What does a constant cough in an adult mean?
A constant cough in an adult: normal or pathological? Any cough, which for a long time does not pass, for example, for a month or more, should alert everyone. Coughing in an adult is a protective reaction of the body that occurs for a certain reason, therefore, every conscious person must determine the provoking factor and choose options for it elimination.
In most cases, people turn to a doctor when already diagnosed with serious, neglected diseases, and the cough turns into a prolonged one, and the person can not even clear his throat.
What can provoke a prolonged cough?
In medical practice, it is common to distinguish between the infectious and non-infectious cause of the development of a strong cough.Non-infectious diseases include:
- Chronic forms of rhinitis, sinusitis, sinusitis, in which the nasal mucosa is constantly swollen. Sputum does not go outside and falls into the bronchi and trachea.
- Because of the excessive amount of spices in the stomach, acidity may increase and heartburn may occur. It can manifest as a cough.
- Allergic reactions of the body to irritants. In this case, the cough will be dry and prolonged.
- The reaction of the body to certain medications that have already caused addiction.
- Contaminated air in the workplace or in the village.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Presence of tumors in the airways or lungs.
Varieties of prolonged cough in adults
With any cough, the manifestations will be different. Therefore, it is worthwhile to know that there are several types of pathology:Intrusive. It is characteristic for diseases or inflammations in the larynx. Such a cough usually lasts long, appears at the initial stage of the cold. When the patient recovered, and the immunity did not recover, the cough continues to manifest and is more a protective reaction of the body.
If at this stage, not to help restore the immune system, then cough is a direct way to the bronchi. This leads to the development of acute bronchitis, which is treated for a long time, and in many cases takes a chronic form. If you do not organize the correct treatment, then a prolonged cough causes deformation of the bronchial walls, this leads to asthma, lung abscesses and pneumonia.
Many patients at the doctor's appointment indicate pain in the side, shortness of breath, fever, which accompany the main symptom.
A cough with wheezing or whistling is characteristic of whooping cough.
Barking - tracheitis or laryngitis.
Vocal cords are inflamed, in the chest you can clearly hear bubbling breath.Most often this cough torments the patient at night or early in the morning. There have been cases when choking occurs with improper treatment or neglect. A bout of dry cough with tracheitis or laryngitis can last up to 1 hour.
If the cough provokes a fever, a decrease in the tone of the voice, then this may indicate the development of tuberculosis.
ARI, ARVI has an obsessive cough.
Cough in the morning is typical for bronchial asthma. There are attacks of suffocation. Doctors emphasize that this kind of cough should only be treated, as it can lead to death.
Mental disorders are characterized by a metallic dry cough during eating, talking and have the effect of suddenness.
Treatment of dry cough in adults
Almost all smokers are diagnosed with chronic obstructive disease, which can cause lung cancer.
Tobacco smoke contains a large number of harmful substances, many of them are diagnosed as poisons for the human body. When the smoke is inhaled, irritation of the bronchial mucosa occurs, while the part remains inside and settles on the organ itself. This provokes oppression of the normal operation of the epithelium. After a short period of time, the epithelium generally ceases to fulfill its function of expelling harmful substances to the surface, and the bronchi absorb everything that gives them the smoke of a cigarette.This situation leads to chronic inflammation of non-infectious bronchial tubes.
Given that the bronchi lose their normal ability to fight and clear, joining any infection will not cause any special difficulties. Smokers have many cases of combining infectious and chronic bronchitis, which are superimposed on each other. These circumstances cause a prolonged course of the illness and the very recovery.
There are several options for treating a cough from a smoker. When using traditional medicine, it is necessary to get a consultation with a pulmonary physician. In general, mucolytics, expectorants are used for treatment. If a patient is diagnosed with an infection, then a course of antibiotics is prescribed.
You can use folk methods for treatment. It is enough to use herbal preparations from oregano, mother-and-stepmother, thyme, licorice root, marshmallow, plantain, calendula.
Good warming and grinding help.
Visiting a Russian bath, therapy with the use of essential oils help to remove an irritating cough.
Cure a smoker's cough completely can only give up cigarettes.
Cough dry for allergic reactions, tracheitis and laryngitisIn order to successfully treat a prolonged cough due to such manifestations, it is necessary to find out exactly the causes. All activities should be performed only after consultation with the doctor.
