Lavakol is a contact laxative with a broad spectrum of action.
It is used in surgery to prepare the gastrointestinal tract for diagnosis and before surgery. It cleanses the intestines and promotes rapid weight loss. The component that is part of Lavakol is Macrogol.
The structure of the chemical structure includes ethylene oxide. The drug creates hydrogen bonds with water molecules. Such an interaction softens the stool and facilitates the process of defecation.
Clinical and pharmacological group
The agent has a laxative effect on the body.
Conditions of leave from pharmacies
It is released on prescription.
How much does Lavakol cost? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of190 rubles..
Form of issue and composition
The preparation is produced in the form of a powder, which has a white color or a whitish-yellow hue. Lavakol placed in a film bag. Each weighs 14 grams.
1 sachet contains:
- active substance: macrogol (polyethylene glycol MM 4000) - 12 g;
- auxiliary components: sodium sulfate anhydrous, sodium hydrogencarbonate, potassium chloride, sodium chloride.
The box contains 15 packets of medication.
Lavakol - a powerful laxative drug, a combination of which is designed to completely remove the contents of the intestine and restore water-electrolyte metabolism, caused by frequent stools.
Laxative effect provides the active substance - macrogol. The mechanism of its action is due to the attraction and retention of water, as a result of which it swells and grows in size. This contributes to a significant increase in the volume of intestinal contents and stimulation of peristalsis, ensuring rapid movement of fecal masses and their evacuation to the outside. The therapeutic effect occurs exclusively in the lumen of the intestine, so the absorption of the drug into the systemic bloodstream does not occur, it is excreted from the body in an unchanged form. It should be noted that the drug does not cause dehydration, because for swelling macrogol uses a liquid that was administered when it was taken, not sucking water from the stomach and intestines. Therefore, to ensure the mechanism of action requires strict adherence to recommendations for the use of Lavakola in terms of dissolving the powder in a certain amount of water.
When compared with other methods and means of compulsory bowel cleansing, the advantage of Lavakol is the simultaneous osmotic laxative effect, which causes complete cleansing of all parts of the intestine from food and stool, and replenishment of loss of fluid and salts caused by a frequent chair.
Indications for use
The drug Lavakol in most cases prescribed to patients before the diagnostic, therapeutic and surgical manipulations on the large intestine.
Lavakol is contraindicated for use in the presence of the following conditions or diseases:
- Impaired renal function;
- Severe dehydration in humans;
- Abdominal pain of unknown origin;
- Children under the age of 15;
- Intestinal obstruction (complete or partial);
- Toxic expansion of the large intestine (megacolon);
- Stenosis of the stomach (narrowing of the lumen of the stomach);
- Perforation of the wall of the stomach or intestine;
- Malignant neoplasm of large intestine;
- Severe general condition, for example, against a background of heart failure, etc .;
- Individual hypersensitivity or allergic reaction to polyethylene glycol (macrogol);
- Erosive-ulcerative lesions of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract (ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer in the stage of exacerbation).
Use in pregnancy and lactation
When prescribing Lavakol, pregnant women should be careful because there is insufficient data on the use of the drug in this category of patients.
Dosage and route of administration
In the instructions for use indicated: ready-made solution Lavakol taken inside, in small sips, on an empty stomach (not earlier than 2 hours after eating). Before taking the contents of 1 sachet, it should be dissolved in 200 ml of water.
- Constipation in adults: 200 ml of solution once. Defecation usually occurs 3-5 hours later. In the absence of a laxative effect, after 7 hours from the time of taking the drug, an additional 200 ml of solution should be taken.
- Complete cleansing of the intestine: 200 ml of the solution is taken at an interval of 20 minutes, the total volume is 3000 ml of the solution. Approximately 2 hours after taking the first dose of the drug, a fecal matter is released. After each defecation, the next 200 ml of solution must be taken. After taking the last single dose, bowel cleansing can continue for another 2-3 hours. Begin the use of the solution should be on the eve of a diagnostic study or a surgical operation in the period from 14 to 19 hours.
For complete bowel cleansing in preparation for diagnostic tests or surgery, the solution should be started 18-20 hours before the procedure begins. The dose of the drug is prescribed by the doctor taking into account the weight of the patient, usually 1 packet per 4 kg.
Side effects are rare, but still they are present:
- heaviness in the abdomen;
These symptoms go away by themselves, but if you are concerned often and constantly need to consult your doctor. They arise when the first application of Lavakola, when there is a preparation for X-ray studies.
Overdose may cause severe diarrhea. In this case, it is necessary to cancel the reception of the remedy, then after 1-2 days diarrhea disappears on its own.
This drug is not intended for regular use as a laxative in patients with chronic constipation.
Patients with suspected any oncological processes in the intestine to use the drug before the diagnosis is not recommended.
This remedy is not assigned to persons under 12 years of age due to a lack of clinical experience in pediatric practice.
With simultaneous reception of Lavakol with any other drugs, the process of their absorption slows down.
With simultaneous treatment with other drugs, any medications should be taken no less than 2 hours before taking Lavakola.
We picked up some reviews of people taking the drug Lavakol:
- Alexey. Used in preparation for the study. Everything went smoothly. The urge to go to the toilet started 2 hours after the beginning of the reception. The only thing, the doctor has told or said, that 15 bags (contents of one pack) are not enough, it was necessary to drink 20.
- Inna. Also faced with the need to cleanse the intestines, but t. I already had problems with the regularity of the chair, I did not want the product to somehow negatively influence my own flora. Well, in the light of the crisis, I did not want expensive. Long read reviews, compared and stopped at Lavakola, he in my opinion more advantages. I did not regret a drop that I chose it, even to my taste it seemed to me neutral, and that it was designed The Institute of Coloproctology is also credible, always cleansing is gentle and without discomfort sensations. I noticed that I became less likely to get sick, because the truth is that immunity from the intestines goes.
- Valya. Lavakol took as prescribed by the doctor before the colonoscopy. To be honest, when the doctor appointed, I thought that it was prohibitively expensive, but it turned out that no. I took 1 glass for 4 hours, as a result, drank all 15 bags. I liked that his taste is normal, not so nasty as with many foreign drugs, which also cost odgo. Completely me he arranged.
Analogues means "Lavakol" are drugs that have a similar effect on the human body.
- "Magnesium sulfate
- Real Madrid;
- "Fortez Rompharm".
Before using analogues, consult your doctor.
Lavakol or Fortrans - which is better?
Those wishing to clean the intestines are often asked the choice of the drug: domestic Lavakol or French Fortran? Given the relatively equal effectiveness of the first and second, Lavakol in this duel confidently wins by:
- The best taste qualities - the light salinity of Lavakola is more pleasant to people than the sweet-soda taste of Fortrans; accordingly, to drink three liters of solution, using the first drug, is much easier.
- The lower cost - its price is three times lower than the price of Fortrans.
Both drugs belong to the category of osmotic drugs and under the condition of one-time use practically do not disturb the balance of the intestinal microflora. But in case of abuse of osmotic laxatives, the leaching of useful microorganisms from the intestine is possible.
Storage conditions and shelf life
To store "Lavakola" suitable dry, well-ventilated place. In this case, the air temperature should not exceed 25 ° C.
Shelf life is 3 years.
How to choose probiotics for the intestine: a list of drugs.
Effective and inexpensive cough syrups for children and adults.
Modern non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Review of tablets from the increased pressure of the new generation.
Antiviral drugs are inexpensive and effective.