A cough medicine for children: a list of effective. What to give to children from a dry cough
Cough is the most common sign for respiratory diseases. Especially alarming is when it occurs in young children. Its causes are diverse, and, based on this, the methods of combating it are different. How to choose a cough medicine for children? To answer this question, it is necessary to understand the mechanism of occurrence of such a symptom.
The main causes leading to the occurrence of cough in children
Cough reflex is a natural process in the body. It can indicate the presence of the disease, but can only serve to purify the airways from accumulated secretions. A single unobtrusive cough, not accompanied by a rise in body temperature or any changes in the behavior of the child, should not cause parents special anxiety. If coughing causes anxiety, then it is necessary to find out its cause, in order to choose the most effective cough medicine for children.
There are two leading factors that cause the occurrence of cough: penetration into the body of a child the causative agent of infection (and the development of a corresponding catarrhal disease) or the presence of an allergic reaction. A child's organism, especially a newborn, is imperfect and very sensitive to various viruses and bacteria that cause respiratory diseases.
These harmful agents, falling into the respiratory system with a flow of inhaled air, get on the mucous membrane, are introduced into its cells and begin to actively multiply, while at the place of their introduction there is irritation and increased mucus formation, to which the body reacts cough. Similarly, a reaction to the ingress of allergens into the respiratory tract, whether particles of dust, animal hair or plant pollen, is formed. Cough is a protective reaction of the body to irritation of the mucous membranes of the respiratory system or inflammatory process in them and releases them from various mechanical particles, microorganisms and accumulated mucus. The following types of cough are distinguished by the nature, productivity and sound.
Types of cough
Distinguish cough dry (in other words, unproductive), arising at the initial stage of the disease and not accompanied by sputum, and wet (or productive), which occurs as sputum accumulates and contributes to its spillage.
Dry cough is considered the most intrusive. It can pass paroxysmally or resemble barking. Such a symptom tires the child, prevents him from sleeping and can cause vomiting. Barking coughing attacks most often occur with the development of tracheitis or laryngitis and are associated with changes in the vocal cords. To soften the throat, you can use anti-inflammatory sprays or lozenges and alkaline drink to children from dry cough. The medicine will remove the mucosal edema and reduce the inflammatory process.
Sometimes you can come across such a rare type of dry cough at the moment, like pertussis. It became rare because almost all children now receive vaccinations against whooping cough, which reliably protects them from this disease. Cough with whooping cough is dry, paroxysmal, leading the baby's body to exhaustion. With this disease prescribe sedatives and recommend walking in the fresh air.
Quite infrequently occurring disease - respiratory chlamydia of newborns, in which there is a development of coughing of sonorous, jerky, dry - staccato cough. When cured of the underlying disease, it quickly disappears.
There are also types of cough that are not associated with catarrhal diseases:
- cough of an allergic nature - manifests paroxysmally, often occurs at night, before the onset of an attack the child is cheerful, does not feel unwell, suddenly starts to cough often;
- spastic - differs from the usual dry cough in that with it at the end there is a whistling sound; he is very intrusive and is not treated with antitussive drugs;
- bitonal - occurs, in particular, when a foreign body enters the bronchi; with it, the low tone of the cough becomes high;
- cough, which occurs with bronchial asthma, - appears with deep breaths and is accompanied by pain;
- cough associated with food intake, sometimes arising in the pathology of the esophagus or stomach;
- cough of psychogenic origin, which occurs in stressful situations; he appears exclusively in the afternoon, but regularly, has a metallic echo.
The cough medicine for children should be selected taking into account that all respiratory diseases, in mostly manifested first dry cough, which after a period of time passes into wet. But still, by the nature of the cough, it is possible to distinguish which part of the respiratory system has started the inflammation.
Features of cough in certain respiratory diseases
Laryngitis, or inflammation of the larynx, is manifested in the child by a dry cough, hoarseness of the voice, rapidity and difficulty breathing. There is a feeling of perspiration in the throat and severe pain when swallowing. After a while, the cough becomes wheezing due to a change in the airway lumen. Later, the swelling of the vocal cords subsides, and the cough becomes wet due to sputum discharge.
When tracheitis (trachea inflammation), the main symptom is a dry barking cough that starts suddenly, mainly during the night rest, and can last for several hours. Breathing can become whistling or wheezing. To alleviate the condition of the sick child, the doctor will suggest a cough suppressant, such as "Sinekod".
If the inflammatory process descends through the respiratory tract, then inflammation develops in the bronchial tubes (bronchitis) or in the lungs - pneumonia. These two diseases are distinguished from each other by X-ray examination. The initial stage of bronchitis is not different from other respiratory diseases - there are pain in the larynx, nose pawns, the child is sleepy and sluggish. Cough also from the dry at the beginning of the disease becomes wet. If there was an edema in the mucosa of the bronchus itself and the narrowing of its lumen, one speaks of obstructive bronchitis, which is quite common in allergies. If bronchitis is not cured, it can develop into a chronic form, which is fraught with depletion of bronchial walls and the emergence of bronchial asthma.
For the treatment of cough in children, many drugs are produced that have different active ingredients and differ in the mechanism of action. If you fight with children's cough alone, you need to understand them very well, so as not to harm and not aggravate the course of the disease.
Medicines against cough for children: classification
All medicines for cough are divided into two large groups - preparations of central and peripheral action.
The medicinal substances that affect the central nervous system include Sinekod's Tusuprex Libexin and others. They act overwhelmingly on the cough center in the cerebral cortex, very quickly inhibit the cough reflex and can be prescribed to children from a dry cough. The medicine is chosen for them only by the doctor, since it does not reduce the inflammatory process in the respiratory tract and with increased mucus formation it can be stagnant. Therefore, they should be used only on the advice of a pediatrician and only with a dry paroxysmal cough (for example, with whooping cough).
