Each woman after the birth of a child changes the usual life rhythm, the regime of the day, nutrition and so on. This causes a storm of emotions that a young mother can not always cope with. Against the background of all these changes, many women can develop postpartum depression, so the symptoms and treatment of this ailment should be studied in detail.
- Causes of postpartum depression
- Physical disorders
- Psychological reasons
- Social background
- Symptoms of Depression
- Diagnosis of pathology after childbirth
- Treatment of postpartum depression
- Treatment with folk remedies
- Prevention of pathology
- Consequences of postpartum depression
Effective tablets for the treatment of depression The causes and symptoms of neurotic depression - how to treat Which doctor can cure depression? Alcohol Depression - Countermeasures What is reactive depression - symptoms and treatment
Causes of postpartum depression
Depression associated with childbirth, gradually occurs in women for a variety of reasons. Usually such a state progresses in an unfavorable family atmosphere. The prerequisites for the development of this disease can be divided into several groups.
Changing the hormonal background is the main reason for the development of depression. Changes in the endocrine system are usually observed in a young mother within a week after childbirth. During this period, the initial stage of postpartum depression begins.
Such impairments can worsen moods:
- heavy births, accompanied by injuries, ruptures and other injuries;
- insufficient amount of nutrients in the body;
- excess weight.
The woman ceases to feel attractive. Her physical condition worsens, causing psychological disturbances.
- unexpectedly difficult birth process, to which the mother was not ready;
- fear of not coping with the role of the mother;
- fear of difficulties in the material support of the baby, usually this factor is groundless;
- occurrence of an unplanned child;
- fear of the birth process;
- previous unsuccessful experience of gestation or the birth of an unhealthy baby.
These are the most common reasons why a woman develops depression.
Important! Women, who had cases of depressive conditions in their relatives, are prone to this disease. Also at risk are young mothers with mental disorders or diseases.
These factors include:
- lack of support for close people after the birth of a child;
- insufficient experience in caring for the baby;
- bad relations between the parents of the child;
- tense situation in the family.
Also, this pathology can develop as a result of such factors:
- Features of the nature of women. If she was selfish, then sharing time with herself and the child would be difficult.
- The period of lactation. The painful sensations that are caused by this process can cause a woman a stressful condition.
- Lack of sexual life. The first time a woman is contraindicated in sexual relationships, and constant fatigue simply dislodges thoughts about them. Problems with a partner begin, which negatively affects the emotional state of the young mother.
Some of these factors are the causes of the gradual development of depression after childbirth. A woman is frightened by the fact that she should already be responsible not only for her life, but also for the life of the baby.
Important to remember! The entire period of childbearing and the postpartum period is required to provide the future mother with care and confidence in the future!
Symptoms of Depression
How does depression manifest in young mothers? This pathology in women causes sudden and unreasonable changes in mood from joy to sadness, from sadness and anxiety to anger. The most pronounced depression occurs after 3 months after childbirth. The young mother has such signs of pathology:
- chronic fatigue;
- any pleasant moments cease to cause joy;
- a complete decline in strength;
- refusal to communicate with close people, friends, acquaintances;
- loss of interest in their appearance and development, as well as the baby;
- sleep disturbance;
- loss of sexual desire and arousal;
- loss of appetite.
In especially severe cases, a woman may even visit the thought of suicide. Prolonged postpartum depression occurs one year after childbirth with the correct complex treatment.
Diagnosis of pathology after childbirth
Clinical diagnosis presents difficulties in identifying the disease. This is due to the fact that the doctor writes off the signs of postpartum depression on the nature of the character and the vagaries of the woman. What kind of doctor should I contact with the problem? Specialists in this matter are a pediatrician who regularly examines the baby from the first days of life, or a gynecologist. If they reveal a suspicion of the development of pathology, then they are referred to a psychologist or psychiatrist for consultations. These specialists diagnose depression after childbirth by testing a young mother. Such testing should be conducted every week. If there is no positive dynamics, then complex therapy is prescribed.
Treatment of postpartum depression
How to cope with postpartum depression? The recovery and treatment of a woman after birth is psychologically carried out, taking into account the severity of the condition, and also depending on the individual characteristics of the course of the disease. Usually, complex therapy includes the following:
- Visiting a psychologist. This is one of the most effective ways to overcome the depressive state. The psychologist helps to solve the exciting problems, give advice or recommendation on many issues. A woman will feel relieved after each consultation.
- Antidepressants. This is a fairly effective group of drugs, but these tablets have many side effects. Therefore, their reception is contraindicated during breastfeeding. But you can consult a doctor who will choose the most effective and safe antidepressants.
- Normalization of the hormonal background. The use of hormonal drugs is required only in cases when depression is caused by changes in the endocrine system.
Also, doctors are advised to adhere to such rules during the treatment period:
- should not forget that postpartum depression is a temporary phenomenon, with correct therapy, the oppressed state passes quickly enough;
- It is not necessary to strive to become the best mom, because for a child this moment does not need proof;
- more rest and sleep, the baby needs a rested and happy mother;
- to involve in the process of care for newborns relatives and friends;
- give yourself time, 30 minutes a day is enough to balance the mental state;
- spend as much time as possible in the fresh air. It is useful both for the baby and for the mother, the more all this time he will sleep;
- to receive positive emotions - to do what brought pleasure before the birth of the child;
- to allocate time for dialogue with the partner in a private;
- properly and regularly eat.
Compliance with the above rules during the treatment period will allow you to get rid of postpartum depression in a short time.
Important to remember! If a woman has not managed to avoid this pathology, this does not mean that she is a bad mom!
Treatment with folk remedies
How to cope independently with this pathology? To combat postpartum depression, alternative medicine can be used. They can replace the use of antidepressants, which negatively affect the development of the baby during breastfeeding. There are many recipes for the preparation of such products. The most effective methods of influence should be considered in more detail.
St. John's Wort
It will take 2 hours to prepare the broth. l. Dried St. John's wort, which should be filled with 1 glass of boiling water. Leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Take this medicine 3 times a day.
It should take 20 g of crushed berries of this plant, add 100 ml of medical alcohol. Infuse the medication for 10 days in a dark place. After the time has elapsed, open the container, squeeze and remove the berries. Leave to stand for 3 more days. Then once again strain the tincture and take 1 tbsp. l. 3 times a day.
Also, do not forget about the use of complex vitamins to normalize the physical condition of women.
It is important to know! Traditional medicine should never be taken with antidepressants! This can give the opposite effect, that is, the state of the woman will deteriorate.
Prevention of pathology
How to avoid postpartum depression? For this it is required to adhere to such rules:
- To pass courses of young mums for preparation for a birth of the kid and the subsequent proper care of it. This will help to prepare mentally for the process.
- Before giving birth, it is necessary to distribute household duties to all family members, since the young mother will not be able to cope with the household, at least for the first time.
- Senior women in the family should share the experience of having children, and also help in caring for the newborn.
- Correctly eat and observe the regime of the day. Mom should be rested and happy.
- Native and close people should surround with care not only the newborn, but also his mother. She should not experience negative emotions. This will help not only to avoid postpartum depression, but also increase the duration of lactation.
Important to remember! Do not ignore the pathology, because it can lead to unpleasant consequences!
Consequences of postpartum depression
What is dangerous this pathology? It can lead to unpleasant consequences for the child. The baby may have insomnia and emotional disturbances in the future. Also, against the background of the disease, women can develop postpartum depression in men. Therefore, in order to protect their replenished family from negative influences, it is required to prepare competently for the process of childbirth and the postpartum period.