Green sputum when coughing
Sputum green for cough: causesCoughing is not an independent disease, it is rather a symptom of other unpleasant conditions. It is precisely the causes of the onset of such a condition and the nature of its course that can be evidenced by sputum released during coughing.
Sputum contains enough immune cells that are capable of providing reliable protection of the body against pathogenic microorganisms. With the development of inflammatory processes, sputum appears in the bronchi and trachea, in combination with mucus. It contains in its composition products that provide resistance to microbes, viruses and various fungi.
If the sputum, which is released when coughing, has a green color, this indicates its bacterial nature. Its causes may be hiding in the presence of pus in the airways, as well as suspension of liquid consistency from dead microbes and leukocytes. Shades of sputum may have a different color, depending on the microbes that caused it.
In addition, the development of cough with sputum green can indicate a purulent inflammation in the lungs. Its other cause may be sinusitis.
Yellow-green sputum when coughing
If sputum is given during cough, having a yellow-green color, therefore, there are consequences of purulent discharge. Thus, the human body signals the development of processes in the organs of the respiratory system. The color of excreted sputum is the basis for setting a preliminary diagnosis. If the sputum is yellow-green, therefore, there is a definite threat to human health. To eliminate it, you need to undergo a medical examination.
Green sputum when coughing in the morning
Green sputum when coughing in the morning does not appear anywhere in itself. To ensure that the human body was reliably protected from exposure to its respiratory system of pathogenic bacteria, it contains a healthy bronchial secret without color and odor. If this secret acquires a green color and is manifested in the morning, therefore, there is a development of a certain pathology.
Most often, this happens when a person develops chronic bronchitis. This is especially evident in cases with children. When the child has a sputum of green in the morning on the background of an ongoing cough, you should see a doctor for the correct diagnosis and the appointment of timely treatment.
Also, this symptomatology is typical for smokers with many years of experience. They often notice the appearance in the morning of green sputum when coughing, as the body's reaction to the action of nicotine.
Severe cough, green sputum
The appearance of green sputum with a strong cough indicates the addition of pus in sputum. Depending on its amount, the color of the sputum itself also changes. You can also talk about the development of the patient's chronic forms of disease.
Many people the appearance of green sputum when coughing is perceived as a secretion of pus, but this is by no means always true. In fact, pus is always mixed with mucus and in its pure form it can be seen only after the opening of the lung abscess. In addition, the appearance of pus becomes possible with purulent pleurisy.
The combination of a strong cough with purulent sputum occurs with various diseases, among which the most dangerous are lung cancer and tuberculosis. This is also noted in the abscess of lung and bronchial asthma. Another possible reason for the appearance of a strong cough with sputum sweat in the mornings is the reaction of the human body to external irritating factors. This is observed with the development of allergies. Most often, its cause is chemical products, in contact with which such symptoms manifest themselves.
Cough with green phlegm without temperature
Cough itself has a beneficial effect on the human body, because it helps to remove excess sputum from the body and foreign bodies that pollute the respiratory tract. Ultimately, this has a direct effect on the cure of an existing disease.
If there is a cough with green sputum without a rise in temperature, the reasons for this condition may be different. Most often, this occurs in smokers with a long history. The absence of temperature indicates that there is no infection in the body with which it will fight. At the same time, green secretions mean the development of the pathological process in the bronchi, caused by the action of nicotine.
In addition, the cause of a cough with green phlegm without a rise in temperature can be hidden in the development of inflammation in the bronchial system. However, in this case, sooner or later the temperature will begin to rise with the development of a painful condition. The appearance of green sputum indicates the need to consult a doctor about the reasons for its appearance in order to take the necessary precautions in time.
Green sputum when coughing: treatment
The isolation of green sputum when coughing is not uncommon when it comes to diseases of all kinds of bronchitis or respiratory viral infections. In addition, there were cases when such discharges were observed in the mornings for no apparent reason. So the respiratory system of the body can be cleansed spontaneously.
However, with increasing secretion secretion in the human body develops a pathological process, or it indicates the ingress of foreign objects and microorganisms into the respiratory tract. In such cases, sputum excretion takes the character of a pathological process and requires medical intervention for treatment.
Cough with green expectoration in adults
In an adult, the appearance of a cough with phlegm indicates that the body has an acute need for dilution of sputum and its withdrawal outside. There are many methods of treating this condition, and a specialist should be consulted for the correct choice of the technique used.
Most often in such cases an adult is shown to use drugs for expectoration, such as Lazolvan, Ambrobe, Bromhexin, Ambromgexal. In parallel, you can use medicinal herbs for medicinal purposes, which can contribute to expectoration and elimination of inflammatory processes. These can be breastfeeding, infusions of wild rosemary, St. John's wort, all sorts of herbal syrups. Effective in the fight against green sputum emissions, the use of compresses, which use cans, mustard plasters, as well as the imposition of a grated black radish wrapped in gauze. In addition, radish juice can be used separately and in combination with honey and sugar in different proportions.
Adult people with green sputum are recommended to use inhalers and nebulizers for inhalation. With a medical prescription, repeat such procedures should be at least five times a day.
Green sputum when coughing in a child
Depending on the cause that caused the allocation of green sputum when coughing in a child, the method of treatment is selected. If it is accurately established that the cause of a child's condition is the effect of a viral infection on him, should competently care for the patient and determine the treatment appropriate to the symptoms that have a place. Therapy should be started in time to avoid the attachment of a bacterial infection, in which the principles of treatment will already be different. If it is determined that the allocation of green sputum in a child is caused by the action of a bacterial infection, antibiotics should be used for treatment. Moreover, the selection of drugs should be made in accordance with medical recommendations.
If the cause of the allocation of green sputum in a child is bronchitis, he should be assigned to receive mucolytic or expectorant funds. Their action ensures the liquefaction of the secret and its excretion outside. Anti-cough drugs should not be used because they do not excrete phlegm, but only block it in the airways.
In the event that the cause of allocation of a child's green sputum when coughing is tuberculosis, cancer or pulmonary edema, it should be treated in a hospital hospital. The sooner a morbid condition is established, the better in the end it will be for the child, the faster it will be fashionable to begin treatment and more efficiently to carry it out.
Green sputum without cough
The isolation of green sputum without a cough is not in itself a separate disease. This is just a signal that a foci of inflammation has settled in the human body. Symptoms in this case are simple - a person begins to feel a lump in the throat, there may be pain while swallowing, but there is no serious discomfort.
If the discharge of green sputum is not accompanied by a cough, as well as a rise in temperature, pain in the throat and wheezing in the lungs, you can try to eliminate the condition by carrying out local treatment. It is not necessary to use medicines, because there is no special need for this.
A good effect is the treatment with herbs, thanks to their mild action the process itself proceeds painlessly. The duration of the treatment course should not be more than a month. Eliminates the likelihood of the spread of diseased bacteria and viruses in the body, the throat is cleared.
In the event that green sputum without a cough is observed for a week or more, the patient should be examined at the clinic. It involves conducting a medical examination and passing tests to determine the cause of what is happening. The results determine the cause of sputum production and appropriate treatment is prescribed.
Green sputum when coughing
The appearance of a cough with a disease indicates the presence of an inflammatory process in the respiratory or nasopharyngeal organs. By the nature and frequency of cough, you can determine which organ is affected and what kind of pathology is present.
A detailed study of the nature of the cough along with other symptoms can help to put the right diagnosis, and therefore, contributes to the appointment of adequate treatment and rapid recovery.
Cough can be dry and wet with exudation. Sputum or secretory fluid in the body of a healthy person is secreted in a small amount, has no color and carries a protective function. In the body of the patient, its number increases, and it begins to change color. Green sputum when coughing means that it infects pathogens from the focus of infection in the respiratory or nasopharyngeal organs, as well as a sputum of a different color.
In the pathological inflammatory process, the color of the expectorant mucus may differ and be indicative of various diseases.For example, sputum with red patches may indicate the presence of a patient with tuberculosis or oncology, and vitreous mucus - about the disease with bronchial asthma.
But most often there is a cough with yellow phlegm. Liquid yellow exudate is a sign of a viral disease.
A thick pale yellow or yellow mucus when coughing indicates the presence of bacterial infection and suppurative inflammation. Green sputum when coughing means that the inflammation is stagnant.
Stagnation of mucus can occur with genyantritis, triunebronchitis, bronchitis acute or chronic during an exacerbation, pneumonia, purulent pleurisy or abscess of the lungs.
