Stroke occurs at a time when the blood stops coming into some part of the brain. The brain cells die in the absence of oxygen. Most strokes begin because of a blood clot that blocks the flow of blood to the brain (ischemic). In other cases, this is the result of a hemorrhage to the brain (hemorrhagic). It is necessary to know how to provide first aid in stroke at home, providing a person a chance to get rid of its consequences.
- First aid
- First actions at home
- Ways of antiquity
All about the symptoms and treatment of ischemic stroke Determine the signs of a stroke in men Stroke: rehabilitation and recovery at home Symptoms, treatment and prognosis for hemorrhagic stroke Find out the signs of a stroke in a woman
The risk group includes elderly people and patients who had such a disease among family members. Increase the risk of health problems or bad habits:
- high pressure;
- heart problems;
- high cholesterol;
- some types of disturbance of the heart rhythm, for example, atrial fibrillation;
- a diet high in salt or unhealthy eating habits;
- lack of exercise;
- alcohol abuse or drug use
Such a disease can occur in people of any age. It is important to be able to recognize the first signs. If you have any symptoms, do not try to reach the hospital yourself by trying to reach the ambulance. It is necessary to begin as soon as possible medical treatment.
It is believed that the most favorable predictions are for patients who started receiving treatment within the first three hours. In this case, it is possible to minimize or eliminate the damage that caused the stroke.
Symptoms of a stroke can grow gradually or be sudden. With a rapidly developing symptomatology there are such manifestations:
- a feeling of numbness in the muscles of the face, arm or leg, especially in one side of the body part;
- the occurrence of problems when trying to speak or understand;
- problems with walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination;
- Strong headache;
Not necessarily the presence of all these signs. You can also have symptoms that are similar to a stroke, which quickly go away. Do not ignore them, the lack of adequate treatment at the beginning of the disease can be devastating for the body.
Important!The process can move to other parts of the brain and affect vital functions.
Prior to hospitalization of the patient, first aid should be provided for stroke in the home. Some recommendations should be followed:
- Try to calm the patient. Even if he is not able to respond, he can hear you, and your calmness and confidence will be transferred to him.
- If the consciousness has not been lost, and there is no vomiting, put it on a hard surface without a pillow. It is advisable to lift the legs, ensuring the flow of blood to the head.
- Remove the dentures.
- Food and medicine should not be given.
- Provide fresh air to the room where the patient is.
- Remove clothing if it makes breathing difficult.
- When urge to vomit, put it on one side so that the vomit does not lead to suffocation. Also, make sure that the tongue does not block the airway.
- Place the pelvis next to the vomit.
- If breathing is not available, immediately perform artificial respiration and an indirect massage of the heart muscle.
- Try to hospitalize the patient in a medical institution, for diagnosis, treatment and treatment.
What to do before the arrival of an ambulance? Try the following:
- pay attention to the possibility of free circulation of blood (remove from the patient tight belts and tight clothes);
- watch for patency of the respiratory tract;
- prepare documents (insurance policy, passport);
- remember the list of chronic diseases and medications that are not tolerated by the patient.
These measures will help alleviate the consequences of the hemorrhage process, accelerate the onset of the treatment process.
First actions at home
How to help a person with a stroke? If you had to be a witness of a stroke, you should follow the action algorithm. From the coherence and ability to provide the necessary help a person depends on the prognosis of his disease.
First of all, call the ambulance. It is believed that it is not recommended to move such a patient, but it can be put in a comfortable and safe position, ensuring free flow of vomit (if there is a desire for vomiting).
In order for blood to flow to the head, it is recommended to slightly raise your legs, you can not use the pillow. Provide oxygen access to the place where the patient is.
If a person does not breathe, do artificial respiration and indirect heart massage. Do them until the person begins to breathe on their own, or before the arrival of an ambulance.
Ways of antiquity
Some believe that to relieve the condition of a person who has suffered a stroke, you need to lower blood pressure, making a slight bloodletting. This way healers have used for many centuries.
To do this, it is enough to put the patient in a comfortable position and with the help of a needle to make punctures at the fingertips, slightly receding from the nail plate. At this point, the blood will drain in small drops, gradually relieving pressure, obstructing further hemorrhage into the brain, aggravation of the disease and its manifestations.
Chinese healers successfully apply methods of acupuncture in stroke. A more tangible result is the treatment of a needle with a stroke, caused by ischemic manifestations. The earlier the impact of the needle on the patient begins, the shorter the recovery period.
The finest needles are inserted in certain places of the patient's body and remain in this position for some time (15-30 minutes). Before the introduction, the needles are carefully sterilized and disinfected. Several courses of treatment for 10-15 procedures should be performed.
Doctors complain about the untimely delivery to them of patients with stroke. After a hemorrhage before the start of treatment should not take more than 3 hours. In this case, it is possible to ensure not only the life of the patient, but also his ability to take care of himself or even the disability.
The first medical aid for stroke occurs within the walls of medical institutions. Patients are placed in the intensive care unit of the neurological department. Only after carrying out the research and establishing the causes of the disease, such patients are prescribed medicines.
Since the stroke can be of two types (hemorrhagic and ischemic), prescribed medications of one group of patients can be categorically contraindicated for another.
With ischemic manifestation, medications that dilute the blood (cerebrolysin, cavinton, heparin, pentoxifylin) are prescribed.
In hemorrhagic stroke, on the contrary, hemostatic agents are used. Such hemostatics include etamzilate, aminocaproic acid.
Be careful and take the necessary steps when the first signs of a stroke appear. A timely treatment of a patient who has suffered a stroke, within the walls of a medical institution, will ensure his life and give a chance for a favorable course of the disease, reducing the negative consequences of the disease.