Dry cough in the baby
The child coughs when the surface of the throat is irritated. This happens during illness or when the body fights the infection, secreting a lot of phlegm. What if I have a dry cough in my baby? Young mothers often become confused and begin to panic, especially if there is no coughing up. How to help the baby calm down, get rid of this ailment, find out the causes and ways of treating the disease? Treat or rely on folk remedies?
What is dry cough?
Coughing in an adult and a child is one of the reflexes that helps to rid the body of excess mucus, germs and foreign bodies. When it becomes suffocating, the liquid does not clear up in the form of phlegm, then this process is called dry cough. Especially dangerous if it appears in the baby. This is a symptom of a viral infection, which can be of a long character, and can go away in a few days, with proper diet and adequate treatment.
When a dry cough in a baby or older child acquires a permanent character, this is a consequence of a serious illness. An inflamed larynx, trachea or tonsils lead to a severe attack, which becomes suffocating and brings the baby to vomiting. In such cases, you should not torture a child, you need to immediately contact the pediatrician, who will tell you what to take and how to soothe the baby.
To stop the incessant dry cough in a child and to alleviate his condition, it is necessary to determine what triggered this process. Modern medicine has several dozen reasons, the occurrence of seizures in children, we list the most frequent of them:
- Acute bronchitis is a consequence of the inflammatory process in the bronchi, which is accompanied by an increase in body temperature to 38 ° C, dry barking cough, and general weakness. Diagnosis is performed by listening to the bronchi with a stethoscope. Treatment of this disease is aimed at diluting the dried mucus in the bronchi. Dry cough caused by acute bronchitis, successfully treated with drugs and folk remedies for 5-7 days.
- Laryngitis and pharyngitis are diseases in which severe laryngeal edema occurs. Accompanied by a continuous swelling in the throat, a sonorous voice becomes hoarse. At the slightest exertion, dyspnea appears. Dry throat does not give the child peace.
- Whooping cough is an ailment that begins with a dry cough, at first it does not bother the child much. After a week, seizures become more intrusive. It is not possible to diagnose pertussis immediately. there is a similarity with the common cold. Often it is confused with an allergic cough. The disease is long, weakly treatable. Pertussis is ill once in a lifetime, then persistent immunity is produced.
- Diphtheria of the oropharynx (croup) is a deadly disease. It is accompanied by an elevated temperature up to 38 ° C, dry barking cough. Over time, it becomes paroxysmal. If you do not call the doctor in time, diphtheria becomes chronic. Often this ailment is complicated by pneumonia.
- Tuberculosis provokes a dry cough in the child. This disease is determined only by clinical analyzes.
- Allergic and cold cough. These two ailments are often similar in their symptoms. Many parents ask themselves: how to distinguish between an allergic cough and a cold? Do it not just without putting the relevant tests. Allergic cough occurs unexpectedly, has a paroxysmal character, colds, on the contrary, increase gradually, moving from a slight cough to deep spasms for a day or more.
- Bronchial asthma is a combination of three components: allergies, low immunity, disruption of the nervous system. During an asthmatic attack, the child, when inhaled and exhaled, hears whistling sounds in the bronchi, there comes a prolonged, dry cough.
- The presence of some species of living organisms (helminths) in the human body contributes to dry cough in the child. Ascarids live not only in the intestines, like the bulk of worms, but move through all the internal organs: getting into the lungs, they cause a dry cough.
Treatment of cough with folk remedies in children
Many parents during the illness of the child do not want to resort to the help of modern medicine. If you do not want to stuff your child with harmful syrups and tablets, load a small organism with a chemically advertised products, then you can take advantage of the experience of our grandmothers who knew how to treat and how to alleviate the difficult condition patient. Most types of cough in a child can be cured at home, using folk recipes.
Herbal treatment for many centuries has accumulated a lot of experience and does not cease to show a positive result in the fight against a dry cough in a child. Thanks to the healing properties of plants, many diseases are cured, and the preventive use of natural elements secures the result. Here are a few options for useful herbs:
- Mother-and-stepmother takes the first place in the treatment of all kinds of dry cough. Tannins contained in the leaves of this plant have a diluting effect for thick, viscous sputum, helping it to quickly expectorate. Tea from mother-and-stepmother is drunk warm in the morning, and in combination with natural honey will taste even the most fastidious child. It is advisable to drink it in the evening, before going to bed. Providing anti-inflammatory effect, this plant quickly put on the feet of your baby.
- Licorice root like the previous grass has an expectorant effect on sputum. With proper use, it will quickly cure of bronchitis, laryngitis. Will ease the condition with a debilitating dry cough during an asthmatic attack. Licorice has an anti-inflammatory effect, beneficently influencing the general well-being of the child. Grass is used to improve immunity and restore strength after ailments.