All these diseases are accompanied by a productive cough, and arise from penetration into the body airborne by Gram-positive and Gram-negative coccal or other types of bacteria, virus or fungus. And if at the beginning of the disease expectorated sputum is more often a yellowish shade, then on the 4th-5th day of the current illness with insufficient treatment or lack of it, it becomes purulent-green and even unpleasant smell.
In addition to productive cough, infectious diseases of the respiratory tract and nasopharynx may be accompanied by other symptoms: purulent mucous discharge from the nose, pain in the chest, shortness of breath, fever body.
The absence of a fever with a cough and green sputum may indicate either an inability body to fight infection itself, or about other causes of coughing, for example, nicotine pathology.
The presence of green sputum when coughing and lack of temperature - this is a serious reason to consult a doctor. Another important reason to consult a doctor is a protracted productive cough. Cough that does not go away for a month or less, but against the background of the treatment received, is called chronic and protracted.
Such cases of protracted cough require additional testing to find out the reasons for the occurrence and purpose of treatment in accordance with the results of the survey.To standard methods of diagnosis when coughing with green sputum - lung X-rays and blood analysis, with prolonged cough, it is necessary to add a laboratory analysis of sputum and blood for mycoplasma and chlamydia, bronchoscopy, spirometric examination of respiration rates, ultrasound of the lungs and chest, tomography, Mantoux test and histological examination for exclusion oncology.
Sputum green: how to treat itSputum green and the principles of its treatment for coughing in adults and children are similar.
Therapy should be carried out only after determining the preliminary cause of cough and in accordance with the individual characteristics of the body.
However, it is more difficult for children to establish the cause of this cough, especially in the absence of temperature.
Also, the effect of individual body characteristics on therapy for coughing with green sputum in children is significantly higher than in adults. Some medications recommended for the treatment of moist cough in adults are contraindicated in childhood.
In addition to infectious etiology, in children cough with sputum green can cause:
- whooping cough;
- infection of the body with parasites and worms;
- pathology of the digestive tract;
- allergic reactions;
- insufficient air humidity;
- hit of an alien object in the respiratory system;
- psychological reasons.
The system of therapy of productive cough is concentrated on several directions:
- Destruction of viruses, bacteria and fungi, which caused the disease.
- Sputum diffusion.
- Effective sputum discharge.
Based on this system, patients are assigned:
- Antibiotics, antiviral and antifungal drugs.
- Expectorants that reduce the density of phlegm.
- Mukoliticheskie means that contribute to the escape of diluted sputum.
In some cases, antihistamines are added to this scheme. Limit cough and suppress this reflex in the therapy of productive coughs categorically impossible. To achieve maximum effect, it is recommended to combine medicinal preparations of synthetic origin and phytotherapy.
Many herbal antitussive preparations, for example, with plantain, are combined, which allows for simultaneous to facilitate the course of the inflammatory process, to promote liquefaction and sputum and to get rid of any cough origin. The versatility of phytopreparations makes it possible to effectively use them in the treatment of cough in children and adults.
Expectorant medications have a different principle of action: resorptive and reflex. Preparations of the first group act on the bronchi, liquefying and excreting sputum directly through the blood, and the means of the second group, which include some essential oils, licorice, althae and others, stimulate the receptors of the stomach, salivary glands and bronchial mucosa, promoting liquefaction mucus.
What to do if clearing up green sputumAll medications for the treatment of a damp cough should be taken strictly according to the doctor's prescription in exactly the indicated dosage. However, people can also alleviate the condition of the patient who expects green sputum.
There is an alternative therapy when coughing green sputum cough:
- A warming cocktail made with fresh strong tea, salt, butter and 1/4 cup of milk. It must be drunk with hot and small sips.
- Compress of pounded with soda boiled potatoes or black bread with honey. Such compresses effectively warm, promote liquefaction of exudate and help to fall asleep.
- Mustards have a similar effect to compresses.
- Circular massage of the thorax. It must be done often, but smoothly, while rubbing the cough remedy with essential oils.
- Inhalations increase the outflow of mucus, reducing the phenomenon of stagnation. Good help when coughing with green sputum inhalation with soda, salt or on decoction of pine buds. Breathe in a concentrated steam slowly and deeply, covered with a blanket. Very small children are not recommended for inhalation.
- Decoctions of herbs, herbal teas. Herbs that are part of ready-made pharmacy phytopreparations, you can brew yourself and drink during the day.
- Black radish juice with honey is considered very effective in productive cough.
A patient at home needs peace and copious drinking.
A large amount of liquid will help reduce the viscosity of mucus and its better expectoration.
To relieve nasal congestion and to avoid the flow of mucus in the nasopharynx into the bronchi and subsequent stagnation, as often as possible, rinse the nasal passage with saline. Also, fresh air is useful for patients, but walks should be short-lived, instead of walking you can ventilate each room separately.
The room should be sufficiently humid - dry air overdry mucous and irritates the cough center.
For the prevention of cough with green sputum it is necessary to consult a doctor in a timely manner and treat existing pathologies, preventing the occurrence of complications in the form of stagnant processes. For the general prevention of diseases of the respiratory tract and nasopharynx it is necessary: to strengthen immunity, to sleep enough, to eat variedly and qualitatively, to avoid stress, to be physically active..
The cause of phlegm: in the throat and bronchi, with cough and without cough, green, yellow, thick
Under sputum, health professionals understand the secret, which is allocated by the cells of the bronchi, where the contents of the nose and its sinuses are mixed, as well as saliva. Normally, it is transparent and mucous, there are few, and it is only released in the morning in people who smoke, work in dusty production or live in dry air.
In these cases, it is called a tracheobronchial secret, not phlegm. With the development of the same pathologies in sputum may fall: pus, when in the airways there is bacterial inflammation, blood, when on the way from the nose to the end of the bronchi there was damage to the vessel, mucus in cases of inflammation of the non-bacterial character. This content can become more or less viscous.
Pathological processes as the causes of sputum congestion in the throat without a cough usually take place from the nasopharynx, where the contents of the nose and its adnexal sinuses drain to the trachea. If the disease affected deeper structures: trachea, bronchi or lung tissue, sputum production will be accompanied by cough (in young children, the analog of coughing can be vomiting with a lot of mucus or another content). Bronchitis and pneumonia can, of course, proceed without a cough, but then the separation of sputum will not bother here.
When sputum production is considered the norm
The mucous membrane of the bronchi consists of cells, on the surface of which there are cilia - microtubules, able to make movements (normally - upwards, to the trachea). Between the ciliate cells are small glands - goblet cells. They are 4 times smaller than ciliary, but they are not located so that after every four ciliated ones there is one goblet: there are sections consisting only of ones, or only from cells of the second type. The glandular cells are completely absent in the small bronchi and bronchioles. The goblet and ciliated cells are united by a common name - "mucociliary apparatus and the process of mucus movement in the bronchi and trachea is mucociliary clearance.Slime produced by goblet cells is the basis of phlegm. It is needed to remove from the bronchi those dust particles and microbes, which, in view of their microscopic size, were not noticed by cells with cilia that are in the nose and in the throat.
To the mucous membrane of the bronchi tightly fit the vessels. Out of them come out immune cells that control the absence of foreign particles in the air going to the lungs. Some cells of immunity are present in the mucosa itself. Their function is the same.
Therefore sputum, more precisely, a tracheobronchial secret, is also normal; without it, the bronchi would become covered from the inside with soot and impurities, would be constantly inflamed. Its amount is from 10 to 100 ml per day. It may contain a small amount of white blood cells, but it does not detect bacteria, atypical cells, or fibers contained in lung tissue. The secret is formed slowly, gradually, and when he reaches the oropharynx, a healthy person, without noticing, swallows this minimal amount of mucous contents.
Why can sputum be felt in the throat without a cough?
This is due to or increased secretion, or deterioration of its excretion. There are many reasons for these conditions. Here are the main ones:
- Work at enterprises with a high level of air pollution with silicate, coal or other particles.
- The irritation of the throat with alcoholic beverages, cold, spicy or hot food can cause a feeling of sputum without a cough. In this case, there is no indisposition, no breathing loss, no other symptoms.
- Pharyngo-laryngeal reflux. This is the name of the casting of the contents of the throat where the ingredients of the stomach, which do not have a pronounced acidic environment, are closer to the respiratory throat. Other symptoms of this condition are a sore throat, cough.
- Acute antritis. The main symptoms will be worsening of the condition, fever, headache, allocation of copious amounts of snot. These symptoms come to the fore.
