Dry cough in the baby
The child coughs when the surface of the throat is irritated. This happens during illness or when the body fights the infection, secreting a lot of phlegm. What if I have a dry cough in my baby? Young mothers often become confused and begin to panic, especially if there is no coughing up. How to help the baby calm down, get rid of this ailment, find out the causes and ways of treating the disease? Treat or rely on folk remedies?
What is dry cough?
Coughing in an adult and a child is one of the reflexes that helps to rid the body of excess mucus, germs and foreign bodies. When it becomes suffocating, the liquid does not clear up in the form of phlegm, then this process is called dry cough. Especially dangerous if it appears in the baby. This is a symptom of a viral infection, which can be of a long character, and can go away in a few days, with proper diet and adequate treatment.
When a dry cough in a baby or older child acquires a permanent character, this is a consequence of a serious illness. An inflamed larynx, trachea or tonsils lead to a severe attack, which becomes suffocating and brings the baby to vomiting. In such cases, you should not torture a child, you need to immediately contact the pediatrician, who will tell you what to take and how to soothe the baby.
To stop the incessant dry cough in a child and to alleviate his condition, it is necessary to determine what triggered this process. Modern medicine has several dozen reasons, the occurrence of seizures in children, we list the most frequent of them:
- Acute bronchitis is a consequence of the inflammatory process in the bronchi, which is accompanied by an increase in body temperature to 38 ° C, dry barking cough, and general weakness. Diagnosis is performed by listening to the bronchi with a stethoscope. Treatment of this disease is aimed at diluting the dried mucus in the bronchi. Dry cough caused by acute bronchitis, successfully treated with drugs and folk remedies for 5-7 days.
- Laryngitis and pharyngitis are diseases in which severe laryngeal edema occurs. Accompanied by a continuous swelling in the throat, a sonorous voice becomes hoarse. At the slightest exertion, dyspnea appears. Dry throat does not give the child peace.
- Whooping cough is an ailment that begins with a dry cough, at first it does not bother the child much. After a week, seizures become more intrusive. It is not possible to diagnose pertussis immediately. there is a similarity with the common cold. Often it is confused with an allergic cough. The disease is long, weakly treatable. Pertussis is ill once in a lifetime, then persistent immunity is produced.
- Diphtheria of the oropharynx (croup) is a deadly disease. It is accompanied by an elevated temperature up to 38 ° C, dry barking cough. Over time, it becomes paroxysmal. If you do not call the doctor in time, diphtheria becomes chronic. Often this ailment is complicated by pneumonia.
- Tuberculosis provokes a dry cough in the child. This disease is determined only by clinical analyzes.
- Allergic and cold cough. These two ailments are often similar in their symptoms. Many parents ask themselves: how to distinguish between an allergic cough and a cold? Do it not just without putting the relevant tests. Allergic cough occurs unexpectedly, has a paroxysmal character, colds, on the contrary, increase gradually, moving from a slight cough to deep spasms for a day or more.
- Bronchial asthma is a combination of three components: allergies, low immunity, disruption of the nervous system. During an asthmatic attack, the child, when inhaled and exhaled, hears whistling sounds in the bronchi, there comes a prolonged, dry cough.
- The presence of some species of living organisms (helminths) in the human body contributes to dry cough in the child. Ascarids live not only in the intestines, like the bulk of worms, but move through all the internal organs: getting into the lungs, they cause a dry cough.
Treatment of cough with folk remedies in children
Many parents during the illness of the child do not want to resort to the help of modern medicine. If you do not want to stuff your child with harmful syrups and tablets, load a small organism with a chemically advertised products, then you can take advantage of the experience of our grandmothers who knew how to treat and how to alleviate the difficult condition patient. Most types of cough in a child can be cured at home, using folk recipes.
Herbal treatment for many centuries has accumulated a lot of experience and does not cease to show a positive result in the fight against a dry cough in a child. Thanks to the healing properties of plants, many diseases are cured, and the preventive use of natural elements secures the result. Here are a few options for useful herbs:
- Mother-and-stepmother takes the first place in the treatment of all kinds of dry cough. Tannins contained in the leaves of this plant have a diluting effect for thick, viscous sputum, helping it to quickly expectorate. Tea from mother-and-stepmother is drunk warm in the morning, and in combination with natural honey will taste even the most fastidious child. It is advisable to drink it in the evening, before going to bed. Providing anti-inflammatory effect, this plant quickly put on the feet of your baby.
