How to treat otitis in children without antibiotics?
Often parents are worried about whether it is possible to treat otitis in children without antibiotics. Otitis is an inflammation of the ear. Many children know firsthand about this disease. Often parents can not immediately identify this disease, which complicates the subsequent treatment.
What is otitis media?
Otitis is an inflammatory process in the ear. As the ear itself is divided into three divisions, and the otitis can be external, middle and inner. Middle otitis media is common. The most difficult is internal otitis media. The average otitis can be purulent and catarrhal. The disease can not appear due to a viral infection or due to a fungus. The causative agents of the disease are staphylococci and streptococci.
Do you need antibiotics for otitis: the opinion of Israeli doctorsThe world scientific community is of the opinion that antibiotics should not be prescribed immediately. You should observe the child for several days.
Israeli doctors believe that the reddened ear without accumulation of fluid in it is not otitis and should be prescribed only painkillers. Even with obvious otitis, only a small percentage of children need antibiotics. Indication can be a rise in temperature to 39 ° C, purulent discharge, rupture of the tympanic membrane, bilateral otitis in children younger than 2 years. And if the otitis is accompanied by strong pain.
Otherwise, Israeli doctors recommend observing the child for 3-4 days, and, as they say, with mild illness the disease can pass by itself. The only thing is to take painkillers. This is what concerns Israeli medicine, but what do our doctors think?
How to cure otitis without antibiotics in children
It can often be that there is no way to get to see a doctor with a sick kid because of constant queues. I have to call the doctor on the house and wait for him to come. While the doctor did not come, I want to help the child, but I should not give him medication alone.
Self-medication, especially with otitis media, can lead to unpleasant consequences. Traditional medicine is also often unable to completely eliminate the problem.Therefore, before the doctor comes, you can only alleviate the condition of the child. If he has a fever and the temperature has risen to a mark of 39 ° C, then it is worthwhile to knock it down. Give antipyretics. It can be children's paracetamol or ibuprofen, which also have an analgesic effect. It is advisable to put a rectal candle in a nursing baby, as they can often spit up due to intoxication.
If the child does not have a temperature, then you can apply "dry heat" to the place of the ear. If the temperature is raised, this can not be done. Try to make it easier for a child to breathe: you should suck off the mucus from his nose with a pear or other means.
Arriving at the house, the doctor must examine the baby. Often the treatment is carried out according to the standard scheme: antibiotic, antipyretic drugs and painkillers.
Drugs, especially antibiotics, are written out from the age of the child, concomitant diseases and the course of the underlying disease. But with a disease like otitis, many doctors are slow to prescribe antibiotics. Sometimes they are ineffective, for example, penicillin can not cope with bacteria in such a disease.
Therefore, antibiotics are not prescribed by the attending physician in the following cases:
- Children older than two years.
- Only one ear is inflamed.
- If the inflammation has arisen in the middle ear, as it is necessary to clarify the diagnosis.
But in acute otitis media, if the child's condition worsens, antibiotics should be started.
Treatment without antibiotics
It should be noted that acute inflammation of the ear without antibiotic is difficult to cure, complications can arise. This drug kills germs and prevents them from spreading to nearby organs. But if you decide to treat otitis without these drugs, then this can be done with chronic otitis media and in older children. The chronic form of otitis can be treated with drops, suppositories, compresses, warming.
Tips for treating otitis mediaIt is worth repeating once again that the parents have understood once and for all that acute otitis with inflammatory manifestations, fever and general intoxication of the body is treated only with antibiotics.
If the disease has passed into a chronic form and proceeds without pronounced symptoms, then it can be treated without the use of antibacterial drugs.
But that the disease does not go into a purulent stage, it is necessary to conduct treatment with pharmacological drugs under the supervision of a doctor, and traditional medicine should be conducted as an auxiliary therapy.
