Antitussive, expectorant for dry cough
Coughing is a protective, reflex reaction of the body, which removes the pathological altered bronchial secretion from the respiratory tract. Sometimes it occurs when there are foreign substances in the trachea or bronchi.
Coughing is not a disease, it is a symptom, therefore it should be treated as a manifestation of the underlying disease. The choice of medications that affect cough, depends on the individual characteristics of the person, the type and clinical manifestations of the disease.
The effectiveness of the basic treatment of any disease accompanied by a cough, significantly increases with the rational use of antitussive, mucolytic and expectorants. We will consider the causes of dry cough and drugs used to soften it and transfer it into productive, into humid.
What is the best medicine for dry cough?
The choice of medication depends primarily on the nature of the cough and must be agreed with the physician:
- Cough is dry, painful, painful, unproductive, frequent, leading to a loss of appetite and sleep, choice -
- A productive cough, but with a hard to separate, thick, viscous sputum, a choice -mucolytic drugs.
- The cough is productive, with phlegm, and it is not viscous, and not thick - the choice of expectorating cough medicines.
- Mucolytic agents can not be used simultaneously with antitussive drugs.
Dry cough - causes:
Most often, dry cough occurs at the onset of a cold, flu, acute bronchitis, pneumonia, as well as inhaling various substances that irritate the mucous membrane. In the case of a severe attack of dry cough, inspiration is accompanied by a wheezing noise between coughing jerks. This is due to the narrowing of the lumen of the bronchi, larynx or trachea and leads to shortness of breath. Before the attack of dry cough can feel pain with a deep breath.
Causes of dry cough:Read also on the topic:
- Dry cough without fever in adults-causes
- Barking cough in a child - treatment
- Chest Cough - Instruction
- Treatment of dry cough in children and adults
- Why dry cough does not go away, causes of dry cough
- Herbion from dry and wet cough - instruction
- Sinecode - instructions for use
- Causes of dry cough without fever
- Inhalation with bronchitis and laryngitis
- Allergic cough - symptoms
- Antibiotics for bronchitis
- Laryngitis in a child - treatment
- Viral, infectious diseases - ARVI, influenza, parainfluenza, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc.
- Allergy-allergic rhinitis, allergy to dust, chemicals, may be the initial sign of asthma.
- Bronchospasm - spasm in the bronchial tubes
- Medicines that reduce high blood pressure - enalapril maleate, caproptil, lisinopril.
- Reflex response to smoke, cold air, sharp odor
Strong dry cough - what to treat?
The better to cure a dry cough? The use of antitussives is considered advisable only at conditions when the cough is strong and often dry (exhausting) and only as prescribed by the doctor.
If the cough is dry, unproductive, it should first be transferred to the moist one, and then use mucolytic or expectorant drugs. And also with an unproductive cough, combined drugs that have both antitussive and expectorant effect are effective:
Sinekod - instructions for use
Dosage Form: Tablets for children in syrup and in drops for oral administration.
Pharmacological action: Sinekod - antitussive drug, has a direct effect on the cough center. Has an expectorant property, has a moderate anti-inflammatory, bronchodilating effect, improves spirometry. It is indicated for acute dry cough of various origin.
Contraindications: Do not use in pregnant and lactating women. Children under 2 months are contraindicated, children under 3 years can not use syrup, only drops, tablets are contraindicated for children under 12 years.
Side effects: Nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, allergic reactions.
Price: syrup 220 rubles, a drop of 320 rubles. AnalogOmnitussyrup 150 rubles, tab. 190 rubles.
Herbion - plantain syrup
Dosage form: syrup
Pharmacological action: Herbion - a combined medicine of plant origin, has antitussive, expectorant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory effect. In the composition extracts of flowers mallow and grass plantain lanceolate. The drug softens and relieves dry cough.
Contraindications: Hypersensitivity to herbal preparations, intolerance to fructose. Take precautions with diabetes.
Side effects: Allergic reactions.
Price: the average price for pharmacies is 220 rubles.
Dosage form: elixir, syrup
Pharmacological properties: Kodelak Fito is a combination antitussive. Contains codeine and extracts of thermopsis, thyme and licorice. Has an expectorant effect.
Contraindications: bronchial asthma, children under 2years old, pregnant and lactating women, with respiratory insufficiency and hypersensitivity to the plant components of the drug.
Side effects: allergic reactions, nausea, vomiting, headache, drowsiness, constipation. With prolonged use, drug dependence develops to codeine.
Price: 130-140 rub.
Dosage form: tablets, drops for internal administration
Pharmacological action: Stopoutsin - combined antitussive and secretolitic action. The composition includes butamirate citrate, which has a local anesthetic, bronchodilator and antitussive action, and Guaifenesin reduces the viscosity of sputum, improving its departure. Effective with dry cough in children and adults.
Contraindications: Children under 1 year of age and pregnancy during 1 trimester should not be used.
Side effects: Allergic reactions, rarely - vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache.
Price: drops 70-80 rubles., Tablets 130-140 rubles.