- Licorice root like the previous grass has an expectorant effect on sputum. With proper use, it will quickly cure of bronchitis, laryngitis. Will ease the condition with a debilitating dry cough during an asthmatic attack. Licorice has an anti-inflammatory effect, beneficently influencing the general well-being of the child. Grass is used to improve immunity and restore strength after ailments.
- The root of the althea will help get rid of dry cough due to the large content of essential oils, mucus and ascorbic acid. This herb dilutes the withered phlegm, thanks to the enveloping property, contributing to its rapid excretion from the lungs and bronchi.
- Collection of oregano, calendula, mint, licorice root and violet grass has an effective expectorant effect during a dry cough in a child.
In medicine, mustard plasters are used as a warming agent due to the content of essential oil, which causes a rush of blood and leads to a deepening of breathing. Use them with caution. mustard causes increased production of sputum, which can cause spasm in the bronchi and the larynx, hence the complication - obstructive bronchitis. The vapor from the mustard plasters is caustic, and if inhaled, they can cause a mucous burn. The mustard is a distraction, the benefits of this drug have not been proven. Contraindications to use:
- Allergy to mustard. If red spots appear on the back during the application of hot packets, then it is necessary to immediately abandon this procedure.
- Skin diseases.
- Increased body temperature.
- Diseases of the heart and pressure problems.
Children rarely like inhalation, if you manage to persuade your child to breathe over a warm steam, then a dry, prolonged dry cough can be cured quickly without harming your health. Applying this folk way, you will replace them with chemical preparations, syrups and tablets. Advantages of using inhalation for dry cough:
- active moisturizing of the nasopharyngeal mucosa, promotes liquefaction of sputum;
- has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- safety, provided that natural ingredients are used for inhalation;
- adding one or two drops (not more) of lavender essential oil, rosemary or tea tree, you will get a double effect: relieve dry cough and relieve the child of a headache.
But with all the positive qualities that inhalation has, do not forget about contraindications:
- body temperature above normal;
- emphysema (lung disease);
- heart problems;
- presence of purulent sputum.
Do not underestimate the benefits of a simple, at first glance, popular way of cough treatment. During the application of compress on the chest area, deep warming of the tissues takes place. This action has an anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect. Compresses are of several types:
Applying a compress, you need to make sure that the baby's temperature is normal, otherwise it will provoke an even greater increase. Carry out this procedure in the evening, so that after taking off the child immediately went to bed. With care, you need to use a honey compress. Often the child is allergic to this product. Doctors warn parents of alcohol bandages, because, absorbed through the skin, alcohol harms the small body.
Sometimes folk remedies, with all their advantages, do not cope with a neglected disease. Then, to help parents come medication from a night dry cough. To quickly get rid of the disease, you need to seek help from a pediatrician who will tell you how to relieve a fit of cough and prescribe the appropriate treatment. Antitussive medications are taken at night, just before bedtime, and expectorants during the day.
Modern pharmaceuticals consist of several hundred different syrups from cough, expensive and cheap. Made for the child, they have a pleasant sweet taste, the smell, thanks to the fruity additives and natural dyes. This medication is prescribed for children under three years of age. a child of this age is difficult to swallow a pill. Syrups from a dry cough in a child, depending on the cause of its occurrence, have a soft, enveloping effect. Before use, read the instructions carefully, exclude contraindications. There are several types:
- syrup with antitussive effect, for example, "Sinekod". It is prescribed for an unproductive, painful, not ceasing cough. He treats such diseases as pertussis, croup;
- syrup with mucolytic effect, such as "Ambrobe" is prescribed in order to soften the cough and dissolve thick sputum;
- syrup with spasmolytic action, for example, "Pectolvan Ivy is taken to relieve a painful, barking dry cough.
Preparations for allergic cough
The most effective way to cure this kind of cough is to eliminate the source of allergy. This can be animal hair, dust, chemicals (washing powder, aerosols). In case this did not solve the problem, you need to use the drugstore drugs that suppress the allergic reaction. Only a doctor is entitled to prescribe a treatment. It is necessary to know that such medicines have an effect if you cleaned your house of the cause that caused the allergy. Otherwise, the action will be weak.
To ease the obsessive cough in a child, the doctor often prescribes a dry potion. This drug before consumption is diluted with boiled water and taken internally. Advantages of dry medicine:
- has a natural composition, which includes the root of licorice;
- has a wide range of actions, it is used as an expectorant, relieves spasm, painkiller;
- convenient dosage in the form of bags, used immediately after manufacture;
- large expiration date.
