Nurofen for children is a widespread drug from the NVS group. Effectively removes the symptoms of inflammation, eliminates the heat and pain accompanying infectious diseases.
In the body, ibuprofen is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract and reaches a maximum concentration in the tissues after 30-60 minutes. The active substance is able to stay in the synovial tissue for a long time, creating high concentrations, and slowly penetrating into the joint cavity.
From the body is excreted by the kidneys in an unchanged form, a small amount comes out with bile.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Conditions of leave from pharmacies
Released without a doctor's prescription.
How much does Nurofen for children in pharmacies cost? The average price is at the level of140 rubles..
Form of issue and composition
Children's syrup Nurofen is a syrupy suspension of white with a pronounced orange or strawberry flavor.
The main active substance of the drug is ibuprofen, its content in 5 ml of suspension is 100 mg. It also includes auxiliary components, which include:
- Lemon acid.
- Xanthan gum.
- Sodium natrium.
- Syrup of maltitol.
- Sodium citrate.
- Domiphenum bromide.
- Sodium chloride.
- Aromatizer orange (2M16014) or strawberry (500244E).
- Purified water.
The active substance of Nurofen for children is ibuprofen. As a non-selective blocker, ibuprofen blocks cyclooxygenase 1 and 2 (COX-1 and COX-2) that provides oppression of the synthesis of mediators of inflammation, pain and hyperthermia - prostaglandins. In addition, ibuprofen reversibly inhibits platelet aggregation.
Has analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic effect. The mechanism of action of ibuprofen is due to inhibition of the biosynthesis of prostaglandins - mediators of pain and inflammation. The drug lasts up to 8 hours.
Indications for use
According to the instructions for the use of Nurofen syrup, the following indications are given for its use:
- acute respiratory infections;
- childhood infections;
- post-vaccination reactions;
- the need to reduce heat in infectious and inflammatory diseases in children aged 3 months to 12 years;
- diseases with elevated temperature;
- analgesic for toothache, headache syndrome, migraine, neuralgia, pain in the ears, throat, with sprains;
- muscular, rheumatic, articular pain.
At what temperature can I give the drug?
Pediatricians are advised to give syrup at a temperature above 38 degrees, but if the child feels very bad, for example at 37.5, then the syrup can be used.
Nurofen begins to bring down the temperature, or remove the pain syndrome 20-25 minutes after taking. The drug lasts 8 hours. In some cases, it takes from 30 to 40 minutes for Nurofen to act. It all depends on the state of the child and on what stage the inflammatory process is.
Nurofen for children should not be used when:
- active gastrointestinal hemorrhage;
- inflammatory bowel disease;
- with confirmed hypokalemia;
- blood diseases: hypocoagulation, leukopenia, hemophilia;
- renal and / or liver failure;
- hypersensitivity to ibuprofen, acetylsalicylic acid or other NSAIDs, as well as to other components of the drug;
- bronchial asthma, hives, rhinitis, triggered by the use of acetylsalicylic acid (salicylates) or other NSAIDs;
- if the child has ulcerative lesions of the gastrointestinal tract;
- hearing loss.
Use in pregnancy and lactation
In pregnancy, Nurofen for children can be used in the first two trimester, but only under strict indications and under the supervision of a doctor. The treatment of the drug in the last months of pregnancy is not permitted, since this can provoke the development of uterine contractions.
When breastfeeding, children's Nurofen is not prescribed. If there is a need for treatment, the specialist selects other pills or advises to stop natural feeding.
Dosage and route of administration
The instructions for use indicate that the suspension is intended for oral use. With increased sensitivity of the digestive tract, it is recommended to combine the intake of the drug with food. Before use, the vial with suspension should be shaken thoroughly.
The maximum daily dose for the treatment of fever and pain should not be more than 30 mg / kg of the child's weight, and the intervals between doses are less than 6-8 hours.
Recommended dosage of Nurofen for children, depending on the age and weight of the child:
- Babies from 3 months to 6 monthsIt is required to take, per ml of the drug no more than once in 8 hours. Do not give more than 7 ml per day.
- After six months of ageand up to a year is recommended to take, ml, no more than once every 7 hours. Increase the daily dosage of Nurofen in 10 ml is not recommended.
- From one year of age to 3 years, the baby can be given every 7 hours for 5 ml of syrup. Do not increase the dosage by more than 15 ml.