Dosage form: syrup, elixir, lozenges
Pharmacological action: Combined drug with anti-inflammatory, expectorant, bronchodilator effect. The syrup and tablets contain the extract of thyme herb, and the elixir also contains the root extract of the primrose. Bronchicum is universal, it is an effective expectorant for dry cough and damp. At the stage of the disease, when a dry cough Bronchicum helps to cope with severe attacks, transferring a dry cough to wet. Then, with a damp cough, he facilitates expectoration of the sputum, contributing to its excretion from the lungs.
Contraindications: Syrup is contraindicated for children under 6 months, and children under 6 years of age should not take troches, patients with significant impaired liver and kidney function, with individual intolerance, during pregnancy and lactation.
Side effects: irritation of the gastric mucosa, allergic reactions.
Price: 270 rubles.
Dosage form: syrup
Pharmacological action: Broncholitin is a combined preparation of antitussive, bronchodilating and bronchoseptic action. The composition includes Glaucina hydrobromide, which has a depressing effect on the cough center, a mild anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect. Basil oil has a minor sedative, antimicrobial, antispasmodic property. Ephedrine stimulates breathing, dilates the bronchi, has a vasoconstrictive effect, thereby eliminating the edema of the bronchial mucosa.
Contraindications: heart failure, children under 3 years of age, pregnant and lactating women should not be used.
Side effects: tachycardia, tremor, insomnia, drowsiness, visual impairment, nausea, vomiting, difficulty urinating, rash, increased sweating.
Price: 60 rubles.
Dosage form: tablets
Pharmacological action: Libexin is an antitussive remedy of peripheral action. It has a local anesthetic, bronchodilator effect, its antitussive effect is approximately comparable to codeine. Unlike codeine, Libexin does not cause dependence, does not affect the central nervous system. With chronic bronchitis has an anti-inflammatory effect.
Contraindications: diseases, with the release of abundant bronchial secretion, with caution used in childhood, in pregnancy is not recommended.
Side effects: dry mouth, temporary numbness in the oral mucosa, mild sedative effect, skin rash.
Price: 260-280 rub.
When the cough is not so dry, you can use this herbal preparation.
Dosage form: Brown syrup, the composition includes extracts of 10 medicinal plants - flowers althea, onosmy, hyssop, violets, alpinia, fruits of long pepper, licorice root, adhatoha leaves, etc.
Pharmacological action: Linkas - a combined preparation of plant origin, reduces the intensity cough, increases its productivity, has mucolytic, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory effect.
Contraindications: Children under 6 months of use is not recommended, with hypersensitivity to herbal remedies, use with caution in diabetes mellitus.
Side effects: allergic reactions.
Price: 130-140 rub.
To prescribe and determine the duration of administration of the listed medicinal, expectorant drugs with a dry cough should be the attending physician. There are cases when, with a painful, debilitating, non-productive cough, medications do not help, and simple methods of traditional medicine, such as mustard plasters, banks, steam inhalations, warming ointments and creams bring considerable relief and quickly transfer dry cough to wet.
Antitussive drugs used to treat dry cough
When fighting with dry cough, it is important to choose a drug or procedure that will work on your body more effectively and will not cause side effects. Before you begin treatment, read more carefully the contraindications. Almost every drug can be used for both children and adults, the difference is only in the frequency of use and the volume of a single dose.
Dry cough appears only at the very beginning of the inflammatory process. This is the response of the human body to various kinds of irritants.To properly start treatment, it is necessary to determine correctly whether the cough is dry.If you start to treat wet cough with drugs designed to treat dry, you will not achieve not only the result, but also complicate the process of recovery. To treat a dry cough it is necessary. It does not bring any benefit to the body, becoming heavy and suffocating, only draining you.
From this article you can learn in detail why pershit in the throat and cough.
The pharmacological industry offers a wide variety of drugs with a variety of uses. The ill person must choose what to heal easier and more effectively.
To combat dry cough can be used narcotic drugs (Codeine, etc.), which you can buy in the pharmacy just does not work, but only on prescription. But it is better to avoid such means, in order not to cause dependence on the narcotic ingredient itself.
Combined medicines become more popular. But any application should be based on the main rules: do not treat dry cough with funds from wet, otherwise treatment can lead to pneumonia.
How is the treatment of dry cough and perspiration in the throat, you can learn from this article.
The video tells about antitussive drugs with a dry cough:
Complementary help in the fight against dry cough may be compresses, rubbing, warming ointments based on propolis. But they only enhance the effect of the prescribed treatment.
For oral administration
The most well-known method of treatment remains tablets. Most often they are not washed down with water, but dissolve in the oral cavity. They can be in the form of pops or candies. I work much more effectively than other drugs, immediately relieve pain and discomfort in the throat. The only restriction on the testimony, if the patient suffers from a peptic ulcer, high acidity of the stomach or gastritis.
What can be the reasons for a prolonged dry cough in an adult, you can learn from this article.