With pneumonia, inflammation of the bronchi, trachea and laryngitis, the doctor, in addition to folk methods, prescribes soluble powders from a cough, such as "ATSTS". This medicine is taken for 7 days. Relief comes on the second day of treatment. Well dissolves the dried sputum and allows it to easily release bronchi and lungs. Due to the irritating and antioxidant effect it fights bacteria and infection, which is caused by ARVI.
What to do if a dry cough does not go away
The longer the child coughs, the faster the coughing habits in the brain are formed. The reason is gone, and the seizures remain for months. In most cases this is due to dehydration of the body, low level of humidity in the house. These reasons are easily eliminated by copious drinking (not carbonated, not sweet drinks), daily wet cleaning, or by the inclusion of an air humidifier (preferably).
Video: Komarovsky on a dry cough
All respected doctor Komarovsky as no one else will be able to talk about the causes of prolonged dry cough, how to help alleviate the condition of a sick kid and his parents, if the child he coughed all night. Available and with the humor inherent in this pediatrician, he will disclose information about the methods of treatment, about contraindications to these or other methods. Answer the most exciting questions of parents.
Feedback on treatment
Irina, 27 years old: "My son is 3 years old. A month ago I started to go to the kindergarten, less than a week passed and fell ill next morning. I returned home with fever. Dry cough only began at night. I did not know what helped in such cases and began to treat it with folk remedies: I made chamomile, mother-and-stepmother and rose hips. After applying herbs, a few days later the cough became wet, the runny nose disappeared. "
Olga, 25 years old: "After discharge from the hospital, my baby has a dry cough. I did not know how to properly treat in children up to a year this disease. The child was without temperature and there were no other signs of a cold. Accidentally I saw the transfer of Dr. Komarovsky, who talked about coughing in children. The reason was found in the soft toys and carpet that were in our room. "
Natalia, 32 years old: "When my child has an unproductive cough, I think it's from the dry air in the house and I know how to stop the illness: I conduct a wet cleaning in the room, I enter the drinking regime, in the form of clean water and warm tea with honey, I turn on the humidifier for a night from dry air, aired house. I do not close the window for sleep, even in winter. And that's all! I do not welcome any chemistry, and we do not go to the doctors, we do not drip anything into our nose. "
The child has a frequent coughFight for the health of your child needs tirelessly. But, what if all means in the fight against viruses and microbes are tried, and there is absolutely no improvement in the state? Does the child have a frequent cough and other symptoms? In this case, the problem of well-being needs to be approached very responsibly. Turning to a pediatrician you can get good advice. But, even with prescribed medication and physiotherapy treatment, improvements may not occur. In this case, it is necessary to identify the root causes of this condition and try to do everything possible to restore the health of the baby in noma.
Frequent coughing in the child: causes
Cough can not appear from scratch. And this means that for its appearance there are good reasons. A frequent cough for the child causes is very diverse. Therefore, in order to understand the methods and correct approaches to its treatment, it is worthwhile to consider all the prerequisites and conditions preceding such behavior of the child's organism.
Often a frequent cough for a child causes the following:
Viruses that actively multiply in the body and depress the immunity of the baby. Moreover, along with the improvement in the condition and the decrease in cough reflexes, there can be an aggravation of the situation. The child exhibits frequent and active seizures, which are almost impossible to stop. In addition to the usual catarrhal and viral diseases, the root cause of this condition can be measles, sore throat, or even whooping cough. In this case, a frequent cough in the child's cause is very significant and to get rid of them you need to come up with a special responsibility.
Bacterial infections affecting the respiratory tract. Along with a frequent cough there is a copious rhinitis.
Allergic reactions to various irritants. In this case, the reason is very trivial and if you exclude allergens from the child's habitat, the frequent coughing stops quite quickly.
Foreign objects. The curiosity of children is boundless and sometimes without noticing that the baby has put a ball, nut, beans, toys and many other things into the throat, we can observe a frequent cough. In this case: until you remove a foreign object from the larynx, the attacks will not stop. If you consider that this kind of pampering can lead to more serious consequences, then it is necessary to relieve the baby's condition as soon as possible.
A frequent cough in the child's cause is rather trivial. But, if it does not stop for two weeks, then most likely it has already acquired a chronic character.
Frequent dry cough in the baby
Ignoring the frequent dry cough in the child, you can skip the beginning allergies, whooping cough, laryngitis, pharyngitis, fibrosis, false cereal, pneumonia and many other diseases. At first glance, it seems that these coughs do not have anything bad under them, the child just choked with air, or he has a slight malaise. With special care must be taken to the health of the baby, if against a background of frequent dry cough is observed:
- increase in temperature, even up to 37 degrees;
- headaches, trouble breathing;
- changes in color of the dermis.