From drugstores use drops for instillation in ears. Take those that the doctor will write to you. Often for such drops there are age limits and not all children they fit. If the child does not have purulent discharge from the ear, then you can do a warming compress. It is necessary to take waxed paper and cloth, cut around, so that there is an opening for the auricle.After this, you should grease around the ear with a baby cream, dab the cloth in a warm alcohol solution, which is diluted 1: 1 with water, and attach to the ear, so that the sink is not closed, then put paper on top, and on paper cotton wool, fixing it all with a bandage. Such a compress should be kept on the ear for 1-2 hours.
You can also warm up the ear area with warm salt or sand, for this you should pour them into bags. After you have removed the pain by warming up, be sure to tie the baby's head with a handkerchief. During the day, you should give your child more sweating and vitaminized liquid: tea with raspberries, dogrose, herbal medicinal herbs.
It will be useful for treatment without antibiotics herbal medicine: decoctions of herbs and lotions from them. But it's worth knowing that the child does not have any allergies to any grass. In the treatment without antibiotic therapy, care of the sick child is very important.
Should, in addition to general procedures, gargle with herbal decoctions, for example, chamomile, and also with caution to clear the auditory passage from the ear extracts.
During this period, bed rest should be observed.
A little bit about antibiotics
Antibiotics of different groups are appointed: there is a penicillin and cephalosporin group. They are used in the form of tablets, syrups or injections. If they do not help, the doctor will prescribe stronger drugs. Do not give antibiotics to the baby randomly, otherwise the bacteria will develop resistance to the drug and will have to take even more dosage.
Sometimes, antibiotics can develop side effects: diarrhea, rash, allergic reaction. An effective method of treatment is the use of antibiotics in parallel with the ear drops.
Thus, we can draw some conclusions. If the child is less than two years old, antibiotic treatment is necessary. If the disease is severe, then a course of antibacterial drugs is also needed. In other cases, you can observe the child for 72 hours. If improvements are not observed and the disease progresses, then start taking antibiotics, but only under the guidance of a doctor.
How to cure otitis without antibiotics
Subcooling, as well as penetration into the middle ear of pathogens, can cause inflammation, or otitis. The correct sign of it is a sharp penetrating pain in the ear, itching, hearing loss, and discharge from the ear canal. The traditional method of treatment of acute otitis is antibacterial therapy. It helps to avoid the spread of the inflammatory process to nearby organs. However, the chronic form of the disease can be cured without antibiotics.
You will need
- - Pharmaceutical drops for the ears;
- - chamomile, elder, root of ara, bark of oak, grass of camel thorn;
- - alcohol, fabric, cotton wool, bandage for compress;
- - large salt or sand and canvas bag for warming up the ear;
- - wadding sticks and phyto-candles for ear cleaning.
- Do not treat yourself alone with acute otitis, accompanied by fever, chills, malaise and sharp pain in the ear. This is dangerous for health, and sometimes for life, because the spread of the inflammatory process to the eyes or brain can cause irreversible effects. In this case, only medicinal treatment with antibiotics is shown.
- If the inflammation of the middle ear has passed into a chronic form or proceeds with a mild symptomatology, try to cure otitis without antibiotics. But that the inflammatory process does not pass into purulent flow, use pharmacological drugs and only in addition to them, to accelerate recovery - the means of traditional medicine.
- From pharmacy drugs for the treatment of otitis use "Vibrocil" externally for 3-4 drops in the ear canal 3-4 times a day, "Otinum" 3-4 drops 3-4 times a day, "Otipaks", 3-4 drops 3 times a day, "Polidex" 2-5 drops 2 times a day. Bury them only in the heated form. Since they have a number of contraindications and side effects, carefully read the instructions.
- If there is no purulent discharge from the ear, do a warming compress. Cut out a cloth and wax paper with a circle with an aperture for the auricle (during the application of the compress it should be open). Lubricate the skin around the ear with a baby cream or petroleum jelly, and moisten the tissue in a warm alcohol solution (50 ml of water 50 ml), and apply to the skin. Cover the fabric with paper, also leaving the auricle outside, attach cotton wool over the paper and fix it with a bandage. Leave for 1-2 hours. In addition to compresses, apply for heating the ear bags with red-hot salt or sand. After any warming procedure, keep your ear warm - tie your head with a woolen scarf.