- Libexin. It is prescribed at the very beginning of acute respiratory disease, colds, flu, with severe bronchitis. Recommended for problems with the heart. Its cost is low - about 276 rubles, but its influence is not inferior to codeine containing tablets. It blocks not only cough, but also works like a weak bronchodilator drug, relieves inflammation. If the word "muko" is added to the name, the mucolytic substance Carbocysteine that is capable of diluting sputum is included in its content. It lasts up to 4 hours, it is applied four times in knocking, every reception - ¼ - 2 tablets of medicine.
- Glaucine or Glavent Syrup. The simplest of all antitussive drugs, blocks and eliminates the cough itself, but does not weaken the breath, does not violate the flora of the intestine, the lack of narcotic compounds does not allow getting used to the application. Contraindicated to people after myocardial infarction, reduces blood pressure. It starts to work in half an hour for 8 hours, so it is enough to eat 2-3 times a day. Its cost is almost ridiculous - from 40 rubles.
- Bithiodine. The drug is peripheral. Simple composition of its effectiveness can be compared with the action of Codeine. It almost has no side effects, because of the lack of drugs there is no addiction. Tipedipine is an active ingredient, contraindicated only to those with an increased sensitivity to this ingredient. Appointed up to 3 times a day.
- Stopoutsin. One of the popular and favorite drugs to combat coughing. Has not only an effect on the cough center, but also mucolytic properties. The main active substances butamir and guaifenesin provide an expectorant effect. It is prescribed from 4 to 6 times to knock, the time of excretion is 6 hours. It differs from simpler drugs with a whole list of contraindications and side effects. Especially not recommended for children, pregnant and nursing. The price category is more than affordable - 87 rubles.
In the video - mucolytic drugs used with a dry cough:
You can find out how to stop a night lagoon in a child by reading this article.
Rinse throat has its own peculiarity or rule: the more often you rinse, the effect will be obvious. This can be explained by the fact that the tonsils collect toxic substances in themselves-irritants and they must be regularly rinsed. The minimum amount of rinses per day is 5 times. The methods and the active substances are the simplest here.
- Salt and water. The components are added to the water in an equal volume, possibly adding a few drops of iodine. Once the solution is mixed - you can start rinsing. Already after the first time you will feel a weakening of the pain effect, a partial removal of the inflammation. Although the method is very simple, it is quite effective.
- Furacilin. One tablet is diluted with 0.5 glasses of warm water and the rinse solution is ready. The price does not reach 50 rubles. It is considered the most effective in fighting cough or with sore throat. Already after the first procedure you will feel a noticeable relief.
- Medicinal herbs. To rinse your throat, you can use any medicinal plants that have anti-inflammatory effect, for example: chamomile, sage, calendula, polynya and plantain. Dried and crushed simply brewed with steep boiling water, it insists. The cooled, slightly warm solution is immediately ready to rinse. You can use several components at the same time, or you can brew only one.
How to cure a dry cough in a child of 3 years is indicated in this article.
Means for inhalation
Inhalation is the most natural method in fighting cough. It can be used at the onset of the disease and as a preventive measure. Translation of the word means "breathe in", but this is not the most important when inhaling, it is enough to recall the medicinal properties of the sea air or the curative atmosphere of the coniferous forest. Unlike all possible drugs, inhalations have no side effects, it is impossible to get used to them, and the effect is sometimes even stronger than from pharmaceuticals. Such procedures have their own classification, which many do not even guess.
What can be the causes of a nocturnal dry cough in a child, you can find out by reading this article.
- Steam inhalations. Available at home. To conduct them, it is sufficient to heat the water almost to the boiling point and add the drug, essential oils. Often this component is eucalyptus. Hot steam is inhaled into the nasal or oral cavity and further enters the throat, larynx and trachea.
- Dry inhalation. First, the drug mixes with water, and then falls under the streams of hot air. The moisture quickly evaporates, therefore only one drug substance reaches the airways in a dry form.
- Wet inhalation of vapors. The procedure is more like fogging: the drug component turns into an aerosol.
- Aeroionoinhalation- Negative or positively charged air ions enter the body. It is believed that a greater effect is achieved with negative charges
Children are skeptical about the use of tablets, especially if they have to be absorbed, because the taste of such drugs is not very pleasant for children's receptors. Still other than tasty and sweet syrups for children, our pharmacists have not yet invented.The main goal of the doctor and the patient himself: as soon as possible to translate dry cough into wet, and then appoint an expectorant for the excretion of phlegm.
How to cure barking dry cough in a child without temperature, you can find out by reading this article.
- Lazolvan or Ambrobene Syrup. Applied even for premature babies. The main substance Ambroxol raises the immune system and has an anti-inflammatory effect. The cost of this drug starts at 200 rubles.
- Bronhicum. The drug is based on medicinal herbs. Has the appearance of a syrup or elixir. It can be used even for children from six months with a dry cough and hard-to-recover sputum. Pharmacy price is slightly more than 300 rubles per 100 mg flacon.
- Libexin. It is prescribed in the first stages of the disease. Effects on the cough reflex, without inhibiting the respiratory system by influencing the central nervous system. By the principle of work is similar to Bithiodine. The approximate cost is up to 300 rubles.
