Medical procedures in any branch of medicine provide for the use of drugs not only therapeutic or prophylactic, but also changing symptoms. Most often, these substances are used for research, but in some cases they can also cause a therapeutic effect. Medication forms of this group include eye drops Mesatone.
- 1Description of the preparation
- 2Pharmacological action and group
3Indications and contraindications
- 3.2In pregnancy
- 3.3To small children
- 4Possible complications caused by the drug
Description of the preparation
The drug is released as a clear solution, packed in a plastic bottle of 5 ml, equipped with a special dispenser for ease of use. The bottle is placed in a cardboard box with the official instruction.
The main active ingredient of the preparation is phenylephrine hydrochloride, its concentration in the composition of drops equals,%, as excipients are decamethoxin (antiseptic), polyethylene oxide (dehydrating agent), macrogol (binder component), purified water.
To store the drug, certain conditions are necessary: a temperature regime in the range of no higher than 25 ° C, inaccessibility to direct sunlight.At observance of requirements eye drops Mesaton keep the properties not less than 2 years, however after opening it is necessary to use a medicine within 14 days.
Pharmacological action and group
The main active substance (phenylephrine hydrochloride) belongs to the group of alpha-adrenomimetics - stimulating the work of alpha-adrenergic receptors.This causes the pupil to dilate and narrow the vessels. The mydriatic effect after application of the drug is shorter than when using atropine, but it comes more slowly.
Mesaton does not affect the accommodation, as well as other symptomatic means. Pupillar dilatation is observed after about 15 min. after instillation and remains in this state in the time interval from 4 to 6 hours. Simultaneously with the dilatation of the pupil, contraction of the muscles of the conjunctiva occurs.If there is a need for a prolonged or repeated study, then the instillation is repeated.
The presence in the composition of both active and auxiliary substances, affects the amount of intraocular fluid in the direction of decrease. Thus, the intraocular pressure decreases.
The drug undergoes minimal systemic absorption and is excreted as metabolites through the kidneys.
Also read what it is Phenylephrine.
Indications and contraindications
The main use of eye drops Mesatone - in the conduct of diagnostic procedures, when a thorough and in-depth examination of the distant parts of the eyeball is required. The dilatation of the pupil makes it possible to conduct a survey of the most inaccessible areas and to identify possible lesions.
The drug can also be used in the following cases:
- Irit treatment.Inflammatory processes in the iris occur as a result of severe infections (tuberculosis, influenza, syphilis), accompanied at the initial stage by painful sensations that spread to the region temple. Later they are joined by photophobia, lacrimation, blepharospasm, the eye color changes;
- Treatment of iridocyclitis. Inflammation involves not only the iris, but also the ciliary (ciliated) body - a part of the vascular membrane to which the lens is attached. The disease most often affects young people aged 20-40 years and is a consequence of how infectious diseases of the eyes, and metabolic disorders, as well as stress, fatigue, hypothermia;
- Carry out a provocative test. Used for diagnosis in patients with suspected closure angle glaucoma, as well as in patients with a narrow angle profile of the anterior chamber;
- Treatment of glaucoma-cyclical crises. Periodic attacks of increasing intraocular pressure occur with a sharp violation of the outflow of intraocular fluid. In this case, as additional symptoms, slight eye pain and blurring of the image without signs of vascular injection are observed;
- Treatment of red eye syndrome. This symptom often occurs with conjunctivitis or so-called. "Dry eye". However, reddening may also have other causes: episcleritis or scleritis, trauma, an attack of angle-closure glaucoma, keratitis, blepharitis, etc.
Eye drops Mesaton are used as part of complex treatment and can be used only after examination and consultation of an ophthalmologist at the recommended doses.
The drug is prohibited for use with hypersensitivity to phenylephrine hydrochloride or other components in the drug.
The list of other contraindications includes:
- Presence of a narrow-angle or angle-closure glaucoma;
- Impaired produce tears;
- Injuries of the eyeball.
With caution, the use of the drug for patients in old age, increased function of the thyroid gland, severe heart failure is recommended.
We also recommend reading the instructions for the use of eye drops Dexamethasone.
Mesoton eye drops are used only topically and in minimal doses (1 drop at a time), so the systemic effect on the body occurs in microscopic doses.Since no one conducts studies on pregnant women, the manufacturer must indicate this period in the list of contraindications.
However, although the systemic impact is minimal, it still exists, as with any drug.And, consequently, there is a threat of negative impact on the fetus.Therefore, it is highly discouraged to apply anything yourself when carrying a child, especially in the first semester, until the placenta is finally formed.
It is possible to use the drug only in case of need of a single examination on the recommendation of the attending physician, who will be able to take into account the degree of need for the drug and the individual condition health.
To small children
Since reliable data on the use of the drug in the treatment of young children does not exist, its use can be carried out only on the advice of a pediatrician and in a short time.For example, in surveys.
If there is a possibility, it is better to give preference to a drug with more studied properties, similar in effect to the required drug: Pheniaffrin, Irifrin.
Possible complications caused by the drug
When instilled, undesirable side effects may occur:
- Reactive hyperemia;
- Visual impairment;
- Irritation and discomfort;
- Increased intraocular pressure.
Causes of Yellow Eye Protein
Rehabilitation after eye surgery is described in this article.
Instruction on Ofloxacin http://eyesdocs.ru/medicinaoperacii/lekarstva/osobennosti-primeneniya-glaznyx-kapel-ofloksacin.html.
When used during the use of a drug other medications It is necessary to inform the doctor, as Mesatone may strengthen or weaken the action some of them.
During the instillation, visual acuity is lowered, therefore, persons conducting the activity requiring increased attention should take a break for the procedure.
Eye drops Mesatone is a symptomatic drug that can promptly expand the pupil and has a vasoconstrictive effect in a short time. It is used both in diagnostic and in medical practice.
The drug has a minor systemic effect, but its use is possible only after consulting an ophthalmologist with the recommended dosage and timing of treatment.
Read about what nystagmus is and how to treat demodectic eyelids in humans.