- Chronic sinusitis. Most likely, this pathology will be described as "phlegm in the throat without a cough." It is manifested by difficulty in nasal breathing, deterioration of smell, fatigue. Dense sputum is released from the sinuses into the pharynx, and this happens constantly.
- Chronic tonsillitis. Here the person is worried about "sputum bad breath, on the tonsils can be seen whitish masses, which can themselves and with certain movements of the muscles of the mouth stand out, their smell is unpleasant. The throat does not hurt, the temperature can be increased, but - within 37-3, ° C.
- Chronic catarrhal rhinitis. Here, without exacerbation, the nose lays only in the cold and then - one half; sometimes a small amount of mucous discharge is released from the nose. When exacerbation there are thick, abundant snot, they create a feeling of phlegm in the throat.
- Chronic hypertrophic rhinitis. Here the main symptom is the difficulty of breathing with the nose, its one half, because of what a person may be bothered by a headache in this half. Also, the sense of smell and taste worsen, and a slight nasal appearance appears. The separable accumulates in the throat or is released to the outside.
- Vasomotor rhinitis. In this case, a person can periodically "catch" sneezing attacks, which occurs after itching in the nose, mouth or throat. Nasal breathing is intermittent from time to time, and liquid mucus is released from the nose or into the pharyngeal cavity. These seizures are associated with sleep, can occur after a change in air temperature, fatigue, acute food intake, emotional stress or increased blood pressure.
- Pharyngitis. Here phlegm in the throat arises against the background of persecution or pain in it. More often still, the sum of these sensations causes a cough, which is either dry, or there is a small amount of liquid phlegm.
- Sjogren's syndrome. At the same time, there is a decrease in the production of saliva, and because of dry mouth it seems that sputum accumulates in the throat.
Sputum color without cough
This criterion can be suspected:
- mucous white sputum testifies in favor of fungal (more often - candidiasis) tonsillitis;
- transparent sputum with white veins can accompany chronic catarrhal pharyngitis;
- sputum green, thick, may indicate chronic hypertrophic pharyngitis;
- and if the sputum is yellow, and there is no coughing, it speaks in favor of the purulent process of the upper respiratory tract (rhinitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis).
If sputum is felt only in the morning
Sputum in the morning can talk about:
- reflux-esophagitis - throwing the contents of the stomach into the esophagus and throat. In this case, there is a weakness of the circular muscle, which should not miss what was in the stomach, back. Accompanying this pathology is usually heartburn, which occurs when taking a horizontal position after a meal, as well as periodically arising belching air or acidic contents. Occurring during pregnancy and accompanied by constant heartburn, is its symptom associated with the compression of the abdominal cavity by a pregnant uterus;
- chronic sinusitis. Symptoms: difficulty in nasal breathing, deterioration of smell until its complete absence, mucus in the throat;
- chronic bronchitis. In this case, the sputum is mucopurulent (yellow or yellow-green), accompanied by weakness, low body temperature.
- be the first sign of acute bronchitis. There is an increase in temperature, weakness, deterioration of appetite;
- developing in the spring-autumn period, talk about bronchiectasis. Other symptoms are malaise, fever. In summer and winter, a person feels relatively good again;
- appearing against the background of heart diseases, evidence of their decompensation, that is, the appearance of stagnation in the lungs;
- developing in young children, talk about adenoiditis. In this case, the nasal breathing is disturbed, the children breathe through the mouth, but there is no temperature or signs of acute respiratory infections.
If a person observes the appearance of a cough after which sputum is released, it indicates a disease of the trachea, bronchi or lungs. It can be acute and chronic, inflammatory, allergic, neoplastic or to be stagnant. One can only diagnose the presence of sputum: examination, listening to pulmonary noise, X-ray image (and sometimes computer tomography) of the lungs, sputum analysis - general and bacteriological.
In some way, the color of the sputum, its consistency and the smell will help you to get the diagnosis.
Sputum color when coughing
If a phlegm is yellow when it coughs, it can talk about:
- purulent process: acute bronchitis, pneumonia. To distinguish these states is possible only according to instrumental studies (X-ray or computer tomography of the lungs), since the symptoms are the same;
- presence of a large number of eosinophils in the lung or bronchial tissue, which also indicates eosinophilic pneumonia (then the color is yellow, like a canary);
- sinusitis. There is bad breathing with the nose, separation of not only phlegm, but also snot of yellow mucus-purulent nature, headache, malaise;
- bronchial asthma. The disease is characterized by exacerbations when difficulty in breathing is noted (it is difficult to exhale) and audible rattles in the distance, and remissions when the person feels satisfactory;
- yellow liquid sputum with a small amount of mucus, which appeared against the background of icteric staining of the skin (with hepatitis, tumor, cirrhosis of the liver, or overlapping of the biliary tract with a stone) suggests that a lesion has occurred light;
- yellow ocher refers to siderosis, a disease that occurs in people working with dust, which contains iron oxides. With this pathology, there are no special symptoms other than coughing.
Sputum yellow-green color speaks of:
- purulent bronchitis;
- bacterial pneumonia;
- be a normal symptom after tuberculosis, which was cured by specific drugs.
If the rusty color separates from the cough, this indicates that in the respiratory tract There was a trauma to blood vessels, but the blood, until it reached the mouth, was oxidized, and hemoglobin became hematin. This can be for:
- a strong cough (then there will be streaks of rusty color, which will disappear after 1-2 days);
- pneumonia, when inflammation (purulent or viral), melting the lung tissue, led to damage to blood vessels. There will be: fever, shortness of breath, weakness, vomiting, lack of appetite, sometimes - diarrhea;
If the mucus is brown, this also indicates the presence of the "old oxidized blood in the airways:
- if the lungs had such, almost always congenital pathology, like bullae (cavities filled with air). If such a bull lay near the bronchus, and then ruptured, brown sputum will separate. If the air still gets into the cavity of the pleura, there will be shortness of breath, a feeling of lack of air that can build up. The "sick" half of the chest is not breathing, and during the rupture of bulla there was pain;
- gangrene of the lung. Here, a significant deterioration of the general condition comes to the fore: weakness, blurred consciousness, vomiting, high fever. Sputum is not only brown, but also has a putrid smell;
- pneumoconiosis - a disease that occurs due to industrial (coal-stone, siliceous) dust. Characteristic pain in the chest, first a dry cough. Gradually, bronchitis becomes chronic, often leads to pneumonia;
- lung cancer. The disease does not make itself felt for a long time, coughing starts gradually. A person sharply grows thin, begins to sweat at night, it becomes more difficult for him to breathe;
- tuberculosis. There is weakness, sweating (especially nocturnal), lack of appetite, loss of body weight, prolonged dry cough.
Sputum from light green to dark green indicates that there is a bacterial or fungal process in the lungs. It:
- abscess or gangrene of the lung. Symptoms of pathologies are very similar (if it is an acute, and not a chronic abscess, the symptomatology of which is more scarce). This is a pronounced weakness, malaise, shortness of breath, chest pain, very high, almost unresponsive to febrifugal, body temperature;
- bronchiectatic disease. This is a chronic pathology associated with the expansion of the bronchi. It is characterized by a current with exacerbations and remissions. When exacerbation in the morning and after finding on the abdomen purulent sputum (green, yellow-green) departs. A person feels unwell, his temperature is elevated;
- actinomycotic process. In this case, there is a prolonged fever, malaise, mucus purulent greenish sputum;
- cystic fibrosis - a disease when almost all the secrets produced by the glands of the body become very viscous, poorly evacuated and inflamed. It is characterized by frequent pneumonia and inflammation of the pancreas, a lag in growth and body weight. Without a special diet and taking enzymes, such people can die from complications of pneumonia;
- sinusitis (its symptoms are described above).
Sputum white is characteristic for:
- ORZ: then the sputum is clear white, thick or foamy, mucous;
- lung cancer: it is not only white, but it has veins of blood. There are also weight loss, fatigue;
- bronchial asthma: it is dense, vitreous, excreted after a fit of coughing;
- heart diseases. The color of such sputum is whitish, the consistency is liquid.
Sputum diagnostics for consistency and odor
In order to evaluate this criterion, it is necessary to expectorate sputum in a transparent glass container, evaluate it immediately, and then remove it by covering it with a lid and letting it brew (in some cases, sputum may become exfoliated, which will aid in diagnosis).