Patients with prolonged cough need to ensure:
- constant drinking, preferably decoctions of medicinal herbs;
- for the removal of spasm can be stocked with medical candy, which includes components for the activation of the glands and the ingestion of saliva;
- administration of inhalation with saline solutions;
- to carry out regular airing and wet cleaning at home, so that the air in the room is constantly moistened.
As drugs, it is recommended to take mucolytic drugs, in severe cases, narcotic drugs may be prescribed to stop severe attacks of cough.
Worth knowing! It is forbidden to take both antitussive and expectorant drugs at the same time, as there are cases of cupping sputum in the bronchi. This leads to the development of inflammatory processes.
From folk medicine can be used inhalation. With caution, you need to choose solutions for inhalation with an allergic cough. Herbs and oils can provoke additional allergic reactions and only worsen the patient's condition.
For everyone, inhalation with a soda solution is good. They help to translate dry cough into wet, dilute sputum and discharge them outside..
What is dangerous is the lack of treatment for a prolonged cough?
Prolonged reflex coughs of various types are dangerous for the human body and can lead to serious complications:
- Myocardial infarction. Since a prolonged cough affects the work of the bronchi adversely, an infectious disease develops or becomes chronic in them. Inflammatory processes in the bronchi affect the organs that are near.
- Such manifestations can cause psychological and psychosocial problems. It is difficult for a person to stay for a long time in public places, at work. If it is necessary to work in a voice, then it generally becomes impossible.
- A long cough in most cases causes shortness of breath, so physical activity decreases, which leads to other diseases in the body.
- Strong attacks can provoke a hemorrhage in the brain. Due to the fact that the patient constantly strains muscles, vessels in the head and body, the vessels of the brain lose the ability to work correctly.
- May cause inguinal and umbilical hernias.
Despite the fact that cough at first glance seems a non-serious disease, it can cause complications and a bunch of problems. Therefore, only timely treatment and diagnosis can return the body to a normal life without an unpleasant symptom.
Cough in adults: types, causes of seizuresCough without a cause in adults can not appear. This reflex action occurs against a background of various ailments. A forced act is a very important symptom, which has many varieties. It can start suddenly and resemble an attack. There are other types of cough in adults, for example, its sound can be barking, wheezing, hoarse. Very important is the color and consistency of the mucus, whether it exists at all. Analyzing these and other visible signs, the doctor can make a preliminary diagnosis. It is possible to find out exactly which ailment caused the appearance of a reflex action in a person, only after receiving the results of a biochemical analysis of blood, sputum and urine.
Types of cough in adultsThe doctors have developed a clear structure for the questionnaire of a sick person, so that a specialist can collect an accurate history of the disease within a few minutes. In the survey, a significant role is assigned to what sounds are heard when coughing in an adult, to the sensations that he experiences with a reflex act. Similarly, a specialist is necessarily interested in the duration of involuntary action, whether there are concomitant visible manifestations, such as a runny nose, dyspnea. When exactly forced exhalation occurs, for example, an adult cough is present only during the day, after sleeping, in the mornings or at night. The fact that different manifestations of the reflex act can signal the development of ailments of the cardiovascular system, lung damage, the development of asthma. Therefore, in diagnostics, even the smallest detail plays an important role.
Barking cough in adults
The cause of the reflex act, in this case, is a severe swelling of the larynx. Because of this, the lumen in it is significantly narrowed. This kind of involuntary action is also called tracheal. In an adult human laryngeal edema can be triggered by various causes, among the most common factors need to be distinguished:
- Effects of allergens. In this case, a sudden attack is recorded, which can result in diarrhea (in old age), vomiting.
- Streptococcal infection. As a rule, in this case the organism should be strongly weakened by any general chronic disease, for example, diabetes, cachexia, etc.
- Viral infections. It can be influenza, ARVI, ARI, etc.
Barking reflex act is very dangerous, because in severe cases it can result in loss of consciousness due to sensation of suffocation. A person with this condition can not completely produce a coughing process. Inhalation is not complete, and exhalation is accompanied by a strong suffocating cough. As a rule, the voice at this moment is quiet and hoarse.