Preparations that have a peripheral effect, in turn, are subdivided according to the mechanism of action into several species. They include:
- Coughing agents that envelop the irritated areas of the mucous membrane in the upper parts of the respiratory system and reduce the inflammatory processes in it. They are appointed with the appearance of initial signs of irritation. They are good for children from a dry cough; the medicine is prescribed in this case, taking into account their age.
- Expectorants for cough, which contribute to the release of bronchi from accumulated exudate. They are also divided into subgroups. The main active ingredient in the first of these may be plant extracts (licorice, coltsfoot, marshmallow, plantain, thyme and thermopsis) or iodides (preparations "potassium iodide" and "sodium iodide"). Under the action of these agents in the cells of the bronchial mucosa, the production of mucus is increased, which liquefies phlegm, that is, it can quickly leave the bronchi. These medications are not suitable for infants and children with neurotic disorders or a tendency to vomiting. When prescribing drugs from the second group - mucolytics - liquefaction of the contents of the bronchi occurs without increasing its volume.
- They also produce a combined medicine that suppresses coughing. For older children, it fits perfectly, since it not only affects the center of the cough, but also softens the irritation of the respiratory tract.
All medicines should be selected taking into account the stage of the disease, the manifesting symptoms and the age of the child. It is advisable not to engage in self-medication, but to consult a pediatrician. It is especially important to ask for medical help in case of a breast infection.
Features of the appearance of a cough reflex and an effective cough medicine for children up to the year
In infants quite often, especially after sleep or feeding, there may be a physiological cough (in the form of rare coughs), not associated with any disease. Since most of the time the child spends on the back, mucus from the nasal passages can sink into the throat, which will cause a cough reflex. May cause it and the ingress of milk or mixture into the respiratory system during feeding or saliva with increased salivation. Also, an external factor can cause such a reaction: dry air, dust or tobacco smoke. Such a cough should not cause much concern, you just need to eliminate the cause of its appearance. If the symptom is intrusive, and the child has a fever or behavior changes, it is imperative to consult a pediatrician.
The peculiarity of the course of catarrhal diseases is that with a dry cough a so-called "false croup" - swelling of the larynx and vocal cords, which leads to a decrease in their lumen, and the baby begins to suffocate. This is a very dangerous condition, requiring immediate help from specialists. The account is here for minutes.
Just as dangerous is a wet cough, which in a nursing baby very quickly descends into the lungs, and banal the runny nose may soon develop into pneumonia, so the babies with suspicion of bronchitis immediately put in hospital. If the situation is not so serious, then, choosing a cough medicine for an infant, it must be taken into account that not all dosage forms are suitable for them.
It is good to have at home a special compressor or ultrasonic inhaler that will deliver the medicine directly to the mucous membrane in the airways. You can use solutions for inhalation "Lazolvan" or "Ambrobene" (they are also prescribed for cough and inward). They are convenient in that they are dosed by drop. They can be dissolved in tea, juice or milk. A good cough medicine for children up to the year is Lazolvan cough syrup and its analogs, which contain the active substance ambroxol. The product has practically no side effects.
Preparations for cough treatment in children from the year
Effective cough medicine for children under 2 years - mucolytic expectorant "Ambrobene" or its analogues: medicines "Ambroxol" Lazolvan "Ambrohexal" Flavamed "Bronhorus". They are used to treat both acute and chronic bronchitis or pneumonia, when chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or bronchial asthma with hard-to-separate sputum, as well as with bronchoectatic disease.
The medicine for wet coughing to a child, very convenient and safe enough for children of different ages, - the drug "Bromhexin 8 Berlin-Chemie" (or his analogues: means "Bronchostop Flegamin"), having mucolytic (secretolitic) and expectorant action and a small antitussive effect. For one-year-old children, it can be used as a drop, solution or syrup. The disadvantages of this drug can be attributed to the fact that the therapeutic effect is manifested only after 2-5 days after the first use.
It is possible to dilute and speed up the secretion of the use in children from 6 months of herbal medicines, such as cough syrups "Gedelix" and "Linkas." When using them, it is necessary to take into account the possible manifestation of an allergic reaction. Preparations based on vegetable raw materials are recommended for children over 2 years of age.
Cough syrups based on herbal extracts
To facilitate a wet cough in a child, medicines can be chosen made from natural raw materials. In addition to common mucolytic drugs, such as "Syrup althaea" or "Licorice root syrup, many multicomponent products are produced, including extracts of herbs in various combinations. It is necessary to study their composition well before use if the child has allergies to plants.
Cedar syrup "Gedelix" on the basis of ivy extract is a cough medicine for children effective for kids aged from several months. It is used as an expectorant for infections in the upper respiratory tract and for bronchitis, accompanied by the formation of hard-to-separate sputum. After its application, the excretion of mucus as a result of its liquefaction and softening of its coughing is accelerated. When using this syrup for the treatment of an infant, the required dose should be diluted with boiled water and observe if an allergic reaction has occurred.
To reduce the intensity and increase the productivity of cough, you can buy a syrup "Linkas, which also has an anti-inflammatory and expectorant effect. In its composition, you can see the extracts of the leaves adhatoda, licorice root, pepper, violets, hyssop medicinal, althaea and others. In the absence of a child's allergy, this drug can be recommended as an excellent cough medicine for children under 2 years.
A good expectorant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effect is the syrup "Bronchicum reducing the viscosity of the secret and accelerating its evacuation. The effect of this drug is based on the properties of the root of the primrose and thyme. Extracts of these herbs envelop the irritated mucous membrane, which facilitates a sensation of perspiration in the throat and softens the cough.