- Mucous sputum: it is excreted, mainly in ARVI;
- Liquid colorless is characteristic of chronic processes developing in the trachea and pharynx;
- Frothy white or pinkish sputum is secreted with pulmonary edema, which can accompany both heart disease, and poisoning with inhalation gases, and pneumonia, and inflammation of the pancreas glands;
- Sputum of a mucopurulent nature can be excreted in tracheitis, angina, bacterial bronchitis, complicated cystic fibrosis and bronchiectasis;
- Vitreous: typical for bronchial asthma and bronchitis with an asthmatic component.
An unpleasant smell is characteristic of a complicated bronchoectatic disease, an abscess of the lung. Fetid, putrefactive odor is characteristic for gangrene of the lung.
If, during settling, sputum is divided into 2 layers, this is probably an abscess of the lung. If the layer is three (upper - foamy, then liquid, then - flaky), it can be a gangrene of the lung.
What does sputum look like in the main diseases?
Sputum for tuberculosis has the following characteristics:
- mucous consistency;
- Unnatural (100-500 ml / day);
- then appear veins of pus greenish or yellowish color, white impregnations;
- if there are cavities in the lungs that have broken the integrity of the tissue, blood streaks appear in the sputum: rusty or scarlet, more or less, up to pulmonary hemorrhage.
In bronchitis, sputum is mucopurulent, almost odorless. If the vessel is damaged, bright scarlet veins of blood enter the phlegm.
With pneumonia, if purulent fusion of blood vessels does not occur, the sputum is mucopurulent and yellow-green or yellow in color. If pneumonia is caused by the influenza virus, or the bacterial process has captured a large area, the discharge can be rusty or streaky with rusty or scarlet blood.
Sputum when asthma is mucous, viscous, whitish or transparent. Standing out after an attack of a cough, similar to molten glass, it is called vitreous.
What to do if you get sputum
- Seek medical advice. The first should be a therapist, then - an otolaryngologist (ENT) or pulmonologist. The direction to them will give the therapist. You also need to talk about the advisability of putting the sputum.
- Buy 2 sterile jars for delivery of phlegm. All this day to take a copious amount of warm liquid. In the morning, on an empty stomach, take 3 deep breaths and cough (not spit) the phlegm. In one jar you need more detachable (this should go to the clinical laboratory), in another - less (in the bacteriological laboratory).
- If the symptoms resemble tuberculosis, the delivery of sputum to the clinical laboratory, where the mycobacterium tuberculosis is detected under the microscope, it is necessary to produce three times.
- You do not need to do anything on your own. Maximum - to make inhalation with Berodual in the age-related dosage (if sputum was separated after coughing) or to dissolve an antiseptic of the type "Strepsils "Septotelet "Tharyngept" (if there was no coughing). Not knowing some of the nuances, for example, that when taking hemoptysis to take mucolytics (ATSTS, carbocysteine) it is impossible, it is possible to do much harm to your body.
Cough with phlegm
Medical specialists apply to such a concept as cough with phlegm, the term "productive." This means that during the coughing episode, the production of bronchial tubes is allocated - mucus secretions, which are excreted with coughing movements outward.
It is believed that such discharge is a sign of purging the pulmonary system, and therefore one of the symptoms of an early recovery. Nevertheless, it should not be forgotten that the presence of mucous secretions may also indicate the development of serious diseases, for example, bronchial asthma, pneumonia, oncology of the respiratory system, ischemic disease heart.
Causes of cough with phlegm
Excretions during expectoration can appear exclusively in respiratory tract diseases, representing the result of increased production and secretion of bronchi (during bronchitis or asthma), the effusion of blood plasma from the vasculature into the pulmonary cavity (during pulmonary edema), the release of pus from the cavities (with abscess, tuberculous caverns, bronchiectasis).
The most common reasons are:
- upper respiratory tract infections (respiratory viral infections and pathologies);
- obstructive form of bronchial inflammation;
- allergic conditions, including bronchial asthma;
- abscess of the lungs;
The exact reason for triggering a cough reflex can only be determined by a diagnostic method, while Of great importance is the characterization of bronchial secretions, as well as the presence of other associated symptoms.
Is sputum cough phlegm?
Is it contagious if it coughs productively? This question is often of interest to many patients, especially the mothers of small children who doubt about whether it is possible to lead a child into the kindergarten, if the seizures become productive and began to clear slime.
It is worth noting that cough syndrome is contagious regardless of whether it is wet or dry if it is caused by a viral infection. On average, the period of "infectiousness" (in medicine - contagiousness) of a viral disease varies from 5 to 10 days from the time of the onset of the first symptoms. However, some diseases can be dangerous for others for a longer period:
- diphtheria - up to 2 weeks;
- whooping cough - up to 18 days from the onset of the illness. As a rule, after 28 days, the patient who has recovered whooping cough will not be exactly dangerous, even if the coughing trouble continues to bother the patient.
Therefore, it is not entirely correct to believe that if a child has a temperature stabilized and a mucous secret has appeared, then the risk of infecting other children is canceled. The virus often continues to exist in the body and is released by the patient when exhaled and sneezed.
Symptoms of coughing with phlegm
As the symptoms of the disease progress with the accumulation of excretions of the bronchial tree, it becomes necessary to purify the respiratory tract from the accumulated secretion. In this case, a cough reflex works-a call for a sharp exhalation of the air, due to irritation of the bronchial walls with a mucous secretion.
When there is an abundance of mucus, it is important to distinguish the cleansing process from the transition of the inflammatory pathology to the chronic form.
Usually coughing movement originates from a sharp and deep breath, which lasts no more than 2 seconds. After that, the guttural musculature, covering the vocal chink, is also sharply reduced. Bronchial muscles instantly come to tone, the abdominal muscles contract - this action of the muscle fibers is aimed at overcoming the resistance of the closed vocal cicle. At this time, the pressure within the chest cavity is about 100 mm Hg. Art. Next, there is a sudden opening of the glottis and an exhaled exhalation. Basically, if the bronchi have accumulated secretions, the cough reflex is triggered involuntarily, but the patient himself is able to trigger it independently.
As a rule, the cough and cramping of the bronchi by itself are not a disease - they are just symptoms of another disease, which is important to detect and cure. Do not ignore other signs that indicate the presence of the disease:
- difficulty breathing, shortness of breath;
- temperature increase;
- loss of appetite;
- pain inside the chest;
- wheezing when breathing;
- change in color and other properties of sputum.
Cough with expectoration during pregnancy
In pregnancy, any disease is perceived extremely negatively: still, it is not known how the disease will affect fetus, as well as pregnancy itself, and medications throughout this period should be taken very selectively. However, there is an indisputable fact that in pregnant women immunity is clearly weakened, so ARD with ARVI during gestation, unfortunately, is not uncommon.
Cough syndrome during pregnancy is also often found: it is not only possible to treat it, but it is also necessary. Illiterate or untimely treatment can pose a serious threat to pregnancy. First of all, coughing jerks can provoke an increased tone of the uterus, which can lead to painful spasms and even detachment. At the same time, arterial and intra-abdominal pressure increases, which can provoke miscarriage at early stages or premature birth at later stages of gestation.
When respiratory illnesses, it is necessary to see a doctor, and not only: it will be better if the woman remembers the doctor for any anxious or suspicious symptoms. It should be borne in mind that coughing attacks and mucus secretion from the bronchi can accompany not only a cold, but also diseases of the stomach, thyroid, heart. Do not start treatment yourself, let the medical specialist do it.
Types of phlegm on coughing
Bronchial mucous accumulations are pathological excretions that go out in the process of coughing tremors from the respiratory tract. In healthy people, too, mucus is produced inside the bronchi: this mucus performs a protective function, not allowing dust, chemicals and bacteria to penetrate to the lungs. If the amount of this mucus increases, pus with other impurities is added to it, then it is usually said about the appearance of moist discharge. Allocation is divided into several types, which depends on their number, color, odor, density, multilayeredness.
Let's talk about the types of mucous secretions for respiratory diseases.
- Green sputum when coughing is usually a companion of many inflammatory pathologies involving the bronchi and lungs. Such diseases can be provoked by a bacterial and viral infection, or have an allergic nature. To the listed diseases carry protracted bronchitis, croupous pneumonia, bronchial asthma, tuberculosis, oncology, etc. As a rule, green dense mucus is a sign of a stagnant purulent process in the lungs.
- Cough with hard-to-recover sputum appears most often as a consequence of ARVI or ARI, and can also be the result of stagnant phenomena in the lungs. If the slimy secret has too dense consistency and viscosity, then it is difficult for him to get out of the respiratory pathways, it accumulates inside the bronchi, provoking constant coughing, not bringing relief.