- Breast gathering 1/2/3/4. Phytopectol 1, 2. These are whole complexes of medicinal herbs for making infusions and broths from: althaea, oregano, plantain, sage, wild rosemary, chamomile, violet, mint, mother-and-stepmother, etc.
When treating children from dry cough, it is extremely rare to use drugs blocking the cough reflex at the level of the brain, then there are codeine containing, etc. Refer to such tools only with pleurisy, whooping cough and malignant tumors of the mediastinum.
What you need to do when a dry cough does not pass, you can learn from this article.
The most effective, sparing and effective methods for controlling coughing are rinsings.
- Soda, salt and vinegar. This way you can get rid of a cough in one day. Rinse each substance separately and in turn. The first half of the day every 30 minutes, the second - every hour. To prepare the solution, you need 1 teaspoon of the drug for a glass of water.
- A solution of propolis. A few drops of propolis on a glass of warm water and rinse as often as possible.
- Rinse with decoctions of medicinal herbs: sage, calendula, cypress, chamomile, eucalyptus.
What to do when the child does not go through a dry cough for a long time, you can learn from the article.
In addition to known steam inhalations for children was invented and ultrasonic. It is most often used in the treatment of children. The drug is finely divided by ultrasound, and then small particles enter the children's body.
It has the appearance of an aerosol, its action penetrates much deeper than other similar procedures, but you will need to purchase an ultrasonic inhaler. To this procedure, children are more relaxed and sustained, so the effect will be more noticeable.
You can find out how cough is treated in infants by reading this article.
Both rinsing and inhalation are only means to relieve symptoms, but they are not able to defeat the infection and cure the child completely.
On the video - more information about the dry cough in the child, about what drugs to treat:
Treatment of any cold or infectious disease is possible only with the help of medicines. But the use of additional procedures (rinsing and inhalation) will noticeably bring recovery and ease the pain.
Cough for adults
Flu and cold are always accompanied by a pathological condition of the respiratory tract, a congestion of sputum in the lungs and bronchi. Selecting cough medicine for adults, it is important to pay attention to the nature of the symptom - wet or dry, the presence of allergic reactions to the components of the drug, the severity of side effects.
How to choose an effective and strong cough medicine for adults?
To purchase an effective drug, first of all you need to familiarize yourself with their classification. There are 2 types of medicines under consideration:
- Expectorants.Are intended for treatment of a damp cough with separation of thick, viscous mucus.
- Antitussive.Appointed with dry painful cough, irritation of the pharynx and vocal cords.
Each of the presented groups is produced in various forms - syrups, tablets, soluble capsules, powders. In addition, the preparations may differ in composition, they are based both on artificial chemical compounds and on natural components. Also it is worth paying attention to the phytochemicals in the form of breastfeeding.
Overwhelming cough in adult medicines
First, consider effective antitussive drugs intended for the therapy of dry cough:
- Panathus and Panathus Forte;
- Alex Plus;
- Broncholine Sage;
- Kodelak Broncho and Kodelak Fito;
- Co -anol;
- Bronhitusen Vramed;
- Grippostad Good Night;
- Tussin Plus;
- Fervex from a dry cough;
- Pharmaceutical tablets for cough.
Sometimes, to suppress very violent attacks, drugs with a narcotic effect must be used that affect the main cough center and suppress unpleasant symptoms:
- Morphine chloride;
- ethylmorphine hydrochloride;
The best expectorant for coughing adults
The described kind of medicines is intended for liquefaction of mucus, decrease in intensity of its allocation, destruction of polymeric communications between molecules of a bronchial sputum.
Good medications for wet coughing adults:
- Exomuk 200;
- Dr. Taiss syrup;
- syrup doctor IOM;
- Kodelak Broncho;
- Thoracic Elixir;
- Broncho's Witchcraft;
- Libexin Muko;
- Suprema Broncho;
- Coldrex Bronho;
- Rinicold Bronho;
- syrup from licorice root;
- syrup with plantain root and mother-and-stepmother from wet cough;
- dry cough medicine for adults.
Also it is necessary to pay attention to natural medicines:
- chest collection (№1, №2, №3 and №4);
- Phytopectol №1, №2;
- extract of thyme grass;
- expectorant collection;
- eucalyptus oil is rod-like.
Most of these medicines are combined and have a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect.
The most effective cough remedy
To choose an effective cough remedy, you need to know its cause. Most often, coughing in children and adults occurs with colds (respiratory infection, flu), complications in the form of acute laryngitis, tracheitis or bronchitis.
The cough reflex is necessarily associated with the lesion of the bronchial wall. But it can be caused by a central mechanism (the effect of cortical centers of the brain), decompensation of cardiac activity in heart defects or ischemic myocardial disease.
Effective is the cough remedy, which treats the common disease.
Varieties of symptomatic means
In addition to the immediate causes of cough, symptoms appear, to eliminate which there are drugs with a good result of the action. They can be divided into:
- drugs that suppress dry cough by suppressing the cough center in the brain;
- drugs that remove phlegm from the bronchi with a damp cough.