- The root of the althea will help get rid of dry cough due to the large content of essential oils, mucus and ascorbic acid. This herb dilutes the withered phlegm, thanks to the enveloping property, contributing to its rapid excretion from the lungs and bronchi.
- Collection of oregano, calendula, mint, licorice root and violet grass has an effective expectorant effect during a dry cough in a child.
In medicine, mustard plasters are used as a warming agent due to the content of essential oil, which causes a rush of blood and leads to a deepening of breathing. Use them with caution. mustard causes increased production of sputum, which can cause spasm in the bronchi and the larynx, hence the complication - obstructive bronchitis. The vapor from the mustard plasters is caustic, and if inhaled, they can cause a mucous burn. The mustard is a distraction, the benefits of this drug have not been proven. Contraindications to use:
- Allergy to mustard. If red spots appear on the back during the application of hot packets, then it is necessary to immediately abandon this procedure.
- Skin diseases.
- Increased body temperature.
- Diseases of the heart and pressure problems.
Children rarely like inhalation, if you manage to persuade your child to breathe over a warm steam, then a dry, prolonged dry cough can be cured quickly without harming your health. Applying this folk way, you will replace them with chemical preparations, syrups and tablets. Advantages of using inhalation for dry cough:
- active moisturizing of the nasopharyngeal mucosa, promotes liquefaction of sputum;
- has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- safety, provided that natural ingredients are used for inhalation;
- adding one or two drops (not more) of lavender essential oil, rosemary or tea tree, you will get a double effect: relieve dry cough and relieve the child of a headache.
But with all the positive qualities that inhalation has, do not forget about contraindications:
- body temperature above normal;
- emphysema (lung disease);
- heart problems;
- presence of purulent sputum.
Do not underestimate the benefits of a simple, at first glance, popular way of cough treatment. During the application of compress on the chest area, deep warming of the tissues takes place. This action has an anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect. Compresses are of several types:
Applying a compress, you need to make sure that the baby's temperature is normal, otherwise it will provoke an even greater increase. Carry out this procedure in the evening, so that after taking off the child immediately went to bed. With care, you need to use a honey compress. Often the child is allergic to this product. Doctors warn parents of alcohol bandages, because, absorbed through the skin, alcohol harms the small body.
Sometimes folk remedies, with all their advantages, do not cope with a neglected disease. Then, to help parents come medication from a night dry cough. To quickly get rid of the disease, you need to seek help from a pediatrician who will tell you how to relieve a fit of cough and prescribe the appropriate treatment. Antitussive medications are taken at night, just before bedtime, and expectorants during the day.
Modern pharmaceuticals consist of several hundred different syrups from cough, expensive and cheap. Made for the child, they have a pleasant sweet taste, the smell, thanks to the fruity additives and natural dyes. This medication is prescribed for children under three years of age. a child of this age is difficult to swallow a pill. Syrups from a dry cough in a child, depending on the cause of its occurrence, have a soft, enveloping effect. Before use, read the instructions carefully, exclude contraindications. There are several types:
- syrup with antitussive effect, for example, "Sinekod". It is prescribed for an unproductive, painful, not ceasing cough. He treats such diseases as pertussis, croup;
- syrup with mucolytic effect, such as "Ambrobe" is prescribed in order to soften the cough and dissolve thick sputum;
- syrup with spasmolytic action, for example, "Pectolvan Ivy is taken to relieve a painful, barking dry cough.
Preparations for allergic cough
The most effective way to cure this kind of cough is to eliminate the source of allergy. This can be animal hair, dust, chemicals (washing powder, aerosols). In case this did not solve the problem, you need to use the drugstore drugs that suppress the allergic reaction. Only a doctor is entitled to prescribe a treatment. It is necessary to know that such medicines have an effect if you cleaned your house of the cause that caused the allergy. Otherwise, the action will be weak.
To ease the obsessive cough in a child, the doctor often prescribes a dry potion. This drug before consumption is diluted with boiled water and taken internally. Advantages of dry medicine:
- has a natural composition, which includes the root of licorice;
- has a wide range of actions, it is used as an expectorant, relieves spasm, painkiller;
- convenient dosage in the form of bags, used immediately after manufacture;
- large expiration date.
With pneumonia, inflammation of the bronchi, trachea and laryngitis, the doctor, in addition to folk methods, prescribes soluble powders from a cough, such as "ATSTS". This medicine is taken for 7 days. Relief comes on the second day of treatment. Well dissolves the dried sputum and allows it to easily release bronchi and lungs. Due to the irritating and antioxidant effect it fights bacteria and infection, which is caused by ARVI.
