Prolonged runny nose in the child: effective treatmentColds in young children occur very often, especially with weakened immunity. With timely treatment and proper behavior of parents, it soon becomes possible to get rid of unpleasant symptoms.
However, when there is a prolonged runny nose in the child, there is a serious cause for concern, because the disease can cause many complications.
Causes of a prolonged rhinitis in infants
Prolonged runny nose in a child otolaryngologists are treated as chronic rhinitis. This form of the disease is acquired as a result of improper treatment of acute rhinitis. In addition, prolonged rhinitis can be a sign of other inflammatory processes that occur in the child's body. Often, it indicates the development of infectious diseases, influenza, upper respiratory tract diseases.
In most cases, a prolonged runny nose in the baby is a consequence of normal rhinitis. As a rule, unpleasant symptoms - mucous discharge from the nose and nasal congestion, arise in the cold and damp season. There may be several pathogens, usually viruses and microbes, then specialists distinguish between the viral and bacterial origin of rhinitis. Treatment of a prolonged runny nose in a child and is determined by the type of pathogen of the inflammatory process in the nasopharynx. With bacterial rhinitis, the most common pathogens are microbes such as staphylococci, pneumococci and streptococci.
Among other causes of protracted rhinitis, otolaryngologists call such factors:
- weakened immunity;
- frequent colds accompanied by colds;
- absence of any treatment for acute rhinitis;
- constant hypothermia of the body;
- the course of other infectious diseases in the body;
- curvature of the nasal septum - congenital or acquired;
- an increase in adenoid tissue;
- allergic reactions of the nasal mucosa;
- hidden infections.
Signs of a protracted cold in the baby
Finding a protracted runny nose from your baby, you should immediately visit the specialist's office.
To recognize this form of the inflammatory process proceeding in a nasopharynx, it is possible on such signs:
- discharge from the nose are observed for more than 10 days;
- nasal breathing is difficult both day and night;
- total or partial reduction of smell;
- The nose is not transparent, but a thick yellow-green or brown mucus;
- itching, dryness and burning in the nose;
- feeling tired and sleepy;
- sleep disturbance.
Parents are not able to learn about the presence of all these signs in young children, however, the disturbing behavior of the baby should be a cause for concern. If you see that the activity of your baby has decreased, he wants to sleep constantly, but at the same time, sleep is disturbed, the child sniffs, one should consult a specialist.
What can cause a prolonged runny nose in children
Among all the causes of a prolonged runny nose in a child, the disease most often occurs under the influence of allergens and bacterial infection. To cause an allergic reaction can a large number of allergens - dust, pollen of flowering plants, wool of domestic animals. Recognize lingering rhinitis of allergic origin is not so difficult - discharge from the nose, sneezing and stuffiness nasopharynx are noted immediately during or shortly after exposure to an irritant.
Infectious rhinitis, caused by the penetration of children's body viruses or bacteria, usually accompanied by an increased body temperature and inflammation of the tonsils. A child may be disturbed by a cough and sore throat.
Many people do not give the runny nose special significance, considering it a non-serious disease. According to the otolaryngologists, a prolonged runny nose in a child can cause many complications. It exerts a strain not only on the respiratory system, but also on other parts of the child's body - the heart and lungs.
What and how to treat a protracted rhinitis in a child
It is important to know what to treat a prolonged runny nose in a child, because the duration of the course of the illness depends on this. Therapy may be medicated, or treatment may in some cases be performed without the use of medications.How to cure a protracted rhinitis without medications is quite an urgent matter, because many mothers want to do without potent drugs. If the child is sick of the cold before the age of 1 year, the treatment is reduced to increasing the protective forces of the child's body and creating favorable conditions for a speedy recovery. To do this, immunomodulatory medications are prescribed, preferably of plant origin.
Babies need to regularly suck off mucus from the nasal passages, since it is important not to let it stagnate. The child's nose also needs constant moistening, it can be watered or dripped with special solutions based on sea water. You can treat a protracted runny nose with such saline solutions as Dolphin, Aquamaris, Aqualor, Humer.
There are several more effective methods, how to cure a prolonged runny nose in a child without the use of medications - this is inhalation. Such procedures are very effective for prolonged runny nose and its frequent complication - coughing. With a dry cough, inhalations will remove the inflammation from the irritated mucous membrane, moisturizing it, and when wet - will help to secrete sputum faster. With a strong cold, the child, against which cough has already started to appear, will help such an inhalation: take a table spoon of St. John's wort, the flowers of marigold and mint, pour a liter of water, let it brew, filter, place in a steam inhaler and let these pairs breathe the baby for 10-15 minutes.
Cold inhalations can also be performed:moisten a handkerchief or cotton wool in essential oil and let the baby breathe.
