Syrup of licorice root is a herbal remedy based on rhizomes of licorice, which has an anti-inflammatory, expectorant and immunostimulating effect.
At the heart of this drug is an extract of licorice, sugar syrup and a small percentage of ethyl alcohol. Such a composition of simple and natural components makes it possible to apply the drug even to small children.
The medicine effectively relieves of coughing attacks, dilutes sputum, strengthens immunity, eliminates inflammatory processes in the bronchopulmonary system. Also, this drug is able to fight with harmful microorganisms that cause flu, colds and other inflammatory ailments.
Often used for the treatment of bronchitis, tracheitis and pneumonia. It is also called liquorice syrup or licorice root.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Herbal preparation with expectorant action.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy without a doctor's prescription.
How much does the liquorice root syrup in pharmacies cost? The average price is at the level of40 rubles.
Composition and form of release
Produced in 100 ml vials.Composition:
- 4 ml of extract from the rhizome of naked licorice;
- 86 ml of natural sugar syrup;
- 10 ml of ethyl alcohol.
The drug is characterized by a specific taste, thanks to which the syrup is easily recognizable. Due to the presence of sugar syrup in the composition of the medicine, it is widely used in the therapy of children, as they are quite willing to take the medicine.
The expectorant works due to the glycyrrhizin component, which enhances the secretory function of the mucous membranes. In addition to glycyrrhizin, which contains 6-12% of licorice, it is rich in glycyrrhizic acid and its salts, flavonoids (liquidoritin), isoflavonoids (formononetin), derivatives of koumestan (isoglucirol), hydroxycoumarins (herniarin), steroids (stigmasterol) and essential oils.
Glycyrrhizin increases the activity of the ciliary epithelium, exhibits antiulcer and anti-inflammatory effects, reducing platelet aggregation. Due to this, the drug inhibits the enzyme dehydrogenase in the kidneys, which reduces the synthesis of cortisol to cortisone. Cortisol has a mineralocorticoid effect, which leads to a decrease in the potassium concentration and an increase in the sodium content in the blood serum. Violation of this activity leads to a reduction in edema (reduced fluid retention in the body), weight loss, normalization of pressure.
Metabolites of glycyrrhizic acid suppress the peripheral metabolism of cortisol, causing a pseudo-aldosterone-like effect. One of the components of the licorice root, liquidoritoside, shows an antispasmodic effect in relation to the smooth muscles of the respiratory organs, it removes the increased tone. In addition, the instructions indicate the following properties of the plant:
- antibacterial (kills staphylococci, mycobacteria, pathogenic infections, destroys their walls);
Indications for use
Syrup is used to treat diseases of the upper respiratory tract, accompanied by a dry and wet cough.Indications for use of the drug:
- When you cough. Syrup is effective in various forms of bronchitis, tracheitis, pneumonia, bronchopneumonia. Liquefies a thick secret, relieves the attacks of dry cough, makes it productive - moist. Removes mucous plugs when the bronchi and lungs are blocked.
- Bronchial asthma. Softens, soothes cough, relieves spasms of smooth muscles of bronchi. However, self-medication with this diagnosis is categorically contraindicated. There are cases of allergy to the drug and exacerbation of the disease.
- Bronchoectatic disease. Purulent process in the bronchi, often of a chronic nature. Occurs with tuberculosis, lung abscess. The complex treatment includes antibiotics, bronchodilators, massage, respiratory gymnastics. To dilute sputum, an extract of licorice root is prescribed.
- Bronchial sanitation. It is performed before surgical treatment of the bronchi, after operations.
The main pharmacological action is expectorant. Glycyrrhizin affects the ciliated epithelium of the bronchi, stimulates its work, removes excess sputum.
You need to carefully consider taking any medication, especially if it can have negative side effects. Syrup of licorice, contraindications which should be taken into account, is taken strictly according to the doctor's prescription.