- Simultaneously with thermal procedures for the treatment of otitis use as much sweats and vitaminized drinks: hot tea with honey, brewed currant leaves, raspberries or limes, broth of wild rose, chamomile.
- When treating otitis without antibiotics, you should use herbal medicine - use herbal tea herbs inside and make a lotion from them.
Wrap 2 tbsp. flowers of elderberry or chamomile in gauze, pour boiling water and after 2-3 minutes, slightly wringing out, attach close to the ear canal, but not on it. In the same way, make lotions from a mixture of herb thyme (thyme), oak bark, root of cinquefoil erect, root of aira. For internal use, throw 1 tbsp. crushed grass camel thorn in 200 ml of boiling water and for 5 minutes keep on low heat. Use in a strained form for half a glass 3 times a day.
- In the treatment of otitis without antibiotics or with them, care is important. In addition to local effects with the help of thermal procedures and drops several times a day, rinse the throat with anti-inflammatory broths, for example, chamomile and cleanse the auditory stitches with cotton buds, but do it very carefully so as not to damage the eardrum, but rather use pharmacy wax candles with propolis for this purpose.
Antibiotics for otitis in children: indications for use and therapeutic effect
If you have the first symptoms that may indicate the development of otitis in a child, you should immediately consult a doctor so that he can establish an accurate diagnosis and prescribe a treatment.
In many cases, a waiting doctor may be chosen as a doctor with respect to the appointment of an antibiotic.
Expectant tactics apply exactly to the use of antibiotic therapy, pain relievers and antipyretic drugs must be applied without fail if they are necessary. Dr. Komarovsky says that a very small percentage of otitis patients need antibiotics.
It is recommended in the following cases:
- The presence of an inflammatory process in the middle ear during examination is not established.
- The child is over 2 years old.
- There is no acute pain in the ear canal and high fever.
- Absence of other symptoms.
Antibiotics for otitis in children (penicillins, cephalosporins, macrolides), like other drugs, depending on the composition and method of use, have several forms of release, less often only one.
- Balms and ointments are topical agents for treating the disease.
- Drops, which may include components that have analgesic and antibacterial action, and also relieve inflammation.
- The tablet form is assigned to older children.
- Suspensions. This form of preparation can be applied topically, as an ointment, and also directly inside.
When acquiring a medicine, be sure to carefully read the instructions, specify for what age this form of the drug is suitable, as well as indications and contraindications for use. It is not superfluous to go to the medical forums and read reviews about the chosen medicine.
The scheme of treatment of diseases of the ear is prescribed individually, depending on the age of the child and the stage of the disease. The doctor tries to do without antibiotics, and if possible, carry out treatment, applying ointments, balms and compresses with a warming effect.
In serious cases, the ENT after the examination prescribes medicines that are divided into 3 groups according to the nature of their impact:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs that can effectively remove redness and swelling of the affected tissue.
- Anesthetic substances relieve pain and are prescribed only with severe discomfort.
- Antibacterial drugs, remove the very cause of the disease.
What exactly means will be rationally applied in each specific case, the doctor will decide.
When you are engaged in self-treatment with folk remedies, it is very dangerous. Procedures with warming are better to hold after consultation with ENT.
In the event that the treatment of acute otitis does not improve and such symptoms as severe pain, deterioration of hearing, hearing loss and the toxic burden, expressed in the pallor of the covers, do not go away, the use of antibiotics is justified. Usually acute otitis media, if it is not complicated, takes 2-5 days. In the case of the development of the inflammatory process in the ear with the outflow of pus, the appointment of antibiotic therapy is mandatory.
