- Causes of development Forms of the disease
- Forms of the disease
- Symptoms of the disease
- Diagnostic methods
- Treatment of alcoholic gastropathy
- Prevention of the disease
- Related videos
Alcoholic gastritis( reactive alcoholic gastropathy) - damage to the gastric mucosa of various degrees caused by regular intake of large doses of alcoholic beverages. The process of inflammation for this form of pathology is not typical.
Causes of development of
Ethyl alcohol, after getting into the stomach, partially - by 20% - absorbed by its mucosa, getting into the total blood flow. The bulk of alcohol - 80% - penetrates the digestive tract. Alcohol on the mucous surface of the stomach has a very negative effect, causing a burn. In the structure of the mucosa there are irreversible changes, it deforms. There is a violation of the functions.
Ethanol stimulates active production of hydrochloric acid, which worsens the course of digestion. There is a violation of the circulatory processes in the walls of the stomach. Significantly reduced the amount of protective mucus produced, which prevents normal recovery of damaged tissues.
The development of alcoholic gastritis is caused by the regular intake of alcoholic beverages. But doctors are voicing a number of factors that contribute to its formation. To those include:
- stressful situations and increased psycho-emotional loads;
- chronic fatigue caused by increased physical exertion;
- predisposition at the genetic level;
- abuse of tobacco products;
- poor nutrition, protein deficiency;
- work in harmful production;
- excess weight - obesity;
- pathology of the gastrointestinal tract.
Forms of the disease
There are two types of the disease - acute and chronic. Acute reactive alcoholic gastropathy develops after a single intake of a significant dose of alcoholic beverages. Individual dosage may vary, but the risk of pathology is increased if more than 50 ml of pure ethanol per day enters the human body.
Chronic format of alcoholic gastritis is formed against the background of long-term intake of alcoholic beverages. The functions of the stomach are disturbed, the production of gastric juice decreases, which slows the progress of the coma. There is a gradual death of cells of the mucosa and over time chronic gastropathy can be transformed into atrophic gastritis and later ulcer.
Symptoms of the disease
Symptoms of alcoholic gastritis depend on the current stage of the disease, the strength of damage to the mucosa and in any case manifests itself to digestive disorders.
A typical sign of alcoholic gastritis is the relief of the condition after taking a small amount of alcohol
The main symptoms of alcoholic gastropathy are:
- Soreness in the epigastric region, which becomes stronger after eating. If the patient causes artificial vomiting, the pain decreases.
- Violation of the stool - constipation, followed by diarrhea. With this form of gastritis, most people suffer from constipation.
- Attacks of nausea. Develops in the morning on an empty stomach. In addition, the patient may feel a general malaise, as well as discomfort in the abdomen. Attacks of severe heartburn.
- Frequent burping. Quite often it is accompanied by throwing the contents of the stomach into the mouth.
- Vomiting. The contents of the stomach are liquid, including impurities of bile and mucus.
- Unwearying thirst.
- Feeling of a full stomach.
Indirectly confirm the alcoholic gastritis is helped by the same alcohol. If after taking a small dose, the pathological symptomatology decreases or disappears completely, then the diagnosis is considered pre-confirmed.
Against the backdrop of chronic alcoholic gastritis, the following complications develop in a person:
- Muscular atrophy. As the pathology progresses, the volume of muscle mass decreases: there is a visual thinning of the limbs and their considerable weakening.
- Limited mobility and sensitivity disorders. The reason for this is the damage to the nerve endings, responsible for the transfer of impulses to the cerebral cortex. Shortness of breath, tachycardia. Regularly entering the human body ethanol causes violations in the work of the cardiovascular system, which causes a violation of the heart rhythm - its frequency is fixed.
Alcoholic gastropathy can occur with both increase and decrease in the level of acidity of gastric juice. With gastritis with high acidity, the patient has severe pain in the epigastric region, regular heartburn and stiff stool. To reduce the acidity of gastric juice, an unpleasant aftertaste in the mouth, frequent rumbling in the stomach and morning sickness are typical.
If no treatment was prescribed for the patient, and pathological symptoms receded, this indicates the formation of erosion on the walls of the esophagus. In this case, blood is found in the person's chair. With the development of such symptoms, you need to get medical advice in the very near future.
To be engaged in the diagnosis of alcoholic gastritis, a specialized specialist - a gastroenterologist - should be engaged. Symptoms of pathology resemble signs of other diseases of the digestive tract, so the patient is assigned a comprehensive examination.
FGDS is one of the most informative ways to diagnose the disease
In order to confirm the diagnosis a person is assigned:
- Physical examination .The doctor notes flabbiness of the muscles. During the palpation of the abdomen, the patient complains of soreness.
