Green sputum when coughing
The appearance of a cough with a disease indicates the presence of an inflammatory process in the respiratory or nasopharyngeal organs. By the nature and frequency of cough, you can determine which organ is affected and what kind of pathology is present.
A detailed study of the nature of the cough along with other symptoms can help to put the right diagnosis, and therefore, contributes to the appointment of adequate treatment and rapid recovery.
Cough can be dry and wet with exudation. Sputum or secretory fluid in the body of a healthy person is secreted in a small amount, has no color and carries a protective function. In the body of the patient, its number increases, and it begins to change color. Green sputum when coughing means that it infects pathogens from the focus of infection in the respiratory or nasopharyngeal organs, as well as a sputum of a different color.
In the pathological inflammatory process, the color of the expectorant mucus may differ and be indicative of various diseases.
But most often there is a cough with yellow phlegm. Liquid yellow exudate is a sign of a viral disease.
A thick pale yellow or yellow mucus when coughing indicates the presence of bacterial infection and suppurative inflammation. Green sputum when coughing means that the inflammation is stagnant.
Stagnation of mucus can occur with genyantritis, triunebronchitis, bronchitis acute or chronic during an exacerbation, pneumonia, purulent pleurisy or abscess of the lungs.
All these diseases are accompanied by a productive cough, and arise from the penetration into the body of airborne droplets by gram-positive and gram-negative cocci or other types of bacteria, virus or fungus. And if at the beginning of the disease expectorated sputum is often a yellowish shade, then on the 4th-5th day of the course of the disease with insufficient treatment or lack of it, it becomes purulent-green and even an unpleasant smell.
In addition to productive cough, infectious diseases of the respiratory tract and nasopharynx may be accompanied by other symptoms: purulent mucous discharge from the nose, pain in the chest, shortness of breath, increased body temperature.
The absence of a fever with a cough and green sputum may indicate either an inability of the body independently to struggle with an infection, or about other reasons of occurrence of tussis, for example, a nicotine pathology.
The presence of green sputum when coughing and lack of temperature - this is a serious reason to consult a doctor. Another important reason to consult a doctor is a protracted productive cough. Cough that does not go away for a month or less, but against the background of the treatment received, is called chronic and protracted.
Such cases of protracted cough require additional testing to find out the reasons for the occurrence and purpose of treatment in accordance with the results of the survey.To standard diagnostic methods for coughing with green sputum - lung X-rays and blood analysis, with prolonged cough, it is necessary to add a laboratory analysis of sputum and blood to mycoplasma and chlamydia, bronchoscopy, spirometric examination of respiration rates, ultrasound of the lungs and thorax, tomography, Mantoux test and histological study to exclude oncology.
Sputum green: how to treat itSputum green and the principles of its treatment for coughing in adults and children are similar.
Therapy should be carried out only after determining the preliminary cause of cough and in accordance with the individual characteristics of the body.
However, it is more difficult for children to establish the cause of this cough, especially in the absence of temperature.
Also, the effect of individual body characteristics on therapy for coughing with green sputum in children is significantly higher than in adults. Some medications recommended for the treatment of moist cough in adults are contraindicated in childhood.
In addition to infectious etiology, in children cough with sputum green can cause:
- whooping cough;
- infection of the body with parasites and worms;
- pathology of the digestive tract;
- allergic reactions;
- insufficient air humidity;
- hit of an alien object in the respiratory system;
- psychological reasons.
The system of therapy of productive cough is concentrated on several directions:
- Destruction of viruses, bacteria and fungi, which caused the disease.
- Sputum diffusion.
- Effective sputum discharge.
Based on this system, patients are assigned:
- Antibiotics, antiviral and antifungal drugs.
- Expectorants that reduce the density of phlegm.
- Mukoliticheskie means that contribute to the escape of diluted sputum.
In some cases, antihistamines are added to this scheme. Limit cough and suppress this reflex in the therapy of productive coughs categorically impossible. To achieve maximum effect, it is recommended to combine medicinal preparations of synthetic origin and phytotherapy.
Many herbal antitussive preparations, for example, with plantain, are combined in nature, which makes it possible simultaneously to alleviate the course of the inflammatory process, contribute to liquefaction and sputum and to get rid of a cough of any origin. The versatility of phytopreparations makes it possible to effectively use them in the treatment of cough in children and adults.
Expectorant medications have a different principle of action: resorptive and reflex. The drugs of the first group act on the bronchi, diluting and excreting sputum directly through the blood, and the means of the second group, to which some essential oils, licorice, marshmallows and others, stimulate the receptors of the stomach, salivary glands and bronchial mucosa, promoting liquefaction of mucus.
What to do if clearing up green sputumAll medications for the treatment of a damp cough should be taken strictly according to the doctor's prescription in exactly the indicated dosage. However, people can also alleviate the condition of the patient who expects green sputum.
There is an alternative therapy when coughing green sputum cough:
- A warming cocktail made with fresh strong tea, salt, butter and 1/4 cup of milk. It must be drunk with hot and small sips.
