The eyelids perform a protective function for the eyes.They reduce the likelihood of drying the eyeball, provide protection from adverse environmental factors, help to function the visual muscles and nerves. Medical statistics show that about 10% of eye diseases occur precisely on the eyelids.Let's consider in this article what diseases of the eyelids exist and how to deal with them.
1Types of diseases of the inflammation of the eyelids
- 1.3Inflammation of the glands and edges of the eyelids
2Methods of treatment
- 2.1Types of ointments
- 3Tips for use
Types of diseases of the inflammation of the eyelids
Inflammation of the eyelid is a process having a different etiology and affecting the upper or lower eyelids of one or both eyes.
The main symptoms of the inflammation of the eyelid:
Normally, the skin of the eyelids should be pale pink, thin, delicate. The slightest color change, the structure of the eyelid skin speaks for the presence of inflammation.
What could it be?
A small puffiness of the eyelids can appear as a result of excess water in the body.This case occurs infrequently and is not a disease.
But edema can happen for other reasons: inflammation, trauma or an allergic reaction. In the first case, it is inflammatory and may be accompanied by hyperemia, fever, pain.
If the cause is an allergic reaction, then the place of edema will appear itching, condensation, redness (or blanching) of the skin.Edema can still occur against a background of chronic diseases.In this case, it is bilateral, accompanied by edema and edema of the legs. The skin of the eyelids will be pale, and the temperature may not be the same.Another cause may be blepharoptosis.
When the infection enters the wound surface of the skin of the eyelid, an abscess is produced, called an abscess. Sometimes this inflammation of the century is a consequence of barley.
Also, the abscess of the eyelid can develop in the surrounding tissues - the paranasal sinuses, the orbit.The most common causative agent of the abscess of the century is staphylococcus aureus. Symptoms of inflammation of the eyelid with abscess:
- increase, swelling of the eyelid;
- reddening of the century;
- presence of a yellowish hue;
- pain in the eye, eyelid;
- severe headaches.
Inflammation of the glands and edges of the eyelids
Such diseases include:
Barley (meybomite of the lower eyelid) is an acute purulent inflammatory process of the hair sac of the eyelash or the sebaceous gland, the duct of which flows into its sac. Often the cause of the disease is Staphylococcus aureus. Barley can be single and multiple, develop on the upper or lower eyelid.
Herpetic inflammation of the eyelid is caused by a simple herpes simplex virus (Herpes Simplex) and herpes zoster virus (Herpes Zoster).The disease can affect both the upper and lower eyelid.
On the skin of the eyelids, watery bubbles form which, during the course of the illness, become cloudy, open, after which the affected parts of the eyelid heal, covering with epithelium.All this is accompanied by severe itching, and with mechanical damage to the vesicles the virus spreads, hitting further tissues.
The most common cause of inflammatory processes of the century is blepharitis.
The main causes of blepharitis:
- weakening of the body's protective functions;
- chronic infections;
- demodecosis of the eyelids;
- pathology of the gastrointestinal tract;
- sanitary and hygienic conditions of human life;
- deficiency of vitamins;
- purulent inflammation of the paranasal sinuses.
Symptoms of inflammation of the edge of the eyelid:
- the appearance of a fluid-bound eyelash;
- the feeling of a foreign body in the eye;
- foamy or purulent discharge.
There are several types of blepharitis: simple, scaly, ulcerative. Each of these forms in a recurrent form is very dangerous for human health.
Demodectic eyelids are a very common and extremely unpleasant disease of the organs of vision. Patients with this disease complain of severe itching, eyelid edema, redness of the eyes, loss of eyelashes.
On the edges of the eyelids, scales and crusts may appear, causing discomfort.Demodekoz affects the mucous membrane of the eye, it withers it, so that the eye muscles quickly become tired. At the first symptoms, you should immediately consult a specialist. The disease is recurrent.
Conjunctivitis is most often caused by various bacteria, viruses, fungi.The disease is characterized by extremely unpleasant symptoms, which manifests itself in different ways, depending on the cause of development.
All conjunctivitis, with the exception of allergic ones, are contagious and require the use of an ophthalmologist and the appropriate treatment.
Methods of treatment
With inflammation of the century, treatment is directed mainly at eliminating the causes of the development of the process. In most cases, patients are prescribed symptomatic treatment.
Hygiene occupies a key place in the treatment of inflammation of the eyelids.
To suppress the inflammatory process, the doctor prescribes antibiotics for topical application: ointments, drops.With ulcerative, scaly blepharitis, treatment is more complicated: regular treatment of the affected parts of the eyelid is necessary to eliminate scales and purulent discharge.
Types of ointments
Treatment of inflammation of the eyelid, as a rule, involves the use of ointments.What ointments are most common for the treatment of inflammation in the eye century?
- Actovegin- a medicinal ointment that helps in the treatment of various skin lesions, including inflammatory processes that have arisen in the eye eyelid.