- Blood in sputum when coughing can appear as a result of a small and harmless bleeding from the capillary vessels of the bronchial tree, which could burst during a coughing attack, and due to serious disease. Therefore, the presence of blood should alert, especially if such a sign is present for several days, or if the discharge contains a large amount of blood. Do not forget that the admixture of blood can get to a secret from patients with tonsils, nasopharynx, bleeding gums.
- Yellow sputum when coughing - this is the result of the appearance of pus in the secretions. Most often this is a sign of an incomplete bronchitis, or its transition to a chronic form. If you continue to neglect treatment, then over time, such a secret can change the color from straw-yellow to rusty or green (an obvious sign of a purulent process).
- Cough with purulent sputum often indicates the development of stagnation inside the lungs, especially if the discharge becomes much thicker. Broncham becomes difficult to remove the purulent secret, which accumulates and can acquire an unpleasant smell and taste. As a rule, without therapy with antibiotics in this situation can not do.
- White sputum when coughing is potentially able to appear with inflammation of the lungs. If the white secret is secreted by lumps, or resembles cottage cheese, then this unambiguously means that the causative agent of pneumonia is a fungal infection. In this situation, antibiotics will not help: special anti-fungal therapy will be needed.
- Black sputum when coughing is in most cases a professional sign - such excretions are typical for miners, masons, excavators. To learn more about the presence or absence of the disease, you will have to pass the secret to the analysis.
- Gray sputum when coughing, as well as black, often accompanies respiratory illness in representatives Some professions, whose work is related to the presence in the air and inhalation of a large amount of dust with suspended particles. To the same category carry heavy smokers, inside the respiratory organs which are deposited nicotine gums, giving the secreted secretions a gray tint.
- Pink sputum when coughing is a sign of the presence of a small amount of blood inside the mucus. Most often this is the result of the bleeding of bursting capillaries, which can occur with too aggressive coughing attacks. However, for such pink discharge it is necessary to observe: if they last more than 3 days, or change color to intense red, then you should immediately contact a specialist.
- Red sputum when coughing indicates the appearance of blood in the discharge. This can be considered as hemoptysis in tuberculosis, actinomycosis, oncology of the respiratory system, with abscess, pulmonary infarction, heart failure or pulmonary edema. This condition is considered very dangerous and requires immediate medical attention. In rare cases, redness of the secretion may be caused by taking certain medications.
- Transparent sputum when coughing is the most innocuous kind of mucous secretions. Usually such a sign accompanies the onset of respiratory illnesses, when complications are still absent, and the disease can be cured without any negative consequences. Nevertheless, if the mucus is viscous, "vitreous this may be a sign of bronchial asthma.
- Frozen sputum when coughing occurs with anthrax or pulmonary edema. Both that, and other disease are considered very serious, that demands the immediate reference to the doctor.
- Dense sputum during coughing usually appears at the initial stages of the transition of the dry process to wet, or with stagnant phenomena. To the mucous secret was not thick, use thinning medications, chest massage. It is also recommended to use a large amount of alkaline warm liquid.
As you can see, the characteristic of the secretions has the most important diagnostic value. No less important role is played by the description of coughing attacks, so we will dwell further on this symptom.
Types of cough syndrome
Wet cough syndrome is considered a natural physiological phenomenon, through which the accumulation of accumulated mucus from the tracheobronchial tree occurs. However, many are concerned that such a symptom is not always the same. Can this prove anything? In some cases, it really can, because manifestations of cough reflex are a valuable informative moment in setting the right diagnosis.
- A painful cough with phlegm is able to indicate that the mucus is too viscous to go out without hindrance. Therefore, in order to push out a thick discharge, the respiratory tract needs to exert much more effort, which causes soreness or even heaviness in the course of the bronchi. To facilitate the release of mucus, use medications that dilute it.
- Cough with viscous sputum is often characteristic of croupous pneumonia, an inflammatory reaction in the respiratory system. With properly prescribed treatment, after a short time, such mucus becomes liquid, begins to expectorate well.
- Coughing spells with phlegm can be observed with a large accumulation of mucus in the bronchi. If there are many discharges, they gradually begin to irritate the bronchial walls, which provokes a coughing attack. Such an attack continues until all the discharges leave the airway. Then the accumulation occurs anew, and the process repeats. To ensure that mucus does not accumulate in large quantities, it is recommended to periodically move, walk around the room, do light gymnastics. Massage of the chest is useful.
- Cough after eating with phlegm is often not a sign of respiratory diseases. He has other causes associated with the pathology of the digestive system. This symptom is characteristic for peptic ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux, as well as other gastrointestinal diseases. To clarify the diagnosis, it is better to consult a gastroenterologist.
- Cough with phlegm without temperature is a characteristic symptom of ARI or viral infection in patients with weakened immunity. The absence of fever at this stage is not an excuse for ignoring the disease. Treatment is prescribed accordingly with other available symptoms.
- Cough with phlegm and a temperature of 37 ° C is considered one of the typical signs of ARI. This temperature is not dangerous, it does not require the appointment of antipyretic drugs. Moreover, the use of tablets and potions that "knock down" the temperature is highly discouraged in this situation. Temperature values of about 37-3, ° C mean that immunity works, and the body struggles with the disease on its own. In this case, you do not need to interfere.
- An allergic cough with sputum is less common than without it. Usually it is not accompanied by an increase in temperature, there may be a runny nose. If the bronchial secretion is excreted, then, as a rule, it does not contain an admixture of pus or blood - the clearing is transparent. Attacks occur more often at night or after contact with an allergen: animal hair, dust, pollen, etc. 8.
- Cough with phlegm and runny nose - a common occurrence in ARVI or with allergies. It is necessary to distinguish these two diseases: in ARVI often there is a fever, and with allergies it should not be.
- Dyspnoea and cough with phlegm in many cases mean the initial stage of bronchial asthma. This disease consists in worsening patency of the bronchi due to bronchospasm, inflammatory puffiness of mucous membranes, ingestion of bronchial mucus. All these factors have the complex name "obstruction of the bronchi". Shortness of breath with worsening of the condition occurs paroxysmally: in the intervals between attacks the patient usually feels quite satisfactory.
- Cough of the smoker with phlegm - heavy, with wheezing, occurs more in the morning. Slime from the bronchi can be light, sometimes with a gray tint, with an unpleasant smell of nicotine gums. The cough reflex works in response to irritation of the bronchial walls with cigarette smoke, the obstruction of bronchioles with tobacco resins, and the accumulation of a protective secret in the respiratory system. It is observed regularly, almost constantly, can be accompanied by inflammatory processes (chronic) of the trachea, bronchi, larynx.
- Cough with phlegm in the morning is observed with bronchiectasis, chronic bronchitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and smokers with experience. To establish the cause of morning bouts, it is often necessary to check not only the respiratory system, but also the organs digestion, since often the mucus inside the lungs is a secretion of the stomach, abandoned by night sleep inside the respiratory ways. This happens during diseases of the esophagus - reflux-esophagitis.
- Night cough with phlegm occurs in bronchial asthma, cardiac insufficiency, sinusitis, pertussis. When diagnosing this type of coughing, attention should also be paid to other symptoms: soreness inside the chest or heart, color of discharge, temperature, runny nose.
- Bark cough with sputum may be a sign of obstructive bronchitis, pertussis, false croup, which is often found in children of childhood. In adults, it can be a sign of pharyngitis, laryngitis, and inflammatory process in the bronchi and (or) in the trachea.
- Coughing up to vomiting with sputum in children is common, as the cough and vomiting center is almost there. Therefore, even a mild attack can provoke the appearance of vomiting, especially if the baby has recently eaten. In adult patients, such a reaction may be a sign of disturbances in the digestive system, namely, peptic ulcer.
- A persistent cough with sputum is a clear sign of chronic damage to the respiratory system. This condition can be observed in heavy smokers, in persons working inside dusty unventilated premises or in chemical industries, as well as in patients who did not receive acute treatment bronchitis. Chronic diseases of the respiratory system are more difficult to treat. If the disease is associated with a professional activity, a change of place of work may be mandatory.
- Paroxysmal cough with phlegm is a frequent satellite of allergy, for example, bronchial asthma. During seizures, the patient experiences shortness of breath may secrete a mucous transparent secret from the bronchi. In breaks between attacks of the patient, as a rule, nothing disturbs - he feels almost healthy.