What to do if a dry cough does not go away
The longer the child coughs, the faster the coughing habits in the brain are formed. The reason is gone, and the seizures remain for months. In most cases this is due to dehydration of the body, low level of humidity in the house. These reasons are easily eliminated by copious drinking (not carbonated, not sweet drinks), daily wet cleaning, or by the inclusion of an air humidifier (preferably).
Video: Komarovsky on a dry cough
All respected doctor Komarovsky as no one else will be able to talk about the causes of prolonged dry cough, how to help alleviate the condition of a sick kid and his parents, if the child he coughed all night. Available and with the humor inherent in this pediatrician, he will disclose information about the methods of treatment, about contraindications to these or other methods. Answer the most exciting questions of parents.
Feedback on treatment
Irina, 27 years old: "My son is 3 years old. A month ago I started to go to the kindergarten, less than a week passed and fell ill next morning. I returned home with fever. Dry cough only began at night. I did not know what helped in such cases and began to treat it with folk remedies: I made chamomile, mother-and-stepmother and rose hips. After applying herbs, a few days later the cough became wet, the runny nose disappeared. "
Olga, 25 years old: "After discharge from the hospital, my baby has a dry cough. I did not know how to properly treat in children up to a year this disease. The child was without temperature and there were no other signs of a cold. Accidentally I saw the transfer of Dr. Komarovsky, who talked about coughing in children. The reason was found in the soft toys and carpet that were in our room. "
Natalia, 32 years old: "When my child has an unproductive cough, I think it's from the dry air in the house and I know how to stop the illness: I conduct a wet cleaning in the room, I enter the drinking regime, in the form of clean water and warm tea with honey, I turn on the humidifier for a night from dry air, aired house. I do not close the window for sleep, even in winter. And that's all! I do not welcome any chemistry, and we do not go to the doctors, we do not drip anything into our nose. "
What is dangerous and how to cure a dry cough in a child?
All children cough, but the reasons for this phenomenon can be different. The most unpleasant is a dry cough in a child. It can occur for several reasons, on which further treatment depends. During a dry cough, sputum is not excreted, which is why it is often painful for a child. To determine the treatment, especially a newborn child, you need to visit a doctor to find out the reason for which a cough occurs.
How to treat a cough?
Cough is a protective reaction that occurs due to irritation of the respiratory tract, and ensures the removal of foreign particles or mucus from the throat.Including the child can cough because of a virus or a bacterial infectious disease.
The main causes of cough are:
- particles of a foreign character;
- irritation of respiratory organs, that is, their walls with excessively dry air, chemical vapors or cigarette smoke;
- presence of allergy;
- diseases associated with respiratory organs;
- bacterial infections;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- helminthic penetration;
- beginning of teething.
Dry cough as a manifestation of various diseases
By intensity, the cough is divided into a light, medium or simple cough. In toddlers, it can be either short-term or permanent. Time may vary by time:
- in acute form - up to 3 weeks;
- subacute - up to 8 weeks;
- in chronic form - more than 8 weeks.
Such a cough can signal the diseases associated with the respiratory system, the circulatory system, and also the digestive system. With different diseases, cough has a specific character. He is paroxysmal, suffocating, whistling and barking. May be manifested in the morning or in the evening. There may be other symptoms: a stream of snot, a general weakness. Often, cough accompanied by high fever, but maybe without it.
Diseases that are accompanied by a dry cough
Often a child's cough is dry before the age of 1 year, it helps to free the respiratory tract from sputum and occurs most often in the morning hours.
Dry cough after an acute respiratory viral infection occurs due to the departure of accumulated sputum and means that the disease will soon end.During the flu, the child coughs hard, strongly, feeling pain in the chest. The body temperature rises.
With a persistent narrowing of the laryngeal lumen, a dry cough happens in the baby before sleep or coughing occurs at night. Cough during pertussis is paroxysmal, dry, strong, accompanied by specific buzzing. The attack ends with sputum discharge. Often with pertussis cough in children goes into vomiting. The disease has a protracted character.
Cough may be present with some problems with the gastrointestinal tract. It occurs as a result of a reaction to irritation with gastric juice. In this case, seizures occur when the body position changes, during or after a meal. When dry cough occurs only at night you can suspect the presence of heart failure. Moreover, this cough occurs in attacks and in a dream.
Cough in combination with wheezing occurs with bronchial asthma. Not accompanied by an increase in body temperature. If the cough is strong, persistent and does not combine with other manifestations, then, perhaps, a foreign body has got into the airway of the child, while it occurs in the form of seizures and is regular. Occurs with pain in the chest and suffocation. If the baby coughs all the time with a dry cough, and other manifestations are not observed, the doctor's help is needed.
A dry cough with fever can be a symptom of measles, pleurisy, the onset of bronchitis and other diseases. Usually it does not last long and then goes into the wet one. A prolonged, constant, long dry cough often speaks of tumors of the respiratory tract or tuberculosis. With helminthic penetration, the child has a rare and prolonged dry cough.