- Compress of pounded with soda boiled potatoes or black bread with honey. Such compresses effectively warm, promote liquefaction of exudate and help to fall asleep.
- Mustards have a similar effect to compresses.
- Circular massage of the thorax. It must be done often, but smoothly, while rubbing the cough remedy with essential oils.
- Inhalations increase the outflow of mucus, reducing the phenomenon of stagnation. Good help when coughing with green sputum inhalation with soda, salt or on decoction of pine buds. Breathe in a concentrated steam slowly and deeply, covered with a blanket. Very small children are not recommended for inhalation.
- Decoctions of herbs, herbal teas. Herbs that are part of ready-made pharmacy phytopreparations, you can brew yourself and drink during the day.
- Black radish juice with honey is considered very effective in productive cough.
A patient at home needs peace and copious drinking.
A large amount of liquid will help reduce the viscosity of mucus and its better expectoration.
To relieve nasal congestion and to avoid the flow of mucus in the nasopharynx into the bronchi and subsequent stagnation, as often as possible, rinse the nasal passage with saline. Also, fresh air is useful for patients, but walks should be short-lived, instead of walking you can ventilate each room separately.
The room should be sufficiently humid - dry air overdry mucous and irritates the cough center.
For the prevention of cough with green sputum it is necessary to consult a doctor in a timely manner and treat existing pathologies, preventing the occurrence of complications in the form of stagnant processes. For the general prevention of diseases of the respiratory tract and nasopharynx it is necessary: to strengthen immunity, to sleep enough, to eat variedly and qualitatively, to avoid stress, to be physically active.
Causes and treatment of green sputum when coughing
Coughing is a symptom that can point to a variety of different pathologies. To determine the causes of this symptom, you should determine the type of cough and the accompanying symptoms. Sputum or its absence is very important in diagnosis. Dry and wet cough indicate different diseases, therefore, their treatment should be carried out in different ways. When a patient has a cough with phlegm, it is very important to pay attention to her color and understand what causes caused the formation of such symptoms. The link describes why there is yellow sputum when coughing. About green sputum will be written in this article.
Causes of pathology
Very often people do not attach much importance to such manifestation of a disease as green sputum. But, in fact, this is a very important reason for seeking help. In this case, the green discharge during coughing can be accompanied by a rise in temperature or without a rise in temperature, which indicates an easy course of the disease
If the sputum produced during coughing has a green color, this may indicate the presence of a lung abscess or the initial stage of gangrene. Green mucus is a symptom that indicates swelling. Most often this occurs with genyantritis, inflammation of the bronchi.This color of sputum suggests the presence of an infection in the body, which began to multiply.As a rule, this occurs with tracheobronchitis. And the disease begins to manifest itself with a common cold. The discharge of green mucus occurs from the nose. She descends the walls of the nasopharynx and departs during a cough. As a rule, green sputum has an unpleasant odor.
If you have been tortured with coughing attacks with a discharge of thick sputum green, and you do not have a fever, the following diseases can cause this pathology:
- bronchiectatic disease;
- sinusitis (here you can learn about the signs of sinusitis and how to treat it);
- inflammation of the bronchi;
- cystic fibrosis;
- tracheitis (here it is described what antibiotics are taken with tracheitis and laryngitis);
- asthma; with frequent smoking.
In small patients, the withdrawal of green sputum without temperature can provoke:
- helminthic invasions;
- reaction of the body to chemical products;
- lack of humidity in the ambient air;
- psychological factors;
- presence of foreign matter in the lung;
- whooping cough;
- pathology of the digestive system.
The video describes the causes of green sputum when coughing:
There are a number of pathological processes, which are characterized by the accumulation of large amounts of mucus in the respiratory tract. If the withdrawal of sputum is accompanied by a rise in temperature, then we can talk about the presence of the following pathologies:
- abscess of the lungs;
- bronchial asthma;
- lungs' cancer;
- inflammation of the bronchi;
- pulmonary edema;
- a heart attack.
If you have a green sputum with a cough, then immediately go to the clinic for an appointment. No matter if you have a fever or not, this symptom already indicates a certain pathology.
To achieve the maximum result during treatment and a speedy recovery, the following tips should be adhered to:
- Therapy should begin only after the preliminary cause of the cough has been determined.
- Determine the type of cough: dry or wet (read what to do if the cough does not go away for a long time).
- All medicines and their dosage should be assigned individually.Here it is worth taking into account the main diagnosis, concomitant diseases, symptoms, individual characteristics.Also, you should pay attention to the properties of the drugs used to avoid side effects.
Find out what to do if the cough does not pass.
Reviews on the effect of radish with honey from cough: http://prolor.ru/g/bolezni-g/kashel/redka-s-medom-recept.html.