As can be seen, a cough reflex with secretion can be observed with various lesions of the trachea, bronchi, lungs, larynx, heart or digestive system. Therefore, it is very, very difficult to determine the cause of the indisposition independently. Trust a good doctor: a comprehensive diagnosis will help determine the disease in time to begin treatment of respiratory problems.
Who to contact?Pulmonologist General practitioner Family doctor
Diagnosis of cough with phlegm
The collection of data on the history of the disease is of great importance for the diagnosis of respiratory pathologies. The doctor will start by receiving the following information:
- When did the disease begin?
- Did other diseases, such as viral infections, precede him?
- Is the seasonality of the pathology traced, are there any seizures of shortness of breath or shortness of breath?
- Are there additional symptoms, such as a runny nose, stuffy nose, heartburn, stomach pain, etc.?
- Is there a temperature increase?
- What is special about bronchial secretions? What color are they? Is there a smell?
- Are there chronic diseases, bad habits?
- What are the features of professional work?
- Is there a tendency to allergies?
- Did the patient take ACE inhibitor drugs (captopril, enalapril, prestarium, etc.)?
After finding out the anamnesis, the doctor proceeds to a number of additional studies.
- Physical examination (general examination). Includes the detection of signs of heart disease, examination of the mouth, throat. The doctor pays attention to the increase in lymph nodes, the presence of free nasal breathing, the purity of the surface of the tongue and tonsils. Conducts audition of the lungs for the presence of wheezing, whistles, crepitations, as well as the nature of the listed symptoms.
- Chest x-ray. It is performed to detect neoplasms and tuberculosis changes inside the lungs, and bronchiectasis and sarcoidosis can also be detected.
- Evaluation of the functionality of external respiration - allows to detect bronchial obstruction, interstitial lung diseases, bronchial asthma.
- Analysis of bronchial secretions with microscopy of the material. Smears are stained by Gram and Tsil-Nielsen, mucus sowing and cytological examination are carried out.
- Instrumental methods of research. Methods of bronchoscopy with cytology and histology are used (mainly if there is a suspicion of oncological disease), biopsy of suspicious tissues, transbronchial lung biopsy, CT scan.
The diagnosis is based on a set of studies, based on the results of a general examination, analyzes of the coughing material and instrumental assessment of the state of the respiratory system.
Treatment of cough with phlegm
Some believe that if bronchial mucus is released, the disease does not need treatment. This is a great misconception. Treatment at this stage is mandatory. It should be aimed at facilitating the diversion of excreta and the elimination of the underlying disease.
If the discharge is poorly expectorated and remains in the bronchial cavity for a long time, it can lead to bacterial complications. Therefore, the most used medicines in this situation are expectorant medications, mucolytics and combined agents. Some of them make slime more liquid, while others control its production in order to produce exactly the amount of excreta that the organism can take out most easily.
Dilution of sputum during coughing can occur with the use of expectorants:
- plant (based on plants) - are represented by pectusin, solutane, tussin, piles, syrup "Doctor Mom
- synthetic - are represented by bromhexine, lazolvanom, ambroksolom, ATSTS.
Herbal preparations may have fewer side effects, but they are more likely to cause allergies, especially in pediatric patients. All this must be taken into account when choosing the means of treatment.
Treatment for a cough with hard-to-recover sputum should be done only with expectorants and mucolytic medications. In no case can you use antitussive drugs - they block the cough reflex, and hard to remove mucus in general ceases to be excreted. As a result, we get the accumulation of mucus inside the bronchi and lungs, the attachment of bacterial infection and complications, sometimes in the form of pneumonia. Choose medication carefully, after consulting with a doctor. We remind you that such medications should dilute and facilitate the excretion of bronchial mucus, cleaning the respiratory tract from the inside. Simultaneously, the main disease is treated, symptomatic treatment, immunostimulating therapy is carried out.
Means for coughing sputum
If the mucus from the bronchi is difficult to separate and removed, doctors recommend drinking plenty of warm liquid, including herbal teas and compotes. Apply medications that eliminate inflammation, having an enveloping, expectorant and bronchodilator effect, reducing the sensitivity of bronchial walls, increasing the cough threshold. If not contraindicated, you can use steam inhalation with the addition of various drugs and herbs. Inhalations help moisturize the mucous membrane, calm pain, improve the composition of mucus, relax smooth bronchial muscles.
At the same time, medicines based on thermopsis or ipecacuan should not be used in early childhood, since they can stimulate increased irritation of the respiratory system and the appearance of vomiting.
Let's consider the most effective means in more detail.
Inhalations with a spit with sputum often involve the use of herbal remedies: leaves of eucalyptus, sage, calendula, chamomile, St. John's wort, as well as preparations of Salvin and Romazulona. With inhalations of steam, it is recommended to use phytoncides - all known onions or garlic, the proportion: 0. In the pharmacy you can buy onion tincture on alcohol - it is used for the amount of 25 cap / 100 ml of pure water. A good effect is expected from such simple means that use on, l of water:
- sea salt or baking soda (1 h. l.);
- essential oil 10 cap. (eucalyptus, mint, needles, anise, peach);
- balm "Asterisk" - on the tip of the spoon.
You can use oils for inhalation - from sea buckthorn, olives, rose hips, rosemary.
Cough medicines with sputum are divided into several categories:
- products based on bromhexine (Bromhexin, Ascoril, Solvin);
- funds based on ambroxol (Ambrobe, Ambrosal, Flavamed, etc.);
- drugs based on carbocisteine (Bronhobos, Fluviert);
- means based on acetylcysteine (ACTS, Fluimutsil);
- vegetable preparations based on althea, anise, elecampane, plantain, etc. (Mukaltin, Pectussin, Bronchikum, etc.). •
Tablets from cough with phlegm:
- Carbocysteine - stabilizes the consistency of mucus, contributes to its exit from the broncho-pulmonary system. Assign 2 capsules three times a day, with the improvement go to 1 capsule three times a day;
- Likorin - normalizes the secretion of the bronchial glands, relaxes the spasmodic smooth muscle structures of the bronchi. Take ½ or a whole tablet 3 to 4 times a day after eating;
- Likvitorit - a drug of licorice, eliminates inflammation, spasm, improves expectoration. Assign 1-2 tablets up to 4 times a day for half an hour before meals;
- Mukaltin - a preparation of an althaea, a soft expectorant. Apply orally 1-2 tablets up to 3 times a day before meals. •
Antibiotics for coughing with sputum are prescribed only in advanced cases of the disease, as well as with suspected complications. In most cases, the following antibiotics are considered effective:
- penicillin series is represented by amoxicillin (Flemoxin), augmentin, amoxiclav, ampicillin and others. The listed medicines perniciously act on the majority of bacteria which cause an inflammatory reaction in the respiratory organs. If one of these drugs does not show the expected effect, it is replaced by another belonging to another group of antibiotics;
- fluoroquinolone series is represented by levofloxacin, moxifloxacin (Avelox). Such drugs are usually prescribed if antibiotics from a number of penicillins are ineffective;
- the cephalosporin series is represented by cefuroxime (also Zinnat, Aksetin), cefixime (Suprax), etc. These antibiotics are often used to treat inflammatory processes in the bronchi, lungs, pleura, etc .;
- macrolide series is represented by azithromycin (Sumamed), which is often taken with atypical pneumonia, where the pathogens are mycoplasma or chlamydia. •
Cough syrup with phlegm is a very popular remedy, especially in children's practice. Many syrups are analogous to tablets, with a similar composition and action. Children are more willing to take syrups: it is easier for them to swallow a sweet aromatic liquid than to swallow a bitter pill. To choose a syrup it is desirable, being guided by recommendations of the doctor:
- Linkas is a herbal medicine, it eliminates the fever, spasms of the respiratory system, improves the production of mucus by the bronchi. It is prescribed for pharyngitis, tracheobronchitis;
- vegetable syrup Suprima-Broncho - can be prescribed with laryngitis, pharyngitis, pneumonia, whooping cough, tracheobronchitis. May cause an allergic reaction;
- Syrup Lazolvan - a remedy from the group ambroksola. A very common and effective drug. Used for inflammation of the bronchi, lungs, bronchial asthma, congestion, bronchiectasias;
- Herbion - syrup from plantain. Treats inflammation of the respiratory system, helps even with a cough syndrome smoker;
- Bromheksin-syrup - mucolytic, promotes expectoration, thinning viscous mucus. Improves and facilitates the secretion of secretions;
- Erespal when coughing with phlegm - a syrup based on Fenspiride, an anti-bronchoconstrictor. Relieves spasms, eliminates inflammation, reduces the secretion of mucus by the bronchi. Actively used for bronchial asthma, bronchospasm, chronic bronchitis, pertussis, pharyngitis. Can be used in children from the moment of birth, from 2 hours. l. up to 6 tbsp. l. a day before meals. At reception there can be a drowsiness, frustration GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT. • \
Herbs from coughing with phlegm are the most acceptable treatment without medication. Pine kidneys, onion, garlic, marshmallow, mint, chamomile, plantain, mother-and-stepmother, St. John's wort, elephant, sage are used as components for the collections or therapeutic mixtures. Herbs can be used in the form of broths, infusions for inhalation, herbal teas for oral administration. A good effect is given by special breastfeeding, which can be purchased at any pharmacy. There are 4 types of such fees:
- No. 1 - althea rhizome, oregano, mother-stepmother leaf;
- №2 - mother-and-stepmother, plantain, rhizome of licorice;
- №3 - rhizome altea, anise, rhizome of licorice, pine buds, sage;
- №4 - chamomile color, Labrador tea, calendula, violet, rhizome of licorice, mint.
