Diacarb refers to drugs from the group of diuretics.
Helps reduce the concentration of potassium and sodium ions in the blood plasma, which leads to their excretion by the kidneys. Due to changes in osmotic pressure, fluid loss in the urine increases, which helps to reduce swelling.
On this page you will find all information about Diacarb: the full instructions for use on this medication medium, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogs of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already applied Diakarb. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Diuretic. Inhibitor of carbonic anhydrase.
Conditions of leave from pharmacies
It is released on prescription.
How much does Diakarb cost? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of250 rubles..
Form of issue and composition
The preparation diacarb is available in the form of tablets for oral use. Tablets are white, round, convex on both sides.
- The drug contains acetazolamide as an active ingredient.
- Additional components: potato starch, sodium starch glycolate, talc.
The preparation is produced in blisters of 10 pieces for 3 blisters in a cardboard bundle with the attached detailed description.
A diuretic drug whose therapeutic effect is associated with the removal of certain metal ions necessary for processes of fluid retention in the body, as a result of which the removal of potassium, sodium and bicarbonates. In addition, taking the drug leads to an increase in the acid-base balance of urine and a decrease in the amount of removed ammonia.
Absorption of Diacarbum occurs quickly enough. The dose of medicine necessary to achieve a therapeutic effect continues to be maintained in the body for 6-12 hours. Removal of the medicine occurs in an unchanged form with the help of kidneys.
Indications for use
What is Diakarb used for? As stated above, the main therapeutic use of the drug was in the therapy of intracranial pressure and swelling. Also, indications for the use of Diacarb include diseases and conditions:
- An attack of glaucoma (primary and secondary, and also with an acute attack);
- In the presence of the so-called "mountain" disease in acute form;
- Edema syndrome (mild to moderate in combination with alkalosis);
- Epilepsy (as part of combination therapy).
In addition, Diakarb is used for intracranial hypertension in complex treatment.
Do not use Diacarb for the following disorders in the work of organs or pathology:
- Addison's disease;
- Diabetes mellitus;
- Hepatic insufficiency;
- Cirrhosis of the liver, chronic alcoholism;
- Renal insufficiency of acute form;
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance or components;
Caution should be given to patients with edemas of liver and renal etiology.
Application in pregnancy and lactation
This drug should not be taken during pregnancy. If you need to take the drug during lactation, breastfeeding should be discontinued.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Diacarb is prescribed by instructions to adults in the following doses:
- With epilepsy appoint 250-500 mg per day once for 3 days, and on the fourth day they take a break;
- In acute attacks of glaucoma, the drug is prescribed 250 mg 6 times a day at regular intervals;
- With open-angle glaucoma appoint 250 mg 1-4 times a day. It should be taken into account that increasing the dose more than 1 g does not increase the therapeutic effect;
- With secondary glaucoma, the drug is given in the same dose, only every 4 hours. Sometimes the therapeutic effect is manifested after a short-time intake of the drug 250 mg twice a day;
- When mountain sickness is prescribed an increased dose of 500-1000 mg per day; and in cases of rapid ascent - 1000 mg per day, dividing in equal doses into several receptions. The drug should be used before the ascent, for 24-48 hours. If the symptoms of the disease are manifested, you need to continue treatment for the next two days or, if necessary, more;
- With edematic syndrome - in the morning, once a day at a dose of 250-375 mg. The best effect is achieved with the following scheme: taking a day or two days in a row with a one-day break. When using Diacarb therapy for circulatory failure, including cardiac glycosides and compliance with low-fat diets, it should not be discarded.
If you miss a dose of Diacarb, do not increase the dose at the next appointment.
Children with epilepsy according to the instructions Diacarb is prescribed in the following doses:
- From 4 to 12 months - 50 mg per day, divided into two doses;
- From 2 to 3 years - 50-125 mg per day, also dividing the dose into two doses;
- From 4 to 18 years - 125-250 mg per day once, better in the morning.
If other anticonvulsants are used simultaneously with Diacarb, then at the beginning of the treatment, only one tablet, and if necessary, the dose can be gradually increased, but not to use more than 750 mg in day.
For children with glaucoma attacks, the daily dose is calculated - 10-15 mg per kg of body weight, and divided into 3-4 doses in equal parts.
Diakarb and asparkam: reception scheme
Often children under one year are prescribed Diakarb and Asparka as part of complex therapy in the treatment of increased intracranial pressure and hydrocephalus. Aspartes are added to Diakarb to compensate for the potassium deficiency that is inevitably caused by the diuretic, since it intensively removes it from the body due to the peculiarities of its mechanism of action.
The exact dosage is calculated by the neurologist individually depending on the age and condition. If there are average dosages, infants Diakarb and Asparks are prescribed according to the following schemes:
- Take 1/4 tablets Asparkam and 1/4 tablets Diakarba once a day every 3 days;
- Take 1/4 tablets Asparkam and 1/4 tablets Diakarba once a day in the mode two in two. That is, two days the child is given drugs, two days break, etc.