For better separation of sputum with a damp cough, use the agent "Herbion syrup plantain". This drug also has an immunomodulatory effect, protecting the respiratory epithelial cells from damage and increasing the body's resistance to infections.
Synthetic medicines for the treatment of wet cough
Children over the age of two years with diseases with hard-to-find secretion will help syrup "Ascoril is a combined a drug whose action - bronchodilator, expectorant and mucolytic - is based on the properties of bromhexine, guaifenesin and salbutamol. He is prescribed for such ailments as bronchial asthma, pneumonia, obstructive bronchitis, tracheobronchitis, emphysema, pulmonary tuberculosis, whooping cough and others.
A good medicine for a child from cough is the drug "Atsc which helps in sputum purification (including purulent) and its expectoration. It is prescribed for diseases of the respiratory system, accompanied by the formation of thick mucus, such as acute and chronic bronchitis, including obstructive, bronchoectatic disease, tracheitis, cystic fibrosis, pneumonia and the like, as well as with certain ENT diseases (laryngitis, acute or chronic sinusitis, middle ear inflammation) and paracetamol poisoning (both antidote). Children can use it from the age of 2 in the minimum dosage.
Treatment of dry cough with drugs that suppress its occurrence
A great concern may be a dry cough in the child. Medicines for its treatment can be divided into two groups. The first include drugs that suppress cough centrally.
This group of drugs is not recommended to be used without prescribing a doctor, especially if it is a small child. Their use is justified only in the case of a prolonged dry nausea cough causing pain, vomiting or interfering with sleep. In such a situation, it is possible to use a medicine that suppresses coughing. For children for this purpose, prescribe drugs "Sinekod" Tusuprex "Glaucin" or "Libexin depressing the work of the center of a cough in the brain. For infants (only by prescription of a doctor), you can purchase the "Sinekod" remedy in the form of drops. The most important thing is that when you buy these drugs, you need to remember that they are consumed only with a dry cough and do not combine with funds that increase mucus outflow.
Similar effect is also available with the combination of drugs such as syrups "Tussin plus Broncholitin" and "Stoptussin." They, along with suppressing the cough reflex, envelop the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract, soften the cough, help to eliminate inflammation and stimulate immunity. They are prescribed for dry and irritating cough of various nature, as well as in pre- and postoperative periods to facilitate coughing.
Drugs for the treatment of dry cough
To ease the condition with a dry cough in a two-year-old child in the absence of allergies, you can use the drug "Herbion syrup primrose." It is also used as an expectorant for inflammation of the respiratory tract with the formation of a viscous secretion (bronchitis, tracheitis, tracheobronchitis).
Effective cough medicine for children 3 years - a combined drug "Doctor Mom: syrup from cough with aloe, basil sacred, elecampane, ginger, turmeric, licorice and others plants. It has a pronounced bronchodilator, mucolytic, expectorant and anti-inflammatory effect. It is recommended for dry cough or cough with hard-to-recover sputum in children from the age of three (with pharyngitis, laryngitis, tracheitis, bronchitis). Contraindication for its use is the individual intolerance of some of its components.
Drugs for coughing a lot, and to choose a cough medicine for children, you need to proceed from each case, taking into account all contraindications and dosages. It is advisable to consult a pediatrician beforehand. To effectively combat colds of various nature, in addition to cough suppressants, it is necessary to use drugs that enhance immunity. The child is given peace and a special regime. It is necessary to give the baby a lot of fluid and maintain the humidity in the room. If the child does not have temperature - you can use warming with dry heat and rubbing with medicinal ointments. That is, treatment should be comprehensive.
All expectorants for cough with bronchitis
When ORVI, bronchitis with a damp cough with poorly separated sputum, the use of medicines is recommended, which either dilute sputum - mucolytic drugs, or facilitate its separation - expectorants from cough. These include both herbal remedies and synthetic preparations.
Many of us prefer to restrict the intake of medications not obtained from natural substances, however, it should always be remembered that any a medicinal plant, no matter what positive properties it possessed, as well as synthetic agents have side effects, and has a number contraindications.
Since the composition of all medicinal plants is very complex and saturated, in addition to useful and medicinal herbs, a lot of other, sometimes toxic, harmful substances are included in the herbs and preparations. Moreover, in our days, the majority of the population suffers from various types of allergies, and any drug, even the most expensive, effective and safe, can cause an inadequate body reaction.
Classification of funds that facilitate cough and promote rapid recovery
All means for cough relief are subdivided into antitussives, expectorants and mucolytic agents.
- Antitussives, as well as combination preparations - are indicated for dry, unproductive cough, disturbing sleep and appetite (see. article antitussives with dry cough).
- Expectorants - are indicated with a productive cough, when the sputum is not thick, not viscous.
- Mucolytic agents - are shown with a productive cough, but with a thick, hard to separate, viscous sputum.
Any cough medicine must be prescribed only by your doctor. Antitussive remedies can not be used to treat concomitantly with mucolytic drugs, but there are combination drugs that have a weak antitussive and expectorant effect.
Expectorants - means that stimulate expectoration are also divided into:
- Reflex action - these drugs have an irritating effect on the gastric mucosa, and this in its turn excites the vomiting center, but vomiting does not occur, but the production of mucus in respiratory ways. The peristalsis of the smooth musculature of the bronchi and the activity of the epithelium, which removes phlegm from small to large bronchioles and into the trachea, is also intensified. The result of this irritation is the facilitation of expectoration of mucus and the removal of sputum from the bronchi. In general, these are herbal preparations - thermopsis, Ledum, mother and stepmother, althea, plantain, thyme, etc.
- Direct resorptive action - after digestion of these cough suppressants in the digestive tract, they cause irritation of the bronchial mucosa, thereby increasing the secretion of liquid sputum.
