Oftakvis Eye Drops is an ophthalmic agent whose active ingredient is levofloxacin, which has an antimicrobial effect on various groups of pathogenic microorganisms.
The drug is used in the treatment of eye infections caused by susceptible to levofloxacin microorganisms.
After use, levofloxacin is well fixed in the lacrimal film. Usually the average concentration in the blood after 60 minutes after application is from 0.86-2.05 ng / ml. The highest concentration of levofloxacin in the blood is fixed on the fourth day after two days of using the drug eight times a day.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Antibacterial preparation of a group of fluoroquinolones for topical application in ophthalmology.
Conditions of leave from pharmacies
It is released on prescription.
How much are Otakwix drops in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of220 rubles.
Form of issue and composition
Medicinal form - eye drops: light yellow or light greenish-yellow solution (5 ml each in polyethylene bottles with a dropper tip, 1 bottle in a cardboard box).
- Active ingredient: levofloxacin hemihydrate, in 1 ml of its solution contains 5.12 mg, which corresponds to the content of levofloxacin - 5 mg.
Additional components: water for injection, hydrochloric acid, sodium chloride, sodium hydroxide, benzalkonium chloride.
Antimicrobial preparation of a broad spectrum of action from the group of fluoroquinolones for use in ophthalmology.
It has a bactericidal effect on streptococci and staphylococci (including those resistant to penicillin), klebsiella, E. coli, corynebacterium diphtheria, mycobacteria (including tuberculosis), hemophilic bacteria (including those resistant to ampicillin), mycoplasmas, chlamydia, gonococci, clostridia, etc.
Indications for use
What helps? Oftakwix has the following testimonies:
- Preventing complications in the pre- and postoperative period after laser and surgical interventions in the eyes.
- Prevention and treatment of posttraumatic infectious complications on the eyeball and its appendages with or without foreign bodies.
- Superficial infections of the eye and its adnexa in patients older than 1 year (blepharoconjunctivitis, blepharitis, subacute and acute conjunctivitis, bacterial ulcers of the cornea, keratoconjunctivitis of bacterial etiology, keratitis, meibomites, chronic dacryocystitis).
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Child age up to 1 year;
- Hypersensitivity to components of Oftakwix or other preparations of the quinolone series.
With special care, the drug should be used in pediatrics.
Use in pregnancy and lactation
In general, it is forbidden to use this drug during periods of breastfeeding and pregnancy, but if bacterial infection, then on the advice of an ophthalmologist you can choose a more sparing local antibiotic.
Dosage and route of administration
The instructions for use indicate that Oftakwix drops are used topically, instilled in the affected eye.
- During the first two days in the waking period - every 2 hours 1-2 drops in the affected eye, up to 8 times / day. From the 3rd to the 5th day of treatment - 1-2 drops in the affected eye 4 times / day.
The duration of treatment is determined by a doctor and is usually 5 days.
Against the background of eye drops Oftakwix can often develop a decrease in visual acuity, a burning sensation in the field of its application, the formation of mucous cords. Less common is chemosis (edema of the conjunctiva of the eye), blepharitis (inflammatory reaction of the eyelids), congestion and eyelid congestion (redness), the appearance of follicles (blisters) on the conjunctiva of the eye, dry eye syndrome, photophobia, irritation and local allergic reactions (rash, itching).
The total amount of levofloxacin contained in one bottle of eye drops is too low to cause toxic reactions even after accidental ingestion.
After topical application of an excessive dose of eye drops, Eye Oftaxx should be washed with clean (tap) water at room temperature.
Before you start using the drug, read the special instructions:
- Eye drops Oftakwix can not be administered subconjunctivally and directly into the anterior chamber of the eye.
- With the simultaneous use of other ophthalmic funds, the interval between instillations should be at least 15 minutes.
- To avoid contamination of the tip of the dropper and solution, do not touch the tip of the dropper to the periorbital tissues.
Due to the presence of benzalkonium chloride in the formulation, eye drops should not be used while wearing hydrophilic (soft) contact lenses.
No special studies were conducted on the interaction of eye drops with Oftakwix.
Since the maximum concentration of levofloxacin in plasma after topical application in the eye is at least 1000 times lower than after taking standard doses inside, interaction with other drugs, characteristic of systemic use, is most likely clinically insignificant.
The reviews report satisfaction with the result of treatment with the drug of the vast majority of patients who used Oftacwix as prescribed by the doctor.
Among the shortcomings most often noted high price of this drug.
The most common analogues are: L-Optik Rompharm, Signtsef, OD-Levox, Zimaksid, Ophthalmodec, Povisep, Tsibarat-Oftan, Posiformin.
Before using analogues, consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The shelf life of eye drops Oftakwix is 3 years from the date of manufacture. The drug should be stored in its original packaging, dark, dry, inaccessible to children at an air temperature of not more than + 25 ° C.
After opening the vial, the drug can be applied for a period of time not more than 1 month.
How to choose probiotics for the intestine: a list of drugs.
Effective and inexpensive cough syrups for children and adults.
Modern non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Review of tablets from the increased pressure of the new generation.
Antiviral drugs are inexpensive and effective.