How can I relieve dry cough in a child?
How to relieve dry cough in a child? Every parent asks himself this question, when his baby suffers from severe coughing attacks. In the arsenal of parents there are both pharmacy and folk remedies.
Why there is a dry cough?
First of all, you need to understand that coughing is a non-self-sustaining disease. It is a symptom that accompanies a disease. Therefore, it is necessary to treat it, based on the doctor's diagnosis. Dry cough causes the child a lot of suffering and anguish: a baby can not fully sleep, because such a cough intensifies at night, loses appetite, becomes irritable, nervous and tearful.
There are many reasons for the appearance of a dry cough in a child.Here are the most common of them:
- Physiological features of the structure of the larynx in the zone of the vocal cords. This reason is most often found in young children. Over time, such a cough passes by itself, when the structure of the larynx changes.
- Laryngitis, or swelling of the mucosa. This process is accompanied by acute attacks of cough, which is often described as barking. It intensifies at night. Especially severe attacks occur at the first 2 - 3 days after the onset of the disease, when it is at the peak of exacerbation.
- Bronchospasm. Imminent coughing leads to spasm in the bronchial tubes.
- Allergic reaction. In some cases, cough may begin because of exposure to the body of an allergen.
- Infectious or viral disease. For example, ARVI, ARI, pneumonia, influenza. Bronchitis, parainfluenza are accompanied by a cough in children.
When a child starts coughing, it is necessary to call a pediatrician at home or to show the child to the doctor. This is important because only the doctor can determine the exact cause of the baby's cough, diagnose and prescribe adequate treatment. It is better not to engage in self-treatment of the child.
How to calm an attack of a child's cough?
However, what if the pediatrician can not be consulted for some reason impossible? Parents can take independent steps to ease the attack of the child.
To do this, you can use the following guidelines:
- With a night attack. If the child began to cough in a dream, it must first be awakened. Then you need to sit him in a vertical position (let the child lean back on the pillow). This soothing posture will bring some relief.
- Walking. Can help reduce the attack of ordinary walking around the room.
- Wet air. If the child has a dry cough, you can moisten the room. This is especially true in the winter season, when the air is over-dried by batteries and other heating appliances. Sometimes it is enough simply to sprinkle water from the atomizer in the room to make the child feel better.
- Products of beekeeping. If the baby does not have an allergy to honey, you can give him ¼ h. l. of natural honey. It is necessary to slowly dissolve it, trying not to swallow immediately. Many recipes from dry cough include honey. If a child has an allergy to it, it does not matter. You can prepare funds for the same recipes, excluding honey. From this they will not cease to be effective.
- Butter. This product has an enveloping action, which eliminates the irritation of the mucous membrane. The method is good if the cause of the cough is a sore throat.
- Cough syrups. Now in pharmacies there is a huge selection of different syrups. You can choose any syrup, but it is absolutely necessary that the package indicates that the medicine is intended for the treatment of children. In addition, you need to choose a remedy against dry cough. Depending on the condition of the child and the nature of the course of the disease, the doctor may prescribe an antitussive drug or a combination drug.
Drinking and inhalation for coughing
You can give the child a therapeutic drink. Here are some drinks recipes that can help:
- Alkali. Soda is an excellent remedy against dry cough. It eliminates irritation with mucous, softens, soothes. You can cook a delicious drink, which the children drink with pleasure. To do this, heat 1 cup of milk (to a high temperature), add ¼ h to it. l. soda, ½ h. l. honey and a piece of butter. All mixed well, wait until the oil and honey is melted, give a drink to the child. Parents should make sure that the milk is warm, but not in any way hot. This is important not only for the prevention of burns, but also for getting rid of the cough itself. Hot temperature, on the contrary, can provoke a new attack.
- Mineral water. It is necessary to choose necessarily alkaline mineral water and add to it 1/2 h. l. soda. The water must be warm. This drink softens the mucous, reduces perspiration and soothes cough.
Inhalations are also very effective and can help the baby. The most suitable for the child will be the following:
- Chamomile inhalation. It is conducted in the same way as any other, but chamomile is added to the water. A couple of such decoctions are good for seizures.
- Emergency inhalation. It may happen that a critical situation occurs when the child suffers suffocation. For example, this happens with laryngitis. In this case, you need to open the hot water tap in the bathroom in order to steam, and bring the baby to the water. He will breathe a little of this steam, and the condition will be relieved.
- Inhalation with essential oils. In any inhalation, whether it is on herbal decoction or ordinary water, you can add essential oils. Cedar, needles, fir are very good in this respect.
When carrying out inhalation, make sure that the child does not burn the steam.
You can carry out the procedure by means of a special inhaler or a conventional saucepan, erecting a towel over your head. After inhalation, you must go to bed.
How else can you remove a fit of coughing?
