One of the important indicators of fat metabolism, indicating the risk of atherosclerosis, is cholesterol. The norm in men by age in the table will help to understand what values confirm the pathology. This parameter is necessarily taken into account by doctors in the diagnosis of diseases of the endocrine system, blood vessels, kidneys, liver.
- The age norm of cholesterol in men
- The reasons for the increase in the norm
- What to do when high or low - treatment
- What to do with high cholesterol
- How to increase the level of healthy cholesterol
- How to avoid violations of the norm
Observe a diet with high blood cholesterol What is the norm of cholesterol in women - the table by age We take tablets from high cholesterol The level of cholesterol in adults and children - a table by age Rapid reduction of cholesterol by folk remedies
The age norm of cholesterol in men
Cholesterol (cholesterol) is a polyhydric lipid alcohol, one of the basic building materials of cells. The most useful fats can be found in red blood cells, liver and brain tissues, nerve fibers. Reducing the level of lipids is as dangerous as increasing them. Therefore, men should know what should be the ratio of useful and harmful fats in the blood.
In terms of cholesterol, there is a notion of good and bad cholesterol - what does it mean? Proper lipids - alpha cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) - freely penetrate into tissues and internal organs, participate in metabolic processes. Dangerous fats (low density lipoproteins, LDL) are most atherogenic, their particles deposited in the walls of the vessels, which leads to the formation of dangerous plaques. The result is an atherosclerotic lesion of the cardiovascular system, an increased risk of stroke and heart attack.
The levels of good and bad cholesterol show a biochemical blood test, age indicators are listed in special tables.
Elevated cholesterol - what does it mean? In men, the average allowable norm of total cholesterol is 5.2 mmol / l, LDL - no more than 4.8, HDL - up to 1.7, triglycerides - no more than 2 units. The range of normal values depends on the laboratory that carried out the analysis. Reference values are always indicated on the form.
Table of cholesterol content for men
|Up to 30||Up to 6,3||Not more than 1,6||Less than 4,3|
|Older than 70||4-6,9||0.7-1.8||2.3-5.3|
A blood test to determine the level of cholesterol is taken from the veins on an empty stomach, the last meal should be at least 8 hours before the examination. The day before, do not recommend eating fatty foods. Doctors advise to conduct diagnostics for all men after 30-40 years, because the modern image and pace of life negatively affects the state of the vessels. After 60 years to be examined every 6-12 months.
Important! Men need to carefully monitor the lipid in the blood, because their sex hormones do not protect the organs of the cardiovascular system, in contrast to the female!
The reasons for the increase in the norm
About 80% of cholesterol synthesizes the liver, the rest of the amount of lipids enters the body with food. Excess fatty foods in the diet is fraught with the development of hypercholesterolemia.
The main causes of increased cholesterol:
- genetic predisposition - familial hypercholesterolemia;
- sedentary work, lack of regular physical activity, obesity;
- pernicious habits, frequent stresses;
- endocrine diseases - diabetes mellitus, gland failure in the thyroid gland;
- hypertension, impaired renal, hepatic, pancreatic function.
To provoke an increase in cholesterol can be a long time taking certain medications. The age is also important - hypercholesterolemia often develops in men after 50 years.
Important! Without useful cholesterol, the work of the reproductive and digestive system worsens, the vitamin D deficiency develops, the synthesis of fatty acids stops!
What to do when high or low - treatment
Hypercholesterolemia is a serious prerequisite for the development of ischemia, atherosclerosis. It several times increases the risk of heart attack, stroke, obliteration of the vessels of the lower extremities. To reduce it, you need a correction of lifestyle, nutrition, medication.
What to do with high cholesterol
The basis for the treatment of hypercholesterolemia is diet. Changing the diet, making the right menu, you can reduce the rates without drugs.
|Prohibited products||Permitted products|
|fatty meat, smoked products, sausages, fast food, foods with a high content of preservatives;
eggs - a week is allowed to consume no more than 2-3 pcs .;
butter, mayonnaise and other high-calorie sauces;
dairy products with high fat content;
sweet soda, alcoholic beverages, especially beer and wine, coffee in large quantities.
|seasonal vegetables in fresh, boiled, stewed, baked form;
fatty fish - contain Omega-3 acids, which are necessary for normal operation of the cardiovascular system;
whole wheat, rye bread, bran;
sour-milk products with reduced fat content;
buckwheat, rice, oatmeal, millet;
natural juices, fruit drinks, green and herbal tea.
With high hypercholesterolemia, in addition to diet, prescribe medication. It is aimed at reducing the level of harmful lipids and restoring the normal operation of blood vessels.
The main groups of drugs to reduce high cholesterol are:
- Statins - Lipostat, Simhal, Liprimar. They depress the enzymes that are involved in the production of harmful cholesterol, help to clean and repair damaged vessels. But medicines have many contraindications, side effects, they can only be taken as prescribed by a doctor.
- Fenofibrate canon - a modern drug from the group of fibrates, regulates the level of lipids and uric acid. It is prescribed as an auxiliary drug if the cholesterol level is more than 7.4 mmol / l.
- Ion-exchange resins - Cholestyramine, Kolestipol. Drugs bind low-density lipids, they must be consumed during meals.
- Medicines containing acetylsalicylic acid. They dilute the blood, prevent the appearance of atherosclerotic plaques.
- BADs based on chitosan, lecithin, taurine, plant extracts. They are recommended for patients who are not allowed to use strong drugs.
For the treatment and prevention of hypercholesterolemia, it is necessary to regularly take vitamin complexes with a high content of ascorbic and nicotinic acid, tocopherol, fish oil. Well cleanses the vessels of ginger tea, garlic, artichokes, infusion of milk thistle.
How to increase the level of healthy cholesterol
With a decrease in the level of useful cholesterol below 2 mmol / l, there are problems with the immune system, a person becomes vulnerable to infections. Depressive conditions can develop, the risk of osteoporosis, infertility, obesity, diabetes, hemorrhage to the brain increases.
How to treat low cholesterol:
- Include in the diet eggs, milk, cottage cheese, red meats, nuts, fish, fruits.
- Take vegetable oils. They have a positive effect on the level of lipids in the blood, the best ones are linseed and rye-oil. It is enough to take 15 ml three times a day before meals to avoid reducing the useful cholesterol.
- Refuse from foods with a high glycemic index.
- Regularly engage in sports, while you need to burn at least 1200 calories a week.
- Reduce weight, abandon addictions.
Important! Decreased lipid levels are most often diagnosed in vegetarians, people with endocrine pathologies and bowel diseases!
How to avoid violations of the norm
To prevent the increase in cholesterol is not difficult. It is necessary to adhere to a healthy lifestyle and correct the disturbed metabolism in time.
What to do for prevention:
- to eat right and balanced;
- regular exercise, more walking outdoors;
- refrain from smoking, excessive drinking;
- daily take a contrast shower, it will help strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
The best method of prevention is the regular delivery of a general and biochemical blood test. With a slight deviation of the level of lipids from the norm, there are no obvious signs of pathology, it is detected only in the laboratory. But without timely correction, the disease progresses, which leads to the development of severe, and sometimes fatal complications.
The level of cholesterol is an important indicator of a man's health, any deviations negatively affect the work of internal organs. Proper nutrition, healthy and active way of life is an excellent and effective way to prevent pathologies.