How to treat a bad cold?
Nasal congestion and discharge from the maxillary sinuses are considered one of the most unpleasant symptoms of infection or allergy. Before treating a bad cold, you need to find out the exact reasons for its occurrence. It is also important to determine the causative agent of the inflammatory process and to conduct laboratory tests on the response to histamines.
What should I do if I have a bad cold?
First, you need to find out what factors triggered the appearance of this symptom.
If the cause of the common cold is a viral infection, a long-term complex therapy is needed. As a rule, it consists of the following drugs:
- Immunomodulators and immunostimulants, allowing to strengthen the body's defenses and stop the spread of pathogenic cells.
- Vitamins and ascorbic acid. These drugs help to normalize metabolic processes, produce an antioxidant effect.
- Antihistamines. Good cope with allergic rhinitis or recurrence of hay fever.
- Antiviral medicines. Prevent further mutation of healthy cells due to infection, ensure the destruction of the virus.
The first and last group of drugs is often issued in a combined form. Among them, the most effective are Interferon, Viferon and Cycloferon.
In the case when bacterial infection acts as a provoking factor, antibiotics are prescribed for a severe cold. Previously, a swab should be taken from the nose to determine which specific microorganisms caused the disease, and also to establish their sensitivity to a number of antimicrobial agents.
The most preferred are broad-spectrum antibiotics:
Sometimes cephalosporins are effective:
The most secure antimicrobial agent is Augmentin.
How quickly to cure a bad cold?
If necessary, to eliminate the described symptom in the shortest possible time and to facilitate nasal breathing, one should use local medicines in the form of medicinal solutions and drops. Most quickly, vasoconstrictive drugs cope with this task:
It is important to note that such drugs are addictive, so they can be applied no more than 5-7 days.
There are also drops with immunomodulating effect, for example, IRS 19. In parallel, you can take homeopathic remedies (Sinupret, Otsilokoktsinum, Aflubin, Viburkol).
Treatment of a strong cold with folk remedies
Non-traditional methods of therapy of pathology are based on vasoconstrictor and antiseptic action. Especially recommended are natural drops:
- mixture of honey with boiled water (proportions:);
- freshly squeezed juice from the leaves of aloe;
- infusion of calendula flowers or chamomile;
- decoction of St. John's wort;
- juice from boiled beet.
The listed liquids should be instilled in each nostril by1-2 drops not more than 4 times a day, otherwise irritation may occur. To wash the mucous membranes and facilitate the removal of the separated masses, use a saline solution (1 teaspoon of salt per glass of water).
In addition, folk medicine advises to take funds with a high content of vitamin C to maintain immunity and antioxidant effect:
- compote of berries or currant jam;
- cranberry juice;
- a broth of hips;
- juice from fresh cabbage leaves;
- tea from licorice root.
Coryza: the main causes of
- Rhinitis in the baby
Our nose is "busy" by heating, purifying and moisturizing the air we breathe. To do this, he needs mucus, moisturizing and helping to keep the airways clean.
A healthy person produces about two liters of mucus per day. In inflammatory diseases, such as colds and sinusitis, with hypothermia of the nose or allergies, the production of mucus increases. Excessive secretion of mucus, accompanied by inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity, and is called "rhinitis" (he also rhinitis).
The rhinitis can be acute and chronic and is divided into three types according to the nature of the causes of its appearance:
- allergic rhinitis (allergy in the form of a cold);
- non-allergic rhinitis;
- mixed rhinitis, which is a combination of the two previous ones.
VarietiesAcute and chronic rhinitis Allergic When teeth erupt During pregnancy With blood Chronic Slime in the throat infants with eruption of teeth Physiological in newborn Neurovegetative rhinitis Vasomotor allergic rhinitis Protracted The child has
Usually the cold runs for several days. However, it is worth to see a doctor if:
- there were problems with breathing;
- after the onset of a cold a fever appeared;
- there is a green or yellow discharge from the nose;
- feel pressure on the inside of the forehead and cheeks;
- there was a pain in the ear;
- very sore throat;
- a runny or stuffy nose without a cold does not go away after a week.
How to quickly get rid of non-allergic rhinitis
Treatment of non-allergic rhinitis depends on how much it worries the patient.
Treatment of a coldDrug treatment Folk remedies Ointments Powders Hydrogen peroxide Sea water One day
Irrigation of the nose with salt water is one of the first answers to the question of how quickly to get rid of the common cold. This is a very effective therapy for non-allergic rhinitis.
Rinsing of the nosewith the use of isotonic saline (salt water) helps to reduce the tumor of the tissues of the nose. In addition, the solution flushes the thickened discharge, irritating substances (pollen, etc.), bacteria and crusts from the nose and sinuses.
- Rinsing of the nose can be done several times a day.
- Rinsing of the nose is often done using a syringe (without a needle, of course) or a special watering can.
Antiedematous nasal agents(in particular, based on xylometazoline, tetrisoline and naphazoline) are also used to relieve the symptoms of the common cold, for example Xylenes.
