Antitussives: a list of cough suppressants
In case of hypothermia, dry non-productive cough may occur.
Inflammation, perspiration and cough accompany pleurisy, tracheitis, laryngitis, bronchitis and other respiratory tract diseases.
To eliminate these adverse manifestations, you should buy antitussive drugs.
Medications blocking the cough reflex
Expectorant tablets are often prescribed with a damp cough. It is characterized by mucopurulent sputum or purulent sputum.
In addition, there is a mass of medicinal plants that successfully affect the cough center. So, bronchitis and sore throat can be treated with:
- rosemary shoots;
- licorice roots;
- pine buds;
- herbs of thyme;
However, folk remedies for coughing adults at home, this is not the only direction in the fight against coughing. At the basis is, after all, treatment with medications.Oppressive cough medications have a central mechanism of action. So, they oppress the center of the cough reflex.
The narcotic painkillers in their composition have codeine phosphate, they are used only in complex drugs for the treatment of adults. In addition, there are still anti-cough narcotic drugs of peripheral action.
Today, pharmaceutical companies produce a lot of combined drugs sold in various forms (syrups, drops, tablets, liquid and dry medicines). Thus, the group of expectorants include:
Ambroxol tablets are perfectly absorbed. In the liver, the active substance is biotransformed, resulting in the formation of dibromantranilic acid and glucuronic conjugates. If a person has a kidney failure, then the half-life period increases.
Bromhexine is absorbed by 99% after 30 minutes after absorption. And the half-life takes one to two hours. If you take such a long time, then some components of the medicine will accumulate in the body.
Glaucine hydrochloride is a central agent. Powder lowers blood pressure.
Expectorant reflex and drugs against coughing have the following actions:
- dilution of sputum;
- irritation of the receptors of the stomach;
- antiviral action;
- improvement of bronchial gland secretion;
- activation of ciliated epithelium;
- improvement of muscle contraction of the bronchi.
Means based on althea and plantain have an enveloping effect. Termopsis tablets stimulate the respiratory system.
Tablets Bromhexine and Ambroxol change the physical and chemical composition of sputum. Thus, Ambroxol helps to improve its retreat.
But taking Bromhexin can cause neurotic edema, gastrointestinal upset and allergic reactions. Side effects after taking Ambroxol - allergy, abdominal pain, nausea and constipation.
When a cough becomes very severe, then the doctor can recommend to combine expectorants.
Classification of antitussives
Anti-cough drugs are called cough suppressants. Often they are prescribed if the cough is not physiologically justified.
- drugs that have a mixed effect;
- antiseptic preparations of local action;
Non-narcotic drugs of central action are Oxeladine Citrate, Butamirate and Glaucine Hydrochloride. Such medications are not addictive, do not depress the breath, do not slow down the motility of the gastrointestinal tract. Moreover, they have antispasmodic, antitussive and hypotensive effect.
Lidocaine is a topical antiseptic used for inhalation. More to the drugs that have a mixed effect, is Prenoxdiazin.
Antitussive preparations for children
Remedies for coughing block the cough reflex. They are used in the suppression of dry cough, for example, with ARVI, laryngitis, chronic bronchitis and so on.
However, tablets and other types of drugs with this effect are not recommended for use in the presence of pneumonia, acute bronchitis, cystic fibrosis and other diseases. After all, this can lead to a delay in sputum in the bronchi.
In general, antitussive drugs can provoke the following side effects:
- reduction of ventilation of the bronchi;
- lowering of blood pressure;
Therefore, drugs that eliminate cough in the treatment of children, are used infrequently. Therefore, it is better to use them for the treatment of adults, since they have a lot of contraindications.
Preparations of the central actionCough is a complex reflex response, necessary for the resumption of natural airway patency. It appears if receptors of the ears, nose, pleura, esophagus, posterior pharyngeal wall are irritated. Cough can be caused arbitrarily and suppressed, as it is controlled by the cerebral cortex.
The central drug narcotic drug contains morphine-like compounds. Such antitussive drugs and antitussives of central action have suppressive features and suppress the function of the cough center.
Preparations belonging to the codeine group are very effective, but they have many side effects. Their action is selective, they depress the respiratory center.
Non-narcotic remedies that eliminate cough also have selective effects. But they have little effect on the respiratory center. This group acts similarly to codeine, without addiction.
Cough remedies for peripheral action
To get rid of cough, peripheral drugs are often used. To this group belong syrups and teas based on glycerin, honey, plant extracts and resorption tablets.
These drugs have an enveloping effect, forming a protective film on the mucosa of the respiratory tract.
One of the most frequently prescribed drugs of peripheral action is Prenoxdiazin. It is a synthetic combined remedy that inhibits the cough region and does not depress the breath.
The drug has spasmolytic direct effect, it reduces the excitability of peripheral receptors and prevents the appearance of bronchospasm. Tablets need not be chewed or rassasyvat, they can simply swallow.