Mucolytic agents are preparations that dilute sputum:
- Mukoliticheskie means, affecting the elasticity and viscosity of bronchial mucus (ATSTS, etc.)
- Mucolytic agents that accelerate the excretion of sputum (bromhexine, ambroxol)
- Mucolytic drugs that reduce the formation of mucus (Libexin Muko, M-cholinoblockers, glucocorticoids).
Expectorants for cough reflex action
The use of infusions from the herb of thermopsis should be treated very carefully. At children at the slightest overdose there can be a vomiting. Moreover, the cytisine (alkaloid) entering into its composition in large doses can cause a short-term stimulation of respiration in children, which then gives way to respiratory depression.
Preparations of Althea
Indication: Chronic and acute diseases of the respiratory system - bronchitis, tracheobronchitis, obstructive bronchitis, emphysema. At which a difficultly separated sputum is formed, increased viscosity.
Pharmacological action: When using expectorants from the herb althea medicinal, the effect is achieved by stimulation of peristalsis of bronchioles, it has an anti-inflammatory effect, dilutes bronchial secret.
Contraindications: increased sensitivity to this drug, gastric and duodenal ulcer. For preparations in syrup, use with caution in diabetes mellitus and fructose intolerance. Children under 3 years, with pregnancy only according to the indications.
Side effects: allergic manifestations, rarely nausea, vomiting
Mukaltin, tablets (20 rubles).
Method of use: Children mukultin as an expectorant for cough take, dissolving 1 a tablet in 1/3 of a glass of water, adults are recommended to 50-100 mg 3/4 p / day before meals, a course of therapy 1-2 weeks.
The roots of the althea(60 rubles) raw materials crushed|
Dosage: Take in the form of infusion, which is prepared as follows - a tablespoon on a glass of cold water, in a water bath is boiled for 15 minutes, cooled, filtered, squeezed, brought to 200 ml. Admission is carried out 3-4 r / day after eating, before taking shake. Children 3-5 years, 1 dessert each. spoon, 6-14 years for 1-2 tablespoons, adults 1/2 cup for 1 reception. The course of treatment is 12-21 days.
Alteika syrup(90 rub) syrup Althea (30-130 rub)|
Application: Inside after meals, children under 12 years old - 4 r / day for 1 hour. spoon, diluted in a quarter of a glass of water, adults for 1 tbsp. l. syrup, diluted in half a glass of water. The course of treatment is up to 2 weeks, according to the indications the duration of therapy can be continued.
Preparations of thermopsis
Thermopsolpills for cough (30-50 rub)
The herb of thermopsis has a pronounced expectorant property, this herbal preparation contains many alkaloids (cytisine, thermopsin, methyl cytisine, anagirine, pachycarpine, thermopsidin), which exert a stimulating effect on the respiratory center, and at high doses on the vomiting Centre. Sodium bicarbonate, which is a part of the tablets Termopsol also reduces the viscosity of phlegm, stimulating the secretion of bronchial glands.
Kodelak Broncho(120-170 rubles)without codeinethe composition includes (thermopsis extract, ambroxol, sodium hydrogen carbonate and glycyrrhizinate)|
Kodelak Broncho with thyme100 ml. elixir (150 rub)without codeine,in the composition (thyme extract, ambroxol, sodium glycyrrhizinate) These are combined expectorants that have expressed and mucolytic, and expectorant action, in addition have a moderate anti-inflammatory activity. Included in Ambroxol reduces the viscosity of phlegm, and Sodium glycyrrhizinate has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
Indications: Kodelak Broncho is used for difficulty in sputum discharge during pneumonia, COPD, bronchitis acute and chronic, with bronchoectatic disease.
Contraindications: Pregnancy, children under 12 years, during lactation, with increased sensitivity to components of Kodelak Broncho. With caution in bronchial asthma, ulcerative gastrointestinal diseases, people with hepatic and renal insufficiency.
Dosage: When eating 1 table. 3 r / day, can not be used for more than 4-5 days.
Side effects: Headache, weakness, dry mouth, diarrhea, constipation, with high doses and prolonged reception - nausea, vomiting. Dryness of the mucosa of the respiratory tract, allergic reactions, dysuria, exanthema.
Thoracal Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4The composition of which includes medicinal herbs:
More details about these collections of medicinal herbs from coughing can be read in our article - Breastfeeding, "from coughing - instructions for use.
Expectorant collection- Ledum, chamomile, elecampane rhizomes, mother and stepmother, calendula, peppermint, licorice, plantain.|
Application: infusion take 4 r / day before meals in 1/4 cup or 50 ml, course 10-14 days. Infusion is prepared as follows - 1 tbsp. l. collection boil in a water bath for 15 minutes in 200 ml of water, then cool, bring to 200 ml.
Side effect: Diarrhea, heartburn, nausea, allergic manifestations.
Bronchophyte(elixir, manufacturer of Ukraine) composition: Ledum, plantain, anise, violet, licorice, sage, thyme.
Leaf of plantain, mother and stepmother, ledum and other vegetable preparations
Leaf of plantain(30 rubles pack)
Plantain contains many useful biologically active substances, mucus, vitamins, essential oil, oleic acid, bitter and tannins, resins, saponins, sterols, emulsions, alkaloids, chlorophyll, mannitol, sorbitol, phytoncides, flavonoids, macro- and microelements. It has bacteriostatic, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, expectorant, mild laxative effect. It also has a mucolytic effect, restoring the work of the ciliated epithelium.
Herbion with plantain(180-230 rubles) For more details on the use of Herbion in dry cough and Herbionum with a damp cough, read in our article.