Other means of traditional medicine can help:
- Sage. Ingredients - 1 glass of milk, 1 tbsp. l. sage. Add the grass to the milk and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and insist for 40 minutes, then drain. Give the baby 1 glass of hot decoction before going to bed. This will not only suppress cough, but also give the child a sound sleep.
- Compress. Ingredient - black radish. It is necessary to squeeze out the juice from the radish and rub it on the baby's chest and back. After that, he must immediately go to bed.
- Romashko-honey tea. Ingredients - chamomile flowers, 1 h. l. honey. You need to brew chamomile according to the instructions. In 1 cup of broth add honey, mix well and give to the baby.
- Vegetable oil. You can give the baby 1 hour. l. any vegetable oil. The most pleasant ones are olive, peanut, sesame oil. They soften the mucous, thereby improving the patient's condition.
Before giving the baby a drink, you can make a manipulation that will further enhance the effectiveness of the curative decoction. To do this, you need to seat the child and knock on his upper back and chest sections. This contributes to the rejection of bronchial mucus. Movements should be easy and do not give the child unpleasant sensations. Then you need to give a decoction.
As a rule, these folk remedies help to relieve the condition of the baby and curb cough.
What if the cough does not pass?
Parents should understand that sometimes a cough can present a real threat to the health and even the life of the child. For example, attacks with laryngitis for a small child can be fatal. This is due to the fact that with laryngitis of the acute form, the laryngeal lumen can narrow (this leads to death).
Therefore, if the parents see that the attempts to stop the attack do not help, you should urgently call a doctor. The fact is that not always the attack can be stopped at home.
Many parents oppose the hospitalization of the child. But, if doctors recommend this, parents should agree to avoid complications and threats to the life of their son or daughter. Sometimes it is necessary to introduce the baby Prednisolone to relieve swelling. The hospital should carry out complex therapeutic measures aimed at treating the disease, and not only to remove the symptom in the form of a cough.
Dry cough in the baby
The child coughs when the surface of the throat is irritated. This happens during illness or when the body fights the infection, secreting a lot of phlegm. What if I have a dry cough in my baby? Young mothers often become confused and begin to panic, especially if there is no coughing up. How to help the baby calm down, get rid of this ailment, find out the causes and ways of treating the disease? Treat or rely on folk remedies?
What is dry cough?
Coughing in an adult and a child is one of the reflexes that helps to rid the body of excess mucus, germs and foreign bodies. When it becomes suffocating, the liquid does not clear up in the form of phlegm, then this process is called dry cough. Especially dangerous if it appears in the baby. This is a symptom of a viral infection, which can be of a long character, and can go away in a few days, with proper diet and adequate treatment.
When a dry cough in a baby or older child acquires a permanent character, this is a consequence of a serious illness. An inflamed larynx, trachea or tonsils lead to a severe attack, which becomes suffocating and brings the baby to vomiting. In such cases, you should not torture a child, you need to immediately contact the pediatrician, who will tell you what to take and how to soothe the baby.
To stop the incessant dry cough in a child and to alleviate his condition, it is necessary to determine what triggered this process. Modern medicine has several dozen reasons, the occurrence of seizures in children, we list the most frequent of them:
- Acute bronchitis is a consequence of the inflammatory process in the bronchi, which is accompanied by an increase in body temperature to 38 ° C, dry barking cough, and general weakness. Diagnosis is performed by listening to the bronchi with a stethoscope. Treatment of this disease is aimed at diluting the dried mucus in the bronchi. Dry cough caused by acute bronchitis, successfully treated with drugs and folk remedies for 5-7 days.
- Laryngitis and pharyngitis are diseases in which severe laryngeal edema occurs. Accompanied by a continuous swelling in the throat, a sonorous voice becomes hoarse. At the slightest exertion, dyspnea appears. Dry throat does not give the child peace.
- Whooping cough is an ailment that begins with a dry cough, at first it does not bother the child much. After a week, seizures become more intrusive. It is not possible to diagnose pertussis immediately. there is a similarity with the common cold. Often it is confused with an allergic cough. The disease is long, weakly treatable. Pertussis is ill once in a lifetime, then persistent immunity is produced.
- Diphtheria of the oropharynx (croup) is a deadly disease. It is accompanied by an elevated temperature up to 38 ° C, dry barking cough. Over time, it becomes paroxysmal. If you do not call the doctor in time, diphtheria becomes chronic. Often this ailment is complicated by pneumonia.
- Tuberculosis provokes a dry cough in the child. This disease is determined only by clinical analyzes.
- Allergic and cold cough. These two ailments are often similar in their symptoms. Many parents ask themselves: how to distinguish between an allergic cough and a cold? Do it not just without putting the relevant tests. Allergic cough occurs unexpectedly, has a paroxysmal character, colds, on the contrary, increase gradually, moving from a slight cough to deep spasms for a day or more.