If possible, take an analysis of the sensitivity of the infection to different antibiotics or drugs that have a fairly common spectrum of effects. Also, the antibiotic is prescribed necessarily by the otolaryngologist to patients with low immune defense, since they are very likely to develop complications.
There are cases when antibiotics are indicated for otitis in children without delay and the tactic of waiting and monitoring the patient's condition is not justified:
- the patient's age is less than 2 years, because of the danger of complications;
- marked intoxication of the body;
- high temperature, more than 38-39 degrees, and also its duration is more than 3 days;
- increasing pain symptoms.
Prescribe antibiotics for otitis in children alone can not, because when you choose from a huge number of drugs on the market, you need to consider a lot of nuances. The success of treatment depends on the regimen and the correct dosage of the medicine.
In the instructions for each drug clearly prescribed contraindications and side effects. There are several criteria for which an appointment is not desirable:
- Pregnancy, especially in the first trimester, since the fetus is very sensitive at this time to chemical compounds.
- Breastfeeding is not a contraindication, but it is recommended to take a break while taking an antibiotic.
- Renal and hepatic insufficiency is a complete or partial contraindication to the administration of antibiotics. Because these organs are responsible for processing and removing the medicine from the body.
- The use of alcohol is not compatible with antibiotic therapy.
At the use of antibiotics it is possible: diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, dizziness and headache. If you observe one or more of the above symptoms, be sure to tell your doctor about it.
Suprax at otitis and its therapeutic effect on the diseaseSupraks (cefixime) is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. It is possible to apply to patients from 6 months in suspension, and from 12 years in capsules, if the body weight is more than 50 kg. The drug works well for otitis media in children, bronchitis, sinusitis, pharyngitis, tonsillitis and urinary tract infections.
Suprax in otitis has a good bioavailability, which is not dependent on food intake, it is able to create good concentrations in the blood and foci of inflammation, which allows you to shorten the period of purulent-inflammatory processes, and does not allow the transition of disease to a chronic form. Otitis in adults often has an infectious nature, so together with anti-inflammatory and analgesic agents, as well as heating and washing with antiseptics, doctors prescribe an antibiotic. For example, Suprax in otitis can effectively cope with the disease.
It is best to appoint it after taking the exudate for analysis. But if this is not possible, antibiotics of a broad spectrum of action are prescribed that are effective against both gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms:
- Levomycetin - 2 drops with purulent otitis.
- Ceftriaxone - once daily.
- Ampicillin is intramuscular.
- Augmentin - 3 times in 375 ml.
If the patient's condition is severe, it is possible to prescribe several drugs at once, either orally, or as intramuscular injections. This significantly reduces the risk of complications. In a situation where chronic otitis is diagnosed, as well as during its exacerbation, accompanied by purulent discharge at the site of localization inflammatory process, the following antibiotics are prescribed: Spiramycin, Ampicillin, Ciprofloxacin, Phenoxymethylpenicillin or Azithromycin.
In the event that high fever rises, deterioration of auditory perception occurs, painful sensations appear in ear, general weakness and blanching of the skin, it is possible to administer injections of such drugs as Nethylmycin and Cefazolin. as well as ear drops in the form of a solution of Chloramfinekol.
Otitis externa occurs in two forms:
- limited, if the infection occurs in the hair follicles and sebaceous glands of the external auditory canal, which can contribute to injuries and cuts;
- diffuse form, when the inflammation spreads to the parotid tissue.
In uncomplicated disease, the treatment is performed by introducing gauze turundas moistened with alcohol, warming compresses and physiotherapy procedures into the external auditory canal. When the disease is unfavorable, antibiotics are shown in the form of ear drops, such as Ofloxacin and Neomycin.
Augmentin in children and its dosageWith inflammation of the middle ear, the doctor can prescribe an antibiotic with a broad spectrum of action, Augmentin, the active substance in which amoxicillin.