Treatment in adults
The success of treatment is to reduce the amount of sputum. This factor indicates a positive trend. Also, the positive effect of therapy will be observed when green sputum gradually acquires a light color. About recovery is said and liquefaction of sputum. All these symptoms indicate an improvement in the condition if the patient has been prescribed the following treatment:
- To remove nasal congestion, several times a day, rinse it with sea water. For these purposes it is worthwhile to use chemist's water, which is purified in a special way. Effective are the following drugs Humer, Aquamaris and Aqualor.
- It is not necessary to curb cough, as this will only slow down the process of recovery. To improve expectoration, traditional medicine will come to the rescue. The most effective is a preparation prepared on the basis of carrot seeds and sunflower seeds. They should go to a glass container, add water and alcohol in the same ratio. After that, tightly close the dishes, wait 3 days until the agent is infused. Take on the dining room bed in between meals 3 times a day.
- Improve the removal of green mucus will help compresses. It is best to use a pack of cooked potatoes or with a composition made from flour, mustard powder, aloe juice, alcohol and interior fat. These substances help to ease the overall health of the patient and quickly remove the green mucus.
The video describes the treatment of green sputum when coughing:
Therapy for children
Cough therapy with the removal of green mucus in young patients is made taking into account the cause of the underlying ailment. If there is a viral infection, the doctor will prescribe symptomatic treatment. Do this on time, otherwise the bacterial infection may join the virus. If the nature of the disease is known, then therapy should include the use of antibiotics. The choice of medicament should be carried out only by the attending physician. Here is described the treatment of cough with phlegm in the baby.
If the cause of cough with green sputum is bronchitis, then children are prescribed expectorant and mucolytic drugs. Their action is aimed at dilution of sputum, as a result of which it is possible to easily derive a pathological secret. It is not recommended to use antitussives, since they will not produce phlegm, but, on the contrary, will keep it in the airways.
When a cough with green sputum appeared on the background of tuberculosis, cancer, edema and pneumonia, the treatment should take place in a hospital. It is very important to diagnose the disease in time, and for the treatment to be effective, it is necessary to undergo regular check-ups.
Cough with green sputum is a very important symptom of the disease. Such a pathology can occur with or without temperature. Bacteria and harmful microorganisms can provoke an ailment. It is very important to determine the cause of the disease in time, so that all unpleasant symptoms leave the body, and a speedy recovery occurred. Perhaps you will also be useful information about the causes of cough in the morning.
Cough with green (purulent) phlegmSputum is a secret given by bronchial tubes and trachea. In a healthy person, it is produced in a small amount, however, if there is any pathology, then the excreted mucus becomes much more, in addition, it changes its color and consistency.
Green (purulent) sputum when coughing, as indicated by the color of the dischargeAt the very beginning it is necessary to say that green, yellow and purulent sputum indicate one thing: in the mucus there are impurities of pus and on its quantity depends the color of the contents. In addition, this type of secretion indicates the presence of chronic diseases.
Many people, coming to see a doctor, say that when you cough, pus is secreted. However, this statement is incorrect. In fact, pus in its pure form can be seen only when the bronchial abscess is opened or when a purulent pleurisy breaks through. In addition, this component is always mixed with mucus.
Green viscous sputum when coughing indicates that a person has a disease in which it is difficult to remove mucus. Such ailments include:
- Sinusitis - inflammation of the mucous membrane of the sinuses of the nose, sometimes with bony sinus walls. This disease often occurs against the background of influenza or complications after ARI, ARI.
- Bronchiectasis is a pathology of the organ, characterized by an enlargement of the bronchi and bronchioles. In most cases, people with this disease note a continuous cough with copious secretion of viscous green sputum. However, the color of the mucus that comes out may vary from yellow to dark green. It is completely dependent on the infection and the degree of bronchial involvement. A person can be tormented by severe attacks of cough both during the day and at night. The admixtures of blood in a secret speak already about the started stage of the disease.
- Post-tuberculosis disorders are observed in almost 25% of people who have had tuberculosis. Typically, the mucus secreted during the cough, has a yellow-green color.
- Bacterial infection of the bronchi is chronic bronchitis. It should be noted that viscous green sputum may be the result of prolonged exposure to nonspecific irritants (tobacco smoke, etc.). A characteristic sign of this disease is a cough with green sputum, which is accompanied by a temperature of 37-38 degrees. In addition, such a symptom may not take more than 2 months.
Yellow sputum can talk about the presence of chronic inflammation. As a rule, such discharges are accompanied by:
- Asthma is a chronic inflammation of the respiratory tract, manifested by bouts of painful coughing, asphyxiation. Typically, yellow mucus when coughing is released in the morning or after a person has woken up.
- Sinusitis. The cause is a bacterial or viral infection. As a rule, such an ailment is accompanied by a long cough and a secret secretion of a yellow-green color.
- Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the mucous membrane. This disease is characterized by an increase in bronchial secretion, which leads to a significant allocation of yellow sputum during a cough.