It is important to know
Do not use such remedies for more than 3 days, otherwise the stuffiness of the nose can become even stronger after stopping the use of nasal decongestant spray or drops.
While oralantihistamineshardly help with non-allergic rhinitis, antihistamines in the form of a nasal spray can reduce the symptoms of the common cold. Side effects may include bitter taste in the mouth, headache and fatigue.
If the symptoms of the rhinitis strongly disturb the patient, the doctor may prescribe a corticosteroid nasal spray containing fluticasone or mometasone. Corticosteroids help prevent and treat inflammation associated with certain types of non-allergic rhinitis. Their possible side effects include upset stomach, nausea, headache.
It is important to know
All of the above means have contraindications, so before using them you need to consult a specialist.
How quickly to get rid of a cold without using medicines?
- Drink plenty of fluids, except for soft drinks with caffeine.
- Use a humidifier in the room, as well as an air humidity meter.
- You can make your own home remedy for the common cold by mixing a quarter teaspoon of salt with 1 glass of cool water.
- Bury from 2 to 3 drops in each nostril several times a day.
Than to treat an allergic rhinitis
The first approach to managing the seasonal or perennial form of allergic rhinitis is to avoid allergens that cause unpleasant symptoms.
- Avoid using window fans that can bring pollen and mold into the house.
- Wear glasses on the street to minimize the amount of pollen that gets your eyes.
- Do not hang clothes outdoors to dry. Pollen can cling to towels and sheets.
- Keep the windows closed, and use the air conditioning in the car and at home.
- Reduce the impact of dust mites, especially in the bedroom. Use "anti-tick" cushion covers, blankets and blankets, and spring mattresses. Often, wash the bedding in hot water.
- To limit the impact of mold, keep the humidity in the house at a minimum level (from 30 to 50 percent) and clean the bathroom, kitchen and cellar regularly. Use the dehumidifier, especially in the basement and other humid places. If the mold is visible, remove it with a mild detergent and a 5% solution of bleach.
Home TreatmentAloe Buckthorn Bark Oak Eucalyptus Fir Oil Butter Juice Tea Tree Oil Kalanchoe
Than to treat a rhinitis with an allergy?
Intranasal corticosteroidsare the most effective class of drugs for the treatment of allergic rhinitis. They can significantly reduce nasal congestion, and also minimize sneezing and itching.The most common side effects of corticosteroids are local irritation and nasal bleeding.
Antihistamineswidely used for the treatment of allergic rhinitis. They resist the effect of histamine, which enters the body in an allergic reaction. Although other chemicals are involved in the onset of allergy symptoms, histamine is their main culprit. Antihistamines are offered in the form of eye drops, nasal sprays and, more often, tablets and syrup.
Antihistamines help relieve allergy symptoms, such as:
- sneezing and itching;
- mucus from the nose;
- itching and burning in the eyes, lacrimation and redness of the cornea;
- skin itching, hives and eczema.
It is important to know
There are dozens of antihistamines; Some of them can be bought at the pharmacy, while others require a prescription.
Proper use of these drugs is just as important as their choice. It is best to use them before there is a bad cold. The dose taken at the beginning of the development of allergic rhinitis, can eliminate the need for numerous subsequent doses.Treatment of an allergic rhinitis with antihistamine preparations of the first generation (chloropyramine, promethazine and etc.) can cause lethargy or poor performance, which can lead to an accident or trauma.
Even when these medicines are taken only at bedtime, they can cause drowsiness the next day. For this reason, it is important that the patient who takes such drugs refuses to drive the car or work with dangerous mechanisms.
Than to treat a cold to people who by the nature of activity can not refuse such employment? Antihistamine products of the second generation (cetirizine, ebastin, astemizole, acrywastine, etc.). Many of them do not cause drowsiness and have minor side effects. They should be appointed by a doctor.
Strong rhinitis in the baby: what to do?
Severe and delivering big problems with the breathing of the runny nose is an excuse to immediately show the child to the doctor. A specific cure for the common cold will be determined by your child's doctor based on:
- the age of the child;
- general health, and medical history;
- reactions to various drugs.
Drugs from the common coldCinnabsin Arbidol Corisal Remantadine Balm Asterisk Albutide Oxolin ointment Levomekol Vishnevsky ointment Sofradex Snoop Vital Rinoflumacil Polidexa with phenylephrine Protargol for children Sulfacil sodium Collargol Rhinonorm Siallor Physizm Ximelin Isofra Dolphin Vibrocil for children
Than to treat a strong rhinitis at the child?The intake of medicines (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and decongestants) is aimed at alleviating the symptoms of viral non-allergic rhinitis.
- Medications against edema of the nasal mucosa containing xylometazoline may be given to children 2 years of age or older.
- Preparations based on oxymetazoline are used from the first year of life.
- Patients (or their parents) should be warned about the inadmissibility of prolonged use of decongestants, because they can cause the opposite effect.