Grasshopper herb grass(35 rubles)is part of the expectorant collection, Breastfeeding No 4 and Bronchophyta. Herbal means of expectorant action, essential oil components have a locally irritating effect on mucous membranes bronchi, ledum has both antimicrobial and moderate anti-inflammatory effect, has an exciting effect on myometrium and CNS.|
Dosage: Infusion of 3 r / day for 1/2 cup, for infusion it takes 2 tablespoons of herbs per 200 ml of boiling water.
Side effects: Increased bronchospasm, increased irritability, excitability, dizziness.
Mother and stepmother(40 rub)|
Application: due to the biologically active substances included in the composition it has antimicrobial, expectorant, diaphoretic, choleretic, wound-healing and antispasmodic properties.
Dosage: every 3 hours for 15 ml infusion or 2-3 tablespoons 3 r / day for an hour before meals. Prepare the infusion as follows - 2 tbsp. Spoons are filled with a glass of water and for 15 minutes. boil in a water bath, then cool, filter, volume is adjusted to 200 ml.
Plantain syrup and mother and stepmothers(200 rubles)|
Contraindications: children under 6 years of age, pregnancy, lactation, peptic ulcer.
Use: the syrup is taken to children 6-10 years old to 15 years old for 2 hours. spoon, adult 1-2 tbsp. spoon 4 r / day course 14-21 day. The change in the duration of therapy is determined by the attending physician.
Side effects: allergic reactions (see. all tablets from allergies)
Stoppussin phyto syrup(130 rubles)composition: plantain, thyme, thyme. This is a phytopreparation with an anti-inflammatory and expectorant effect.|
Contraindicated: during pregnancy and feeding, children under 1 year. Patients with epilepsy (causes), kidney and liver diseases, brain injuries should be taken with caution.
Application: after meals 1-5 years for 1 hour. spoon 3 r / day, 5-10 years for 1-2 hours. l. 10-15 years for 2-3 tsp, adults for 1 tbsp. l. 3-5 r / day. Usually the course of treatment is not more than 1 week, continue therapy is possible according to the indications.
Coldrex bronchus (syrup 110-250 rub)|
Syrup Caldrex bronchus has the smell of anise and licorice, the main substance used is guaifenesin, and also includes dextrose, macrogol, sodium cyclamate and benzoate, tincture of red pepper, star anise seed oil, racemic camphor, levomenthol.
Contraindicated: children under 3 years, with peptic ulcer, hypersensitivity.
Usage: Children from 3-12 years of age are shown an example in a single dose of 5 ml every 3 hours, an adult 10 ml every 3 hours.
Side effects: abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, urticaria, rash.
Thyme (thyme extract)
Thyme grass(40 rub) Thyme essential oil (90 rub)
It is also an expectorant for coughs of plant origin, has analgesic and antimicrobial effect.
These are liquid extracts of thyme, which are mucolytic and expectorant agents for coughing with bronchitis, pneumonia, with diseases with paroxysmal coughing, and with hardly detachable sputum.
After meals, children 6-12 months - on, h. spoons 2 r / day, 2-6 years - 1 hour. l. 2 r / day, 6-12 years - 1 tsp3 r / day, for adults 2 tsp. 3 r / day.Pastilles should be absorbed, children 6-12 years old - 1 paste. 3 r / day, for adults 1-2 pastes. 3 r / day.
Children 1-4 years - on, ch. 3 r / day, 5-12 years - 1 tsp each. 4 r / day, adults for 1 tsp. 6 r / day. Bronchicum should be taken throughout the day at regular intervals.
After meals, children 3-6 years old, ch. Lolki,6-12 years old by 1-2 tsp, over 12 years old on a dessert spoon, adults on a tablespoon 3 r / day, course 10-14 days.
Children 1-5 years old take 2-3 r / day for 10-25 drops, which can be taken in diluted and undiluted form. Children older than 5 years of 20-50 drops, adults 40-60 drops of 4 r / day. Syrup should be taken after meals for children 1-5 years 3p / day for 1 tsp., Over 5 years 1-2 tsp, for adults 2-3 tsp. 4 r / day.
Gelomirtol (170-250 rub)
It is an expectorant for coughing with chronic and acute bronchitis, of plant origin.
Expectorants for cough of direct resorptive action
Such active ingredients as ammonium chloride, sodium hydrogen carbonate, potassium and sodium iodides increase secretion liquid sputum, the same effect is possessed by essential oils of fruits of anise, medicinal herbs - rosemary, oregano and etc.
Composition:ammonium chloride, sodium benzoate, potassium bromide, licorice root extract and herbs of thermopsis.
Contraindicated in pregnancy and lactation, children under 3 years, peptic ulcer, hypersensitivity.
Application: After meals, children 3-6 years old - 1 / 2hl. 3 r / day, 6-12 years - 1 teaspoon, 12-18 years - 1 dessert each. spoon, adults for 1 tbsp. l 3 r / day, the course of treatment 10-14 days.
Mucolytic agents for coughing with bronchitis
Mucolytic agents help to dilute viscous sputum, improving the process of its removal, eliminating the nutrient medium for pathogenic microorganisms.
Mucolytic agent, reduces the severity of the inflammatory process, reduces the frequency of exacerbations in chronic bronchitis. It is indicated for laryngitis (treatment in a child), otitis media, obstructive, acute bronchitis, pneumonia.
Application: Duration of therapy for acute catarrhal diseases should not exceed 7 days, with chronic bronchitis a longer reception is possible. Preparations of acetylcysteine is better taken after eating, it should be borne in mind that always additional fluid intakeincreases the expectorant effect.
Children 2-5 years of 100 mg 2-3 r / day, from 6-14 years 3 r / day for 100 mg, an adult at 200 mg 3 r / day or 600 mg once a day.
Side effects: tinnitus, headache, stomatitis, vomiting, heartburn, tachycardia, lowering of blood pressure, bronchospasm, development of pulmonary hemorrhage, urticaria, skin rash.