Danger of dry coughDry cough may have complications:
- deterioration of sleep quality;
- loss of consciousness;
- tearing of the mucosa;
- sudden release of urine;
In newborn babies, an attack can lead to a short-term stoppage of breathing. When you have a dry cough in a child, you need to show it to the doctor.
Methods for detecting the disease:
- X-rays of light;
- magnetic resonance imaging of respiratory organs;
- blood test;
- other functional methods.
If violations of the respiratory tract are not identified, additional methods of examination are prescribed.
Medicines, warming compresses, rubbing and gatheringMedicines that can be given to a baby with a dry cough:
- Mucolytic agents (ATSTS, Bromheksin, Lazolvan, Ambrobene).
- Expectorants (Gedelix, Doctor Mom, Pertussin).
- Antitussives (Glaucine hydrochloride, Codeine).
- Means of combined effect (Ascoril, Bronholitin).
Rubbing should be done for children under the age of two. In addition, the procedure is not recommended for suspected false cereals and for bronchial asthma.
The remedies used for grinding are Dr. Mom, Pulmeks and Eucumbal.
Warming compresses, as well as mustard plasters give a local effect and help in the removal of accumulated sputum. These manipulations are forbidden at high temperatures. With regard to compresses, they are made in the space between the shoulder blades and the neck zone and left for the night. Mustard plasters are placed in the subscapular zone.
Nursing fees, which are sold in the pharmacy, are excellent preparations for dry cough. They are used for inhalation or as a decoction or tincture.
Treatment with traditional medicine and the use of antibioticsThere are many recipes of folk medicine from dry cough:
- Compress on the basis of sunflower oil: cotton material impregnated in oil, put on the chest, covered with polyethylene, then - with a dry cloth, a towel, left overnight.
- Soda inhalation with garlic: put boiled water in pre-ground garlic, boil for a few seconds and remove from the hot plate. Then add one teaspoon of soda. Inhale this mixture you need, covered with a blanket. Bactericidal qualities of garlic will also help to resist infection.
- Burnt sugar with milk: sugar is heated on the stove until it becomes dark brown. The syrup is poured into a bowl of milk. The resultant lollipop is placed in the mouth until absolute resorption.
Antibiotics are prescribed for bacterial cough, for example, with pneumonia or bronchitis, which are accompanied by fever. In the case of a viral cough, antibiotics will not remove this symptom.
In case of an attack, it is necessary to create certain microclimatic conditions in the room to begin with. The air must be humid and slightly cool. You need to open the windows and use the means to moisten the air. In the absence of such, you can hang wet towels in the room. To facilitate breathing, the child must breathe warm and moist air. You can take the child to the bath and turn on the tap with hot water. However, no foreign smells should be in the room..
For distracting therapy, while the attack begins, it is allowed to use hot baths on the legs. If the child does not have an allergic reaction, you can spread on the skin in the area of the wrists or temporal zone ointment on eucalyptus. The child should be given plenty of fluids. It is best to drink baby lime tea, warm milk, cranberry juice, tea with a spoon of honey, warmed alkaline mineral water.
Preventive measures against dry cough
Preventive measure against cough is considered, first of all, to prevent the cause of its occurrence (viral diseases, infections, allergic reaction)..
Including important role is the maintenance of the microclimate in the nursery at the optimal level. The normal temperature in the room is not more than 24 ° C, and the humidity is 60%. It is necessary to protect the baby from passive smoking and inhalation of suspensions of household chemicals.
At the child very strong, dry tussis - than to treat?
Cough with regular tracheitis and bronchitis
Most often begins as dry, unproductive. There is no sputum. The main task is to first achieve its appearance. In the early days - the use of mucolytic drugs or drugs of mixed action (* they include, in particular, lazolvan, ambroben, bromhexine), then - expectorants. If the cough becomes productive, the baby coughs up phlegm well, all drugs can be canceled, go to a chest massage. Do not forget to give plenty of water to the child with warm solutions (mors, teas, juices). If there is no high temperature, you can apply from the first days of distraction (hot foot bath, mustard, rubbing). All this, strengthening the flow of blood to the respiratory organs, increases the appearance of sputum.
CASHEL IN VIRUS FARINGITES
With the defeat of only the uppermost parts of the respiratory tract - the pharynx - very often a persistent, frequent dry cough accompanied by sneezing is observed. No functional load this cough is not and very exhausting patient. Here the help can consist in carrying out inhalations with herbs, oils, soda inhalations, giving at night medications that calm the cough.
Call a doctor, whistling - a threat of asthma. Perhaps the child must be urgently hospitalized.