It is worth noting
Allergic rhinitis is more common in boys. It accounts for 7% of all chronic rhinitis in school-age children (≥6 years). Children with allergic rhinitis often suffer from a severe cold.
- To help the child for a while to get rid of a strong cold, add fresh or dried chamomile flowers or chamomile oil in a bowl of boiling water and let him breathe the steam from the water.
- Employees of the medical center of the University of Maryland believe that nettle can help alleviate the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, although there is no serious clinical research, proving this. Nettle helps to lower the level of histamine in the body. It can be used as a tea or food additive. Although nettle is considered a safe remedy, it can sometimes lead to fluid retention and stomach upset. It is contraindicated in pregnancy. Stinging nettle can enhance the effects of certain medications, including anticoagulants, diuretics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Before using any of the above, consult your physician..
Than to treat a strong rhinitis and zalozhennost a nose?
Difficulty of nasal breathing with thick mucous secretions is an indispensable sign of SARS and ARD. For adequate symptomatic therapy, it is important to choose correctly, than to treat a severe runny nose and nasal congestion, given the cause of pathological symptoms. It is also necessary to combine local and systemic effects, especially when combining acute rhinitis with purulent inflammatory processes.
How much of the chemotherapy drugs to treat a very strong runny nose and nasal congestion?
In traditional medicine, preference is given to drug solutions for intranasal administration. Such drugs are classified into separate groups, each of which performs special functions.
The most effective means in drops from a strong cold and nasal congestion:
4. Antiviral and combination:
- Euphorbium Compositum;
The following tablets are used as systemic medicines:
- Cold storage;
- Orinol Plus.
Strong specific drugs (antibiotics, hormones, antihistamines, antiviral) are selected only by the otolaryngologist.
How to treat a strong runny nose at home with folk remedies?
The most effective method of eliminating nasal congestion is a drop on the basis of juice from the leaves of aloe. It is important that the plant is at least 2 years old.
Prescription for a cure for a cold
- freshly squeezed aloe juice - 1 hour. a spoon;
- boiled or distilled water - 1 hour. a spoon;
- honey h. spoons.
Preparation and use
Mix all specified ingredients in a glass container. Bury the solution 2-3 drops in each nostril up to 5 times a day.
From chronic forms of rhinitis, a compress on the basis of honey and horseradish helps a lot.
Cake recipe for nasal congestion
- rye flour h. spoons;
- grated horseradish root with juice - 1 tbsp. a spoon;
- honey - 1 tbsp. a spoon.
Preparation and use
Combine all the components, form a flat flat cake from the resulting mass. Apply a compress to the bridge of the nose, with a strong burning put cake through gauze.
Treatment of a severe cold in pregnancyA severe runny nose during pregnancy is a common phenomenon. In this case, pregnant women should know that the common cold is not always caused by a cold or an infectious disease. In medicine, such a thing as "rhinitis of pregnant women" is known, it also causes an increased formation of mucus in the nose. Especially often there is such a runny nose in pregnancy in the 3rd trimester, when the hormonal background of the female organism is most susceptible to changes.
It is known that during the gestation of a child, the use of any medication is undesirable. However, the runny nose can not be neglected. The main risk of rhinitis during pregnancy is that nasal congestion disrupts the normal circulation of oxygen in the respiratory system. As a result of this process, oxygen starvation may develop, which leads to intrauterine hypoxia of the fetus.
A woman who constantly suffers from a runny nose, has headaches and dizziness. Due to the poor supply of oxygen to the brain of the future mother, neurotic symptoms can be observed, such as:
- increased irritability;
- sleep disturbance.
With nasal congestion, the woman is forced to breathe through the mouth, which causes the penetration of pathogenic microorganisms into the lower respiratory tract. Such a process can lead to the development of dangerous complications - tonsillitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis.
What to do if you have a bad cold during pregnancy in the 3rd semester
Than to treat a strong rhinitis at pregnancy, depends on the nature of its origin. If a woman really has a "rhinitis of pregnant women he does not require any treatment. This state of the female body is caused by an increase in the level of sex hormones necessary for the normal carrying of the child. In this case, the abundant secretion of mucus in the nasopharynx will continue throughout the pregnancy, and soon after the birth will pass independently without medical intervention.
To ease the condition of a woman and improve nasal breathing, you should regularly wash your nose with saline. The most commonly used products are based on sea water, which do not have harmful effects on the female body and are safe for the fetus of the child.
Treatment of a runny nose in pregnant women in the 3rd semester should be rapid, comprehensive and safe. At an infectious and bacterial rhinitis the first place is occupied with vegetative agents. In the fight against viruses and bacteria a powerful action is possessed by thyme, chamomile, oregano and calendula. These herbs are used for inhalation and nasal washing.
If you start treatment after the first signs of rhinitis, you can quickly get rid of the disease without medications. Abundant drink and nose bridge massage are effective and safe methods of rhinitis treatment. It is important to know what to do with a strong cold in pregnancy to cure it at an early stage of development and prevent complications.