Cough in adults with allergiesA suffocating reflex act, which has a paroxysmal character, is typical for the manifestation of an allergic or infectious-allergic reaction to stimuli. This involuntary action occurs in people with asthma. A feature of coughing in adults with allergies is that it can have a different character. The duration of the reflex action can also be different. Most often, a cough in an adult is accompanied by snot, suffocation, redness of the eyelids, edema of the larynx. The debilitating reflex act, passing with whistles and wheezing, can speak about the development of bronchitis. It is worth noting that in some cases, such a reaction with an allergy may not end immediately after the removal of the allergen, but last for weeks and even months.
Cough in adults after pneumonia and ARVI
There are following reasons for the onset of a reflex act in pneumonia: viruses, bacteria, ornithosis, fungi, intracellular bacteria, parasites, etc. The difficulty in diagnosing this disease lies in the fact that only the complete biochemical analysis of sputum and X-rays, which is done without fail, gives an accurate result. It is necessary to conduct a survey, since each type of pneumonia is treated only by a certain group of antibiotics.Often doctors fix the situation when, after completing the full course of treatment, a person continues involuntary acts for several weeks. A deaf cough is quite normal, which is triggered by the use of mucolytoks in the process of treatment. In the event that the reflex action is suffocating, it is necessary to ask for help from a doctor, as, most likely, it is a relapse of pneumonia or ARVI. The reasons for the fact that a new stage in the development of the disease began, there may be several. First, failure to comply with the prescription of the doctor, that is, the refusal to take medication or bed rest. Secondly, the wrong definition of the cause of pneumonia, and, consequently, the appointment of the wrong group of antibiotics.
Causeless cough in adults
As a rule, the reason for the appearance of an incomprehensible reflex act, the beginning of which has no real explanation (no temperature, all tests are normal), is a nervous shock or overexcitation. Most often, such a cough in adults is recorded before any important events. If the causeless involuntary action is debilitating and lasts for several months, then the source of trouble is a depressive state, a depressing feeling of guilt for anything.
Dry cough in an adult, causes treatmentDry cough in adults can talk about various diseases that develop in the respiratory organs. Dry cough can be provoked by viral, bacterial diseases, inflammatory process in the gastrointestinal tract, lungs, bronchi, a sign of cardiac pathologies. It is important to find out what he came from and start treating it in time.
Causes of dry cough in adulthood
Most often it is a consequence of pharyngeal irritation, especially the posterior wall. So there is a kind of protection. The body actively struggles with various alien stimuli, which turn out to be in the mouth, because of this there is a dry cough.
When a person begins to cough, the nasopharynx, bronchi, and trachea are strongly irritated. Dry cough can irritate the end of nerves in the pericardium, esophageal system, pleura. Some people after cleaning their ears can have a strong cough, so the body reacts to different kinds of irritants. The culprit of dry cough is different viruses, infection, bacteria.
Treatment of dry cough in adults
Therapy of an adult cough in contrast to a child does not cure completely cough, just can suppress a little of it. Such a method negatively affects the condition of a person, cough is often repeated with renewed vigor.
Dry cough is often a symptom of the common cold, at this time it is extremely important to treat it, it is necessary drink special mucolytic drugs, with which you can withdraw phlegm from the respiratory system. Most often dry cough lasts two days, the faster you can expectorate it, the sooner you will recover. Often, they can prescribe syrups that soften a dry cough.
Treatment of dry cough in adults with folk methods of treatment
If the cough is unproductive, it can often be disturbed by a sharp pain, a person feels a barbed wire in the throat area. To reduce the pain, you can use folk methods of treatment.
It is necessary to drink as much as possible warm, in small sips, tea helps with the addition of a small amount of honey, lemon.
For adults inhalation is suitable, for their use using aromatic candles. First, water is poured, an essential oil is added, and a candle is lit. All you need to warm 20 minutes. After inhaling the fragrance. Such procedures can be performed if you do not suffer from various allergic reactions. So you can not only cure a dry cough, but also calm down.
In adulthood, the method of treatment with vodka is often used. It can not be swallowed, pre-heated to apply as a rinse. With this procedure, you can destroy the bacteria that accumulated inside.
You can cure a dry cough with the help of the sweating method, you need to lie down and take cover. When the moisture comes out with sweat, the body will be cleansed of the toxins that provoke the inflammatory process.