Vegetative components in these collections have complex mucolytic, expectorant, bronchodilating and anti-inflammatory effect. The secret begins to retire on time, the cough reflex is gradually docked.
Folk remedies for cough and phlegm
What other folk remedies are used in the treatment of respiratory diseases with expectoration of a secret:
- We put a whole lemon in water, boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool. Cut the lemon into 2 equal parts, squeeze the juice into which we add 2 tbsp. l. glycerin, top up to 200 ml with honey, mix. Accepted for 1 tbsp. l. received mass three times a day before meals and at bedtime.
- Mix the equal parts of freshly squeezed carrot juice, black radish and milk. We consume 6 times a day for 1 tbsp. l.
- Mix two chicken yolks, 2 tbsp. l. fresh butter, 2 h. l. natural honey, 1 hour. l. flour. We use the obtained mass for 1 hour. l. throughout the day, can be repeated.
- Take black radish (7 pcs.), Cut into slices, add a little sugar to each piece, leave it for 6 hours. The resulting juice is drained, then we take 1 tbsp. l. every 60 minutes.
- We prepare a kissel from a viburnum on honey, we drink during the day.
- We prepare the infusion of sage (1 tbsp. l. for 250 ml of hot water), we insist, filter, add equal amount of boiled milk. We drink 100 ml several times a day, with honey or sugar.
- Finely chopped, kg of onions, add 400 g of sugar and 40-60 g of honey, boil with 1 liter of water for 3 hours on low heat. Then cool it, drain the liquid. We consume 1 tbsp. l. about 5 times a day, it is possible during coughing seizures.
The use of folk remedies can be more effective if combined with inhalation by steam, using baking soda, medicinal herbs. A positive effect is observed when adding fir, cedar, eucalyptus oil to the fluid for inhalation. Such procedures are best done at night, before going to bed.
What if my cough does not go away with phlegm?
The appearance or intensification of the presence of pus in the mucous secretions, a significant increase in the amount of secretion, an increase in temperature indicators (preliminary signs of exacerbation) may be the reason for the earliest possible and soonest appointment antibiotic therapy. Begin such treatment with the use of ampicillin (1 g from 4 to 6 times a day), levomycetin (per, g four times per day), tetracycline, cefazolin, lincomycin.
To activate a protective immune mechanism, it is recommended to take vitamin drinks and multivitamin preparations. In order to stimulate the nonspecific resistance of the body, biogenic stimulants are used:
- an extract of aloe liquid injecting in / m or s / c of 1 ml per day for a month;
- biosedema IM injection 1 ml (2 ml) every day. For 20-30 days.
From herbal remedies it is recommended to add preparations from elderberry, nettle leaves, parsley root, willow bark.
If the condition steadily worsens, then there can be no question of independent treatment. Therapy should be carried out under the supervision of a doctor - therapist, pulmonologist, otolaryngologist, phthisiatrist.
Help with cough with phlegm
During an attack, the main type of help can be the acceleration of the removal of mucous secretions from the respiratory tract. In the laryngeal or bronchial cavity pathogenic microorganisms can accumulate, and they can be removed only with good expectoration. How quickly it will be possible to clear the respiratory tract from the secretions, so quickly the body will feel relief and begin to recover.
Simultaneously with the use of medicines prescribed by the doctor, the patient should drink a large amount of warm liquid to facilitate mucus evacuation. This will greatly improve the excretion of excreta and purification of the respiratory system. As drinking it is useful to use herbal teas based on lime flowers, dog rose, raspberry, currant, other medicinal plants.
If there is a mucous secret in the bronchi, then drugs that block the cough reflex should not be used. Such preparations include, for example, codeine, as well as all agents based on it.
You can give some advice to those who can not cope with the disease:
- monitor the humidity in the room (normal humidity should vary from 40 to 60%);
- if you smoke, drop it. Moreover, avoid smoky places;
- Avoid overcooling and sudden overheating, do not leave the hot room in frosty air;
- Avoid inhaling vapors of various chemical sprays, detergent-cleaners;
- Do not suppress the desire to clear your throat - so you clear the bronchi, making your condition easier.
Preventing cough with phlegm
The operation of the cough reflex is in most cases a symptom of the disease of the respiratory system, so its can be prevented if time to think about the prevention of respiratory diseases, such as bronchitis, SARS, acute respiratory disease, laryngitis, etc.
For prevention, factors that can provoke such diseases should be avoided: hypothermia, drafts, weakening of immunity, physical overload, stress, beriberi.
Avoid situations that can lead to irritation of the lungs: walk away from smoky, smoky, dusty and chemically treated rooms. Working with chemicals, lacquer-coloring substances can provoke the development of chronic respiratory damage. If being in such premises is inevitable, use appropriate protective measures - gauze dressings, respirators, etc.
If you are addicted to allergies or bronchial asthma, try to avoid provoking factors (contact with potential allergens).
Needless to say, smoking is one of the main factors in the appearance of chronic cough syndrome - very harmful for health in general. If you smoke, give up this habit. The rest can be advised to avoid places where people smoke. Passive smoking irritates the respiratory tract no less than smoking active.
A good preventive effect is provided by tempering the body. It is best to begin the procedure in the summer, when the body can easily tolerate temperature changes, and immunity in summer is considered more robust. Suitable for dousing with cool water, contrast showers, swimming in open water, air and sunbathing, outdoor sports. Winter hardening is better to do under the supervision of a specialist, because illiterate excessive cooling of the body can produce the opposite effect.
Prognosis of cough with phlegm
The prognosis directly depends only on the underlying disease, which triggered the cough reflex. If this symptom accompanies an acute viral or microbial infection of the respiratory system, then it is safely eliminated after the underlying disease has been cured.
If the cause of an attack is an allergy or the use of certain medications, then eliminating the allergen with substitution of drugs for others will help eliminate an unpleasant symptom.
A healthy lifestyle, adequate nutrition, lack of bad habits, active pastime can be the key to a favorable prognosis of respiratory diseases.
If the cough with phlegm is chronic, then getting rid of it will be more difficult - it can require complex complex treatment, often with the use of potent drugs and antibiotic therapy.
Yellow sputum when coughing is a dangerous symptom
Cough is a symptom of a certain disease that requires immediate treatment. But, as practice shows, not always people turn in time for help to a specialist, as a result of which a large amount of mucus accumulates in the bronchi. If it is for a long time, it acquires a yellow tinge. This symptom indicates that the body is in full swing inflammatory process, which can move to other organs.
By changing the color and consistency of sputum, one can judge the formation of pathological processes in the lungs. If there is clear and neobylaya sputum, then this is a clear sign of a viral disease.When it thickens and the presence of a yellow shade, it is necessary to clarify the data on the presence of bacterial infection in the lower respiratory tract.With a green shade and an unpleasant odor, stagnation of the lungs and progression of the inflammatory process are most often diagnosed. The presence of bloody veins is the first symptom of tissue decomposition in lung cancer or tuberculosis.
When the sputum is yellow during the cough, this is a clear sign of bronchitis (here the symptoms of purulent bronchitis are described), sinusitis (here the symptoms of purulent sinusitis are described). When a cough rarely visits the patient, but sputum is released, it is urgent to go to the clinic. Emergency help is needed when there is an impurity of blood and pus in the phlegm. After yellowness in sputum indicates the presence of pus.