Children 1 - 3 years give 1/2 Diakarba tablets and 1/2 Asparkam tablets once a day according to the scheme 2 - 1, that is, within two days the baby takes medications, then one day - a break, etc. .
On the part of the urinary system, Diacarb can cause nephrolithiasis and frequent urination.
The drug may cause the following side effects on the part of the digestive system:
- Fulminant liver necrosis;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Disturbance of taste;
- Decreased appetite.
Application Diacarbum can cause the following side effects from the central nervous system:
- Increased fatigue;
- Impaired touch;
- Noise in the ears or hearing loss;
- Against the background of liver failure - hepatic encephalopathy;
- Flaccid paralysis.
Diacarb in some cases causes the following adverse reactions from the hematopoietic system:
- Aplastic anemia;
- Hemorrhagic diathesis;
- Insufficiency of bone marrow hematopoiesis.
No cases of an overdose with Diacarb have been reported, however, when a large dose is administered to a patient, the manifestation of the side effects described above is more pronounced. In addition, severe oppression of the liver, kidneys and the work of the nervous system.
With the development of such manifestations, the patient is undergoing hemodialysis and symptomatic treatment.
- When the drug is prescribed for more than 5 consecutive days, the risk of developing metabolic acidosis increases.
- With long-term use of the drug should monitor the picture of peripheral blood, indicators of water-electrolyte and acid-base balance.
- Diacarb, especially in high doses, can cause drowsiness, fatigue, dizziness and disorientation, so during treatment patients should not drive vehicles and work with mechanisms that require increased concentration and speed of psychomotor reactions.
- Increases the excretion of lithium.
- Acetazolamide increases the content of phenytoin in the blood serum.
- Acetazolamide enhances manifestations of osteomalacia caused by the use of antiepileptic drugs.
- The simultaneous use of acetazolamide and amphetamine, atropine or quinidine can enhance their side effects.
- Potentiation of the diuretic effect occurs when combined with methylxanthines (aminophylline).
- Acetazolamide increases the effect of ephedrine.
- Acetazolamide can enhance the action of antagonists of folic acid, hypoglycemic agents and oral anticoagulants.
When combined with cardiac glycosides or drugs that increase blood pressure, the dose of acetazolamide should be adjusted.
- Increases the concentration in the blood plasma of carbamazepine, nondepolarizing muscle relaxants.
- A decrease in the diuretic effect occurs when combined with ammonium chloride and other acid-forming diuretics.
- Strengthening of the hypotensive effect against intraocular pressure is possible with simultaneous application with cholinergic drugs and beta-blockers.
- The simultaneous use of acetazolamide and acetylsalicylic acid can cause metabolic acidosis and enhance toxic effects on the CNS.
We picked up some of the people's comments about Diakarb:
- Christina. Periodically, the eye pain, feeling as if pushing the eye from the inside outwards was disturbing. I tried many medicines, and did not even know what this pain is connected with. Has passed medical examination, MRT and other, have written out the given preparation with a number of others within a month. The course is designed for five years, every six months to drink the drug. The pain immediately went away after a month, besides it relieves the pain of recurrent pain within 20-30 minutes. Pain after the course was not disturbed for a year. A year later, they made a little impression of themselves, again drank a month's course and anxiety went away. In general, an excellent tool, the only one that helped me.
- Julia. For more than 10 years I suffer from epilepsy. Once, when visiting a neurologist, he prescribed Diakarb to me. After reading the instructions for use, to say that it was in shock, it's nothing to say. After the first pill, the action begins in about 30 minutes, so you can not get out of the house. Also, it dehydrates the body and displays potassium and it is recommended to take it with an asparagus, the doctor did not warn me about it. At me on the second day there were headaches, delicacy and drowsiness, that too was not pleased. Therefore, after 5 days decided to stop using, because instead of improving some side effects.
- Nelya. After the operation to remove the tumor of the brain, diacarb was discharged. Saw on a tablet 3 times a week in pair with asparkamom. I drank before going to bed and in the morning, tingling began in the fingers, a feeling of numbness in my lips, and drowsiness. I was very frightened, but having read the instructions and the side diacarb calmed down, I will take the drug further. Apparently all these symptoms are natural when taking diacarb. Thank you.
Analogues Diakarba at the moment virtually absent. In some pharmacies you can find only a remedy called Acetazolamide. In fact, this is another name for the same medicine. Other analogs of the drug are not known.
Before using analogues, consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The shelf life of the drug is indicated on the package and is not more than 5 years, provided that the storage rules are observed. The optimum temperature for storing the medicine is 25 degrees. Keep out of the reach of children.
How to choose probiotics for the intestine: a list of drugs.
Effective and inexpensive cough syrups for children and adults.
Modern non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Review of tablets from the increased pressure of the new generation.
Antiviral drugs are inexpensive and effective.