We recommend video in this article, which will show why it is so important to choose the right drugs for coughing.
Cough suppressantsCough is a common and annoying symptom of respiratory diseases, which you want to get rid of in the first place. It becomes a hindrance not only for the long-suffering, but also an obsession for allergy sufferers and colds the day before people. In order to select cough suppressants, the origin, shape and severity of this respiratory disorder are revealed. At the first manifestations of the disease you need to seek professional advice and choose the right drug to get rid of this symptom.
Types of remedies that calm cough
Depending on the cause and form of respiratory attacks, the most effective treatment is chosen. Modern medicine has many drugs that will help not only get rid of this symptom, but also of the disease as a whole.
The agents that suppress the cough are divided into two types:
- Antitussive drugs that directly inhibit the reflex in the brain center and prevent its renewal.
- Mucolytics, which contribute to getting rid of the cause of its appearance.
The first type of remedy is used to suppress the cough reflex in a dry form, which significantly interferes with normal life and causes a lot of discomfort. To such means carry:
- Codeine - a drug that calms cough for 4-6 hours. One of his actions is dehumidifying the respiratory tract, so it is not recommended to take with expectorants and do not prescribe for a long time.
- Dimemorfan is an active substance that is used in the treatment of any respiratory disorders, especially of infectious origin. It actively removes inflammation and prevents the appearance of an intensification of cough reflexes.
- Butamirate is a substance that dulls receptors and, as a result, reduces the number of respiratory attacks. This remedy is an effective soothing cough that interferes with its development and affects the action of the central nervous system.
- Glaucin is a plant-based substance that suppresses coughing attacks and is not addictive.
A group of mucolytics is aimed at treating a cough with the help of dilution of sputum and its effective excretion. These are very common medicines, which are most often used as soothing and overwhelming coughs. These drugs include:
- Bromhexine, which is available both in the form of syrup, and in the form of tablets, will not only help calm the persistent dry cough, but also translate it into a moist form. the drug must be taken strictly at the appointed rate, so as not to cause side effects.
- Ambroxol is a very popular drug for the treatment of respiratory diseases. This mucolytic actively dilutes sputum, promotes expectoration, reduces the number of seizures and has a calming effect. Produced in various forms, contributing to the most effective course of treatment.
- Plant-based preparations, such as Gedelix and Linkas, which are active components are herbal extracts, which have long been used not only in pharmacology, but also in folk medicine. These drugs are actively suppressing cough reflexes and contributing to a decrease in their number.
- Muciltin is the most affordable remedy today, soothing a cough. But this does not make it less effective than other similar means. Taking it in the form prescribed by the doctor, you can quickly and effectively suppress various forms of respiratory reflexes.
Regardless of the form and type of cough, the medication is prescribed only by the attending physician. The specific features of this or that respiratory disease make priority the separate groups of preparations. Only an expert can competently prescribe treatment and choose among the most effective means. Do not neglect the therapist's advice and be healthy!
How to suppress cough
Suppress cough can be in cases where its cause is difficult to eliminate, and also urgently need to relieve a person's condition. After all, sometimes severe attacks can cause insomnia, palpitation, bronchospasm, fainting and other unpleasant consequences. But with regard to drugs that relieve a cough reflex, you should always be cautious, because their incorrect application can greatly harm your health.
- If you are bothered by a very strong, debilitatingcough, at the earliest opportunity, plan a visit to the doctor. Doctors often say that it is not necessary to treatcough, but its causes. Simply by suppressing it, you can "drive" the disease deeper, and then you will have to drink various medicines for a long time.
- You can alleviate your condition, first of all, by steam inhalations with some balsam - eucalyptus or menthol, which soften the mucous membrane and prevent it from drying out. If at hand you did not have any oil or balm, you can still do inhalation: a warm steam will moisturize your throat and you will begin to cough a little less.
- Strongcough, which caused severe irritation and sore throat, you can reduce by rinsing the throat with salt water. In doing so, take half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. You can also try other folk remedies: rinse the throat with a solution of medicinal herbs - chamomile, calendula, sage, eucalyptus. Another means for rinsing: dissolve a spoonful of honey and table vinegar in a glass of warm water. Rinse the complete solution in one go. Rinse should be repeated several times.
- Use a very simple, but in many cases, effective recipe: melt a frying pan of a couple of spoons of sugar (its the color should be light brown), pour in a glass of boiling water, and then add two slices of lemon and a little bulbous juice. This solution should be drunk every half hour for two tablespoons. By the way, with a strong cough, many grandmothers advise you to use "candy" made of burnt sugar. Try it - not worse than other "sucking" means.
- Try to remove the cough reflex with deep breathing and its delay. This is difficult, because it strongly "pulls" to cough, but in many cases it is more effective than the advertised pastilles for coughing.
