Cold During Pregnancy
Catarrhal diseases are most often caused by viruses:
- RNA-containing rhinoviruses - up to 40% of all colds;
- influenza and parainfluenza viruses;
- a respiratory syncytial virus;
Usually, after 3 days the virus is released from the body, but leaves behind a weakened immunity, after which is attached to bacterial infections or activated slumbering viruses in the body (virus herpes). If we consider that immunity in pregnant women is weakened, frequent colds during pregnancy can cause developmental disorders of the fetus and complications of pregnancy.
Is the common cold dangerous during pregnancy?
The virus in the early stages of pregnancy, especially immediately after conception (a cold in the first days of pregnancy) can cause the death of the embryo. When there is a laying of organs and tissues, the viral cold in the first weeks of pregnancy, damaging the germinal elements, causes various mutations in the fetus, lack of organs (especially often the virus affects the brain tissue) or malformations of the organs (especially heart). Predicting at what stage and in which organ the virus will cause defects is unrealistic, but it is possible to detect defects in screening ultrasound studies.
At the beginning of pregnancy, a cold is much more dangerous than in the second and third trimester, when it causes no longer gross organ defects, but functional disorders (eg, hypoxia and developmental delay fetus).
But not only viruses are dangerous: bacterial infections, although not so radically damaging the fetus, but can cause intrauterine retardation of fetal development, intrauterine infection of the fetus. A bacterial cold at 40 weeks of pregnancy can cause bacterial sepsis, meningitis, or pneumonia immediately after birth (in the neonatal period).
Symptoms of a cold during pregnancy
Symptoms of a cold during pregnancy are the same as in non-pregnant women: cough, runny nose, sore throat, fever, - the state of pregnancy has little effect on the course of the disease. And, if a pregnant woman gets cold, special control is needed not only because of possible complications from the organs that affect the virus, but because of the complications of the pregnancy itself. Therefore only an easy cold at pregnancy is treated at home, and moderate severity and a severe cold during pregnancy is treated only in a hospital under the supervision of a doctor.
Treatment of a common cold during pregnancy is usually local and is aimed at both removing the virus from the body and alleviating the symptoms of the disease. Antiviral drugs for the treatment and prevention of colds during pregnancy are not prescribed. Contraindicated and antibiotics, especially in the first trimester of pregnancy. But with bacterial complications, especially severe and life-threatening women (bacterial pneumonia), some of them can be used despite the risk to the child.
Local treatment of the common cold includes exposure to the site of the accumulation of the virus with antiseptics in the form of rinse solutions, tablets with local antiseptics, sprays for local irrigation. From the physiotherapy procedures, it is recommended to use the UVA method, nebulizer (inhalation) therapy with antiseptics on the inflammation focus. But, in addition to bactericidal action, it is possible to remove the virus mechanically by washing out of the focus of infectionweak solutions of acid (lemon juice, a weak solution of vinegar) or even simple boiled water.
To remove the symptoms of intoxication with a cold you can use a lot of fluid: pure water, teas (from currants, strawberry leaves) without sugar and broths of medicinal herbs (broth rose hips). To facilitate coughing, alkaline-oil inhalations are shown, and to reduce the temperature - tea with raspberries.
Preventing colds during pregnancy - bracing exercises, full nutrition with a large the number of fresh vegetables and fruits, avoid overcooling and a large crowd of people, where possible get infected with a virus.
Can I breast-feed my baby during a cold?
Breast milk is an indispensable food for a baby during the first year of life, however, in case of illness, many mothers are worried that the baby will be infected while feeding.
- The composition of breast milk directly depends on how the young mother feeds, what medicines she takes, what way she lives. If a woman falls ill, the infection can get through the milk into the baby's body, so many mothers prudently stop breastfeeding for the period of illness. In fact, not every disease is dangerous for the child. Catarrhal diseases and SARS in a nursing mother are not an excuse for interrupting feeding.
- When observing the necessary precautions, feeding a child during a cold will not only not bring him any harm, but will also help to strengthen the immunity of the baby. During a cold together with milk, the mother passes the child antibodies to the disease. Even if the baby gets sick, he will suffer a cold quickly and without complications, since mother's milk is the best natural immunomodulator. It is known that the children of women who continued feeding during the period of acute respiratory viral infection are more healthy than the ones who were temporarily transferred to artificial feeding.
- To ensure that feeding during colds does not harm the child, it is necessary to regularly ventilate the children's room, use a quartz lamp for prevent the development of acute respiratory viral infection in the baby, use a face mask in contact with the baby, and carefully select medicines for treatment, after consulting with a doctor. All drugs for treating colds should be compatible with breastfeeding. If the cold is not accompanied by a rise in temperature and various complications, enough folk remedies - a decoction of chamomile or marigold will help get rid of sore throat, hot foot bath will remove the symptoms of a beginning cold, and disinfecting essential oils will help cope with coryza. The choice of essential oils and medicinal herbs should be agreed with the doctor, as some of them are harmful to the child and can cause allergic reactions.
- The temperature of the nursing mother can be knocked down only by "Paracetamol" and "Nurofen". These drugs are safe for the baby and penetrate into the milk in a microscopic concentration. If antibiotics are necessary for treatment, the doctor should choose a drug that does not need to stop lactation. Compatible with breastfeeding "Amoxiclav" and "Azithromycin".
- If you take drugs that do not threaten the baby's health, and continue feeding, the cold will pass without a trace and will not affect the child's health in any way.
How will the child's illness affect the future child with a cold during conception?
if your husband does not take antibiotics or what psychotropic drugs, then go ahead. conceive the baby.))) Good luck.)))
catch the wave,
All the same, do not take into account, and each byaka can not be saved. And you can transfer it for 15-20 years. Not that you have an excuse, it seems to me, although I'm not a doctor and I can be wrong.
Spermatozoa that are now ready for fertilization have matured a very long time, so that the common cold will not be reflected! But drugs, especially antibiotics, can affect the mobility of the livers.
no, do not reflect))) good luck to you)))
In any way will not affect.