Check throat, if not red, then eliminate allergens
Mukaltin or ambroben, ACC and potion (can be lazolvan) You can syrup of licorice root
In the hospital, antibiotics will be pricked and microflora
Effective is a doctor, you have a child sick, and not a computer buggy to engage in amateur performance. I do not want to give tragic examples of self-treatment.
An inhaler, with an amber. Nothing helped us except him! The cough was, as with pertussis, before vomiting, after the first inhalation it became easier.
In hospital for a long time it was necessary will address.. this may be pertussis
BLACK TITLE WITH HONEY. We ALWAYS EAT ONLY FOR CHILDREN.
beer is hot (how tolerant
consult a doctor. I, unfortunately, the child after such a cough came to the hospital with pneumonia. if you need urgently and now, call the ambulance, you will be advised by phone. Get well!
ACC drink on day 3 as the child began to cough up!!! Try inhalation (if there is no temperature), but it is better to call a doctor.
Cough is a manifestation of many diseases. Cough can occur with colds, bronchitis, tracheitis, pleurisy, pneumonia and other lung diseases. First of all, you need to treat the underlying disease, but at the same time, it can be facilitated by using cough remedies.
Traditional methods of cough treatment:
1) Grind 500 gr. peeled onions, add 2 tablespoons of honey, 400 gr. sugar and cook over low heat in 1L. water for 3 hours. Then cool and drain. Store in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator. Take a mixture of warm 1 tablespoon 4-5 times a day with a strong cough.
2) From the cough is useful to eat onions, toasted in butter and mixed with honey.
3) Mix in equal parts the purified hazelnuts and honey. Take 1 teaspoonful 5-6 times a day with warm milk.
4) Mix honey and horseradish juice in the ratio:. Take small portions throughout the day with a cup of tea. To drink for the whole day 2-3 cups of this infusion.
5) Wipe the ripe bananas through a sieve and put them in a pan with hot water at the rate of 2 bananas per 1 glass of water with sugar. Warm up and drink this mixture when coughing.
6) When coughing, cut into small cubes a black radish and put it in a saucepan, sprinkling with sugar. Bake in the oven for 2 hours. Strain and drain the liquid into a bottle. Drink 2 teaspoons 3-4 times a day and at night before going to bed.
7) When treating a cough, the healer Vanga advised to cook 1 potato, 1 onion, 1 apple in 1l. water. Cook until the water is less than half. This broth drink 1 teaspoon 3 times a day.
8) Fresh cabbage juice with sugar is useful as an expectorant for coughing. A decoction of cabbage with honey works well.
9) With a prolonged cough, mix 300gr. honey and 1kg. crushed aloe leaves, pour the mixture, l. water and bring to a boil. Keep on low heat for 2 hours, stirring. To cool. Keep in the refrigerator for no more than a month. Take 1 tablespoon 3 times daily before meals.
10) Juice from aloe leaves mixed in equal proportions with warm honey and butter. Take 1 teaspoon 4 times daily before meals with a strong cough.
11) Mix 3 tablespoons of severed birch buds with 100 gr. unsalted butter, put on fire, bring to a boil and simmer on very low heat for 1 hour. Strain, squeeze, kidney discard. Add 200gr. honey and mix well. Take with cough 4 times a day before meals.
12) Freshly cut nettle roots and finely chopped in sugar syrup. Take 1 tablespoon per day with a strong cough.
13) Pour 1 teaspoon of nettle grass, l. steep boiling water, insist, wrapped, 30 minutes and strain. Drink as tea for expectoration and dilution of sputum.
14) 1 tablespoon chopped plantain leaf pour 1 cup of boiling water, insist on a boiling water bath for 15 minutes, cool and strain. Take 1 tablespoon 5-6 times a day with a strong cough.
15) Thymus broth or liquid extract is used as an expectorant for coughing.
16) When coughing it is recommended to drink hot milk with butter: ¾ cup of milk for 50 grams. oil.
first you need to cough liquefied, mukaltin will do, the child suffers 3 days already... Doctors urgently call!
Scourge braids !!!
If there is no tempo. Heat the onion peel on a clean oven, more on medium heat and breathe this smoke until it turns black. Do not rush to ventilate the room. And immediately compress from 2-3 medium. boiled potatoes in the outfit, crush along with kazhura, add 2 drops of iodine, h. l oil is growing. rumble and on the neck area. Until the warmth and cold drink cool down!
this is serious! the child may have stenosis or pneumonia. I advise you to see a doctor
We are best served by Assistance. Syrup of natural origin. you can even give the smallest. Personally, we have allergies and addiction to it. how many times a dry cough has been treated and every time it helps
The doctor should listen, and if this is a dry cough from the bronchi, then the syrup Prospan helps us well to clear his throat and remove the mucus. It is without dyes, natural. We are in the first aid kit, just in case.