The insidiousness of this state of the body is that the bacterial and viral infections are in an inactive state. This leads to an implicit symptom of the disease. In this case, an active inflammation of the upper respiratory tract occurs. He is prone to both nose, pharynx, and oral cavity. Without visiting a pediatrician, you can not do.
Another important point in the diagnosis is the time stretches, in which there is a frequent dry cough in the child. Night attacks of cough can testify to whooping cough, actively progressing sinusitis, the initial stage of bronchial asthma or heart failure. With day coughing attacks, it is possible to suggest the development of a baby: pathological changes in the bronchi, chronic bronchitis, whooping cough and gastro-food reflux, influenza and SARS.
What kind of disease the child is not exposed to, it should be treated with utmost care. Proper and competent treatment at the beginning of the disease will protect the baby from aggravation of the condition and its degeneration into a chronic form.
Frequent dry cough in a child, than to treat?
If today it is not possible to consult a pediatrician or call an ambulance at home, you need to know: "A frequent dry cough in a child, than treated?". First of all, it is worth making it productive. The ideal option and almost completely safe, is the strengthening of the drinking regime. Warm herbal tea with the addition of honey and raspberry jam, naturally a classic. Nevertheless, it is this that can make the cough productive and facilitate the excretion of phlegm. In this case, the pain that occurs with prolonged attacks, the baby will retreat. In order not to harm, you need to start with this. Concerning drug treatment it is necessary to consult a pediatrician. Perhaps, due to the attendant symptoms, some medications will not only not work, but will have the opposite effect.
Depending on the condition of the child, the doctor can prescribe drugs of three groups:
antitussive drugs, reducing the activity of cough cents and reducing the number of coughing attacks;
mucolytics, due to the enzymes contained in them contribute to the dilution of sputum and facilitate its removal from the nasopharynx;
expectorant drugs, make sputum less viscous and contribute to its rapid separation from the mucous membrane of the bronchial tree.
Frequent dry cough, rather than treat should appoint a specialist. Self-administration of drugs does not always lead to positive consequences.
Frequent cough in a child without fever
Extreme care should be taken if a frequent cough in a child without fever is observed for several days. This is a clear sign of a progressive disease. It is likely that the prerequisites for the development of this state were:
- allergic reactions to dust, tobacco, pet hair, chemical preparations;
- whooping cough;
- helminthic invasion;
- bronchial asthma;
A frequent cough in a child without fever can indicate many exacerbating diseases. A complete examination of the baby's condition is necessary. Disease in its infancy is much easier to cure than to deal with further complications.
Frequent wet cough in a child
With a certain relief, you can breathe out when a frequent wet cough in a child becomes less strong. In this case, the body has already begun to clear the bronchial tree of mucus and to alleviate the condition of the baby. But, it's not worth to relax at this stage. The disease is not yet defeated. The essence of proper treatment lies in its complete completion. And the mistake of most parents is to reduce the course of treatment to a minimum. As soon as the baby becomes lighter, they immediately stop taking medication and the only thing that helps the weakened body of the child: physiotherapy procedures. As a result of such negligence, the disease is not treated and returns very quickly. Frequent wet coughing in a child is not bad, but it is necessary to make sure that all the products of the disintegration of microbes and viruses are fully eliminated from the body. And this process takes 1-2 weeks and needs to be completed.
Frequent barking cough in a child
Very serious fear can cause a frequent barking cough in the child. He not only exhausts the baby, but also causes a lot of suffering. In most cases, its primary cause is laryngitis. Inflammation of the larynx should be treated under the supervision of a specialist and procedures should be carried out as quickly as possible so that the baby's condition does not worsen. Additional symptoms that accompany laryngitis can be called:
- severe hoarseness;
- loss of voice;
- constant sensation of throat overdrying;
- sore throat.
Frequent barking cough in a child should be properly treated and then he will not leave behind any unfavorable consequences.
Very frequent coughing in a child
If there is a very frequent coughing in the child, then the person may have other symptoms of whooping cough. In this case, it has a paroxysmal character. A characteristic feature of this disease is that it can torment the baby for almost half a year. As soon as the first bouts of coughing are present, it is worth immediately contacting the pediatrician. With a comprehensive approach, the disease is cured in 2-3 weeks.
