The results of a blood test can tell a lot about the general condition of a person. One of the most important indicators is cholesterol. It is a fatty alcohol that participates in many vital processes. Its increase can lead to dangerous diseases. This condition requires medical treatment. Let's consider, what effective tablets from cholesterol are offered by the modern market of pharmacology.
- Types of drugs
- Preparations of the group of statins
- Medicines of the group of fibrates
- Other drugs
- Benefits and side effects
Which cholesterol statins are the safest and most effective Table of cholesterol in the blood of men How to lower high cholesterol at home Why cholesterol rises in the blood Useful products - cleansing vessels and lowering cholesterol
Types of drugs
To date, there are a number of pharmacological groups of medicines designed to normalize the cholesterol in the blood. From them you can choose the best tablets. These include:
- Statins. This is the most effective group of drugs, aimed at lowering the blood cholesterol. The principle of action of these tablets is the inhibition of the enzyme HMG-CoA reductase. This substance is responsible for the production of cholesterol in the liver.
- Fibrates. They are aimed at reducing the concentration of certain fractions of lipoproteins in the blood and accelerate the excretion of cholesterol with bile. Fibrates are an excellent prophylaxis for the onset of atherosclerosis and infarction. With regard to the shortcomings of this group of drugs, they have the following side effects: a change in the composition of bile, toward increased stone formation, which increases the risk of cholelithiasis, can cause arrhythmia, skin rashes, digestive disorders, and also have reduced efficacy compared to statins.
- Sequestants of bile acids. These drugs bind bile acids in the intestine and block their reabsorption into the blood, which causes additional amounts of bile acids to be formed in the liver. For their products, cholesterol is additionally captured from the blood, which leads to a decrease in its content. In addition, they can reduce the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins: A, D and K. Their use causes side effects in the form of disruption of the gastrointestinal tract.
It should be noted that today there are no drugs to reduce cholesterol on a natural basis.
It is important to know! In addition to medicines, this diet can be reduced by a diet and full complex vitamins, as well as smoking cessation and lowering of blood pressure. According to modern recommendations, taking drugs that lower cholesterol should be started after a strict diet for a month.
Preparations of the group of statins
This group of medicines is classified by generation. There are four in total. We will review the preparations, according to the classification.
The active substances of the first-generation statins are simvastatin, lovastatin and pravastatin. This group includes such medicines:
Despite a significant number of analogues in the pharmacology market, the principle of the action of the first-generation statins is the same. Dosage is selected individually, depending on the condition of the person. At an early stage of use, usually 10 mg per day is prescribed.
The average cost of statins of the first generation is 100-600 rubles.
The second generation
A feature of this group of statins is that fluvastatin acts as an active component. Strengthen the effect can be by diet. The second generation of statins is represented by a single drug:
Approximate cost of the medicine is 2600-3000 rubles.
Atorvastatin acts as an active component of this group of medications. It acts several times more efficiently than the previous groups. There are fewer side effects. The most common drugs of the third generation are:
Contraindications to the reception of statins of the third generation are liver diseases: hepatitis, liver failure, cirrhosis, as well as pregnancy and the period of breastfeeding. The approximate price of statins of the third generation is 300-1000 rubles.
The fourth generation
This medicine is a new generation. Active substances are rosuvastatin and Pitavastatin. Used usually with a significant increase in cholesterol. Statins of the new generation are represented on the market by such tablets:
- The Cross;
You can buy statins of the new generation at an approximate price - 500-1500 rubles.
Important to remember! Taking statins from high cholesterol is necessary only after consulting a specialist! The doctor will assess the patient's condition, depending on this, appoint the most effective remedy. The effect of taking medications develops slowly (about 1-2 months from the beginning of admission) and passes after the withdrawal of drugs, so taking statins should last a long time, often for life.
Medicines of the group of fibrates
Fibrates are drugs that are aimed at reducing low and very low density lipoproteins.
The list of the most common medications of the fibrate group:
These drugs are suitable for prolonged use. They are used when the diet is ineffective and as a backup drug when it is impossible to treat statins or their inefficiency.
Important to remember! Fibrates have a significant number of restrictions! Therefore, before using them, you should carefully read the instructions for use.
They differ in their pharmacological properties in comparison with the above mentioned drugs, the following medicines:
- Probus. This tool reduces the rate of both "bad" and "good" cholesterol. The volume of triglycerides does not change. It can be used in conjunction with other drugs aimed at reducing cholesterol for maximum effectiveness. It should not be used in pregnancy, with heart disease and blood vessels, as well as cholelithiasis.
- Medicines based on nicotinic acid (niacin, vitamin PP). This component reduces the concentration of "bad" cholesterol in the blood, increases the level of "good". Begin receiving these drugs with a minimum dosage, which should be gradually increased. A distinctive feature is that the effect of nicotinic acid develops faster than most other drugs - for 4-5 days. Nicotinic acid is contraindicated in diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, diabetes, gout, during pregnancy and lactation.
- Phytoesters. These are natural preparations that help not only lower the cholesterol index. These funds without side effects. But their effectiveness is not as high as that of statins, fibrates, and so on. The most common drugs in this group are garlic tablets.
Drugs to reduce cholesterol very much. But you should not choose the medicine yourself. Self-medication can adversely affect the health status.
Benefits and side effects
Side effects, which are usually accompanied by taking medicines for high cholesterol, are:
- disorders of the digestive system: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;
- disruption of the functioning of liver cells;
- pain and swelling of the muscles.
As regards the advantages of these medicines, they are:
- improve blood composition;
- dilate the walls of blood vessels;
- prevent increased atherosclerotic plaques.
Also, tablets from cholesterol are an excellent prevention of the occurrence of a heart attack or stroke. In addition, they are appointed during the rehabilitation period after a stroke.