Features of secreted secretion in certain diseases of the respiratory system can serve as an important tool for establishing the correct diagnosis. Therefore it is very important in case of complications of any ailments to consult a doctor and carry out research of secreted secret.
Cough with phlegmThe appearance of coughing with all sorts of pulmonological diseases is a very common phenomenon, serving as an excuse for going to a specialist, to find out the causes and purpose of qualitative treatment.
The choice of the most effective medicinal product for cough treatment with sputum is possible only if there is a correct diagnosed and the exact cause of the onset of productive cough (cough with sputum). In no case do not cough, because it can cause a violation of the respiratory organs, namely the lungs and bronchi.
Some people, in the measure of their lack of education, mistakenly believe that a regular paroxysmal cough with sputum discharge is a common thing that does not require definite treatment. People who regularly suffer this type of cough unfortunately do not pay any attention to it at all. This continues until the appearance of characteristic symptoms, for example, shortness of breath, sweating, weakness, sputum discharge with an admixture of blood, as well as a gradual loss of weight.
With such symptoms, constantly pay attention to the appearance of the sputum, that is, its consistency, as well as the smell and color of the separated. If the separated phlegm is clear and watery, then the viral agent acts as an irritant, or it is an allergic disease. If the separable yellow or greenish color is the result of penetration into the respiratory tract of a bacterial infection, for example, bronchitis or pneumonia. Sputum with the separation of mucus with an admixture of blood is the result of diseases such as tuberculosis, pneumonia and lung cancer. Wet cough can tell us about the presence of such complex diseases as bronchial asthma or even worse - cystic fibrosis.
Only if you have all the information about the state of health, you can choose the necessary treatment.
The cause of coughing with phlegm can also be tobacco smoking, it is during smoking in the respiratory system that a large amount of mucus is released.
With productive cough, it is strictly forbidden to use antitussive drugs that prevent it from appearing at the level of the central nervous system, and can apply only under the supervision of the attending physician, in cases where there is a violation of outflow of sputum from the bronchi.
A qualified specialist may prescribe expectorant medications. These are usually mucolytic drugs based on ambroxol (Ambrohexal, Flavamed, Lazolvan and Medox), guaifenesin (Tussin, Sinethos and Gvitussin), acetylcysteine (Mucobene, Muconex, Tussicom, Mucosolvinum and Fluimucil), carbocysten (Bronhokod, Mukodin, Fluvik and Fljuditek) and bromhexine (Bronhosan, Solvin, Flegamine, Bronchotil and Paxirazole).
The mechanism of action of mucolytic drugs is to reduce the viscosity of the product to be separated by increasing its volume.
Expectorants are mostly made on the basis of plant components (Breast Collection, Thoracic elixir, Althea syrup, Cough syrup, Mukaltin, Eucabal, Dr. Eussaliptovy syrup of Dr. Tiss). There are also funds based on chemical compounds. These drugs activate the cough and vomiting center.
For the treatment of cough with the formation of viscous hard to separate sputum, combined agents (with mucolytic and expectorant action simultaneously) can be recommended.
In the treatment of such diseases, it is necessary to follow exactly all the recommendations given to you by the doctor. Pay attention, the combination of expectorants with drugs that stop the attack of cough is an extremely rash and harmful act. A combined use of expectorants and mucolytics - is generally prohibited!
Updated on February 10, 2015
Cough with phlegm does not pass
Very often cough acts as a symptom of many diseases of the respiratory system. Usually, after taking the necessary measures to eliminate the disease, cough is also eliminated. Nevertheless, there are cases when the cough remains and for quite a long time brings trouble, it seems to have already cured the patient. With a similar development of events, a cough is called a protracted, chronic form. Similar definitions apply to a cough that occurs over a period of time longer than one month.
Cough with phlegm, causes
The first cause of cough with phlegm is smoking. This is explained by the fact that during the process of smoking in the respiratory tract, much mucus is produced, which is the reason for the formation of a large amount of sputum, which requires withdrawal from the body. In addition, smoking causes paralysis of the finest hairs that are in the airways, which, during normal body work, contribute to the production of sputum.
In addition, a cough with sputum is facilitated by various ailments, which include:
Asthma.The development of the disease is preceded by the appearance of a dry cough and some hoarseness, then gradually hoarseness intensifies and a cough with sputum appears. It is possible to form thick mucous secretions.
Chronic form of bronchitis.In this case, dry cough is produced by chronic airway disease blocked by the respiratory tract, over time it becomes a cough with phlegm, in which the pus is possible.
A common cold.In the case of this disease, coughing up phlegm containing mucus or a mixture of mucus and pus occurs.
External irritants.Increased mucus formation in the respiratory tract can occur by inhaling fragments of dust, paint and other substances that cause irritation. It is this irritation that causes a cough. Most often, such a reaction is observed in persons suffering from allergic diseases or sinusitis in a chronic form.
Lungs' cancer.A characteristic symptom that manifests itself at an early stage of this disease is a cough that goes into a chronic form, accompanied by blood veins and some sputum. Sputum may contain pus or a mixture of mucus and pus.