Dry cough in a child, how to treat dry cough?A dry cough in a child occurs when mucus and sputum are not secreted, it intensifies, and pain can be unbearable. In order for the treatment to be effective, it is necessary to find out the reason why the child had this symptom. If the infection is of a bacterial nature, a course of antibiotics will be prescribed. When cough is provoked by colds, it will be enough to steam inhalations and puff rubbing. It is important not to engage in self-treatment of the child, clearly adhere to the necessary dosage.
Causes of dry cough in a child
1. Because of a viral infection that adversely affects the respiratory system. At first the child has a perspiration throat, can be irritated a little, then there is a cough. Sometimes it grows into wet. When the cold passes a cough can dry out, the mucus ceases to be released in sufficient quantity. Colds are most often treated at home.
2. Dry cough due to the flu virus, resembling catarrhal symptoms. To the child it is very bad, at first the cough is dry and hoarse, then it becomes moist.
3. Often a child may be exposed to a variety of adverse irritant factors. The child sensitively reacts to tobacco smoke, he breathes heavily in dry or hot air, also in cases of strong chemical substances.
4. Because of gastroesophageal reflux disease, this happens if the acid that has accumulated in the stomach, begins to rise sharply back, because of this, it burns up in the esophagus, saliva separation increases, vomiting occurs. Note that the acid in the stomach strongly irritates the throat, the child begins to cough constantly.
5. Dry cough due to an infectious dangerous disease - whooping cough, the disease is contagious, has a bacterial nature. Children who have whooping cough, have a kind of cough, you can hear an unusual buzzing sound. Dry cough severely vymarivaet child, it is hard for him to breathe, he has tears in his eyes, blue saliva, tongue falls forward.
Treatment of dry cough in children
You can not treat cough with medication, if your child is under two, there may be a number of dangerous side effects. Older children may be prescribed medications that help to calm the cough reflex, and only the irritation from the throat area is removed from the babies.
Pay attention, often children have a large number of side effects on drugs - the head begins to feel dizzy, the child quickly becomes tired, so all medicines should be given to night.
Such medicines as "Robotussin" are popular with dry cough, it can be prevented by a strong cough. For a long time, the "Delsim" suspension is enough, with the help of it you can alleviate the symptoms of the child for one day.
At home, steam inhalations will help, also use humidifiers, effectively apply cool steam, so you can clear the nasal passage, stop the inflammatory process in throat area. From a dry cough helps a child get rid of such a recipe, for him you need to take lemon juice, honey, mix everything thoroughly. With the help of this remedy you can remove toxic substances from the body of the child, it is also recommended to cook chicken broth, as often as possible give warm drink, rinse helps effectively, it uses warm salt water, if there is no allergic reaction, you can add a little iodine. If the child is more than 4 years old, you can use lollipops.
Features of dry cough without temperature
When the child begins to cough, the temperature does not rise, the symptoms of a cold do not appear, this says that the child has a foreign body in the throat, some irritant has come, which provoked seizures dry cough. Irritant can be anything - a children's toy, food, dust. Please note, irritated child cough can start abruptly, while it causes suffocation.
It is important in this situation to take timely measures in time, the main thing is not to panic, you need to take the child, put him on his knees, head and body should be lowered down, then open his mouth and help clear the throat a little bit between spatula. After the foreign body comes out, the dry cough ends, despite this it is necessary to call the attending physician to find out whether there are any injuries in the respiratory system.
Often a dry cough without temperature in a child can appear in the baby, he often worries early in the morning. This cleans the child's respiratory tract, because a large amount of sputum accumulates at night.
In some people, cough is provoked by physiological features, when sputum is excreted along with bacteria. Often a child can be disturbed by a dry, unproductive cough, he does not allow the child to sleep, he is sick both physically and psychologically.
Often, a medical treatment can be prescribed to treat a child, additionally prescribed inhalations, physiotherapy procedures, massages. Dry cough can sometimes be a symptom of a serious illness.
Methods for treating dry cough in a child
If the child is worried about a severe dry cough, you need to warm up the milk, add a little soda, so you can moisten the cough. Dry cough in a child can be cured with juice from a black radish, add a little honey, also recommend cooking broths with Ledum, mother-and-stepmother, elecampane, thyme extract, anise. Pay attention, folk remedies are not always effective, can only aggravate the disease even more, cause a serious allergic reaction. It is recommended to use nebulizer for inhalations, this is an effective way, so it will be possible to quickly rid the child of dry painful cough.
So, dry cough can be dangerous for the child, it is important to start treatment in time, so that it does not worsen. Especially it is dangerous for small children, because it can provoke suffocation, serious complications.
Treatment of dry cough in children and adults - drugs, folk remedies
Dry cough is an unconditioned reflex, which performs the function of cleansing the respiratory tract from various irritants - sputum, mucus, pus, foreign bodies, thereby helping to clear the bronchial tree and trachea.