Severe frequent coughing in the baby
With special care should be taken to situations where there is a strong frequent coughing in the child. Prolonged seizures can become prerequisites for tuberculosis. Atrophic inflammatory process, taking place directly in the bronchi leads to very negative consequences. Sputum is accompanied by small clots of blood.
If a strong cough is only a consequence of ARVI, then additional symptoms will be a sore throat. For developing pneumonia, chest pain is common.
The child often coughs do not appear unreasonably. To eliminate it you need to do everything possible. Without the help of a qualified doctor who is able to deliver the correct diagnosis in a timely manner, this can not be avoided.
Possible causes of persistent dry cough
A constant dry cough, uninterrupted for a long time, should alert the patient and the people around him.This condition can be a sign of dangerous diseases of the respiratory system in adults: chronic bronchitis, pleurisy or pulmonary tuberculosis or a symptom of allergic reactions in a child.
- Rhinitis, sinusitis or sinusitis can provoke the appearance of postnatal wilt syndrome, when Nasal discharge flows down the posterior surface of the pharynx, irritates the mucous membrane and causes a permanent dry cough. Another reason can be the use of vasoconstrictive or antihistamines, causing dryness and irritation of the mucous membrane.
- Gastro-esophageal reflux - heartburn also can provoke the appearance of a cough that increases for no apparent reason. If the contents of the stomach get into the esophagus into the oral cavity, irritation of the mucous membrane of the larynx occurs, which causes a sensation in the throat and a desire to clear the throat. It intensifies after eating fatty or fried foods and is not accompanied by other symptoms of a cold. This condition is typical for adults suffering from diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Allergic reactions - if a constant dry cough for several months torments the child and the usual methods of treating colds do not help, it is necessary to undergo an examination with an allergist. Allergies can occur suddenly, in a child or adult, and at the initial stages of manifesting cough, nasal congestion, lacrimation and sneezing, then shortness of breath, chest pain, shortness of breath and other signs of respiratory insufficiency. With allergic diseases in the throat of the patient there are no signs of inflammation, and the symptoms of the disease increase at night or in the mornings.
- Taking medication - taking certain medicines, such as ACE inhibitors, can provoke the appearance of a sore throat and dry persistent cough.
- Contaminated air and various irritants cause irritation of the respiratory system, this condition is typical for smokers, people working in chemical plants or constantly breathing polluted air with impurities of various substances. This pathology is often found in young children, if the child has a tendency to develop allergic diseases. When examined, there are no signs of the disease in the patient's throat, and the symptomatology intensifies always under certain conditions: in the workplace, during smoking or while walking on the street.
- Cardiovascular diseases - this can lead to respiratory failure, pulmonary edema and, as a consequence, a constant dry cough.
- Airway compression - when the trachea or bronchi is compressed by enlarged lymph nodes, mediastinal tumors or aortic aneurysm, a strong persistent cough can also occur. In this case, the patient has other symptoms of the disease - permanent weakness, dyspnea, fever body, a sharp loss of weight and so on, and when examining the ENT organs, in the patient's throat, there are no changes.
- Diseases of the respiratory system - a constant dry cough in a child can be a sign of developing bronchitis or pneumonia. With weakened immunity, improper or insufficient treatment, a common cold or SARS may be complicated by the development of pulmonary diseases.
- Glistovye invasions - due to the migration of parasites to the respiratory system, the child periodically has irritation of the mucous membrane and cough, also there is a decrease or vice versa, a sharp increase in appetite, weakness, irritability, pallor of the skin and rashes on body.
- Pertussis - a severe permanent dry cough in a child may occur due to pertussis. This infectious disease usually proceeds in a mild form, but complications can sometimes occur.
- Tuberculosis infection - a permanent dry cough without other signs of the disease, which lasts for six months or more, may be a sign of pulmonary tuberculosis. In this case, the patient may not have other symptoms of the disease, and the cause of the cough can be determined only by additional methods of investigation.
A persistent dry or wet cough that does not respond to treatment in the usual way is a serious reason to consult a doctor and you can be sure of the absence of serious diseases and pathologies in organism.
Methods for removing a strong cough in a child at nightAttacks of night coughing disrupt the sleep of the child, do not rush to give antibacterial drugs, can only worsen the situation. It is important to find out the reason in time, only then to begin the necessary course of therapy. If at night the child is disturbed by a cough that can result in vomiting, the main thing is not to panic. Cough is a defense, it appears in the inflammatory process in the bronchial system, the upper respiratory tract. During the cough, the body is cleared of a large number of bacteria in the disease.