If you have cold symptoms that are accompanied by a dry cough, you need to start timely treatment. When a cough does not pass a long time, you need to take special medications.
Normally, a healthy person can cough once a day, this is due to a gassed atmosphere, dust, also if you have problems with the respiratory system.
Factors provoking a dry cough
1. Tobacco smoke, tar, which strongly irritate the bronchial system.
2. Because of the dust, often a person, when inhaled by overdried air, he has a dry cough, while it strongly heats his throat.
3. When a foreign body appears in the respiratory tract, which can greatly irritate the mucous membrane of the organs.
4. Because of bronchial asthma, the most common dry cough is the first symptom of this serious illness. Most often appears at night, when it hurts in the chest, abdomen.
5. Pathological chronic processes in the ENT organs, with sinusitis, frontitis. When the mucus begins to drain, it irritates the throat, then the nasal cavity.
6. Because of the experienced strong stress, when a person is very worried, he had a nervous breakdown, cough begins to appear, it is also called psychogenic.
7. In cases of allergic reactions to dust, animal, chemical household products.
8. Because of a viral infection - pneumonia, bronchitis, influenza, whooping cough, ARVI. First a strong dry cough disturbs, then other symptoms appear.
9. When taking certain medications, often when a person takes medicines from high blood pressure - Enalapril.
10. Because of a malignant tumor, dry cough can be constantly disturbing, while high body temperature rises. In this situation, you should immediately be screened for oncology, check the lungs, bronchi, throat, trachea.
11. With endocrinological diseases, when nodes are enlarged, they strongly press on the area of the trachea, because of this there is a cough.
12. With the pathology of the heart. When the heart muscle is loaded, often this is due to increased physical exercise, with the appearance of shortness of breath, heart beat increases, it hurts very much. If a person has a neglected stage of heart disease, a large amount of blood may be released with mucus.
13. Because of intestinal and gastric diseases, they often form a fistula, after eating, the person coughs.
14. With tuberculosis, dry cough is permanent, appears in people who are constantly working, subject to stressful situations, do not rest. Because of these factors, the state of the immune system decreases, Koch's wand begins to multiply actively.
It can be concluded that it is necessary to avoid all of the above factors. If a dry cough appears on the forefront of an allergy, you need to take antihistamines, be sure to consult an allergist before that, so you can get rid of allergic reaction. In cases of viral nature of cough, you need to take special syrups, pills, decoctions, tinctures, especially modern inhalers help to cure a dry cough.
Cough without fever
Some symptoms of colds run without temperature and, therefore, sometimes do not cause much concern. In fact, they are very dangerous. For example, a prolonged cough without fever and cold suggests that there is a latent infection in the body. This symptom is extremely serious. Let's take a closer look at the causes of this phenomenon and how to get rid of it.
Causes of Cough without Temperature
If a person coughs for a long time, but does not have temperature, a cold or sneezing, this can be a sign of such problems in the body:
- Hidden inflammation or allergic reaction. This cough in the throat is accompanied by a runny nose and sneezing, but the temperature of 37 does not rise higher.
- Heart failure.
- Venereal disease. With this pathology, a constant cough accompanied by skin irritation, a rash, and the temperature does not increase.
- Pneumonia or ARVI.
Sometimes people cough not because of a cold, but because of the pollution of the environment. Often this symptom, along with a runny nose, is observed in people working at a mine, metal processing plant or chemical plant. Very often, without a runny nose and temperature, smokers cough for a long time. In people with allergies, this condition can be caused by feather pillows, in which mites are found. To understand how to be treated for a prolonged cough without a cold and fever, determine whether it is dry or wet.
The main causes that can cause a dry cough (sometimes with wheezing) without fever and cold are:
- Allergy to external irritants. The body tries to release the respiratory system from irritating particles, for example, dust, animal hair, household chemicals.
- Ecology. If you live in an environmentally unfavorable place for a long time, then barking cough with a runny nose without temperature can be caused by environmental pollution. Long-term smoking exacerbates the situation. All this sometimes leads to chronic diseases of the respiratory system.
- Heart problems. In this situation, the condition worsens when lying down. Sometimes it becomes difficult to breathe because of this.
- Papillomatosis of the larynx. The larynx is covered with papillomas. Another patient feels uncomfortable in the throat, but there is no fever or runny nose, like with a cold.