Pneumonia.The disease can be accompanied by a dry cough that goes into a cough with phlegm. There may be changes in the color of sputum, depending on which bacteria are present in it.
Tube shapea riculosis.It is possible to cough up a certain amount of sputum containing pus, mucus or blood.
An adult cough with phlegm
In adults, a cough with sputum is manifested when the body has a need for the withdrawal of very difficult to separate sputum. In order to solve this problem, there is a certain set of tools that need to be used only after consulting a specialist.
Cough with phlegm treatment
When a cough with phlegm occurs, it is advisable to take medications for expectoration: lazolvan, bromhexine, ambroben, ambromhexal. In passing, it is allowed to use medicinal plants that promote expectoration and relieve inflammation: syrup, pork collection, St. John's wort and Labrador tea.
Effective help with cough with sputum is provided by warming compresses, whose role is played by mustard plasters, cans, and also a dry black radish. From a radish it is possible to allocate juice and to accept it, combining in various proportions with sugar or honey.
A good therapeutic effect is the use of inhalations with the use of a nebulizer or a mechanical inhaler, with the addition of ambroben or propolin. Such inhalations are recommended to be carried out at least five times a day.
Cough sputum diffusion
During the whole period of the existence of medicine, certain rules have been recognized and deduced that help to recover, and in this particular case, those who are liquefying phlegm after coughing. These rules are quite simple:
- As much as possible to take liquid during the day - the liquid dries helps to normalize the body's water balance and at the same time contributes to the dilution of sputum. Cough is mitigated by the use of alkaline nutrition, based on mineral waters. The composition of these waters helps to simplify the process of isolating the mucus caused by the disease and speeds up the disposal of it. It is recommended to add vegetables and fruits to the diet.
- Dissolving sputum also causes inhalation with a solution of medical herbs. Used for this mixture of sage, thyme, chamomile, mother and stepmother on one tablespoon of each element. The whole composition is poured with boiling water and insisted for an hour, after which a teaspoon of soda and eucalyptus oil is added. Inhalation is carried out twice a day.
- Dissolving sputum through the use of medications is effective in tracheitis and bronchitis - in this case, the spitting phlegm does not go out, creating a very painful obstacle. In this case, the use of medications that cause expectoration is recommended. Their appointment is in the competence of the doctor, who monitors the course of treatment of the disease.
- A very effective means for liquefying sputum is a decoction of pigeon pigeon. By means of its application, the mucous surface of the bronchial tubes undergoing irritation is moistened, so that mucus is easier to exit, reducing the process of an unpleasant cough.
"It's good to have figs, if you have to deal with the stretching sputum and bored cough." It should be placed in a glass of milk, cut into two figs. The moment of appearance of a special shade means readiness for use.
Medicines for coughing sputum
Medicinal products used in the treatment of sputum with phlegm are of plant and synthetic origin. With regard to the principle of action of drugs, they are subdivided into an expectorant with direct and reflex action.
Drugs with a reflex action are a certain set of medicinal extracts and herbs that help accelerate the process of sputum production from the respiratory system. They represent a variety of broths, herbal preparations, extracts, infusions and powders. They include: herbs thermopsis and thyme, licorice and althaea roots, pectoral charges No.1, No.2, No.3.
Drugs with direct action affect the bronchi and, directly, the sputum, speeding up its withdrawal by dilution.
There are two main groups of drugs:
- Means that affect the bronchial glands, used as inhalations. These include essential oils, iodine salts, baking soda.
- Means that dilute sputum - lazolvan, Bromgeksin, ATSTS.
Today, the pharmaceutical industry significantly expands the market for drugs to combat cough with phlegm, but caution, since each drug has its own indications and contraindications, and not all medications are compatible with each other. Wishing to quickly and effectively cure the disease, you should get advice from a competent specialist, since self-medication in this case it is possible only to harm, not observing the rules of reception, and compatibility with each other of various medicinal preparations.
How to treat cough with sputum folk remedies
1. A few pine buds are poured into a glass of boiled milk, wrapped and insisted for about an hour. Should be taken throughout the day in equal parts. Such a prescription is an effective folk remedy for coughing sputum, in view of the fact that it has an effect on the focus of the disease and has an effect even after the application is started.
2. An excellent folk remedy for coughing with phlegm is the onion. There are many recipes for the use of this natural medicine. You can cook a decoction of onions: two onions, without cleaning them, put in half a liter of water for an hour, as cooking is done, adding one glass of sugar. The broth is intended for internal reception, half a cup three times a day.
3. Effective herbal collection containing mint, plantain, marshmallow, mother-and-stepmother. The ingredients are mixed in the same proportions, they are poured with boiling water, counting one dining room a spoonful of herbs on a glass of boiling water, after which it is infused for 15 minutes in a water bath. The broth is applied on an empty stomach at least twice a day.