- General blood test .The study shows an elevated level of leukocytes. In addition, there is a thickening of the blood, as a result of dehydration, due to frequent vomiting and diarrhea.
- Isolation of bacteria Helicobacter pylori .Here, a blood test, feces or a breath test can be prescribed. Their presence indicates an inflammatory process.
- FGD .This is a technique for visual examination of the gastric mucosa and duodenum. During the procedure, the medic can detect eroded areas, formed ulcers, and also identify the area of inflammation.
As additional procedures may be appointed: ultrasound examination of the abdominal cavity, X-ray with contrast medium, manometry, spiral CT.And only after receiving all the data from the research, the patient is diagnosed and the condition is adequately treated.
Treatment of alcoholic gastropathy
Treatment of alcoholic gastritis involves an integrated approach. In addition to drug therapy, the patient is prescribed compliance with the diet. In general, the disease is quite easy to treat, especially when diagnosed at a young age. The main condition for successful cure is a complete refusal to take ethanol-containing drinks.
Treatment of the disease involves an absolute refusal of alcohol
Principles of the diet
Treatment of the acute form of alcoholic gastropathy begins with a strict diet. During the first two days after the attack, the patient's diet can include only warm mineral water, weak tea and water.
Then allowed to enter in the menu porridge, vegetable soups, jelly, low-fat dairy products, steam / baked vegetables, boiled / braised fish and meat. Of the fruits are allowed only bananas. Strictly forbidden are spicy / fried / smoked / fatty foods, preserves, carbonated drinks.
Food is fractional: there is a person should often - up to 6 times a day - in small portions. Dishes are amenable to the grinded form, which simplifies the work of the stomach. They should be warm, but not hot and not cold. After withdrawal of acute symptoms, the transition to the "Table No. 5" diet is allowed.
Treatment in this case is symptomatic, i.e., it is aimed solely at the removal of pathological symptoms.Effect of alcohol on the pancreas
- With severe dehydration, the patient is assigned droppers of aqueous saline solutions and vitamin complexes necessary for the recovery of substances lost by the body.
- In order to regenerate the gastric mucosa, gastroprotective drugs are prescribed.
- The use of pain relievers can eliminate the characteristic pain syndrome.
- If necessary, treatment with anti-inflammatory drugs is prescribed.
- At detection of the lowered acidity to the person reception of fermentostimulating agents is appointed.
Treatment of the disease should be carried out by a specialist based on the results of the research. Self-medication is prohibited, as self-medication can cause irreversible consequences.
Treatment with folk remedies
Alcoholic gastritis can be treated with folk remedies, but they should not override the doctor's prescribed treatment. Such therapy is only an auxiliary.
Fresh cabbage juice
helps faster healing of damaged mucous stomach. You can use the following products:
- Sage infusion. Two spoons of dry herbs brew with boiling water( 400 ml) and leave to infuse for 2 hours. Drink 4 times a day for 100 ml for taking small sips.
- Fresh carrot juice. Take a drink one hour before meals. The daily norm of juice is not more than ½ cup. Duration of treatment is 10 days.
- Fresh cabbage juice. Preheated fresh white cabbage juice should be drunk 1 hour before the main meals - lunch, breakfast and dinner - half the glass.
Alcoholic gastropathy in the absence of adequate therapy can lead to the development of more serious pathologies of the digestive system, up to oncological diseases. Chronic gastritis of alcoholic origin is most often accompanied by duodenitis, inflammation of the pancreas and gallbladder.Sores at the initial stage of their formation can be delayed on their own, but subject to complete refusal to accept any alcohol-containing beverages, including beer.
If a person neglects the recommendations of physicians, then he develops a full-fledged ulcer pathology. In this case, its perforation( breakthrough) is possible, accompanied by throwing the contents of the stomach into the intestinal cavity and the development of massive internal bleeding. If you do not provide timely medical assistance, a person may die.
The second most dangerous consequence of untreated alcoholic gastritis is the development of cancer. Damaged mucous membrane is unable to withstand the effects of pathological microorganisms, therefore the probability of formation of oncopathology increases several times.
Prevention of the disease
Prevention of the development of alcoholic gastropathy becomes a complete failure or a significant restriction in the intake of alcoholic beverages. In addition, it is recommended to adhere to the principles of dietary nutrition - a fractional meal( up to 5-6 times a day in small portions), snacks are only useful for the stomach products.
When diagnosing alcoholic gastritis, almost all alcohol, including red wine
, is banned. It is necessary to refuse fast food, sweet carbonated drinks, fatty / spicy / smoked foods. Foods and dishes should contain a minimum of artificial aromatic additives and spices. With a comprehensive approach to the treatment of gastritis of alcoholic origin, the disease has a fairly favorable prognosis. But a complete cure is possible only with strict adherence to all the recommendations of the attending physician.