- Hydrocortisone- eye ointment, which has anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory effect in various eye diseases. Ointment removes swelling, itching, inflammation from the skin of the eyelids. It is prescribed for conjunctivitis, dermatitis, blepharitis, keratitis of the eyes. If the ointment is used for more than 10 days, there may be an increase in intraocular pressure, so it is necessary to regularly monitor it. Another side effect is the emergence of bacterial secondary infection due to the suppression of the protective properties of the body.
- Oksolinovaya ointmentIt is necessary in the event that the inflammation of the eyelids is viral. To treat this form of inflammation antibacterial agents are not suitable, since they have no effect on viruses. But oxolin ointment is able to cope with them.
- Demazol- a cream for external use, having a complex composition. It is intended only for the care of the skin of the eyelids. Reduces itching, inflammation, edema, eliminates redness, feelings of discomfort in the eyes and burning, as well as a rash of parasitic or bacterial origin.
- Korneregel- eye ointment used for infectious diseases. Has a regenerating and restoring effect. It is prescribed for the treatment of inflammatory diseases such as keratitis, keratoconjunctivitis, erosive damage, etc.
- ErythromycinOintment is an eye drug, which is based on a non-toxic antibiotic - erythromycin. According to the instructions for use, Erythromycin ointment shows its activity against most Gram-positive bacteria: streptococci, staphylococci, gonorrhea, etc.).
- Blepharogel- a drug designed to care for the skin of the eyelids during inflammatory diseases (mainly blepharitis). This tool is also used for daily care of eyelids: removal of inflammation of the eyelids with eye fatigue, discomfort when using contact lenses.
- Zovirax- eye ointment that helps with inflammation caused by the herpes virus. It contains active substance - acyclovir. In ophthalmic practice, "Zovirax" is used to treat keratitis, which has developed due to herpes simplex.
- Tetracyclineointment- one of the most common antimicrobial eye aids, known in ophthalmology. This drug is widely used in the treatment of inflammation of the eye, as it shows activity against most infectious agents. So, the ointment prevents the reproduction of microorganisms such as salmonella, staphylococcus, streptococcus, shigella, E. coli, etc. However, tetracycline ointment has no therapeutic effect in the case of fungi and viruses.
- Demalan(lat. Demalanum) - a cosmetic anti-parasitic cream for eyelids and facial skin, used when there is a rash of parasitic or bacterial origin. The rash can also be caused by the mites Demodex canis, Demodex brevis, Demodex folliculorum (demodecosis).
Tips for use
Despite the seemingly simple use of ophthalmic ointment, this procedure has several important features.Efficacy and safety of ointment application directly depends on observance of simple rules.Ointment for eyes, the doctor appoints in the case where the drug should be absorbed gradually, providing a lasting effect.
To avoid the risk of getting into the eye infection, all eye preparations have increased requirements for sterility. The drug should not get microorganisms, so they should be stored according to the instructions. As a rule, eye ointments are stored in the refrigerator and after the expiry date they lose their properties.
Stages of application of ophthalmic ointment:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before applying the ointment.
- Prepare a cotton ball beforehand.
- Open the tube of medicine.
- In the sitting position, flip the head.
- Looking up, pull the lower eyelid.
- Gently squeeze a little ointment.
- Distribute it on the inner side of the lower eyelid, without touching the edge of the tube on the surface of the cornea and eyelashes.
- Release the eyelid, close your eyes and blot excess medicine with cotton. Keep your eyes closed for 3-4 minutes for better distribution of the ointment.
Applying the ointment is most convenient with someone's help, since the patient himself is forced to look up during the procedure.If the doctor recommended not using one medicine, then the break between their use should be at least 5 minutes.In this case, first of all, drops are used, and only after them ointment.
Ointments should be dosed and applied with a glass rod, which you can buy at a pharmacy. Immediately after use and before each procedure, it should be thoroughly washed. Do not apply the ointment with hands.
After storage in a cool place, ophthalmic ointment can thicken.Do not throw it away: just warm it up a bit before using it by placing a tightly closed tube in warm water..
Multifocal lenses of daily replacement: what is it, what is their feature - learn by clicking on the link.
Do not know how to wear one-day contact lenses? Then this article is for you.
How to wear toric lenses: http://eyesdocs.ru/linzy/toricheskie/kak-podobrat-toricheskie-kontaktnye-linzy.html.
Eye ointment is an effective remedy against various inflammations of the skin of the eyelids.Selection of the drug should be done solely by the doctor, since inflammation occurs due to various causes.Only a specialist will be able to identify the cause and designate the most suitable means.Apply ointments taking into account the recommendations presented above, so that the treatment is most effective.
Note that inflammation is greatly affected by improper wearing of contact lenses.For more details on the rules for choosing contact lenses for individual parameters, click here.