Sputum color when coughing
Green sputum when coughing
Mucous green sputum when coughing occurs with numerous diseases of the lungs and bronchi caused by infection, colds and various allergens. Such diseases include all kinds of inflammatory processes, bronchitis of different severity, forms of pneumonia, tuberculosis, cancer, bronchial asthma.
Cough with yellow phlegm
The manifestation of a cough with yellow sputum indicates sinusitis, bronchitis or pneumonia. A yellowish shade appears when pus is mixed with phlegm.
Yellow sputum may appear in smokers with significant experience. The color and nature of the sputum may indicate the cause of bronchitis. Yellow sputum appears when there is a bacterial infection in the bronchi. When yellow sputum appears, you should see a doctor, do not try to treat the disease yourself.
White sputum when coughing
White sputum when coughing, if it has a consistency of cottage cheese, indicates tuberculosis, or the presence of a fungal infection in the airways. Bronchi are affected by the fungus when long-term antibiotic therapy is applied under the condition of reduced immunity, which causes the appearance of pathological microflora in the mucous membranes.
If white sputum when coughing has a watery consistency, the cause may be a viral infection, or chronic diseases of the respiratory system, a reaction to external irritants. All these causes cause an increase in mucosal secretion.
Brown sputum when coughing
The presence of brown sputum during a cough testifies to various types of infection, bacterial or viral, occurring with inflammatory processes. This occurs with pneumonia, bronchitis, as well as with a common cold. Brown sputum can occur with bleeding that has opened earlier.
Cough with pink phlegm
The presence of phlegm in pink cough indicates the presence of a certain amount of blood in the mucus. The color of mucus can change completely and find its reflection in the form of spots and veins. Pink sputum may also indicate bleeding, if blood appears in sputum during bronchitis, this fact may indicate such diseases:
- Pneumococcal pneumonia.
- Lungs' cancer. The color of sputum may vary from pink to red, turning into black or brown.
- Tuberculosis. There is blood spitting and the presence of bright red bands.
- Embolism of the lungs.
Purulent sputum when coughing
The purulent sputum produced during coughing contains in its composition an extensive microbial flora. Coughing at times becomes painful, and excreted sputum is viscous and viscous, expectorated with great difficulty. Sometimes purulent sputum appears only in the mornings, during the rest of the day the cough remains dry. In some patients, cough continues around the clock, accompanied by nausea, vomiting and shortness of breath. The temperature does not usually rise, but if the disease worsens, it can rise to a low-grade level.
Purulent sputum when coughing is manifested with pulmonary tuberculosis, lung abscess, lung cancer. Diseases occur with expectoration of copious or small amount of sputum containing pus.
Black sputum when coughing
Black sputum when coughing is coughing up with pneumoconiosis. This is the name of a certain group of diseases of the pulmonary system (incurable) caused by prolonged inhalation of industrial dust. It is observed among the workers of the mining, machine-building, and coal industries.
Smell of sputum, as a rule, is absent. It appears only in the case of gangrene and abscess of the lungs, due to the development of microflora rot.
Sputum can be in a variety of consistencies: thick, liquid, viscous. Usually it has a viscous consistency.
When coughing with phlegm
Cough without phlegm
Sometimes cough with phlegm without temperature exhausts even more than a constant fever. The situation can improve for a certain period of time, then repeat again. May be useless all the pills, inhalers and injections - cough still does not pass.
To effectively treat this phenomenon, one must not forget that it does not belong to the number of independent diseases. This is just a symptom of the disease, a manifestation of the process of inflammation of the respiratory tract. Inflammatory process leads to the appearance of a cough with phlegm without temperature.
Sputum is a mucus containing the products of the body's struggle with bacteria and viruses. When expectorating, particles of mucous membranes come out with it.
If the cough lasts a long time, there may be many reasons for this, from the precise establishment of them depends the effectiveness of the treatment. That's why to say exactly how to cure a cough with phlegm can only a doctor.
Cough with phlegm and runny nose
The appearance of cough with phlegm and a cold is possible for colds, as well as some ARVI. In the event that the cough does not stop within three weeks after the beginning of the SARS, it is necessary to consult a therapist.
Severe cough with phlegm
A strong cough with phlegm is always unpleasant, it is always necessary to clear your throat, there is a badly smelling liquid that irritates the surrounding and the patient. Similar symptoms are accompanied by many diseases, but in order to treat qualitatively and effectively, you need to know exactly the cause of the disease.
A strong cough with phlegm is a symptom of inflammatory diseases of the respiratory system, in which serous and purulent secretions accumulate in the lungs and bronchi.
A moist strong cough with hard-to-recover sputum is a symptom of developing inflammation of the bronchi. As the disease progresses, cough increases, sputum production increases.
With pneumonia, a rapid cough is observed, which is accompanied by a copious discharge of purulent sputum. Similar phenomena are observed with inflammation of the lungs, both in the child and in the adult.