Causes of coughing at night
When a child sleeps, a lot of mucus begins to accumulate in the area of the nasopharynx, it does not resolve, it can stagnate. When a large amount of mucus accumulates, it begins to overlap the area of the nasopharynx, because of this cough is reflex.
This happens to the lungs, when a person lies, mucus and sputum may not resolve at all, because of this, blood circulation in the lungs area may be disturbed. Most often the disease appears in late autumn.
Provokes a paroxysmal cough at night cold, overdried air. Because of it, the mucous membrane is strongly irritated in the larynx, so a strong cough appears.
It is important to treat the cough under the supervision of the therapist, because often, especially in young children, a strong cough at night can cause choking. It must be urgently treated.
Diseases that cause a violent cough at night
1. If a cough is provoked by a viral infection at night, it is accompanied by a strong cold.
2. Cough can appear due to chronic rhinitis, sinusitis.
3. If the cough is accompanied by tingling, perspiration, this indicates pharyngitis of a chronic nature.
4. When a coughing wheezing, it speaks of bronchial asthma. If the child has a mild form other than a cough at night, there are no other symptoms. To clarify the diagnosis, you need to immediately consult a therapist.
5. If the cough lasts a long time at night, while it is dry, it indicates a disease - whooping cough. The disease is easy to distinguish from others, seizures are repeated at the same time, can be aggravated at night. When a child coughs, his face becomes very red, tears appear, lead breath, may be accompanied by severe vomiting.
6. When a child is often troubled by heartburn, a cough at night can be a symptom of reflux.
7. Because of adenoiditis, when the mucus enters the laryngeal region, the child breathes in the air with air, begins to dry out the mucous membrane, a violent cough begins.
8. Care must be taken to the symptom, which is accompanied by high fever, deterioration of the child's condition, it can speak of a serious illness.
Ways of getting rid of a child from a night cough
1. How often can I give a baby at night? With the help of it you can get rid of a dry cough. It is best to prefer warm milk with the addition of Borjomi mineral water, honey, butter, as well as herbal tea based on chamomile, dog rose, linden. When a child does not breathe a nose, he makes it with his mouth. With abundant drinking, you can moisturize your throat, so get rid of a strong cough. If the child has six months, you need to give a decoction on the herbs with a spoon, no more than three times a day, under one teaspoon. If the child is an adult, you can give a decoction on the herbs on a tablespoon.
2. Pay attention to the air in the room, do not allow dry air, constantly ventilate room, especially when the room is heated, because of it respiratory organs begin to irritate system.
3. Often a cough can be triggered by an allergic reaction, this requires the child to give an antihistamine.
4. If the child has not yet reached the age of six months, in no case should antihistamines, rub off the breast, use steam inhalation.
5. Force the child to roll over, so the sputum will not have time to accumulate.
In cases where a cough after a course of treatment has not been taken for a long time, it is necessary to consult with the attending physician, to pass blood tests, to undergo an x-ray, additionally it will be necessary bronchoscopy.
Remember that coughing always indicates that the body is actively fighting the disease, so It is not necessary to aggravate the focus on cough treatment, we need to get rid of the main reason that it has caused. Most often at night, an allergic cough worries, so pay attention to which pillow the child is sleeping on, maybe his the body does not perceive stuffing from sheepskin, feathers, poor-quality sofa padding, pajamas, on powders that wash away bed. If the cough has appeared abruptly, notice that you have a new one at home, often allergies are aggravated by red eyes, a problem with the skin, dermatitis, itching, redness in the face or body.
That the child was easier to clear his throat, the child's therapist can prescribe medications that will help to get out sputum faster and cough will become productive
If the child's cough is dry at night and it is difficult for him to clear his throat - the doctor can prescribe expectorant medications.
At night, advise to use a pack of potatoes, for this you need to boil it first, cool a little, fold, mash in a mash and attach to the back of the baby, first lay down the diaper, then just compress to not burn the skin child. On top put on something warm, so that the respiratory organs get warm well. After cooling, the compress is removed.
Thus, cough at night is a symptom of many diseases, do not immediately begin to stuff the child with different medicinal chemical preparations, if he has an allergy and you start giving antibiotics, the situation is only more aggravated. The main thing is to monitor the air in the room, give the child plenty of drink and provide him with peace of mind, often in children a strong cough at night can be a consequence of severe stress, nervous strains.