The reasons for this cough (in the absence of fever and cold) can be the following problems:
- Bronchitis, tracheitis, other similar diseases. As a rule, this symptom is a residual phenomenon of the inflammations, the maximum duration of which is a month.
- False groats. With this diagnosis, a person has a very strong cough without a runny nose and fever with painful bouts. The sputum practically does not clear the throat.
- Tuberculosis. A dangerous disease, which often does not show any other symptoms. Coryza and cough with phlegm containing blood.
- Cold. In ARVI, a person suffers from a runny nose, even if the temperature remains normal.
Such a cough in the absence of a runny nose and temperature is very dangerous. Man, suffocating, his throat is very sore. This in no case can not be tolerated or treated at home. It is necessary urgently to address to the doctor who will define, by what symptom such such attacks are a symptom. If you sometimes cough up almost to vomiting, the reasons for this may be:
- bronchial asthma;
- whooping cough;
- a tumor in the lungs or bronchi;
A dry cough at night can be a sign of an allergy to natural pillow fillers. But he is also a symptom of other dangerous diseases. It is necessary to try to understand what other signs are observed, for example, a runny nose or sneezing. If you have snot with no temperature at night, you have snot, it's either a cold or an allergy. Often people cough at night because of the wrong structure of the skeleton or internal organs, or inflammation of the nerve endings.
If there is no chill during prolonged cough, this does not mean that there is no danger. Constant coughing may indicate that the body for some reason does not respond to the virus with high temperature. If this lasts a very long time, you need to undergo a medical examination. The reasons for this condition can be:
- heart diseases;
- complex form of bronchitis.
How to cure a cough
To cure a prolonged cough without fever, it is recommended to use medicines and folk recipes. If you prefer the first option, first visit the doctor so that he can determine the cause of the problem and prescribe the prescription for the appropriate medication. If it's a cold without temperature, then the tablets that dilute sputum will help. These include Mukaltin, Ambrobene, Brommgeksin. In more severe cases, antibiotics will be needed.
Wet cough at home is treated and folk medicine. Very effective will be a mixture of mashed cranberries and honey (in equal parts). It is also recommended to drink honey with lime blossom and birch buds in the proportion glass. The mixture is boiled in a water bath for a quarter of an hour, filtered and drunk three times a day on a small spoon. If you do not know how to stop a cough and how to treat this condition, rub your chest with badger fat, which has an anti-inflammatory effect. Be sure to drink plenty of warm liquid. Different approaches are used to treat cough in children and adults.
To cure a strong prolonged cough in an adult, you need to determine the cause of the symptom and eliminate it. Dry cough at night is treated with antitussive drugs so that a person can normally rest. If it is associated with an infection of the upper respiratory tract, then you will need to drink pills for colds. The most important thing is to understand what to take to turn a permanent dry cough into a wet one. To do this, prescribe drugs that stimulate expectoration:
- Reflex. Drugs that drink with a prolonged cold. They affect the areas of the brain responsible for the cough reflex. The most common example is the leaves of mother-and-stepmother, plantain. Of the drugs - Codeine.
- Resorptive. Preparations that dilute sputum. Thanks to them, the lungs are intensively cleaned. Often, such medications are used for inhalations. Examples: ATSTS, Amtersol, Ascoril.
- Proteolytic. Make sputum less viscous. They include Gelomirtol, the herb of thyme.
- Mukoregulators. Tablets for increased production of phlegm, used to treat colds in most cases. For example, Ambroxol, Bromhexine.
A cough in a baby without temperature is normal, if the child is not naughty and sleeps well, behaves very actively, does not complain about a stuffed nose or weakness. But if barking, dry or wet cough does not pass, then you should consult a doctor. Pain when coughing and frequent long bouts, which sometimes lead to vomiting and do not give the baby in 3 years of sleep, talk about the presence of serious diseases in the body.
To treat a prolonged cough without fever, the child is prescribed:
- remedies that soothe spasms (Dzhoset, Ascoril, Kashnol);
- drugs for liquefaction of sputum (syrup Thyme, ACC, Bromhexine);
- expectorants (Stopoutsin, Bronchicum, Plantain syrup).