A group of cough suppressants in adults
Preparations differ in chemical composition, natural components. Produced in tablets, capsules, powders, syrups. The most effective group of effective cough remedies:
- Alex Plus,
- Bronhitusen Vramed,
They are produced by different pharmaceutical companies, often similar in composition.
According to the doctor's prescription, an effective cough medicine such as Codeine is used. The drug is part of Demorphan. Contains narcotic components, is addictive.
Remedies for phlegm
These drugs by the mechanism of action are aimed at improving the sputum discharge: dilute mucus, reduce synthesis, relieve spasmodic contractions of the bronchi. For adults it is recommended:
- syrup Doctor IOM,
- Kodelak Broncho,
- Thoracic Elixir,
- Libexin Muko,
- Coldrex Bronho,
This is an incomplete list of drugs available in the pharmacy chain from cough. Each has its own advantages and limitations in its application. The instructions outline the contraindications and the way of use.
Ready-made fees for adults
There are effective medicinal fees from cough, from natural plant material. The patient can choose from the following:
- syrup from licorice root;
- syrup from plantain and leaves of mother-and-stepmother;
- dry cough medicine;
- pectoral fees (from the first to the fourth issue);
- extract from the herb of thyme.
Requirements for cough remedies for children
Children's cough medicines, in order to be effective, must meet the following requirements:
- do not have an adverse toxic effect;
- for small children to have the form of a syrup, drops with a pleasant taste (tablets and capsules they can not swallow);
- conveniently dosed (tea spoons, drops).
Children's cough suppressants
Unlike adults, a child can not spit a coughing up phlegm, when it goes away, there is a swallowing and irritation of the stomach and intestines. This explains the frequent diarrhea in children with colds.
- Sinecode - comes in the form of syrup and drops. The active substance is butamyrate. Drops can be used for children aged 2 months, and syrup from three years of age or older. The duration of treatment is limited to a week. Effective with a dry cough (with whooping cough). In the instructions for the use of Sinecod, there are special indications of side effects and contraindications.
- Herbion - has an anti-inflammatory and expectorant effect. It is created from plant material of mallow and leaves of plantain. Produced in the form of syrup. It is assigned to children from two years old. Contraindication: hypersensitivity to fructose and incoming components.
- Lazolvan - syrup with active substance ambroksol. It does not contain sugar, it is suitable for children with diabetes. Contraindicated only with individual intolerance.
- Gedelix - is made from an extract of ivy, does not contain sugar and flavorings. It is characterized by increased safety. It is used in children from infancy.
- Dr. Theiss is a herbal preparation from the extract of plantain leaves, there is a variant of plantain, lemon balm, chamomile with ascorbic acid. It is assigned to children after a year. Recommended for the night.
An effective means for coughing for children and adults are inhalations. The infant is recommended to keep for a few minutes in the bathroom with high humidity and steam.
Older children and adults are shown medical inhalation over boiling water in a wide saucepan. From above, you should close the bath towel. In the water, you can add a spoonful of soda, a few drops of fir or juniper oil.
Recommended inhalation over boiled potatoes, laurel leaves.
To stop coughing drink warm milk with honey and lemon juice, black radish juice, lime flower tea, mother-and-stepmother leaves, elderberry broth, dry raspberries. A good action is juice from a large bulb mixed with honey.
Children are helped with a dry, dry cough massage at the point located in the pit above the breastbone. It should be done with one finger.
Breast massages of the chest with easy tapping movements help to sputum. For adults, such a massage should be done with the use of force.
Sometimes a fit of coughing is removed with hot foot and hand baths. The distracting effect of mustard plasters helps to expand the bronchi and calms cough in older children and adults.
These examples of funds can be used independently no longer than 2-3 days. If there is no result, consult a doctor. Prolonged cough indicates the need for more powerful drugs, antibiotics and other anti-inflammatory drugs.
Treatment of dry cough in children and adults - drugs, folk remedies
Dry cough is an unconditioned reflex that performs the function of cleansing the respiratory tract from various stimuli - sputum, mucus, pus, foreign bodies, thereby helping to clear the bronchial tree and trachea.
Usually, dry cough appears at the beginning of any infectious, viral illness, colds. Depending on the causative agent and immune response, its intensity can be different, from minor to debilitating, paroxysmal, intensifying during sleep.
How to treat dry cough in children and adults, what medications and folk remedies can be used to relieve it and quickly transfer to moist? This is our article.
Causes of dry cough in children and adults
Before starting the treatment of dry cough, it is necessary to establish the cause that caused its appearance. If it's a common cold or flu, then with bed rest, a plentiful drinking regime, symptomatic therapy after a few days dry cough to become productive with light sputum is a good sign, indicating that a person is recovering.
A dry cough is an excuse for addressing a therapist, as a whole range of diseases can hide behind him. Moreover, if a dry cough does not pass 10 or more days - this is a serious reason to contact a therapist or pediatrician.