Usually, dry cough appears at the beginning of any infectious, viral illness, colds. Depending on the causative agent and immune response, its intensity can be different, from minor to debilitating, paroxysmal, intensifying during sleep.
How to treat dry cough in children and adults, what medications and folk remedies can be used to relieve it and quickly transfer to moist? This is our article.
Causes of dry cough in children and adults
Before starting the treatment of dry cough, it is necessary to establish the cause that caused its appearance. If it's a common cold or flu, then with bed rest, copious drinking regimen, symptomatic therapy through a few days a dry cough becomes productive with a light sputum - this is a good sign, indicating that a person recovers.
A dry cough is an excuse for addressing a therapist, as a whole range of diseases can hide behind him. Moreover, if a dry cough does not pass 10 or more days - this is a serious reason to contact a therapist or pediatrician.
The doctor, on the basis of examination, anamnesis of the patient, can send for the following tests and diagnostics:
- General blood analysis
- Fluorography for suspected pneumonia or if not done in the last 2 years
- According to the indications - X-ray in 2 projections (suspicion of cancer, tuberculosis, sarcoidosis)
- Sputum culture for changes in fluorography or radiography and for decreed groups.
- When purulent sputum and the presence of capacity in the laboratory - sputum culture to identify the pathogen and sensitivity to antibiotics (in clinics is not done).
- When suspected of bronchial asthma - spirography with samples (on berotek, cold).
- If necessary - referral to an allergist for scarification tests for allergy and examination of the ENT with smears from the throat and pharynx for eosinophilia.
- When X-ray diagnosis of tumors - bronchoscopy, MRI or CT on indications.
- With foreign bodies - examination of ENT, bronchoscopy
- If suspected pertussis - blood tests for immunoglobulins or PCR mucus from the throat.
The main causes of dry cough in children and adults:
- ARVI, flu, cold (how is the flu differs from ARVI)
- Bronchial asthma, COPD, irritation of the respiratory tract from chemicals - bronchospasm, allergic cough
- Coryza, sinusitis, sinusitis, adenoids, chronic allergic rhinitis
- Children's infectious diseases - diphtheria, false groats (barking cough in a child) and such that are also in adults - whooping cough, measles.
- Pleurisy, pneumonia, acute or chronic bronchitis, tracheitis, tracheobronchitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis (treatment in children).
- Oncological diseases of the respiratory system organs - lung cancer, bronchial cancer, throat cancer, larynx, etc.
- Congestive heart failure, aortic aneurysm
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Cough smoker
- Foreign body in the respiratory system - often happens and causes a dry cough in children.
How to treat dry cough in children and adults correctly
If dry cough is not caused by catarrhal and viral diseases, then tuberculosis, oncology, cardiac or allergic etiology of coughing should be excluded. After careful diagnosis, on the basis of the established diagnosis, appropriate treatment is prescribed. And we will consider the treatment options for non-productive cough with the most common variants of its appearance - for cold, viral, infectious diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract.
Drugs for dry cough
- Drugs of central action that suppress cough: Butamirate (sinecode), Glavent (for children from 4 years).
- Combined medicines: Codterpine, Codelac (from age 2) additionally improve sputum discharge, dilute Sputussin sputum (children older than a month), Glycodine (from 12 months), with antipyretic action - Grippostad (from 6 years).
- Peripheral action of cough remedy: Levoprot (from 2 years), Libexin (from 3 years).
A plentiful warm drink with a dry cough is the key to a quick recovery
A plentiful warm drink is a banal phrase, everyone knows about it, but sometimes it does not attach much importance to this important component of treatment. And after all, on the basis of how much liquid a patient drinks, the speed of the transition of dry cough to wet with sputum under different catarrhal and viral diseases directly depends. You can drink the following vitamins:
- Cranberry juice, currant jelly, raspberry
- Broths of medicinal herbs, in the absence of allergies to them - are decoctions of plantain, mother and stepmother, licorice, sage, dog rose
- Hot tea with lemon, honey, raspberries
- It is useful to drink warm goat milk, while melt in it a piece of butter or add almond oil, honey (but only to those who do not suffer from pancreatitis). It is very good to drink such a drink at night.
- Black radish juice with honey
- Warm mineral alkaline water without gases
- Infusions of licorice root
Inhalation with dry cough
Inhalations are also a very effective way to relieve dry cough. For the implementation of inhalations, you can use special devices - nebulizers, inhalers, and also they can be carried out In the old way - breathing over the steam, covered with a towel, you can also use a teapot spout, and inhale the vapor through paper cone. Solutions for inhalation can be very diverse:
Medicinal products Lazolvan, Ambrobene, ACTS inject, Fluimutsil, Sinupret, Rotokan, Tolsigon N, marigold extract.