Also, a cough with yellow sputum can occur in people who have a passion for smoking. The nature and shade of sputum indicates the cause of the formation of bronchitis. A yellow shade indicates that an infection has accumulated in the bronchi. Therapy of such patients should take place in a hospital at home. The scheme of treatment is determined by the doctor after the diagnosis. On the link you can read how to cure the smoker's cough.
In summary, the following diseases should be identified, during which yellow sputum is released without temperature:
- viral diseases;
- bronchial asthma;
- pulmonary edema;
- abscess of the lung;
- lung cancer.
If, in addition to yellow sputum, the patient still has a temperature rise, then this is a clear symptom of diseases such as pneumonia, tuberculosis. The temperature can also rise with the diseases mentioned above. If the indicators are not significant (up to 38 degrees), then panic early. When for a long time the temperature is above 38 degrees, and yellow sputum leaves, this is the reason for going to the doctor.
To accurately determine the nature of the inflammatory process, it is necessary to conduct a laboratory study. For these purposes, the patient surrenders his sputum, and the specialist studies it by microscopic and macroscopic methods.To conduct this analysis, you need to collect phlegm in the morning, but do not eat anything before that.Otherwise, you will not get the exact result. To ensure a minimum content of saliva, the patient must rinse the mouth with an antiseptic solution and boiled water. After this, collect the mucus in a special tank. If mucus is released in a small volume during the analysis, the patient is prescribed irritating inhalation. Here you can read more about inhalations with wet cough in children.
Get the most accurate information and the nature of yellow mucus can be with the help of bronchoscopy. It is carried out in a hospital setting. Thanks to this, it is possible to thoroughly examine the bronchi and trachea using special equipment. During this manipulation, mucus is obtained without the impurities of the bacteria of the mouth and saliva. For special cases it is necessary to conduct a thorough diagnosis.
Learn how to distinguish allergic rhinitis from colds.
Here you can read what to do if watery eyes and a runny nose.
What to do if pershit in the throat, folk remedies: http://prolor.ru/g/bolezni-g/pershenie/v-gorle-lechenie-narodnymi-sredstvami.html.
Treatment for cough with yellow sputum requires immediate treatment. The treatment regimen is made individually, taking into account the diagnostic results. As a rule, necessarily therapy presupposes expectorants that allow to clear lungs.
In the video - tells about the yellow sputum when coughing:
Mucolytics are used to dissolve mucus. Antibiotics are to be combated with a bacterial infection.
Thanks to mucolytics, which does not increase the amount of sputum, it is possible to dilute it and cleanse the lungs. Presented medications are prescribed for the treatment of bronchial asthma, bronchial inflammation, cystic fibrosis and other ailments of an inflammatory nature.
Expectorant medications help to excrete sputum from the upper respiratory tract, and also activate a cough reflex. To such preparations it is possible to carry:
- Sodium benzonate.
But do not self-treat these medicines. They are appointed by the doctor taking into account the individual characteristics of the patient.
To expand the bronchial tubes and mucus is easy to use it is necessary to use medications that increase the patency of the bronchi.
Eliminate the inflammatory process of the respiratory tract, one of the manifestations of which is yellow mucus, use antibiotics with a narrowly directed effect. Also in the process you can use medicines of a broad spectrum of antibacterial action.
One symptomatic therapy will not be enough, so it is absolutely necessary to carry out therapeutic measures aimed at treating the underlying ailment.
To facilitate the process of cleaning the lungs, you need to apply as much fluid as possible, moisten the air in the house, using a special device, to rest more.Such measures will improve the removal of yellow sputum and clear lungs and bronchi. If you began to worry about a fit of cough, then take a direct position. Thus, the lungs will be enlarged, and sputum will be better separated.
The video tells what it means if a dense yellow green sputum is released during coughing and the means of combating the disease are described:
To protect your body from the development of a disease that contributes to the formation of yellow sputum, you need protect your lungs from getting a different infection, you need to clean them with a special gymnastics. The complex of exercises should be compiled by your attending physician when he conducts an examination and examines the information obtained during the diagnosis. Perform the composed breathing exercises every day for 15-20 minutes.
Sputum yellow color may indicate a certain allergic reaction. In this case, the patient must take antihistamines and drugs to stabilize the membranes of mast cells. When swelling of the lungs, it is necessary to take diuretics and medications that reduce the foaminess of the sputum.
Yellow mucus is a very dangerous symptom, which indicates that the disease begins to progress. If you do not take medical measures in time, then it can end as a dangerous disease, like lung cancer. If you find the very first symptom of the disease you need to go to the clinic and undergo the necessary diagnostics. Perhaps, it will also be useful for you to know what medicines are taken with chronic bronchitis, how quickly to get rid of the common cold with folk remedies.
Mucus in case of cough - etiology of the diseaseMucus secreted by coughing can accumulate in the nasopharynx, bronchi or lungs. This happens for various reasons and is not always associated with respiratory diseases. Slime on cough irritates certain receptors and, speaking in simple nonmedical language, actively asks outside. It can be different in color and consistency, as well as in quantity. To come to the doctor for an appointment and say: "I'm coughing with mucus" is not enough. It should be explained when you have seizures, a dry or wet symptom they are accompanied, cause a rise in temperature and so on. In order to determine the etiology of phlegm, the specialist will prescribe laboratory tests.
Cough with mucus in a smoker
Inveterate smokers often note that they have yellow sputum when coughing. This happens most often in the morning. In this case, the attack does not stop until the person completely coughs. This is due to the constant irritation of the mucosa of the respiratory tract with resins and other harmful substances contained in nicotine products.
The tissues of the lungs and bronchuses of the smoker gradually undergo changes, which leads to chronic bronchitis and other more dangerous diseases. Among them, especially should be isolated lung cancer and emphysema, in which the smoker's cough also causes mucus from yellow to brownish hue.
When coughing mucus is released during bronchitis and pneumonia
If you have white or green mucus when you cough, and he himself is excruciating, debilitating and painful, a possible cause is pneumonia. This disease develops because of untreated colds and respiratory infections, and also as a result of severe hypothermia. The color of mucus in pneumonia can range from clear and white to green, periodically acquiring a brownish-yellow hue. Secret when pneumonia goes a lot. In this case, the mucus secretion during coughing is also accompanied by weakness, profuse sweating and a strong fever rise up to a fever.
Colorless white secretory fluid may indicate the presence of bronchitis. The bronchogenic disease most often develops after a flu or cold.
Cough with white and green mucus in pneumonia and bronchitis requires treatment with antibiotics, as well as expectorants. The latter are aimed at removing inflammation, diluting sputum and removing it from the lungs and bronchi.
Mucus in the throat and cough with laryngitis
Laryngitis is a disease in which the throat is inflamed. Cough with mucus in this disease is barking and paroxysmal. It can last a long time, causing attacks of suffocation. Laryngitis is most often accompanied by a laryngeal edema, in this case the patient is shown a course of hormonal drugs aimed at normalizing the mucosa.
During laryngitis, cough comes out in small amounts. It can be white or transparent.
Cough up white mucus when coughing, what's the reason?
Not always the cause of a cough with clear or white sputum are respiratory and broncho-pulmonary diseases. Sometimes this symptom indicates a prolonged contact with chemicals, fuel combustion products, epoxy resins and dust. It's about harmful production. Working on it, people often complain that when you cough, white mucus is coughing up. However, its color can be different depending on which substance irritates the respiratory system.
Such a cough, whose treatment should also be prescribed by a doctor, requires an advanced diagnosis, which includes not only laboratory, but also radiographic studies.
Tuberculosis as the cause of this symptomIf a mucus of yellow and green tinge or with blood impurities emits when coughing, then, it may be about tuberculosis. This is a dangerous disease caused by a stick of Koch. It is sown using special laboratory tests. At an early stage, tuberculosis affects only lung tissue. In addition to the above symptoms, it is accompanied by pain in the chest area. It is worth noting that this disease in the early stages is completely cured by taking strong antibacterial drugs.
The third and fourth stages of tuberculosis are not cured completely. However, in such a state the patient is successfully supported by drugs. The triggered disease is especially dangerous because in addition to the lung tissue affects the intestines, the organs of the digestive tract and joints.
Tuberculosis is transmitted by air-drop and by contact-household way. Prophylaxis of its development is regular clinical examination, during which it is necessary to undergo fluorography.
If these symptoms are observed in you for a long time, while the condition gradually worsens, be sure to consult a doctor. Remember that diseases are easier to prevent at an early stage through proper treatment.