The doctor, on the basis of examination, anamnesis of the patient, can send for the following tests and diagnostics:
- General blood analysis
- Fluorography for suspected pneumonia or if not done in the last 2 years
- According to the indications - X-ray in 2 projections (suspicion of cancer, tuberculosis, sarcoidosis)
- Sputum culture for changes in fluorography or radiography and for decreed groups.
- When purulent sputum and the presence of capacity in the laboratory - sputum culture to identify the pathogen and sensitivity to antibiotics (in clinics is not done).
- When suspected of bronchial asthma - spirography with samples (on berotek, cold).
- If necessary - referral to an allergist for scarification tests for allergy and examination of the ENT with smears from the throat and pharynx for eosinophilia.
- When X-ray diagnosis of tumors - bronchoscopy, MRI or CT on indications.
- With foreign bodies - examination of ENT, bronchoscopy
- If suspected pertussis - blood tests for immunoglobulins or PCR mucus from the throat.
The main causes of dry cough in children and adults:
- ARVI, flu, cold (how is the flu differs from ARVI)
- Bronchial asthma, COPD, irritation of the respiratory tract from chemicals - bronchospasm, allergic cough
- Coryza, sinusitis, sinusitis, adenoids, chronic allergic rhinitis
- Children's infectious diseases - diphtheria, false groats (barking cough in a child) and such that are also in adults - whooping cough, measles.
- Pleurisy, pneumonia, acute or chronic bronchitis, tracheitis, tracheobronchitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis (treatment in children).
- Oncological diseases of the respiratory system organs - lung cancer, bronchial cancer, throat cancer, larynx, etc.
- Congestive heart failure, aortic aneurysm
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Cough smoker
- Foreign body in the respiratory system - often happens and causes a dry cough in children.
How to treat dry cough in children and adults correctly
If dry cough is not caused by catarrhal and viral diseases, then tuberculosis, oncology, cardiac or allergic etiology of coughing should be excluded. After careful diagnosis, on the basis of the established diagnosis, appropriate treatment is prescribed. And we will consider the treatment options for non-productive cough with the most common variants of its appearance - for cold, viral, infectious diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract.
Drugs for dry cough
- Drugs of central action that suppress cough: Butamirate (sinecode), Glavent (for children from 4 years).
- Combined medicines: Codterpine, Codelac (from age 2) additionally improve sputum discharge, dilute sputum Stopoutsin (children older than a month), Glycodine (from 12 months), with antipyretic action - Grippostad (from 6 years).
- Peripheral action of cough remedy: Levoprot (from 2 years), Libexin (from 3 years).
A plentiful warm drink with a dry cough is the key to a quick recovery
A plentiful warm drink is a banal phrase, everyone knows about it, but sometimes it does not attach much importance to this important component of treatment. And after all, on the basis of how much liquid a patient drinks, the speed of the transition of dry cough to wet with sputum under different catarrhal and viral diseases directly depends. You can drink the following vitamins:
- Cranberry juice, currant jelly, raspberry
- Broths of medicinal herbs, in the absence of allergies to them - are decoctions of plantain, mother and stepmother, licorice, sage, dog rose
- Hot tea with lemon, honey, raspberries
- It is useful to drink warm goat milk, while melt in it a piece of butter or add almond oil, honey (but only to those who do not suffer from pancreatitis). It is very good to drink such a drink at night.
- Black radish juice with honey
- Warm mineral alkaline water without gases
- Infusions of licorice root
Inhalation with dry cough
Inhalations are also a very effective way to relieve dry cough. For the implementation of inhalations, you can use special devices - nebulizers, inhalers, and also they can be carried out by the ancient way - breathing over the steam, covered with a towel, you can also use a teapot spout, and inhale the vapor through a paper cone. Solutions for inhalation can be very diverse:
Medicinal products Lazolvan, Ambrobene, ACTS inject, Fluimutsil, Sinupret, Rotokan, Tolsigon N, marigold extract.
- Decoctions of various herbs - sage, St. John's wort, chamomile, calendula, raspberry leaves, peppermint, coltsfoot, leaves eucalyptus, juniper, pine buds, ready-made Eucarum # 1 or Ingaphitol collection for inhalation (chamomile and sage).
- More information about the methods of inhalation, medications, various solutions for inhalation in bronchitis, laryngitis, cold, flu, please read our article.
Rubbing, massage, compresses for the treatment of non-productive cough in children
Rubbing, massage, compresses - any heating procedures can be performed only if there is no high body temperature in the patient. Especially cautious should be treated with such drugs in the treatment of dry cough in children.
If the child has a dry cough that is allergic or caused by whooping cough or a false croup - in these cases the use of various strongly smelling or allergenic agents can worsen the condition, especially often causes allergy ointment - Dr. Mom, which includes - camphor, menthol, eucalyptus, muscat, turpentine oil, thymol. For ointments that have a warming effect, you can include - Dr. Mom, Barsuchok, Pulmeks, Evkabal - many pediatricians do not advise to use these ointments for children under 2 years, and in case the child is prone to allergies, then do not use it at all.