The course of admission he has more than a week, it is during this time that he will be able to cope with all the pathogens of the disease, and she will not be able to move into a chronic form, since a slightly untreated disease can break out with renewed vigor.
Children's Augmentin is in two forms of release: in tablets and suspensions, which will have to be prepared independently and stored in the refrigerator. The dosage of this antibiotic should be prescribed by a doctor, depending on the severity of the disease and its localization.
Usually it is as follows:
- From birth to 3 months, for each kilogram prescribe a dose of 25-50 / 5 mg 2 times a day.
- From 3 months to 12 years 25-50 / 5 mg 3-4 times a day.
When prescribing this antibiotic, one must take into account the presence of kidney and liver diseases. In this case, the dosage can be changed, since these organs are responsible for processing and removing the medicine from the body.
Augmentin in otitis in a child is often prescribed by doctors for oral administration, as its effectiveness is proven in practice. If after a few days of taking the temperature does not pass, it is worth consulting with the doctor about the appointment of another drug.
In the treatment of otitis in children, the doctor can prescribe the following popular antibiotics:
- Amoxicillin. A broad-spectrum antimicrobial drug that is effective even against severe bacterial infections. It can be in the form of capsules, suspensions and tablets. Children under 10 years are prescribed a suspension.
- Clarithromycin is one of the safest and most effective representatives of penicillins. This is a macrolide that manifests itself in suppressing the synthesis of protein microbes at the cellular level. Produced in tablet form, in the form of powder for injection and suspension for children (the dosage is chosen based on the weight of the child and the stage of the disease).
- Roxithromycin. Also belongs to the group of macrolides, it shows its activity against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, contraindications to the use are practically excluded.
- Ceftriaxone. It is very rarely prescribed for the treatment of otitis, in case of application, injections are used in stationary conditions.
- Sofradex is a highly effective drug for the treatment of chronic and acute otitis media. The form of production is a drop of water. Relieves pain, itching and burning sensation in patients, as well as inflammatory processes and allergic manifestations.
At a high temperature, Acetylsalicylic acid, Nurofen, Panadol and other antipyretic agents are sometimes prescribed.
Antibiotic for otitis in children
Each parent, when his child is sick, thinks, first of all, about what preparations to cure the crumb and what treatment to choose. Otitis, as a very common childhood disease, which is often a complication after a previous viral ARI, also needs a proper choice of medications. Therefore, the topic of choosing antibiotics for otitis in children is very important, and only if we take into account the whole complex of symptoms and the nature of the disease, we can talk about the advisability of their appointment.
Antibiotics for otitis treatment
The need for treatment of otitis in children with antibiotics is determined, first of all, by the severity of the disease, which happens in the following forms:
According to many experts, a mild and moderate form can pass through the child itself, without the help of antibiotics. However, in the case of a favorable state of affairs, this should happen within two days, no more. It is during this time it becomes clear whether the body can overcome the infection without antibiotic therapy, limiting itself to only taking anti-pain medications. If the temperature and pain persist during this two-day period, the question of what antibiotics to drink when taking otitis is extremely important.
Do not wait two days and if the child is less than two years old, or intoxication is strong enough, and the temperature reaches 39 degrees. Then the doctor immediately appoints the right drug, which most often becomes one of the following:
Antibiotic in otitis appoints only a doctor
It is important to understand that only a doctor who monitors the conditionthe child, can tell or say, what antibiotics to treat an otitis. He will select the right drug, capable not only to "drive" bacteria out of the child's body, but also not to damage the immunity. Therefore, only with a medical consultation, a mother can start treatment for her baby.
Thus, a seemingly only positive answer to the question of whether antibiotics are needed in otitis media, still needs to be specified, advice and recommendations of a pediatrician who will prescribe the only correct treatment for each specific case. In addition, parents who fear antibacterial therapy and consider it harmful, do not forget that today medicine is not worth it on site, and the child's antibiotic in otitis is aimed primarily at helping, eliminating the symptoms of the disease, and not harming the baby.