- Decoctions of various herbs - sage, St. John's wort, chamomile, calendula, raspberry leaves, peppermint, coltsfoot, leaves of eucalyptus, juniper, pine buds, ready-made collections by Eucarom No. 1 or Ingaphitol collection for inhalations (chamomile and sage).
- More information about the methods of inhalation, medications, various solutions for inhalation in bronchitis, laryngitis, cold, flu, please read our article.
Rubbing, massage, compresses for the treatment of non-productive cough in children
Rubbing, massage, compresses - any heating procedures can be performed only if there is no high body temperature in the patient. Especially cautious should be treated with such drugs in the treatment of dry cough in children.
If the child has a dry cough that is allergic or caused by whooping cough or a false croup - in these cases the use of various strongly smelling or allergenic means can worsen a condition, especially often causes an allergy of ointment - Doctor Mom, which structure includes - camphor, menthol, eucalyptus, muscat, turpentine oil, thymol. For ointments that have a warming effect, you can refer - Doctor Mom, Barsuchok, Pulmeks, Evkabal - many pediatricians Do not advise to use these ointments for children under 2 years, and in case the child is prone to allergies, do not use at all.
As for the massage, it can also be produced only at a low body temperature, in the absence of even suspicion of complications from Orvi or influenza. It is best for bronchitis, because the massage is designed to improve the sputum, but it can also be produced when the condition is relieved with an unproductive cough in children and adults. Drainage massage should be done very diligently, after a warm bath. After the massage the child should lie down about half an hour, while it should be covered with a warm blanket, and at night you can make a compress.
For a compress, you can make such a solution - 1 tbsp. a spoon of sunflower oil, 1 tbsp. spoonful of vodka, 1 tbsp. a spoonful of honey - this mixture should be heated in a water bath. In this solution, soak a linen rag, so large as to cover the neck and the interlap zone, put cotton wool on top of the cloth, then cellophane. To the back of the baby, you should fasten the compress with a scarf or scarf. It should be borne in mind that the child so have to sleep all night, the nodules should be made small and placed on the side. Every day, such a compress should not be done, it is better every other day.
The room in which the child sleeps with the compress should be cool air. Very carefully, you should use alcohol for compresses, you can not use it in large quantities, because skin in children under 7 years partially fulfills the function of respiration, and with an overdose can occur alcohol poisoning the kid. The same applies to the use of vinegar to remove temperature - this is an old folk method of reducing the temperature in a child often leads to poisoning, it is not worth it to use.
Medicinal Plants to Help
The use of medicinal plants - in pharmacies you can buy ready-made breast doses, which you can use inside, and do inhalations. Among medicinal plants, a significant expectorant and mucolytic property possess the following herbs: oregano, altea root, sage, mother-stepmother leaf, anise fruits, licorice root, pine buds.
|Breast gathering number 1||Mother and stepmother, althea roots, oregano|
|Breast gathering number 2||Plantain, mother and stepmother, licorice root|
|Breast gathering № 3||Sage, althea roots, anise fruits, pine buds, licorice root|
|Breast gathering № 4||Chamomile, sprouts of ledum, calendula, licorice root, mint, violet grass|
|Phytopectol № 1||Mother and stepmother, althaea roots, oregano|
|Phytopectol number 2||Plantain, mother and stepmother, licorice root|
Climatic conditions in the patient's room with a dry cough
Creating the optimum humidity and air temperature in the patient's room is also an essential condition for the early transition of dry cough to productive, because dry, dusty, too warm air aggravate the condition of the mucous membranes of the nasopharynx and the state of the lower respiratory ways. It is very important to observe the right climatic conditions in order to avoid complications from viral and infectious diseases so that pathogens do not descend to the lower respiratory tract.
- Humidity should be not less than 50%, more precisely from 50 to 70%
- Air temperature not more than 20С
With dry air, especially in the heating season, you can easily cope with the help of special air humidifiers, on the wound of household appliances they are now a great choice. It is more difficult to create a comfortable temperature, if the apartment has central heating and you can not regulate the heating of the room, in this case, you should always keep the windows open.
It is also very important that the air is clean, for this you should make a daily wet cleaning, the room should be missing carpets and carpeting. It is also best to use air purifiers.
Antitussive - it is dangerous to use without prescription
Combined antitussives with a dry cough should only be used as prescribed by the doctor, such as Sinecode, Stoptusin, Libexin, Broncholiths, since these drugs can lead to stagnation of sputum, mucus in the airways, some of them have a central effect on cough centers.
They are shown with such diseases, when dry cough is painful, it strongly prevents sleep, for example, with whooping cough. It is best to use for the treatment of dry cough Herbion with plantain, Bronchicum, Linkas.