Why does not a dry cough go away? Causes of dry cough in children and adults
Coughing is a reflex, just like breathing itself. And his appearance indicates that there was some kind of pathogen - allergic, infectious, viral, that is, the cause of dry cough, serious or not, which causes irritation in the respiratory tract and causes the body to clear them of the - allergen, infection, virus or foreign body.
Cough itself is not a disease, it is a symptom of over 50 different diseases or allergic manifestations, from common cold to tuberculosis, oncology, bronchial asthma or heart disease. Most often, a dry cough lasts for several days, moving into productive, moist with sputum, but can sometimes be prolonged. The duration of dry cough is divided into:
- Acute - which after a few days passes into the wet or passes
- Prolonged - which lasts from 3 weeks to 3 months
- Chronic - which lasts more than 3 months.
Let's see why the dry cough does not last a long time, which diseases are the cause of dry cough.
The main causes of dry cough associated with the respiratory system
The most common causes of dry cough are inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract, which are caused by viruses and pathogenic bacteria.
In this case, a strong organism with a strong immune system cope on its own, and if the immune response the virus or infection is weakened, then antibiotics or antiviral drugs come in for ARVI and influenza.
When parainfluenza and the flu should always consult a doctor, as these are very insidious diseases, which recently become very aggressive, leading to a mass of complications. How to distinguish the flu from ARVI read in our article.
If during the acute respiratory viral infection, flu or other infectious disease, a dry cough does not last for a long time, it can be caused by:
- firstly because the immune system in a person is significantly weakened
- Secondly, that there are provoking factors that affect the duration of dry cough, they include: smoking and drinking alcohol, very dry air in the room and taking in insufficient amounts of fluids for cold or viral disease.
- thirdly, the attachment of a secondary infection or complication after a viral disease, when bacterial bronchitis, pneumonia, tracheitis, pharyngitis develops, etc.
Diseases of the pleura and lungs can also be accompanied by a dry, painful cough - pneumonia, pleurisy. Most often there is a high fever, shortness of breath, chest pain.
Atypical forms of pneumonia
It should also be borne in mind that a prolonged cough can be a consequence of mycoplasma and chlamydia, these pathogens microorganisms can cause atypical pneumonia, bronchitis, which can occur for a long time, periodically recur. To differentiate the pathogen that caused pneumonia or bronchitis, you can take a blood test using ELISA.
Pertussis, measles, false croup
Pertussis can cause dry cough in children, and in adults. Pertussis is considered to be a childhood infectious disease, although vaccinations have reduced cases of whooping cough among children, but they occur, in addition, weakened adults also sometimes recorded cases of whooping cough. With this disease, a convulsive cough is so severe that it often leads to vomiting. In this case, you should take antitussive remedies for dry cough, such as Sinekod, Libeksin, Bronholitin, and others.
In addition to pertussis, among childhood diseases characterized by a strong dry cough, measles and false groats can be identified. Measles, other than cough, is also characterized by rashes on the skin and mucous membranes (see Fig. symptoms of measles in children). With false croup, the vocal cords, larynx, trachea and bronchi are involved in the inflammation process, so it is characterized by a barking cough. This disease is more likely to affect children under 3 years old.
Tuberculosis is a formidable disease that has also been epidemic in recent years, not only among low-income as it is commonly believed, but also among the wealthy strata of the population, with the development of favorable factors for its progression. Constant nervous tension, stressful situations, lack of adequate nutrition and good rest, fascination various depleting diets, can lead to the development of tuberculosis even among businessmen and high social status.
By 20-30 years it is believed that each person is infected with a stick of Koch, but a strong immune system copes with it. It is only necessary to weaken the body and mycobacterium tuberculosis can become more active and cause pulmonary tuberculosis and extrapulmonary forms.
As for the dry cough, it can be caused by tuberculosis of the lungs, bronchi or trachea, larynx. It begins with a dry, unproductive cough, obtrusive coughing, weakness, while body temperature rarely is more than 3, -3, most often it rises to low-grade figures and only in the evening.
Tuberculosis can be the cause of dry cough in adults, as well as in children, which is especially dangerous, as tuberculosis today is not the tuberculosis that was 40 years ago. Now a large number of drug-resistant forms of this terrible disease are registered, which require a longer and expensive treatment, and in combination with other chronic illnesses in the patient or HIV infection lead to lethal outcome.
Laryngitis, pharyngitis, tracheitis
are also frequent causes of dry cough. With pharyngitis, the mucous pharynx is involved in the inflammatory process, and with laryngitis, the mucous larynx is involved. Both these diseases are both acute and chronic, cough while it is dry, barking, exhausting, intensifying at night. With frequent inhalation of dusty air, dry, cold, and also in the presence of irritating gases and vapors in the air, tracheitis can develop - both acute and chronic. There is also a painful dry cough.