As for the massage, it can also be produced only at a low body temperature, in the absence of even suspicion of complications from Orvi or influenza. It is best for bronchitis, because the massage is designed to improve the sputum, but it can also be produced when the condition is relieved with an unproductive cough in children and adults. Drainage massage should be done very diligently, after a warm bath. After the massage the child should lie down about half an hour, while it should be covered with a warm blanket, and at night you can make a compress.
For a compress, you can make such a solution - 1 tbsp. a spoon of sunflower oil, 1 tbsp. spoonful of vodka, 1 tbsp. a spoonful of honey - this mixture should be heated in a water bath. In this solution, soak a linen rag, so large as to cover the neck and the interlap zone, put cotton wool on top of the cloth, then cellophane. To the back of the baby, you should fasten the compress with a scarf or scarf. It should be borne in mind that the child so have to sleep all night, the nodules should be made small and placed on the side. Every day, such a compress should not be done, it is better every other day.
The room in which the child sleeps with the compress should be cool air. Very carefully, you should use alcohol for compresses, you can not use it in large quantities, because the skin in children under 7 years partially performs the function of respiration, and with an overdose, alcoholic poisoning of the baby can occur. The same applies to the use of vinegar to remove temperature - this is an old folk method of reducing the temperature in a child often leads to poisoning, it is not worth it to use.
Medicinal Plants to Help
The use of medicinal plants - in pharmacies you can buy ready-made breast doses, which you can use inside, and do inhalations. Among medicinal plants, the following are significant expectorant and mucolytic properties herbs: oregano, althea root, sage, mother-stepmother leaf, anise fruits, licorice root, pine buds.
|Breast gathering number 1||Mother and stepmother, althea roots, oregano|
|Breast gathering number 2||Plantain, mother and stepmother, licorice root|
|Breast gathering № 3||Sage, althea roots, anise fruits, pine buds, licorice root|
|Breast gathering № 4||Chamomile, sprouts of ledum, calendula, licorice root, mint, violet grass|
|Phytopectol № 1||Mother and stepmother, althaea roots, oregano|
|Phytopectol number 2||Plantain, mother and stepmother, licorice root|
Climatic conditions in the patient's room with a dry cough
Creating the optimal humidity and air temperature in the patient's room is also the most important condition for the early transition of dry cough to productive, because dry, dusty, too warm air aggravate the condition of the mucous membranes of the nasopharynx and the condition of the lower respiratory tract. It is very important to observe the right climatic conditions in order to avoid complications from viral and infectious diseases so that pathogens do not descend to the lower respiratory tract.
- Humidity should be not less than 50%, more precisely from 50 to 70%
- Air temperature not more than 20С
With dry air, especially in the heating season, you can easily cope with the help of special air humidifiers, on the wound of household appliances they are now a great choice. It is more difficult to create a comfortable temperature, if the apartment has central heating and you can not regulate the heating of the room, in this case, you should always keep the windows open.
It is also very important that the air is clean, for this you should make a daily wet cleaning, the room should be missing carpets and carpeting. It is also best to use air purifiers.
Antitussive - it is dangerous to use without prescription
Combined antitussives with a dry cough should only be used as directed by the doctor, such as Sinecode, Stoptusin, Libexin, Broncholite, since these drugs can lead to stagnation of sputum, mucus in the respiratory tract, some of them have a central effect on the cough centers.
They are shown with such diseases, when dry cough is painful, it strongly prevents sleep, for example, with whooping cough. It is best to use for the treatment of dry cough Herbion with plantain, Bronchicum, Linkas.
Antibiotic against coughing. List of drugs
For many people, spring and autumn are associated with bouts of painful cough. In some, this protective reflex of the body appears as a symptom of an allergic reaction, in others - against a background of colds. Not wanting to go to the hospital, most people who suffer from coughing decide on their own to buy an antibiotic in the hope that it will help. Most often, this self-medication leads to dysbiosis and other disorders in the body, but the real problem remains unresolved. So let's try to figure out which one and when to use the antibiotic for cough and in what situations it is better not to use it.
What do you need to know?
Few bother to study the information about the disease, which struck them. And at the first cough, without understanding the causes of its occurrence, they run after the antibiotic and buy the one advised by a neighbor or girlfriend. This approach to treatment is totally unacceptable. If the doctor does not come to the plans for the next few days, you need to understand what caused the load on the larynx, and determine the nature of the cough. And only then go to the pharmacy, consult a pharmacist and buy the right medicine. But we will remind that the best variant will be, if the doctor will appoint or nominate an antibiotic at tussis and temperature.
By the amount of sputum cough is divided into productive (wet) and unproductive (dry). The first testifies that the inflammatory process no longer progresses and the mucus began to depart from the bronchi and lungs. However, cessation of treatment of the disease with such a cough is absolutely impossible. As for non-productive cough, it appears much more often and is a consequence of excessive irritation of the mucous respiratory tract. Such a symptom may appear as a result of mechanical effects on the throat or allergic reaction, as well as against a background of various diseases.
According to the nature of the manifestation, the cough can be short, continuous, paroxysmal, barking, periodic and hoarse.
Do I need an antibiotic for cough?