- Toddlers from 4 to 6years prescribe the administration of such a drug according to the scheme of 7 ml three times a day. Do not exceed the recommended dose of the drug by more than 450 mg.
- Children from 7 to 9 years oldshould take 10 ml three times a day. Increase the dosage by more than 60 mg is strictly prohibited!
- If the child is between the ages of 10 and 12, then the therapeutic dose should be 15 ml three times a day. Do not increase the recommended dose of more than 900 mg.
The duration of therapy should not be more than 3 days. The specified dose should not be exceeded.
If symptoms of the disease persist after taking the suspension throughout the day in children aged 3-5 months, or three days - in children aged six months and older, or their strengthening treatment should be discontinued and refer to to the doctor.
To stop the fever after immunization, children under the age of six months are given a single dose ibuprofen 50 mg (ml of the suspension); if necessary, after 6 hours you can appoint a second appointment in the same dose.
The maximum daily dose of Nurofen for children is 100 mg (5 ml).
The exact dose of the suspension is measured using a measuring syringe attached to the vial (1 ml of the suspension contains 20 mg of ibuprofen, respectively, 5 ml - 100 mg).
Rules for using a measuring syringe:
- The syringe is firmly inserted into the neck of the vial.
- The bottle with the inserted syringe turns upside down, slowly pull the piston down, gaining the suspension to the desired mark.
- Return the bottle to its original position, after which gently turning, remove the syringe.
- Place the syringe in the baby's mouth, slowly press the piston, gradually releasing the suspension.
- After the procedure, wash the syringe with warm water and dry it out of reach of children.
Do not use Nurofen Syrup as an antipyretic for more than three days, as an anesthetic - for more than 5 days. If the fever persists, consult a doctor
With a short reception of Nurofen, a course of up to 3 days, the risk of adverse reactions is reduced to zero.
In general, adverse reactions occurred after eating more than 20 ml per day.
- Disturbances of the respiratory system (possibly development or exacerbation of bronchial asthma, bronchospasm, dyspnea).
- Violations of immunity (increased frequency of bronchial asthma attacks, various allergic reactions - urticaria, pruritus, face swelling, Quincke's edema, Lyell's syndrome, extremely rarely - anaphylactic shock).
- Disorders of the hematopoietic system (anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis, pancytopenia). The general condition worsens, hemorrhages of idiopathic etiology appear, bleeding may occur.
- Disorders of the urinary system (with the use of large doses for a long time - can develop papillary necrosis, acute renal failure).
- Disturbances of the digestive system (constipation, indigestion, diarrhea, very rarely - ulceration, melena, stomatitis, exacerbation of Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis; extremely rare there may be a violation of the function liver).
- Violations of laboratory blood counts (reduction of hemoglobin and hematocrit, increase of APTT, hypoglycemia, increase in ALT, AST, increase in creatinine)
- Violations of the cardiovascular system (with prolonged admission increases the risk of myocardial infarction, heart failure, possibly raising blood pressure).
If this dosage has been exceeded, the child may experience nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, coma, metabolic acidosis, a sense of tinnitus, lowering blood pressure, tachycardia, bradycardia.
It is important to immediately wash the baby's stomach, as this method is effective only in the first hour after taking high doses of Nurofen. Also shown is an alkaline drink, taking activated carbon tablets, forced diuresis. Further, symptomatic treatment is performed.
Before you start using the drug, read the special instructions:
- During the period of treatment, ethanol is not recommended.
- During long-term treatment, control of the peripheral blood picture and the functional state of the liver and kidneys is necessary.
- If it is necessary to determine 17-ketosteroids, the drug should be discontinued 48 hours before the test.
- The drug is contraindicated in patients with intolerance to fructose, tk. contains in the composition of maltitol.
- Nurofen for children can be used in children with diabetes, the drug does not contain sugar.
- Does not contain dyes.
- It is recommended to take the drug as short a course as possible and at the minimum effective dose necessary to eliminate symptoms.
- Patients with renal insufficiency should consult with a doctor before using the drug, since there is a risk of impairment of the functional state of the kidneys.
- When symptoms of gastropathy appear, careful monitoring including esophagogastroduodenoscopy, a general blood test (determination of hemoglobin), and analysis of feces for latent blood are shown.
- Patients with hypertension, incl. in anamnesis, and / or chronic heart failure is necessary consult a doctor before using the drug, as the drug may cause fluid retention, Blood pressure and swelling.
- The simultaneous use of ibuprofen with the drugs listed below should be avoided.