Mucolytic agent, has expectorant and weak antitussive effect. The effect occurs within 2-5 days after the initiation of therapy.
Side effects: vomiting, nausea, allergic reactions, headache, dizziness.
Combined preparations Dzhoset, Ascoril, KashnolThey are used only for strict indications.
On the appointment of a doctor with obstructive syndrome.
Ingredients: Bromhexine, Guaifenesin, Salbutamol.
analogs- Lazolvan (Table. syrup, bottles 200-360), Ambrobe (tab. ampoules, capsules, syrup 120-200 rub), Ambrohexal (tab. syrup 70-100 rubles), Ambroxol (Table. syrup 20-40 rubles), Ambrosan (tab. 100 rubles), Flavamed (tab. the flask. 150-200 rubles), Haliksol (tab. 100 rubles).
This mucolytic, expectorant drug, Lazolvan - is today considered one of the most effective mucolytic drugs.
Contraindicated: in 1 trim-re pregnancy, in 2 and 3 trim-re with caution, patients with chronic diseases of the liver and kidneys.
Application: Take the tablets after meals for 30 mg. 3 r / day for adults. Children are shown reception in the form of a syrup up to 2 years, ch. 2 r / day, 2-6 years ch. 3 r / day, 6-12 yearsfor 1 tsp. 3 r / day, adults for 2 tsp. 3 r / day, the course of therapy is usually no more than 5 days. The syrup should be taken with a large amount of liquid during meals.
Side effects: heartburn, vomiting, diarrhea, allergic reactions, skin rash.
expectorant mucolytic agent, increases the viscosity of sputum, improves the elasticity of bronchial secretions.
Application: 15 ml or 1 measuring cup 3 r / day, separately from food intake. The course of treatment can not be conducted for more than 8 days
Side effects: gastrointestinal bleeding, nausea, vomiting, urticaria, skin itching, weakness, dizziness.
What is the best cough medicine for a child, the year (paroxysmal, light clean)? It is very necessary. Very necessary
Any tool that you are recommended here on the Internet, you still need to coordinate in a pharmacy with a pharmacist! Because you have a very small child!! !
1. "Alteika" is the root of the althea. Is in drugstores.
2. Herbs: Mother-and-stepmother. Licorice. Or "Breast gathering". Is in drugstores.
3. "Lazolvan" - IF THE DOCTOR SOLVES!! !
4. Warm paraffin cakes on the chest and back.
5. Compress from potatoes with vodka. Cook the potatoes in the MUNDER. Mind with the uniform, put it on the hl / boom. cloth, sprinkle lightly with vodka. Apply a compress on the body in the chest and back. ATTENTION: DO NOT ON THE HEART!!! Top with cellophane and wrap it with a warm kerchief. Half an hour - an hour. Sit NEAR - keep your child NOT BAD from the heat!!! !
Syrup podorozhnika us quickly helped)))
Good afternoon! In order to cough up phlegm, use alkaline liquids: Alka-Mine coral water and Microhydrin, which have a powerful alkaline effect!
lincos. on herbs, not expensive and most importantly effective!
The best remedy for kalya is a compress and rubbing for the night, a warm plentiful drink and the simplest dry cough mixture that is sold in a steklovannoy bottle. It is the most harmless and effective
Expectorants to children (if there is no cystic fibrosis, pneumonia, etc.) are not prescribed. To soften the cough use warm drink and inhalation of moistened air.
Children's dry cough medicine - it's called that. sold in small bags, single dose. Dilute with water (it is sweet) and give a spoon or a small bottle. She does not hurt exactly - she's on herbs. A very good thing, cough treats best.
Try the recipe from the "village of cow milk is heated, there is a spoonful of honey and a drop (with a match head) of iodine, is consumed warm, closer to the hot, then put the baby on the bed, it sweats, and then you must quickly change into dry clothes. A couple of times, you'll see the effect. Use only if the child does not have allergies to ingredients. Get well.
And yet, as I understand it, a child has a dry cough, a special syrup for dry cough is sold in pharmacies, ask, there you must prompt))) And my child is coughing for ACHC, a child's dose, the drug is very tasty, easy to drink by children and helps)))
List of medicines for dry and wet cough for children. A cough medicine for children from year to year. Expectorants for children
It's strange, but when a cough occurs in an adult person, he ignores this phenomenon, saying that he feels well. But it costs the child to choke, then restless mothers begin to stuff him with syrups, pills and other various medicines.
But why not admit the idea that the child is completely healthy, and cough only indicates the ingress of foreign particles into the respiratory tract?! Let's study its nature in children in more detail, consider the list of drugs and identify an effective cough medicine for children from year to year.
Does the cough always signal a sickness?
Cough is due to ingress of foreign particles (mucus, dust, pollen, food) that irritate the larynx, trachea, bronchi, pleura. In fact, this phenomenon is a physiological reflex even in times of illness, when the patient coughs up phlegm.
In what cases does the cough in children have a physiological cause, when there are no symptoms of the disease, and the baby is absolutely healthy?
- Morning. After a night's sleep, the child may have a slight cough. This is due to the fact that during the night in the bronchi accumulates slime.
- Thoracic. For babies, coughing is a characteristic phenomenon, since the baby can choke while crying or feeding.
- Artificial. Infants, fighting for the attention of mom and dad, can induce a single cough, noticing once the anxiety on their faces.
- "Dental". During the eruption of milk teeth, children develop increased salivation, which can contribute to cough reflex.
- Protective cough occurs when small objects or food crumbs get into the respiratory tract. In this case, you need to remove the foreign body, most often require medical help.