Doctors quite often prescribe antibacterial drugs with a productive and protracted dry cough. And sometimes such therapy can be aimed at preventing the occurrence of complications of the disease. However, there is a proven fact that both wet and dry cough antibiotics can not be cured if the disease has a viral etiology. In addition, the result of such therapy can be various diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and the adaptation of bacteria to the drug, which further complicates treatment.
What antibiotics can be prescribed?
It should again be recalled that the doctor can choose the right antibiotic for coughing. It is the specialist who, after examining the patient, will assign a series of laboratory tests to determine the bacterial infection. And only after receiving the results of the study, he will prescribe an effective antibiotic for a particular case of cough.Patients with bacterial infection of the respiratory tract may be recommended a drug that is included in one of the four major groups. And the first position in this list is occupied by penicillins. All drugs of this group destroy the walls of bacteria, resulting in pathogenic microorganisms. The second position is occupied by antibiotics-cephalosporins. As for the third place in the list of frequently recommended antibacterial drugs, it belongs to macrolides. Finish the list of fluoroquinolones. Each of these groups will be considered in more detail.
It is also worth noting that antibacterial is not always required if coughing or treatment has appeared. Antibiotics are prescribed only in cases of bacterial infection.
Penicillins: a list of drugs
As the basis of all drugs in this category, penicillin is used. This active substance prevents the production of the pathogenic cell peptidoglycan, as a result of which it can not be renewed and quickly dies. Drugs penicillin series are constantly being improved by pharmacists, as many bacteria have adapted to this effect and have begun to produce the so-called antivenom - beta-lactamase. Modern penicillin antibiotics can destroy this protective substance of pathogenic microorganisms, without affecting the human cells.Most often from this group of drugs for cough appoint drugs:
- "Flemoxin Solutab";
The chemical structure of all drugs in this group is 7-aminocephalosporinic acid. Features of the drugs are high bactericidal activity, a wide spectrum of action and a high resistance to beta-lactamases. Prescribe these antibiotics for coughing in children and adults in situations where treatment with penicillins has proved ineffective.
To date, cephalosporins for sensitivity to beta-lactamases and the spectrum of activity are divided into preparations of I, II, III and IV generations. The first group includes funds "Cephalexin", "Cefazolin", "Cephalotin", etc., which have high antistaphylococcal activity.
Cephalosporins of the second generation are prescribed when the cause of the cough is penicillin-resistant strains. Most often used drugs "Cefaclor", "Cefotiam", "Cefuroxime", etc.
As for cephalosporins of the third generation, which include such drugs as "Cefotaxime", "Ceftazidime", "Ceftriaxone", " "Cefixim", "Tsefittimen", etc., their spectrum of antimicrobial activity is much wider than in the above-mentioned groups. To date, these drugs are prescribed often enough for both children and adults.
To the cephalosporins of the IV generation belong the means of "Tsefepim", "Tsefpyrom", etc.
Macrolides: action and list of drugsThe basis of the structure of these new generation antibiotics is the lactone macrocyclic ring. All drugs of this group are active not only to intracellular pathogens, such as chlamydia, mycoplasma and legionella, but also to gram-positive cocci. In addition, macrolides in comparison with other groups of drugs are the least toxic. Because these antibiotics when coughing in children are prescribed more often than others.
The list of such drugs is wide enough. Only a doctor can say with certainty what antibiotics to take when coughing in each particular case. Most often prescribed medicines:
- "Erythromycin", etc.
Fluoroquinolones: a list of drugs
According to the spectrum of antibacterial action, the leader among all groups is undoubtedly fluoroquinolones. They are widely used in medical practice for the treatment of severe forms of ailments, and also have good compatibility with other medicines. But apart from the pluses they also have a lot of side effects. Therefore, these antibiotics are used for coughing in adults. Children are prescribed only in exceptional cases in limited doses, since the drugs of this group accumulate in bone tissue and are able to disrupt the development of cartilaginous tissue.
In diseases of the respiratory tract and their clinical manifestations (in particular, coughing), funds can be prescribed:
- "Ofloxacin", etc.
How is the antibiotic selected?
Regardless of the age of the patient, the choice of an antibacterial drug should be approached competently. Even if all the signs of a bacterial infection on the face: body temperature over 38 ° C, pronounced leukocytosis and dyspnea, a long toxic course of the disease - sputum analysis should be submitted. Such a study will identify the pathogen and determine its sensitivity to drugs. Based on the results of the sowing, the doctor will be able to prescribe an effective antibiotic against coughing.
It would seem that everything is simple, but there are situations when the patient's health is rapidly deteriorating and there is no time to wait for the results of the study. In such cases, the doctor empirically determines which antibiotics for adults coughing can stop the infection. In this case, most often the patient is prescribed antibacterial preparation of a wide spectrum of action in the form of suspension, tablets or powder.However, it is worth repeating and saying that taking antibiotics without the appointment of a specialist can cause many health problems. Therefore, if a cough or other signs of an illness have started, you need to seek medical help urgently. Only such an algorithm of actions in the course of the development of the disease will help to quickly restore the state of health and prevent negative consequences without too much time and effort.