Blood when coughing in sputum
Cough with blood signals serious pathological changes in the body. If there is a small amount of light fresh blood, this can be explained by damage to the blood vessels due to increased expectoration, but when there are blood clots or veins, the explanation may be starting tuberculosis, or a cancerous tumor in the lungs.
Blood for coughing in sputum by medical evaluation is the allocation of a certain number of red blood cells contained in the lungs and bronchi. Sputum contains blood in the case of bronchitis, pneumonia and a number of other dangerous diseases, so it is recommended to start the examination as soon as possible in order to identify the cause of the blood discharge that has started.
Dyspnoea and cough with phlegm
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is usually caused by people over the age of 50 years who have a certain length of smoking. The main symptom of this disease is progressive dyspnoea, which accompanies cough with phlegm, as well as symptoms of suffocation. Dyspnea either occurs after the appearance of a cough, or manifests simultaneously with it. Sputum emitted in the morning has a pale gray color, it is possible to expectorate it throughout the day.
If cough with sputum and shortness of breath are observed for many years, it is typical for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease of the bronchial type. With COPD emphysematous type, there is a rare cough with small sputum and a pronounced dyspnea. If there is a change in the nature of phlegm from pale gray to purulent, this indicates that an infection has joined - acute bacterial bronchitis. When wheezing and attacks of suffocation can be concluded that the patient will benefit from inhalation. Expectoration of blood is usually due to an acute bacterial infection, lung cancer must be excluded. It is required to get the patient detailed information about the harmful aspects of his profession, about possible contacts with gases and dust.
Bronchitis and cough with phlegm
Increased cough with increased sputum is characteristic for bronchial disease, inflammatory processes taking place in them. Often the disease develops against the background of sore throat or ARVI, cough is constantly increasing, there are pains in the chest, symptoms dyspnea, and if in addition to all there is auscultation in the bronchi, breathing becomes stiff, wheezing appears.
In the case of acute bronchitis in the first few days, sputum dries with difficulty. There may be a slight increase in temperature.
Treatment of bronchitis should be timely and individual, the doctor should know about how the course of the disease was occurring, in what conditions does the person who has become ill with bronchitis work. It is necessary to completely eliminate the factors that have a negative effect on the body. In the event that you are late with the beginning of treatment, it may not give any tangible results. Thus, it becomes clear that it is impossible to underestimate the moment of commencement of treatment and timely diagnosis.
Types of cough with phlegm
Long cough with phlegm
A cough is considered long, if it lasts from four to eight weeks without significant changes. A long cough with phlegm is a very disturbing symptom that makes you think about the possible onset of serious illnesses. For this reason, the following points are important.
.- A long cough with phlegm can be a consequence not only of bronchial asthma or any infection. Due to this circumstance, first of all, it is necessary to perform an X-ray examination of the lungs in order to detect cancer
- It is very likely in this case a disease with tuberculosis. The sooner an appeal is made to doctors for the diagnosis, the more favorable will be the final outcome.
- Cases of a long cough with sputum with prolonged bronchitis in smokers are not uncommon. At the same time the disease becomes chronic and very difficult to cure.
- A prolonged cough is observed in people of certain professions. Such a disease is professional, and its therapy is to stop all contact with substances that cause coughing.
Cough chest with phlegm
Various inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract caused by fungi, viruses and microbes begin from the usual cold and end with pneumonia and bronchitis. The onset of these diseases is a dry cough. As the sputum accumulates in the lungs, the cough becomes transformed into a chest cough. With a chest cough with phlegm, bronchitis often begins.
The very first remedy for chest cough with phlegm is saline solutions designed for gargling. It is also possible the emergence and growth of cough as a result of smoking. Cough medicines are used to expand airway paths. For the final disposal of cough, you should ask the doctor to prescribe medications that dilate the bronchi.
Wet cough with phlegm
With a wet cough, sputum is separated. The nature of sputum with a damp cough may be different. It can be a product of the secretion of specific bronchial glands, facilitate the withdrawal from the respiratory tract of agents of various origins caught there with air. Normally, the production of secretion is small, in case of disease the body tries to wash the infection from the bronchi accumulated there. This process stops with recovery, and a wet cough with the formation and sputum discharge also ends.
Coughing spells with sputum occur with various diseases of the respiratory system. The body thus tries to get rid of the mucus that has accumulated in the bronchi. Often it thickens so much that it becomes difficult to talk and breathe. Similar conditions and provoke coughing attacks with separation of sputum.
To reduce cough, it is recommended to drink hot milk for the night with the addition of soda and sugar. Soda contributes to the dilution of phlegm, while sugar in milk will calm the cough. For such purposes, mineral water on an alkaline basis is suitable.
Night cough with phlegm
Night cough with sputum can very often be caused by an increase in the tone of the vagus nerve that occurs at night and is characteristic of diseases accompanied by spasm of the bronchi. Such a process is localized in the areas of special receptor sensitivity, while sputum is progressing under the influence of own gravity in the bronchi from the cavities, while the diseased is in a horizontal position.