- Other NSAIDs, including selective COX-2 inhibitors: simultaneous use should be avoided two or more drugs from the NSAID group because of the possible increase in the risk of effects.
Use with caution simultaneously with the following medicines:
- Anticoagulants and thrombolytic drugs: NSAIDs can enhance the effect of anticoagulants, in particular, warfarin and thrombolytic drugs.
- Antihypertensives (ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor antagonists) and diuretics: NSAIDs may reduce the effectiveness of the drugs of these groups. Diuretics and ACE inhibitors can increase the nephrotoxicity of NSAIDs.
- SCS: increased risk of gastrointestinal ulcers and gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Mifepristone: NSAIDs should be started no earlier than 8-12 days after taking mifepristone, because NSAIDs may reduce the effectiveness of mifepristone.
- Tacrolimus: with simultaneous administration of NSAIDs and tacrolimus, an increased risk of nephrotoxicity may occur.
- Zidovudine: simultaneous use of NSAIDs and zidovudine may lead to an increase in hematotoxicity. There is evidence of an increased risk of hemarthrosis and hematoma in HIV-positive patients with hemophilia who received co-treatment with zidovudine and ibuprofen.
- Antibiotics of the quinolone series: in patients receiving co-treatment with NSAIDs and quinolone antibiotics, an increased risk of seizures is possible.
- Antiaggregants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors: an increased risk of gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Cardiac glycosides: simultaneous administration of NSAIDs and cardiac glycosides may lead to worsening of the cardiac insufficiency, a decrease in glomerular filtration rate and an increase in the concentration of cardiac glycosides in plasma blood.
- Lithium preparations: there are data on the probability of an increase in the concentration of lithium in the blood plasma against the background of NSAIDs.
- Methotrexate: There are data on the probability of increasing the concentration of methotrexate in the blood plasma against the background of NSAIDs.
- Cyclosporine: increased risk of nephrotoxicity with simultaneous administration of NSAIDs and cyclosporine.
Acetylsalicylic acid: with the exception of acetylsalicylic acid in low doses (not more than 75 mg / day) prescribed by the physician, since co-administration may increase the risk of side effects effects. With the simultaneous use of ibuprofen reduces the anti-inflammatory and antiplatelet effect of acetylsalicylic acid (possibly an increase in the frequency of development acute coronary insufficiency in patients receiving acetylsalicylic acid as an antiplatelet agent in small doses, after the onset of admission ibuprofen).
We picked up some responses from parents who gave Nurofen to children:
- Almira. Nurofen is the only thing that helped us survive the inoculations. It is very convenient to use, with a measuring syringe to gain the necessary amount of suspension, even to the child I give from a syringe, she likes the taste and she accepts it with pleasure. The action is visible after 15min.
- Inga. We were knocked down by the child's Nurofen with a baby's teething temperature. We liked the drug very much. It is simple and convenient to use thanks to a measuring syringe and a plastic bottle, do not be afraid to shed and smash. Good and for a long time brought down the temperature, and the child was not so capricious and irritable. Now this drug is constantly in our medicine cabinet.
- Elena. Nurofen for children is just a salvation for us. With temperature it helps instantly. First, it alleviates the pain, like dental, muscular, etc. Acquainted with him in six months, when the teeth began to be cut. Also given when the temperature rises after all kinds of vaccinations. Now the child is ill rarely, but if suddenly, then the pharmacy immediately after nurofenom, do not even want to experiment with other drugs.
- Alla. The main thing is not to give such drugs at a low temperature, that is, until it reaches about 38, it is better to let the body fight the infection itself. Otherwise, there will not be any sense, because Nurofen, like other antipyretic drugs, does not cure, but only knocks down the temperature.
According to the active ingredient and the pharmacological effect on high temperature, the following Nurofen analogues in the form of capsules, gels, tablets, suspensions produced by domestic and foreign manufacturers:
- Ipren Maxiokold;
- Panadol with paracetamol;
- Nurofen Forte and Ultracap;
- candles Nurofen Plus.
Before using analogues, consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Conditions for the storage of the drug is a temperature not exceeding 25 degrees and the lack of humidity in the room. Nurofen in the form of a syrup should be stored no more than three years, suppositories are allowed to be stored only for two years.
How to choose probiotics for the intestine: a list of drugs.
Effective and inexpensive cough syrups for children and adults.
Modern non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Review of tablets from the increased pressure of the new generation.
Antiviral drugs are inexpensive and effective.