If you have ever consulted an ophthalmologist with complaints of dry eyes with prolonged use of the computer, their redness, or the development of such ailments as cataracts, glaucoma or much more common myopia, you probably prescribed eye drops.This is one of the most common groups of drugs in this area.Many refer to it indifferently, considering drops an uncomfortable and ineffective tool, and completely in vain: when used correctly they give a good effect. On the types of such drugs, the rules of their selection and application, this material will tell.
- 1Definition of eye drops
- 3Application features
- 4Tips for choosing
Definition of eye drops
Drops for vision improvement are a variety of eye preparations widely used in medical practice for prevention and treatment of various diseases, including cataracts, glaucoma, infectious diseases and others.
Often are part of postoperative therapy, for example, when replacing the lens with an artificial lens.
There are several types of drugs to improve vision, represented in pharmacies. Among them:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs, suitable for the treatment of various complex eye diseases.In turn, they are divided into three large groups: hormonal, non-steroidal, and glucocorticosteroid. Since they contain enough active substances, they are applied only by prescription and only under the supervision of a doctor.
- Vasoconstrictive: "Vizin" and others.Applied only for 3-5 days. They only allow to remove the visible manifestation of pathology, but they do not eliminate the cause. The vasoconstrictive effect in such preparations is provided by a specific component: alpha-adrenomimetic.
- Antibacterial, represented, in the first place, by such a popular drug as "Albucid".Used for prevention, as well as treatment of diseases that cause inflammation (for example, keratitis). Widely used in postoperative treatment.
- Means against glaucoma.Provide an intensive outflow of fluid inside the eye, or reduce its production. On sale, you can find and combined drugs that provide both of these processes ("Fotil", for example). Used solely for the doctor's prescription.
- Moisturizing drops for the eyes, which can also be used when wearing lenses.This category includes preparations of "Systemin", "Oftagel" and many others. They are shown not only to people wearing contact lenses, but also to all who work with the monitor for a long time and suffer from the dry eye syndrome. Can be prescribed without a prescription.
- Drops designed to stimulate metabolic processes.Most often contain an increased amount of vitamins. Actively used in cataracts, as well as other dystrophic processes in the tissues of the eye. To this category include such means: "Quinaks", "Taufon".
- Anti-allergic.It is represented by the preparations "Allergodil", "Hydrocortisol" and some others. Are directed on struggle against seasonal allergies, and also the similar phenomena caused by other reasons. They can contain hormones, because they are recommended for use only on the advice of a doctor.
Also, it is not necessary to remove the various drugs aimed at eliminating certain diseases. Among such, for example, drops for the eyes from lacrimation. With conjunctivitis, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory drops can be used.
Having dealt with the main varieties of drops, let us pass directly to the consideration of the peculiarities of their application.
To ensure that eye drops are as convenient and safe to use as possible, the patient must adhere to the following rules for their use:
- All procedures should be carried out only with clean hands.
- Before applying the drops, it is desirable to remove the make-up and always remove the lens from the eyes.
- For greater comfort, the preparation should preferably be heated before the procedure. It is enough to lower the bottle for warm water. It will quickly acquire the desired temperature and the agent will become more convenient to use.
- To the drug is distributed well on the mucous, you need 30 seconds to hold your eyes open, and then blink. You can also gently press down on the corner of the eye.
In the event that the doctor has appointed or nominated to you reception of 2 and more medicines during short term, do or make between them a break in 15-20 minutes. This will ensure the correct and full impact of the therapeutic drug.
The timing of the use of this or that kind of drops is completely regulated by medical practice.Usually they are 3-5 days (if we are talking about medications or vasoconstrictive drugs), then they are changed to another component of a similar effect, or they take a break in treatment.The only exception is a drop of vitaminized, they are used up to 2 weeks, as well as moisturizers. It should be noted, however, that the prolonged period of use of such funds does not in any way save the patient from having to consult a doctor about the use of the drugs and regularly observe it.
Keep the same drops preferably in a dark cool place, most often manufacturers recommend keeping them on the side shelf of the refrigerator. The drug can not be transferred for use to third parties to avoid infection through the tip of the bottle.
At the end of the expiration date, the medicine should be discarded.Even if your drug is late for just a couple of days, you can not use it.
Tips for choosing
Eye drops to improve vision, in particular, preparations against cataracts, should be selected for the patient by the attending physician.He must determine the type of drug, its dosage, and then choose that remedy among those on the market that will be the most safe for the patient. In the course of such selection, the following will be taken into account:
- type of pathology available to the patient;
- features of work, the rhythm of life, the presence of physical exertion;
- individual intolerance of certain components;
- age and other personal characteristics.
On their basis, the doctor will choose a medicine and write out a prescription for you.Your task is to purchase and use according to the recommendation exactly the preparation that is indicated by the specialist. Then there will be no problems.In the same case, if you contact a pharmacy and you are offered other drugs of similar effect, be sure to consult with your ophthalmologist before using them.Remember: even medicines of one group can contain some minor component, which you can cause allergies. Therefore, health is better not to take risks, especially when it comes to hormonal or antibacterial drugs.
If the medicine is chosen correctly, in the course of its use you will not have any side effects.
For one reason or another, the medicine once chosen for you by a doctor may eventually stop giving you the desired result. This is most often due to the addiction of the mucosa to the drug. It is not necessary to worry in this case. Just reapply to the doctor for the selection of a new medicine and also use it according to the instructions.
What is retinal detachment?
How to cure strabismus in adults read in this article.
Amblyopia of high degree: http://eyesdocs.ru/zabolevaniya/ambliopiya/u-vzroslyx-lechenie-i-obnaruzhenie.html
In general, eye drops are a fairly effective and convenient form of eye medicines, which can and should be used in the treatment or prevention of various diseases, for example, glaucoma in the early stages. In circulation they are quite simple. And that for you they were also most effective and convenient, it is recommended to use them solely on the prescription of the doctor after a long diagnosis and necessarily in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Drops for the eyes when wearing lenses are also prescribed by an ophthalmologist.