Cough with phlegm without temperature - how to treat?Everyone knows that cough is a protective reaction of the body. With his help, a person is released from sputum, as well as various harmful substances. Many people ask: why does a cough develop without temperature? What does this symptom speak about? Quite often a strong cough, in which there are no signs of a cold, acute respiratory viral infection, influenza, indicates a very severe allergic reaction.
Causes of a wet cough without temperature
A person can cough when inhaling dust or other allergens. Also a strong cough appears in the case of polluted air. To clarify the diagnosis is best to complete a complete examination.
It is important to understand that a painful wet cough without a rise in temperature can indicate a serious illness of respiratory organs, lungs. Sometimes a coughing fit occurs after a person inhales corrosive gases, tobacco smoke, or food gets into his respiratory tract.
Different color of sputum when coughing
During the diagnosis, the coloring of sputum is of no small importance, and one must pay attention to it, because it indicates the development of a serious respiratory disease:
- Pneumoniaalmost always accompanied by yellow-green or yellow sputum.
- Bronchial asthmahas a clear and dense sputum.
- Croupous pneumoniaaccompanied by the release of rusty sputum.
- Gangrene lungsalmost always when cough accompanied by phlegm green.
- Pulmonary edemacharacterized by frothy sputum.
- Malignant lung tumoraccompanied by phlegm with blood fibers.
- Bronchitis or influenzacharacterized by a yellow-green, purulent sputum with blood.
- Lung infarctionaccompanied by bright red sputum.
- Fungal lung infectioncharacterized by a cough with white lumpy phlegm.
How to get rid of a wet cough without temperature for a day?
With timely treatment, you can quickly get rid of this unpleasant symptom. To do this, folk healers recommend that you pay attention to the healing collection, which includes: linseed, linden, plantain, mother-and-stepmother. Take a tablespoon of herbal collection and brew in a glass of boiling water.
Also, be sure to try these time-tested recipes:
- Fig with milk. It is necessary to take 250 ml of milk, add in it figs (2 tablespoons), all boil on a small fire. Insist for about half an hour, then grind to a mellow consistency. Use three times a day.
- Cranberry juice with honey.Add a tablespoon of honey to a glass of juice.
- Lime teahelp quickly get rid of a wet cough. You need to take half a glass of water, add 100 grams of honey and 200 grams of lime, and also put 100 grams of birch buds. Warm up all about 20 minutes. After straining the mixture, add another teaspoon of aloe juice. The remedy is taken after breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Berries of Kalina.Boil the viburnum, then mix it with honey in equal proportions. Take no more than a tablespoon.
- Badger fatis the best anti-inflammatory. It helps to get rid of even a prolonged cough. You need to take a small amount of fat and rub your breasts. This curative product will help you quickly cure a wet cough that has long been troubling.
How to treat a severe cough without fever?
Note that using antibiotics when coughing without temperature, there is no point. Perhaps this kind of cough appeared after the inhalation of toxic substances, as well as after smoking, in case of an allergic reaction, infection with ascarids, worms and after prolonged exposure to dust.
Antibiotics are prescribed only if a person has tracheitis, bronchitis, laryngitis, pneumonia or tuberculosis. A strong wet cough without high fever, still need to be treated, strictly adhering to the basic medical recommendations.
Many are mistaken when they think that a wet cough without temperature can not be a sign of pneumonia. Quite a lot of cases when pneumonia occurs without high temperature, therefore it is important to undergo examination:
- To hand over a sowing of a sputum.
- Make a fluorography of the lungs.
- To hand over the general analysis of a blood.
In order to get rid of a wet cough, you must first find out the exact cause of its appearance. In smokers most often it appears early in the morning, while sputum can be with blood. If, in addition to a cough, there is a runny nose, sore throat, most likely, you have ARVI.
Features of treatment of wet cough without fever in an infant
Sometimes a wet cough appears in the toddlers. What are the causes?
- Bronchial asthma.When the disease cough is almost always accompanied by a sputum discharge.
- A night attack of a cough.In children, a strong cough can be a symptom of a dangerous disease - whooping cough. Cure it with conventional medicines is not possible. In this case, there is a paroxysmal night cough with vomiting.
- Barking cough in babiesappears with an acute inflammatory process in the nose, larynx, nasopharynx. With a strong coughing, chest and stomach tighten. Wet coughing in a child, in which there is no temperature, is an alarming symptom, which immediately needs to contact the pediatrician.
So, do not think if a cough without temperature, it is not at all dangerous. This is not true! Wet cough, which does not pass a long time, indicates a serious pathological process in the body. It is important to establish the cause of its occurrence in a timely manner. When diagnosing a doctor, the doctor takes into account the nature of the sputum, how badly the symptom runs, conducts all the necessary tests, only then makes a decision about the treatment. To any cough you need to be treated quite seriously, otherwise everything can end with serious consequences. Do not joke with your health, do not do self-diagnosis and self-medication, just go to the doctor!