Diseases of ENT organs
Against the backdrop of various diseases of the nasopharynx, such as sinusitis, sinusitis, or chronic rhinitis, allergic rhinitis, the appearance of night dry cough is due to the syndrome of postnasal swelling. When these diseases acquire a chronic course, not infrequently, the mucus that is separated from the nasal sinuses begins to flow down the back wall of the pharynx, it irritates the cough receptors in the tracheobronchial tree. This cough may seem productive and moist, since nasal mucus is released during cough, but this cough should be considered dry.
Oncological diseases of respiratory organs
Cancer of the bronchi, lungs, trachea, throat cancer, and mediastinal organs (organs located between the sternum and the spine - the heart, bronchi, aorta, etc.). If the dry cough does not persist for a long time, it worries both day and night, as soon as possible, turn to doctor, blood test, X-ray of lungs, according to indications, MRI of mediastinal organs, bronchoscopy, oncolikers. With any chronic cough it is necessary to find out the exact cause of its appearance, for today the oncological tension is getting stronger, cancer appears even in young people, and everyone knows that the timely detection of cancer increases the chances of recovery or significant prolongation of life.
Only on the basis of the examination the doctor can not establish the cause of a protracted cough - this is not possible, therefore it is necessary to pass the tests and pass several examinations according to the indications - blood test, sputum, spirography, spirometry, X-ray, bronchoscopy, bodipletizmography, tussography, MRI, CT.
Causes of dry cough, not associated with inflammatory processes of the respiratory system
In recent decades, the number of people suffering from various allergic reactions has increased significantly among the Russian population, especially in children. Almost all children today have any allergic reactions, if not food allergy, so allergy to dust, wool, pollen, ticks, etc. Pollinosis - a seasonal allergy to the pollen of flowering plants, which appears in spring and summer, has a hay fever very a large number of people, it is manifested by sneezing, runny nose, tearing, itching mucous and dry allergic cough.
a very common disease, characterized by a chronic, painful dry cough and attacks of suffocation. This disease can not be considered only a disease of the bronchi, it is a serious pathology, which is associated with a general violation of immunity, nervous system and allergy.
The impact of toxic substances in everyday life
household chemicals containing chlorine, washing powders, etc., the presence of cities in the air, megacities of the abundance of exhaust gases, leads to the emergence of an allergic dry cough. Also pay attention to when you started a dry cough, it may be somehow connected with the purchase of new furniture, new repairs, purchase of household appliances. Modern industry, especially the production of plastic, furniture, building materials, even children's toys, often uses abundance toxic chemicals that can irritate mucous nasopharynx, bronchi, causing chronic chemical poisoning. If there are a lot of such products in the room, they are new and exude a smell - this can be the cause of a dry cough.
Occasionally, cases of ascariasis are recorded, during which, during the migration of the ascarid larvae along a small circle of circulation, they linger in the lung tissue, causing a superficial dry cough. Getting into the lungs, the trachea and the bronchi, they cause irritation of the cough receptors, the migration phase with ascariasis is 8-14 days (see Fig. ascarids-symptoms and treatment).
Professional dry cough
The reason for its appearance may be related to work in harmful production, where in the air a mass of suspensions of toxic substances that cause dry cough in the workers is formed. Workers of the stone-working and coal-mining industry often develop silicosis of the lungs. Also among occupational diseases that cause dry cough is the disease of American farmers or fibrosing alveolitis, where dry cough is only a debut of pathology, the outcome of which is a severe respiratory failure.
Some diseases of the gastrointestinal tractSome diseases of the gastrointestinal tract provoke a dry reflex cough without temperature, it happens after eating with diverticula of the esophagus, esophagus-tracheal fistula, reflux-esophagitis.
Acceptance of certain medicines
as a rule, ACE inhibitors, which are used to lower blood pressure and treat other cardiovascular diseases. In 20% of patients, these medicines cause a dry cough, if after discontinuation of the drug it disappears, therefore, this cough was a side effect of the drug taken.
Cardiovascular diseases, heart failure may also be the cause of dry cough
The cause of allergies, a provoker of allergic reactions can be established with the help of tests, which will be directed by an allergist. It is worth taking seriously any manifestations of allergy, as it is not just a dry cough, runny nose or a rash, with a strong an allergic reaction can occur anaphylactic shock, Quincke's edema, which without timely medical care can be deadly.