For the treatment of the common cold, the butter of thyme, anise and fir is well suited. Activation of certain points on the face promotes rapid recovery of the nasal mucosa and accelerates the healing process.
How to cure a prolonged runny nose in a child with the help of acupressure? It is necessary to massage the points located on both sides of the wings of the nose, the procedure should be performed 2-3 times a day. During the massage you can use aromatic oils, rubbing them into the nasal sinus area. This procedure is indicated for children from 3 years.
We treat a viral, protracted runny nose in a childAlso, parents should know how to treat a protracted rhinitis in a child of viral origin. The best means, which allows to increase the protective forces of the child's body in the fight against a viral infection, is considered interferon. It is available in various dosage forms - candles, drops, tablets, ointments.
Rhinitis in children of bacterial origin, when the nose is a viscous mucus yellow-green or brown, should be treated with antibiotics. Before taking an antibacterial agent, you must thoroughly clean the nasal cavity of pathological contents. Most often, children are prescribed antibacterial preparations of local action, such as Isofra and Bioparox.
Treatment of rhinitis in children, regardless of its origin, should be carried out under the supervision of a specialist. If the disease is allowed to drift, it can cause serious complications - sinusitis, otitis, bronchitis, bronchial asthma, pneumonia.
How to properly treat a protracted runny nose in a child?
The question of how to treat a protracted runny nose in a child, begins to increasingly interest many parents with the onset of cold weather. The child's organism is strongly susceptible to all kinds of respiratory diseases, and the common cold is most often not an independent disease, but only a symptom of viral infections. If you observe a prolonged runny nose in a child, you need to urgently begin to treat it. Launched infectious diseases can threaten not only a cold, but also an inflammation of the respiratory tract.
Prolonged cold and its danger
A protracted runny nose is the most common disease, which, as a rule, is not given much importance. Meanwhile, a protracted runny nose in the absence of proper treatment can lead to serious complications. It is necessary to know that the presence of any inflammatory processes in the child's body is not in itself good.A long rhinitis may indicate the presence of viruses or other pathogens that enter the trachea and bronchi through the nasopharynx and trigger the inflammatory process already there. If you begin to treat the runny nose in time, the disease will pass without a trace.
A protracted rhinitis is a chronic rhinitis, that is, an inflammatory process of the mucous membranes of the nose. A distinctive feature of rhinitis, or protracted rhinitis, as can be seen from the name, is that the disease is characterized by a long period of flow. If the runny nose lasts more than ten days, you can already talk about its chronic form.
A protracted runny nose often occurs in children in the autumn-winter period, in cold and damp weather. This ailment can have an infectious, viral nature. The causative agents in this case are influenza viruses, other respiratory diseases.
In case of weakening of immunity in the child, bacterial rhinitis may develop. Bacterial protracted rhinitis occurs due to a change in the composition of the microflora of the nasal mucosa. In addition, the causative agents of a protracted rhinitis may be staphylococci, streptococci.
Quite often a protracted runny nose is allergic in nature. Allergens, which cause a protracted runny nose, very much. But nevertheless among them one can single out the most typical and widespread ones. The main irritant is dust and the dust mite contained in it, in addition, the reaction can occur on animal hair, down, pollen of various plants.
Causes and symptoms of a protracted cold in children
The reasons for the fact that the child has a protracted long rhinitis are infections, allergens and pathogenic microflora. Of course, this is a fairly generalized classification, it can not cover all the factors that lead to the child suffering from a persistent runny nose. The most common causes of chronic cold are as follows:
- Weakened immunity. Since most viruses and infections enter the body by airborne droplets, that is, when inhaled, the weakened general and local immunity makes the child particularly vulnerable.
- Lack of proper treatment of a common cold. Untreated disease is unlikely to disappear by itself, it will simply grow into a more serious form.
- Constant hypothermia undermines the protective functions of the child's body.
- The presence of any infectious diseases. In this case, a protracted runny nose, is simply a symptom of another disease. It is especially important to choose the right treatment for the child for the child and to alleviate his symptoms.
- Presence of deformation of the cartilaginous or bony structures of the nose. Very serious disease, which is treated only in a hospital. In the absence of treatment, it causes rather serious complications, including those that spread to the hearing organs. Only specialists can determine the presence of pathologies.
- Presence of concomitant infections. In general, we are talking about respiratory diseases.
- Presence of allergens in the house. It can be animals, old furniture and some plants.
The main and most common symptoms that will help determine the presence of a protracted runny nose include:
- prolonged course of the disease (more than 10 days);
- swelling of the nasal mucosa;
- presence of mucous or purulent discharge from the nose;
- nasal congestion, which is especially noted at night;
- headache, which is not accompanied by an increase in body temperature;
- a possible severe cough: mucosal discharge enters the nasopharynx, causing coughing and sometimes vomiting;
- deterioration of sleep;
- general drowsiness and fatigue.