Extract liquorice can not be used if a person is found:
- individual intolerance;
- pregnancy at any time;
- violation of cardiac activity;
- arterial hypertension;
- diabetes mellitus type 1 and 2;
- violation of the adrenal glands;
- hepatic insufficiency, cirrhosis;
- acute or chronic form of diarrhea
- acute renal insufficiency;
Intended use for pregnancy and lactation
Medicines with licorice are contraindicated at any time of bearing the child, since glycyrrhizin from the root licorice can cause accumulation of excess fluid in the body and cause swelling of the extremities. Also licorice can disrupt the hormonal background of a pregnant woman and increase blood pressure.
When breastfeeding drugs with licorice can be used only on the advice of a doctor and with extreme caution. During the lactation period, all medicines are selected individually so that the treatment does not harm the child on the HS.
Dosage and route of administration
As indicated in the instructions for use Syrup root Licorice is taken by mouth.
The recommended single dose for children (with a multiplicity of intake 3 times a day):
- children under 2 years: 1-2 drops (after preliminary dilution in 1 teaspoon of water);
- children 2-6 years: 2-10 drops (after preliminary dilution in 1 teaspoon of water);
- children 6-12 years: 50 drops (after preliminary dilution in 1/4 cup water);
- children from 12 years: 1/2 teaspoon (after preliminary dilution in 1/4 cup of water).
The recommended single dose of syrup for adults - 1 teaspoonful (after a preliminary dilution in 1/2 cup water) 3 times a day.
- Duration of use is from 7 to 10 days. The need for a longer course should be agreed with the doctor.
To facilitate expectoration in the presence of poorly separated sputum, a generous warm drink is recommended.
According to the instructions for use, the root of licorice can provoke the appearance of the following side effects:
- allergic reactions;
- decrease in the concentration of potassium ions in the blood;
- increased blood pressure;
It is strictly forbidden to use licorice syrup in combination with cardiac glycosides and antiarrhythmic drugs. This can trigger the onset of hypokalemia.
In case of a pronounced excess of the recommended therapeutic dose of Root Licorice syrup, the appearance or intensification of symptoms of adverse side reactions may occur. In this case, the drug should be discontinued and consult a medical specialist who, if necessary, will prescribe symptomatic treatment.
In 1 drop of syrup contains 0.01 XE, in 1 teaspoon - 0.11 XE.
In the maximum adult single dose - 430 mg of absolute alcohol, in 1 drop - 19 mg.
Interaction with other drugs
Perhaps a combination with other drugs used to treat bronchopulmonary diseases.
Simultaneous use with drugs containing codeine, as well as with other drugs with antitussive action is not recommended, as this can lead to difficulty in coughing up diluted sputum.
We offer you to read reviews of people who used the drug:
- Taisia. Saw a cough of liquorice syrup, which according to the reviews is good. From inattention turned out an overdose and swelling began on the face and legs, the epithelium on the skin peeled off. I had to stop taking the medicine, I was prescribed a medicine against swelling. It is necessary to approach the reception of any medicamentous means more accurately in order to benefit.
- Valentina. Licorice extract has always been my proven medicine. Now I also accept it, if I understand that I'm starting to get sick. Cough, viscous sputum, chest pain - all these signs of diseases syrup eliminates instantly. I like that it acts gently, does not irritate the throat and does not cause a headache, like some other medicines.
- Galina. I suffer from bronchial inflammation often, age does not allow the body to actively fight against viruses. I found a good remedy in the pharmacy and my doctor confirmed that the rhizomes of licorice help to cure even a strong cough. My hypertension is in control when I drink potion. As warned in the pharmacy, there may be pressure jumps.
Structural analogs for the active substance:
- Licorice root briquettes round;
- Licorice root syrup;
- Licorice syrup;
- Licorice extract thick;
- Licorice extract is dry;
- The licorice root is thick.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Shelf life of the root licorice syrup is 2 years. After opening the vial, the syrup should be used for a period of time not exceeding six months. The drug should be stored in a dark, dry place inaccessible to children at an air temperature of no more than + 25 ° C.
How to choose probiotics for the intestine: a list of drugs.
Effective and inexpensive cough syrups for children and adults.
Modern non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Review of tablets from the increased pressure of the new generation.
Antiviral drugs are inexpensive and effective.