In these cases, it is not necessary to give expectorants to children. The cough medicine should be selected competently, so as not to worsen the child's well-being. Harmless cough is different from catarrhal short-term, episodic. It does not affect the health of the child.
Character of cough during illnesses
If the cough becomes a consequence of the disease, then the baby does not sleep well, eats, plays, starts to be capricious, cry. In this case, the disease leaves its imprint on the cough reflex:
- with catarrhal diseases, acute respiratory infections, acute cough increases in a few hours or days, turning from dry to wet;
- laryngitis causes coughing barking, dry, agonizing, hoarse, accompanied by wheezing, shortness of breath;
- when tracheitis appears loud, "thoracic a deep and painful "booze
- Pharyngitis is characterized by a dry cough that occurs due to perspiration in the throat;
- bronchitis "bun" is similar to trachea, but it is without pain and is accompanied by the release of sputum;
- pneumonia can cause a wet, deep, chest cough with pain in the ribs, if the disease is caused bacteria, or dry, paroxysmal, loud, painless, if the cause of the disease were chlamydia;
- with influenza coughing strong, dry, painful, intensifying at high temperature;
- measles in the first two days causes a dry, weak painless cough, whereas after skin rashes it becomes rough and husky.
In this case, even an expensive medicine for children from a dry cough will not help, because the treatment should be comprehensive.
After catarrhal diseases, children may have an asthmatic or recurrent cough. It lasts more than two weeks and is continually repeated after illness. This may be the cause of obstructive bronchitis, then along with the cough, there is also a temperature, and sore throat, and rhinitis.
If the cough is not accompanied by signs of a cold, but is caused by allergens, cold air, physical exertion, the child may have asthma. Such a cough occurs as a reaction to allergies (wool, fluff, plant pollen, dust, food). It may appear during uneven breathing, for example, the child ran into, took a deep breath or took a sip of cold air. An allergic cough usually appears before dawn, as a reaction to shortness of breath and shortness of breath.
Observe the child: most often, along with an allergy, sneezing, lacrimation, skin rashes, redness, itching appear. In no case do not apply for advice on the forum, do not read reviews about cough medicines and do not experiment on the child, as in all the illness proceeds in different ways.
Be sure to ask for medical pediatric care. And if the child's well-being stabilizes after receiving bronchodilators, then we can talk about the appearance of bronchial asthma.
How can parents determine which cough a child has?
If the baby has a described symptom, then do not panic, call a doctor right away or look for medications. Pay attention to the following points:
- How does the child behave during a cough? If the kid does not pay attention to it, continues to play, then, most likely, it is a protective reaction of the body. But if the child is capricious or, conversely, becomes quiet, tries to lie down, then you need to measure the temperature.
- Is there a fever and other cold symptoms in the baby? If the temperature is 37, then watch the child for a day. Sometimes the cause of this temperature can be overheating (bought in hot water or too warmly dressed in the street), then it will disappear after a couple of hours.
- Is the cough reflected on the overall well-being of the baby? Maybe the baby does not eat well, sleeps, plays, or does his behavior become unnatural?
- Did the child swallow the small details during the game?
If the children have no signs of disease, then the cough has a protective physiological nature, so there is no need to look for a good cough medicine for the child. But with a protracted phenomenon, consult a doctor, perhaps there are other reasons for the appearance of this symptom.
If the cough is a consequence of the disease
- to measure the temperature;
- to examine the throat, tonsils, ears, eyes, nose;
- clarify the child, where it hurts;
- see if there are rashes on the skin;
- Listen to what cough: dry, barking, intermittent, paroxysmal, wet, hoarse, with phlegm;
- Call a doctor.
Watch for the child's well-being, the nature of the course of the disease and the type of cough. For example, with catarrhal diseases, "booze" from dry can turn into a wet one due to an intensified rhinitis, whereas with a flu coughing proceeds without acute rhinitis.
However, cough without fever, runny nose, sore throat can be a consequence of the occurrence of ascaris in the child, allergies, digestive tract diseases and even with cardiovascular ailments. Therefore, if the described phenomenon lasts more than two weeks, it is better to consult a doctor and express your fears, rather than give a medicine for a strong cough uncontrollably.
A prolonged nocturnal "booze" may indicate such diseases as rhinitis, sinusitis, sinusitis. In this case, children have nasal discharge of white and green, strong nasal congestion. Be sure to seek advice from the otolaryngologist!
Basic and auxiliary medications that eliminate cough
If you contact a pharmacist for advice on what to buy a cough medicine for children from one year or older, then in return you can get dozens of names: Codeine, "Demorfan "Sedotussin "Sinekod "Libeksin "Gelitsidin "Stoptussin "Broncholitin "Lorain "Herbion "Mukaltin "Ambrobene "ATSTS "Lazolvan Bromgeksin Sinupret "and other
Medicines of this category are divided into 3 types:
- drugs that prevent cough reflex due to exposure to nerve cells in the brain;
- medicines that affect the bronchi and their mucous membranes;
- drugs that reduce sputum production.
Some of them can be harmful to the children's body, since they have narcotic substances, others are inactive, since the organism does not perceive them. Therefore, the pediatrician after the examination writes out his treatment.
- Babies up to a year appoint syrups, inhalations, ointments, essential oils, less often sprays.
- Older children may be prescribed tablets.
The most effective inhalation, as the child deeply inhales the vapors of the drug. But the duration of the procedure and the proportions of the medication with saline solution should be specified by the pediatrician. In any case, when there is a dry cough, the doctor's task is to prescribe a drug that transforms it into a moist one, and then helps to get the phlegm out of the body.
What medicines give children from a dry cough
1. Tablets "Libexin" is better to use when there are cold symptoms. Affect the nerve receptors, inhibiting the cough reflex, but do not depress the respiratory center. Tablets can be given to preschool children.