If you notice that such protracted symptoms appear in your child in the presence of an allergen (dust, pollen, wool or fluff), it is necessary to exclude the possibility of contact with the child.
Drug treatment of a protracted coldWhen the baby begins to suffer an attack of a protracted cold, each mother tries to find an answer to the question of how to cure a protracted runny nose in a child.
Since the problem of rhinitis is very common, there are a lot of treatments for it today. All funds are divided into two groups: medicamentous and homeopathic, based on herbs. Both these and other means have their advantages and disadvantages, so the choice here is already for the parents.
Traditionally, with rhinitis, its local treatment consists in the use of vasoconstrictive drops.In the treatment it is important to observe the proportions and duration of application of the drugs.Overdosing them can cause unwanted side effects. In the case of prolonged use, pathogens - viruses or bacteria - lose sensitivity to the active constituents of the drug. In any case, treatment with local drugs should be approved by your pediatrician.
The choice of means of drug treatment depends on the causes of the disease. In most cases, the common cold is only a consequence of the disease. Paying all attention only to the treatment of the common cold, you can only alleviate the symptoms of the disease. Thus, the treatment of the child must be based on the elimination of the cause of the disease.
If the cause of the common cold is an allergy, the child is shown taking antihistamines. In addition, parents should be concerned that the child is shielded from contact with allergens. A protracted runny nose, caused by a bacterial infection, is treated with antibiotics. Coryza, caused by the flu and ARI, is treated locally: with drops along with antiviral drugs.
To prescribe treatment, contact your pediatrician and take tests to determine the pathogen. This will help in choosing the means of treatment.
Treatment of a protracted cold with folk remediesThe main goal for which all folk remedies are calculated is the washing out of purulent, mucous secretions from the nose or the piercing of the embedded nostrils.
Thus, most folk remedies are various solutions, tinctures and lotions.
A prolonged runny nose is treated by rinsing or piercing the nostrils. Folk remedies and herbs in the process of washing provide a good result, remember it is only necessary that such manipulations should be carried out regularly.
Washings are made with warm boiled water. For greater effect, water is added to the water, and even better, sea salt. Washing is not a pleasant procedure, especially for children.
During the washing process, the child should draw the saline solution with the nostrils and try to release it through the mouth.
After washing, drip aloe juice into both nostrils of the baby. Instead of salt, you can also use chamomile. Chamomile is an excellent antiseptic, it has an anti-inflammatory effect.
Folk remedies with a protracted runny nose are not limited to a solution of salt and herbal infusions. With the use of a drop and home preparation. At the same time, the dosage prescribed for children is strictly observed.
Warming is another means of traditional medicine in the treatment of chronic colds. Traditionally, when warming, a bag of pre-heated salt is used. At the same time, make sure that the salt is not too hot and the child does not get burns.
How to cure a protracted runny nose in a child
Any encounter with viruses first of all entails the appearance of a cold. It is almost impossible to get rid of it almost never. Runny nose, lasting for a week, leads not only to the headaches of a small man, but also pretty spoils the nervous system to his parents.
- An excellent remedy for colds andcoldat all times there was a Russian bath. Thanks to its many useful actions, it will help get rid of unpleasant symptoms in a couple of days. It would be nice if in the steam room will be used water with the addition of essential oils menthol or fir. The effect will be strengthened by the fact that before going to the bath with the baby, spread the sacrum with a mixture of grated radish and horseradish at the rate of 1: 1. And after the bath, let the baby drink a mug of decoction of lime or elderberry, with a small amount of juice from any acidic berries.
- A good remedy forcoldis the juice of aloe. Four times a day, bury the child 3-5 drops in each nostril and massage the wings of the nose after that. Also, with a chronic cold, iodine helps. Mix 2 hours. spoons of boiled water with 6-7 drops of iodine, bury in the morning and evening.
- It is necessary to lubricate the nasal cavity with iodoglycerin, to enhance the function of the nasal glands. The first procedures must be performed together with a doctor, and only then at home. The probe with the cotton wool wrapped on it is injected shallowly into the nasal cavity, and the necessary procedure is performed.
- A variety of vasoconstrictive drops have a good effect. But do not abuse them, as long-term use comes dependence on them, namely the signscoldwill return as soon as you stop digging in the nose. The use of aerosols (inhalation) also positively affects the treatment of nasal congestion. Used pairs of plants such as calendula, peppermint, St. John's wort flowers. It is also necessary to use preparations containing interferon - it helps to strengthen immunity and kill viruses. Such funds are used twice a day, in the morning and in the evening.