If your child has a dry allergic cough without a cold, the treatment should be comprehensive. In this situation, you need to drink antitussive drugs and visit an allergist who will identify the allergen and eliminate it. This can be household dust, pet hair. The specialist will write antihistamines (antiallergic), tell you what to drink for general strengthening therapy and improve immunity.
Video: Komarovsky on cough treatment in a child
Watch a video in which the famous children's doctor Eugene Komarovsky tells in detail how to treat a bad cough without a runny nose in an infant. Doctor's advice will help you understand why a cough occurs, what you need to do, so that the ailment quickly passes. Having looked at the video below, you will stop considering the cough something frightening and incomprehensible, and when it appears you can take correct steps without delay.
What to cure (stop) cough in adultsEach person experienced such a common symptom as coughing. This reflex act is very multifaceted, and it is rather difficult to treat it correctly. In some cases, an experienced physician can make an accurate diagnosis, at the first visit of the patient, only on the basis of an examination of a person and his story about the onset and course of the disease. However, not all the ailments are so easily identified.
Particular difficulty in diagnosing and treating cough in adults is pneumonia. The thing is that pneumonia can cause a large number of different pathogens. Therefore, in order to establish an accurate diagnosis, it is absolutely necessary to carry out a complete biochemical examination of sputum, in addition, sputum analysis and X-rays should be done. The danger of setting up an inaccurate diagnosis is that when an antibiotic of the wrong group is prescribed, inflammation of the pleura may begin or the illness may become chronic.
Determine the nature of cough in an adult
The first thing that needs to be determined is whether the reflex act is caused by colds, bronchitis, laryngitis, pneumonia or it has a completely different character of origin. For ailments caused by viruses and bacteria, the following symptoms are typical:
- Redness of the throat.
- Chryps in the bronchi or lungs, which are clearly audible when listening with a phonendoscope.
- Significant temperature increase. It should be noted that in some cases, a viral infection is observed the opposite process. The temperature drops below 36 degrees.
- Increased sweating.
- The adult coughs throughout the day and night, and not just after a morning's sleep or when the body is horizontal.
- In the early days of the disease, dry raucous or barking cough can be observed, which, as a rule, after the treatment on the third day becomes productive. Sputum is greenish or yellowish in color. Its consistency has an average degree of viscosity.
How to stop coughing in an adultThe choice of medications that can cure an adult can be directly related to the nature of its occurrence. If it is a bacterial infection, the prescription of broad-spectrum antibiotics is a necessity that can not be refused in any case. In the viral nature of the disease, medications such as interferon, amyzon, and the like are taken. Antibiotics are prescribed only in those cases when the disease passes into severe form, and complications such as pneumonia or obstructive bronchitis appear. To cure the reflex act, not only tablets are required, but also special procedures.
How to calm cough in adults
From cough to adults, the following activities will help:
- Paraffin applications.
- Inhalations. To calm a cough in an adult, you can use special nebulizer devices.
However, these procedures should be used in conjunction with drug therapy, as well as folk remedies.
How to treat wet cough in adultsTo treat a wet cough in adults, you can use a means to reduce the viscosity of phlegm. At the same time, it will increase in volume, but it leaves much easier. From coughing adults are helped by an abundant warm drink. It will help to withdraw phlegm from the respiratory system, in addition, the process of coughing will be much easier.
Such mucoregulatory drugs, like bromhexine, ambroxol, are able to restore the viscosity of mucus. This will ensure its rapid elimination. Mucolytic agents lead to a secret secretion. They are appointed by doctors in the event that there is a pathology of the bronchi or lungs.
Than to treat dry cough in adultsIf a productive reflex act is provoked by abundant sputum, a dry cough in an adult occurs against the background of irritation of the cough receptors. Therefore, the treatment will be aimed at suppressing the cough reflex. That is, in this case, there is no such treatment of reflex action. The effect is symptomatic, since constant trembling acts do not benefit the body, but vice versa. As medicines, ferveks, kodelak, coding, antitussive pills and syrups are excellent.
What can be a strong cough with sputumA strong cough with phlegm is always unpleasant, constant attempts to clear throat, secretion of a badly smelling liquid irritate the patient and surrounding, a similar condition occurs in different diseases, but in order for the treatment to be effective, it is necessary to accurately determine the cause disease.
