Sulfur Ointment is a well-known and widely used medication in pharmacology. It is a universal drug that not only removes inflammation, but also heals, disinfects and treats the skin.
The use of sulfuric ointment is an affordable, safe and effective way of getting rid of a variety of dermatological diseases. Paradoxically, a few of our compatriots know how to properly use this effective tool in this or that problem.
This current issue will be devoted to today's article.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Disinfectant, antiparasitic, antiseptic, antimicrobial.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy without a doctor's prescription.
How much does sulfuric ointment in pharmacies cost? The average price is at the level of40 rubles.
Composition and form of release
Pharmaceutical form of the drug - ointment for external use: yellow, somewhat loose structure (in glass banks of 15, 25, 30, 40, 50, 70 g or in aluminum tubes of 25, 30, 40, 50 g, in a cardboard bundle of 1 can / tube).
Composition 100 mg of ointment:
- active substance: sulfur - 33.33 mg;
- additional components: Vaseline - 40 mg; emulsifier T2 - 6.67 mg; purified water - 20 mg.
Sulfur, which is part of the ointment, has an antiseptic effect. When it comes into contact with organic compounds, sulphides and pationic acid are formed, which are fatal affect various types of microorganisms, including skin parasites, such as scabies and demodex.
After applying the Sulfur simple ointment to the skin, its main active ingredient is not absorbed into the systemic bloodstream.
Indications for use
What helps? The drug is prescribed for a variety of skin diseases. Serous ointment is prescribed in the complex treatment of the following conditions:
- acne or acne.
Despite the variety of skin diseases, a sulfur-based drug can effectively restore skin health. At the first signs of the pathology, it is necessary to consult a doctor so that the specialist selects an individual treatment regimen that includes the application of sulfuric ointment.
Absolute contraindications to the use of this medication are:
- children under 2 years;
- pregnancy and the period of breastfeeding;
- individual intolerance of the drug components.
Intended use for pregnancy and lactation
The safety of sulfuric ointment during the period of bearing and breastfeeding has not been studied. Given this nuance, the drug is used if the desired benefit for the expectant mother exceeds the possible risk to the health and development of the fetus.
Dosage and route of administration
As indicated in the instructions for use Sulfur Ointment, a simple instruction for use allows you to use only externally, applying it 2-3 times in 24 hours on affected by one or another disease (pre-cleaned) skin areas.
- The application of sulfuric ointment from acnerequires its application in a thick layer on the problem areas of the skin. Sulfur ointment from acne is used in conjunction with diet therapy, the use of multivitamin or other medications prescribed by a dermatologist.
- Sulfur ointment from lichenalso appointed in parallel with other medicinal products. Depending on the depriving it can be a solution of iodine, alcohol, corticosteroids, antifungal external drugs and other medications.
- For the treatment of increased pigmentationapply sulfuric ointment. Use it with the concentration of the active substance to 10%. Thus, the drug exfoliates the upper layer of the dermis and pigment spots, including. For a sparing removal of pigment spots use 4-5% drug, apply it to the area prone to increased pigmentation. The agent containing sulfur is used once a day, every other day. Apply to pregnant women to remove pigmentation spots can be after consulting a doctor.
- Serum ointment with demodecticis appointed in order to get rid of demodex - microscopic tick, parasitizing on human hair follicles, usually localized on the head and eyelids. Usually a thick layer of the drug is applied to the affected skin areas in the evening and left overnight. In the process of therapy, due to severe skin peeling and parasite death, the patient should regularly change clothes and bed linen. Reviews in demodicosis suggest that the treatment of this disease is long, time-consuming and requires a comprehensive approach and integrated use of systemic and local drugs.
- In case of complex treatment of scabiesThe therapeutic scheme of application and the rules of personal hygiene for the patient are established by the doctor individually. Often, the drug is indicated to be used without washing off throughout the recommended 5-day therapy.
- With psoriasistreatment is carried out with a high concentration of sulfuric ointment - 33%. Apply to the damaged area once or twice a day. The course of treatment is determined by the doctor individually.
The duration of one treatment course is usually limited to five days with a possible repeat in a few days.
Usually sulfuric ointment patients suffer fairly well. However, with prolonged and uncontrolled use of it, adverse reactions may occur:
- redness of the skin;
The drug can leave stains on clothing and bed linens that do not wash. During therapy it is better to use things that will not be a pity to be discarded later.
Throughout the time, no unpleasant overdose was observed.
It is important to avoid getting the ointment on the visible mucous membranes. If the product gets into the eyes, they should be washed with a large volume of running water and consult a medical specialist.
There are no reliable data on the safety of the drug for pregnant and breast-feeding women, so its use is possible only after the appointment of a doctor on strict medical indications, when the expected benefit for the mother's organism significantly exceeds the potential risk for the developing fetus or infant.
The drug with proper application has no effect on the functional state of the brain, the ability of a person to concentrate and the speed of psychomotor reactions.
Interaction with other drugs
The interaction of sulfuric ointment with other drugs / substances was not revealed.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used Sulfur Ointment:
- Maksim. Has tormented a psoriasis on arms or hand. The dermatologist advised a sulfuric ointment. I rubbed the affected skin three times a day. In two weeks, my hands cleared, and there was not a trace left of the plaques. A great tool!
- Olga. I decided to try it for the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis on my face, but I regretted - the smell and look are not at all attractive. Now there are many means that are much more pleasant to use, the same metrogil is treated much more pleasantly, it has no color, no smell. And sulfuric ointment, probably, is suitable only for those cases when already nothing else helps or there are contraindications to other drugs.
- Valeria. I have been living in Crimea for 25 years, but because of psoriasis I can not fully and relaxed bathe in the sea. And all because on the body there are 2 large spots that are difficult not to replace. I am constantly looking for medicines that helped at least temporarily to get rid of this awkward problem. And sulfuric ointment in my case is one of the best means by which you can get rid of not only the unpleasant itching, but also reduce the size of the most formations. It is a pity that the effect persists for no longer than 1 month, and long-term treatment with this medication is contraindicated.
Similar in composition and therapeutic effect for a simple sulfuric ointment are preparations of sulfur, sulfur precipitated.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Shelf life for a simple sulfuric ointment is 2 years from the date of its manufacture. The preparation is important to store in the original undamaged original packaging, dark, dry, inaccessible to children at an air temperature of no higher than 25 ° C.
How to choose probiotics for the intestine: a list of drugs.
Effective and inexpensive cough syrups for children and adults.
Modern non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Review of tablets from the increased pressure of the new generation.
Antiviral drugs are inexpensive and effective.