- To cleanse the nose of mucus, do a washing procedure. To do this, use sea or salt water. The solution can be prepared by yourself, but it is better to get ready at the pharmacy. Also now various sprays and aerosols are produced on the basis of sea water. But be careful, do not overdo the procedures, otherwise you'll just dry up the nasal mucosa, which will cause even more irritation.
Tip 1: How to cure a protracted runny nose
The main causes of protracted cold are complications of infections, as well as manifestations of allergies. Treatment in these cases should be carried out simultaneously in several directions.
Treatment of a protracted cold
Therapy of a protracted rhinitis is carried out simultaneously in the following directions: exposure to the mucosa nose, elimination of the cause and provoking factors, stimulation of the body's immunity, prevention of relapses. If prolonged rhinitis is a consequence of not cured colds or infectious diseases, the choice of medication for treatment depends on the symptoms and health status. With abundant and transparent discharge from the nose, vasoconstrictive drugs are used (Otrivin, Adranol, Sanorin, Nazivin, Ximelin, Vibrocil, etc.).
If the runny nose has an atrophic form, which is manifested by thick and lean secretions and from the nose, antibacterial preparations ("Pinosol" drops, "Bactroban" ointment, "Polidex" spray) should be used. You should also wash your nose with saline solutions or use special sprays (Aqualor, Salin, Aqua Maris). For a few months, a protracted runny nose is treated with physiotherapeutic procedures, a laser, and surgical intervention.
Treatment of a protracted runny nose with allergies should begin with the termination of contact with a substance that causes negative symptoms. Clear manifestations of allergic rhinitis is the sudden onset of the disease, the absence of signs of a cold, the presence of characteristic signs (lacrimation, abundant discharge from the nose, multiple sneezing, shortness of nasal breathing), ineffectiveness of conventional remedies used in the common cold. To treat the manifestations of allergy use drugs of one group - antihistamines in the second row ("Loratadin", "Kestin", "Clarinase", "Zirtek", "Telfast", "Allergodil"). These medicines do not cause drowsiness, weakness, headache and impaired coordination.
How to treat a protracted runny nose
A protracted runny nose can be caused by endocrine disorders, a reflex action on the mucous membrane of the nasopharynx. Its causes may be a change in the temperature of food or air, emotional stress, overwork. In this case, the use of multivitamins and biostimulators is recommended. Wellness activities, frequent airing of the premises, long exposure to fresh air, sports will be useful.
Prolonged rhinitis can be cured by traditional medicine. The inhalation of fumes of chopped garlic or onions is good. The procedure should be performed three times a day for 5-8 minutes. With a prolonged runny nose, you can use aloe juice mixed with honey. It is necessary to wrap a sheet of plant in black paper and put it for 14 hours in the refrigerator. Then squeeze out the juice and mix it with 1/3 of a teaspoon of honey. The mixture is digested in the nose three times a day by a full pipette into each nostril. Folk remedies for the treatment of a protracted runny nose should be used only after consulting a doctor.
How to treat a protracted runny nose in a child?
From constant medical and physio-treatment the child's own immune forces stopped working. What are you, Mom, so started the child? We urgently need to correct the situation. It is necessary not to treat specifically the runny nose, but to increase immunity. Start with the fact that you regularly hover legs in mustard. Apply camphor grind, Breath over boiled potatoes, Is there an aloe or calanchoe in the house? Do from its juice droplets and dig in a spout, drink salted water, do breathing exercises. Do not get a chronicle for school.
And maybe it's already allergic to medicines? Or in general an allergy.
give her vitamin C in a dragee 3 times a day for 2 pills, this will strengthen the immunity of the child
Try rinsing the nose with salt water, "flies" very much.. .
Personal Cabinet Removed
And maybe it's an allergy to animal dust, and so on. Immunity strengthen and try hardening, only gradually and according to the rules, be healthy ..
Take the direction for examination in additional rooms. We were sent to a children's hospital.
Personal Cabinet Removed
In general, a runny nose is an increase in dampness in the body. and the dampness must be dried. You can dry it with salt, half a teaspoon of sea salt in a glass of water, dissolve the salt and bury the child on a full pipette in every napkin, in an hour. My daughter is 3.5 years old and we use this method. Be healthy!!!
1. The most important thing is to the DOCTOR! And - not to a single one - but to a couple of specialists (at the current level of medical care - not superfluous)!
2. More vitamins, especially C, but - observe the recommended dosage (you do not need allergies)!
3. Beware of the transition of the common cold into chronic forms - solve the problem quickly!
4. Prescriptions for the treatment of a common cold (usually - home remedies) - the sea, but use them very carefully - that one is good, the other - poison.
5. Check for allergies - possibly dustiness, stress, various chemical stimuli - and there is a reason.