Cough with phlegm is a syndrome of inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract, in which purulent or serous discharge accumulates in the bronchi and lungs.
Causes of cough with phlegm
1. The most common cause is viral diseases in the resolution stage, cough is not too strong, there is little sputum, it is clear and liquid, in case of bacterial infection, sputum becomes more abundant, thick, yellow or greenish in color, with an admixture pus. If after an acute respiratory viral or cold the cough has increased in the child, and there is abundant sputum, then you should carefully monitor its condition: increase body temperature, severe deterioration of the condition, frequent, severe cough suggest the spread of inflammation in the lower parts of the bronchi and lungs.
2. Sinusitis and sinusitis - inflammatory diseases of the nasal sinuses are often accompanied by a strong moist cough due to the flow of fluid in the respiratory tract. In this case, the patient has a cough without raising the body temperature, increasing in the morning hours. In such a situation, you need to treat the underlying disease, and not a symptom.
3. Bronchitis is a strong moist cough with hard-to-separate sputum, the main symptom of progressive inflammation bronchus, as the disease develops, cough becomes more severe, and sputum is released in more quantity.
4. An excruciating frequent cough with hardly-detachable sputum in a child occurs with such an infectious disease as whooping cough, This disease is characterized by very strong, painful attempts to clear the throat, possibly the occurrence of vomiting, loss of consciousness and dyspnea. If the child has an increase in body temperature, wheezing and frequent coughing attacks, it is necessary to urgently consult a pediatrician, since it is necessary to treat whooping cough in the hospital.
5. Pneumonia - frequent and severe cough, accompanied by the release of a large amount of purulent sputum, occurs with pneumonia, in In this case, a child or an adult has a sharp increase in body temperature to 39-40, weakness, chest pain and general worsening state.
6. Chronic diseases - a constant cough with phlegm, without raising the body temperature, may be a symptom of such chronic lung diseases, such as: tuberculosis, bronchiectasis, cystic fibrosis, oncological processes in lungs.
7. Allergic diseases - constant irritation of the mucous membranes with allergies can trigger the appearance of a moist cough that intensifies in the morning hours with a scant separation of a transparent "glass" phlegm.
To treat a moist cough you need to start by determining the cause of its appearance. Most often it occurs due to a viral or bacterial infection, in this case, the main purpose of treatment is the removal of microorganisms from the respiratory tract, their purification and regeneration.
1. Mucolytic and expectorant drugs - dilute sputum and promote its excretion from the bronchi and lungs. In the treatment of a child most often used: Bromhexin, Ambro (Ambroxol, Ambrobene), licorice syrup, ACC, Lazolvan and other expectorant sprays or syrups.
2. It is necessary to drink a few liters of alkaline liquid per day, this will help to avoid dehydration and facilitate the excretion of phlegm.
3. Very useful physiotherapy procedures - especially when treating a child of the first years of life, consult your doctor about the possibility of prescribing physiotherapy or spend it at home - for this use warming ointments and compresses on the chest, mustard or just dry heat on the neck and breasts.
4. Folk methods - "grandmother's recipes" can be used as an additional treatment or mild forms of the disease, but, in any case, it is necessary to consult with your doctor doctor.
- lemon with honey - mix 100 grams of honey and 1 mashed lemon, use 1 teaspoon before eating,
- sage infusion - a full tablespoon of dry leaves pour 200 ml of boiling water, insist, dilute with the same amount of warm water or milk and drink during the day. Infusion is contraindicated in pregnant and lactating mothers,
- juice of black radish with honey - mix 100 g of honey with the juice of 1 black radish, the dose for an adult patient - on a half-spoonful of the composition 2-3 times a day.
Treatment for a wet cough should be done under the supervision of a doctor, since only a qualified specialist can determine the cause of the disease precisely.
At what illnesses there is a cough with vomiting at the adult?
Everyone knows about frequent cough, whooping cough satellite, which brings the child to a vomiting reflex. And what if the cough with vomiting in an adult? Cough itself is not a disease, it is a symptom.And often such signs have diseases of the respiratory organs: influenza, acute colds, pneumonia.Only not always cough comes to vomiting. A vomitive reflex arises from the fact that coughing attacks irritate the receptors of the walls of the throat. Hence the conclusion: this state can develop due to the advanced stage of the cold, presence of foreign matter in the airway or because of a more serious health problem.