2. The plant-based preparation "Linkas" in the form of syrup has an expectorant, antitussive, bronchodilator, spasmolytic effect. This is a cough medicine for children from the year who do not have diabetes.
3. Pills "Bithiodine" peripherally affect the cough receptors, do not have any drug components and any side effects. Therefore, they can be assigned to children.
4. Tablets "Stoptussin" refer to antitussive drugs and have a mucolytic effect due to butamirate and guaifenesin. They have a number of contraindications and are assigned to adolescents from 12 years of age.
5. The "Broncholitin" syrup perfectly copes with the cough, reducing the sputum and enlarging the bronchi. Suitable for children from three years old. Despite a wide range of uses, this drug has a number of contraindications and side effects.
What kind of medicine for a wet cough is given to children?
1. Syrup "Gerbion" from a moist cough has an expectorant effect. It has a peculiar taste and smell, so not all children drink it.
2. Tablets "Termopsis" increase the excretion of phlegm and make it more viscous. This drug is contraindicated in infants, who can not cough up the sputum.
3. Syrup-like "Lazolvan" - a cure for a damp cough to a child, stimulates sputum production, but does not suppress cough. This medication can be produced for inhalation, which allows for the treatment of infants.
4. The drug "Ambroxol" in the form of tablets is aimed at increasing mucus secretions. It has an expectorant, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial action.
5. Tablets "ACTS" can be prescribed to young children in the treatment of a damp cough. Thanks to acetylcysteine, sputum dilutes and exits the body. Despite the merits of the drug, there are a lot of side effects, so treatment should be carried out under medical supervision.
What are expectorant
- The medicine for cough "Sinekod" in the form of syrup is used against dry cough and during the disease with whooping cough. Has an expectorant, anti-inflammatory and bronchodilating effect. It is applied no more than 7 days in a syrup for preschool children over three years old, for babies it is sold in drugstores in the form of drops.
- Gedelix syrup perfectly displays sputum. A medicine of plant origin is produced in Germany. In its composition it does not have dyes, sugar, flavors, alcohol, so it can be used since infants.
- The drug "Dr. Theiss" in the form of syrup is made in Germany. Effective in controlling wet cough. It facilitates breathing during night sleep and displays phlegm. Do not give children up to a year.
- Medicinal herb "Doctor Mom" in the form of tablets, troches, syrup. Allows you to transform a dry cough into wet and withdraw phlegm from the body. It is prescribed for children from three years old.
- Tablets and syrup "Bromhexin" increase sputum production, making it viscous. Great for children over three years old.
Effective cough medicine for children from year
As you can see, there is a lot of medicines from dry and wet cough. In each category there are subgroups of medicines that have a wide range of effects due to combined functions. Such medicines include "Stoptussin "Broncholitin "Doctor Mom" and others.
Try to treat small children from cough with rubbing, mustard plasters, ointments, inhalations, vegetable decoctions and syrups. For infants, pediatricians can prescribe drugs such as Doctor Theiss, Lazolvan, Linkas, Gedelix, etc., but everything will depend on the individual tolerability of medicines and nature the course of the disease.
In any case, parents need to remember two things:
1. Before buying a drug, specify in the pharmacy about contraindications and side effects. If there are concerns, you must immediately return to the pediatrician and specify the method of treatment.
2. If the doctor has prescribed a new cough medicine for you from year to year, follow the reaction of the baby's body.
The most effective means of dry cough for children
Diseases of the respiratory tract are accompanied by a symptom such as coughing. However, if the baby starts a dry cough, but there are no other symptoms, you can do without some medications for a while. Home remedies for dry cough are also able to quickly cope with infection or viruses, but only at the initial stage of their penetration into the body.
Necessity of herbal teas
Typically, any treatment for dry cough is to quickly convert it into a wet, productive option. A good help is the use of various herbal teas, for example:
- chamomile tea with raspberries;
- decoction of mother-and-stepmother, althaea, licorice, ledum and elecampane, taken in equal quantities (although such a decoction can be given to children who have reached the age of one and a half);
- banana milk: take a glass of hot milk and take two wiped banana fruits and mix well;
- hot milk with honey and a pinch of soda.
Benefits of inhalation
Also good funds for dry cough for children are inhalations, which can be done with herbal decoctions or special essential oils purchased at the pharmacy after consulting the pediatrician. When a child appears, many doctors recommend buying a home inhaler, which will be a faithful assistant for many years. After a couple of procedures, there is a significant relief of the baby's condition.
No less effective means of dry cough for children-it's rubbing with badger fat. It should be remembered that this tool can be used for babies with half a year, but only externally! Badger fat is rubbed the back, feet, breast (of course, excluding the heart area), after which they well wrap the baby. Such grinding for greater convenience and benefit is recommended to be done immediately before the child sleeps. Moreover, badger fat is effective not only with dry cough, but also bronchitis, including chronic, pneumonia and even tuberculosis. By the way, goat, goose or sheep fat, though to a lesser extent, but have the same properties.
It is important!
If the child is very poorly awake at night because of severe attacks of cough provoking vomiting, it is necessary, in consultation with a doctor, to buy syrup for children from a dry cough based on natural components.
Folk remedies for dry cough for children, used by our grandmothers:
- black radish with a method: make a deepening in the radish and fill it with honey, after 5 hours, a healing syrup is formed in it;
- crushed bulb fill with sugar in a proportion of 1: 1 and insist all night, and in the morning you can already drink the syrup formed on a spoon every 2 hours;
- decoction of pine buds: half a liter of boiling water or milk take 1 spoonful of kidneys and insist an hour, pre-wrapped (drink recommended at 50 grams every couple of hours).
Using these simple tools from a dry cough for a child, you can quickly cope with the first symptoms of the disease.