- It makes sense to sit in a warm bath or drink a diaphoretic, take milk with soda, Borjomi or brew a breastfeed that is sold at the pharmacy.
- Lubricate the chest and back with some fat - lamb, badger, goat or at least chicken.
- When you break the sharpcough, warmly wrapped and try to sleep. But do not forget about the visit to the doctor.
How to suppress cough?
If you are disturbed by a very strong, debilitating cough, at the earliest opportunity plan a visit to the doctor. Doctors often say that you need to treat not a cough, but its causes. Simply by suppressing it, you can "drive" the disease deeper, and then you will have to drink various medicines for a long time.
You can alleviate your condition, first of all, by steam inhalations with some balsam - eucalyptus or menthol, which soften the mucous membrane and prevent it from drying out. If at hand you did not have any oil or balm, you can still do inhalation: a warm steam will moisturize your throat and you will begin to cough a little less.
A strong cough that caused severe irritation and sore throat, you can reduce by rinsing the throat with salt water. In doing so, take half a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water. You can also try other folk remedies: rinse the throat with a solution of medicinal herbs - chamomile, calendula, sage, eucalyptus.
Another means for rinsing: dissolve a spoonful of honey and table vinegar in a glass of warm water. Rinse the complete solution in one go. Rinse should be repeated several times.
Use a very simple, but in many cases, effective recipe: melt a frying pan of a couple of spoons of sugar (its the color should be light brown), pour in a glass of boiling water, and then add two slices of lemon and a little bulbous juice. This solution should be drunk every half hour for two tablespoons. By the way, with a strong cough, many grandmothers advise you to use "candy" made of burnt sugar. Try it - not worse than other "sucking" means.
Try to remove the cough reflex with deep breathing and its delay. This is difficult, because it strongly "pulls" to cough, but in many cases it is more effective than the advertised pastilles for coughing.
It makes sense to sit in a warm bath or drink a diaphoretic, take milk with soda, Borjomi or brew a breastfeed that is sold at the pharmacy.
Lubricate the chest and back with some fat - lamb, badger, goat or at least chicken.
When you break a sharp cough, heat it up and try to sleep. But do not forget about the visit to the doctor.
you can not push it. Understand the causes of cough.
If the cough is dry, drink antitussives (blocking the cough center). In any pharmacy you will be helped with the choice of the drug.
More warm drink.
With the help of medicines)))
Symptoms to quench antitussive drugs, and in general Arbidol - from viruses in general.
Ingoings make with sage and on the tip of the knife add some kind of ointment with eucalyptus, it helps a lot.
pine buds soak and drink a quarter cup
Inhalation with Proppanom. After them, the cough is several times faster. Even after the first procedure, my cough is more noticeable than the poem. I am treated only so.
How to choose a cough syrup
The choice of cough syrup is a responsible procedure, since different types of syrups are meant for different diseases and, having bought the wrong syrup, you risk not cure cough, but aggravate the situation and start disease.
Types of cough
There are two types of cough - wet and dry (productive and unproductive), with a wet cough the body tries to clear the lungs and bronchi from sputum. It is not necessary to prevent such a cough, on the contrary, it is necessary to try to thin the sputum so that it frees up from the body. In this case, you need to buy a cough syrup with expectorant properties.
If you are tormented by an incessant dry cough, you will be helped by means that suppress the activity of the cough center in the brain. Suppressing cough syrup should be used with great care, as they only hide the symptoms of the disease, but do not help the body to heal. You can not use such syrups to fight the so-called smoker's cough, as well as with emphysema and bronchial asthma.
Syrups that suppress the cough center, most often contain codeine or dextromethorphan, these substances effectively cough, but their use, especially prolonged, can cause addictive. Preparations based on codeine are sold only on prescription.
There are other substances that can suppress cough, but have fewer side effects, so the "Sinekod" preparation contains butramate citrate, which is not addictive.
There are also plant antitussive drugs. It is known that psyllium effectively suppresses dry cough, so many manufacturers make syrups based on this plant, for example, syrup "Gerbion" or syrup of plantain Dr. Tais.
Cough suppressants can contain substances that dilute sputum.
Mucolytic drugs are designed to help the body get rid of sputum, it's their doctors recommend to use for colds, when to suppress cough there is not much point.
Syrups with mucolytic action can contain as extracts of various herbs, as well as artificial chemical substances that can dilute sputum, for example, "Lazolvan" syrup contains ambroxol hydrochloride.
The most famous natural expectorants are the marshmallow medicinal, thermopsis, thyme.
In herbal syrup can also be added plant extracts that do not affect cough, but help the body fight the cold, for example, rose hip extract.
If, despite the use of syrup, cough does not go away, you need to see a doctor.
Baby cough syrups
Usually, children do not have a dry cough, so they rarely prescribe syrups that suppress cough. For the treatment of cough, the child usually uses herbal syrups, since they are good for children and their use has minimal side effects.