In children, coughing up to vomiting comes at a high level of intoxication of the body during a respiratory illness. Such symptoms in childhood are quite frequent, which can not be said about the adult generation. Adult patients have stronger immunity to diseases, which they already had in childhood, so the body reacts to infections and viruses not so violently. The only thing with which the human defense system can not cope is with neglected diseases. The body fails, and the disease manifests itself quite violently, leading a person to vomiting.
Diseases that cause such symptoms
The very first group of diseases that are suspected are acute respiratory viral diseases, which can affect a person with different intensity. Usually the onset of acute respiratory infections, colds, or flu comes with a feeling of malaise, weakness, and even with a dry cough.After a few days, the cough becomes wet, and when purging, purulent sputum is separated. Depending on the type of disease, it can be pectoral or barking cough. At high temperature, headaches and general malaise in adult patients, coughing can reach the gag reflex.
Another disease, the main symptom of which is cough, is acute or chronic bronchitis. With acute development of the disease, the patient will suffer from a deep and moist cough, with which mucous and watery sputum leaves. The chronic course of bronchitis passes with a more muffled symptom, similar to a "barking" sound. Usually the patient begins to cough in a cold or dusty room. In the morning, signs of bronchitis increase and often reach vomiting.
When tracheitis is diagnosed with a sonorous cough reflex with characteristic pain behind the sternum, high fever and weakness. Coughing the patient begins suddenly, breathing in cold air or smoke. After a cough, purulent sputum is separated.
If an adult is diagnosed with an allergic disease with bronchial asthma, the signs of the illness will be attacks of suffocation and a prolonged cough that comes to vomiting.Typically, this reaction occurs at the time of contact with the allergen stimulus. It is a seasonal illness characterized by exacerbations in the spring-summer period. It is worth noting that vomiting with a cough reflex occurs not only in allergies, but also in heavy smokers, and also after taking certain medications.
Pneumonia necessarily flows with a chest and deep cough, which is accompanied by a low temperature and pain in the lungs. The cough reflex is strong and often results in vomiting. The characteristic "rusty" sputum appears when the croup type of pneumonia.
Diseases not suspected
If a dry cough does not leave a person for a long time, while intensifying while reaching vomiting, then, most likely, the patient has tuberculosis. Sometimes such patients have blood in sputum. The general condition of a person worsens, for a long time, a low temperature can keep, and at night the symptoms will only increase. Usually patients suffer from excessive sweating and chills during the night.If a person for a long time is tormented by a dry cough that goes to vomiting, but the temperature remains within normal limits, this may be the first and only sign of lung cancer. Noticing this symptom, you can find out about the disease and begin its treatment in the early stages. To confirm the diagnosis, the patient will need to do a fluorography. When lung cancer, dry cough should necessarily change to wet.
In diseases of the gallbladder, a person can simply turn out from a cough reflex, which is accompanied by vomiting. Usually these are night attacks, after which the adult has convulsions of the thighs or lower legs, there may be shots in the eyes, burning of the feet, hot sweating occurs.
Such an irritating symptom is diagnosed when there is a malfunction in the immune and endocrine systems, liver diseases (it does not reach vomiting, but desires may be).
How to get rid of this symptom?If you can get rid of a simple cough with the help of antitussive drugs, then to treat a cough reflex with vomiting you need medical help. What is usually allowed to take with the usual dry or wet character of a cough can be harmful to health or ineffective in a vomitive reflex. First you need to determine the cause correctly and make a diagnosis.
During the period of illness, the patient must ensure rest and peace, it is desirable that he was in bed. To alleviate the suffering of the patient can be through prescriptions of traditional medicine. Usually used tinctures from breastfeeding, honey, milk and tea. At this time, you need to visit a doctor and go through the necessary examination, take tests.
If the diagnosis is a catarrhal disease, you should not take drugs that stimulate expectoration with a dry cough, and vice versa. Patients should consume a lot of warm liquid, which will promote the excretion of mucus. Herbal tinctures and decoctions, teas, milk with honey - the first thing that should always be near a patient with a cold or flu. Before taking medication, be sure to consult with your doctor and not make a diagnosis yourself. Do not self-medicate!