- Bronchial asthma is a combination of three components: allergies, low immunity, disruption of the nervous system. During an asthmatic attack, the child, when inhaled and exhaled, hears whistling sounds in the bronchi, there comes a prolonged, dry cough.
- The presence of some species of living organisms (helminths) in the human body contributes to dry cough in the child. Ascarids live not only in the intestines, like the bulk of worms, but move through all the internal organs: getting into the lungs, they cause a dry cough.
Treatment of cough with folk remedies in children
Many parents during the illness of the child do not want to resort to the help of modern medicine. If you do not want to stuff your child with harmful syrups and pills, load a small organism with chemical advertised products, then you can take advantage of the experience of our grandmothers who knew what to treat and how to alleviate the patient's difficult condition. Most types of cough in a child can be cured at home, using folk recipes.
Herbal treatment for many centuries has accumulated a lot of experience and does not cease to show a positive result in the fight against a dry cough in a child. Thanks to the healing properties of plants, many diseases are cured, and the preventive use of natural elements secures the result. Here are a few options for useful herbs:
- Mother-and-stepmother takes the first place in the treatment of all kinds of dry cough. Tannins contained in the leaves of this plant have a diluting effect for thick, viscous sputum, helping it to quickly expectorate. Tea from mother-and-stepmother is drunk warm in the morning, and in combination with natural honey will taste even the most fastidious child. It is advisable to drink it in the evening, before going to bed. Providing anti-inflammatory effect, this plant quickly put on the feet of your baby.
- Licorice root like the previous grass has an expectorant effect on sputum. With proper use, it will quickly cure of bronchitis, laryngitis. Will ease the condition with a debilitating dry cough during an asthmatic attack. Licorice has an anti-inflammatory effect, beneficently influencing the general well-being of the child. Grass is used to improve immunity and restore strength after ailments.
- The root of the althea will help get rid of dry cough due to the large content of essential oils, mucus and ascorbic acid. This herb dilutes the withered phlegm, thanks to the enveloping property, contributing to its rapid excretion from the lungs and bronchi.
- Collection of oregano, calendula, mint, licorice root and violet grass has an effective expectorant effect during a dry cough in a child.
In medicine, mustard greens are used as a warming agent due to the content of essential oil, which causes a rush of blood and leads to a deepening of breathing. Use them with caution. mustard causes increased production of sputum, which can cause spasm in the bronchi and the larynx, hence the complication - obstructive bronchitis. The vapor from the mustard plasters is caustic, and if inhaled, they can cause a mucous burn. The mustard is a distraction, the benefits of this drug have not been proven. Contraindications to use:
- Allergy to mustard. If red spots appear on the back during the application of hot packets, then it is necessary to immediately abandon this procedure.
- Skin diseases.
- Increased body temperature.
- Diseases of the heart and pressure problems.
Children rarely like inhalation, if you manage to persuade your child to breathe over a warm steam, then a dry, prolonged dry cough can be cured quickly without harming your health. Applying this folk way, you will replace them with chemical preparations, syrups and tablets. Advantages of using inhalation for dry cough:
- active moisturizing of the nasopharyngeal mucosa, promotes liquefaction of sputum;
- has an anti-inflammatory effect;
- safety, provided that natural ingredients are used for inhalation;
- adding one or two drops (not more) of lavender essential oil, rosemary or tea tree, you will get a double effect: relieve dry cough and relieve the child of a headache.
But with all the positive qualities that inhalation has, do not forget about contraindications:
- body temperature above normal;
- emphysema (lung disease);
- heart problems;
- presence of purulent sputum.
Do not underestimate the benefits of a simple, at first glance, popular way of cough treatment. During the application of compress on the chest area, deep warming of the tissues takes place. This action has an anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect. Compresses are of several types:
Applying a compress, you need to make sure that the baby's temperature is normal, otherwise it will provoke an even greater increase. Carry out this procedure in the evening, so that after taking off the child immediately went to bed. With care, you need to use a honey compress. Often the child is allergic to this product. Doctors warn parents of alcohol bandages, because, absorbed through the skin, alcohol harms the small body.
Sometimes folk remedies, with all their advantages, do not cope with a neglected disease. Then, to help parents come medication from a night dry cough. To quickly get rid of the disease, you need to seek help from a pediatrician who will tell you how to relieve a fit of cough and prescribe the appropriate treatment. Antitussive medications are taken at night, just before bedtime, and expectorants during the day.
Modern pharmaceuticals consist of several hundred different syrups from cough, expensive and cheap. Made for the child, they have a pleasant sweet taste, the smell, thanks to the fruity additives and natural dyes. This medication is prescribed for children under three years of age. a child of this age is difficult to swallow a pill. Syrups from a dry cough in a child, depending on the cause of its occurrence, have a soft, enveloping effect. Before use, read the instructions carefully, exclude contraindications. There are several types:
- syrup with antitussive effect, for example, "Sinekod". It is prescribed for an unproductive, painful, not ceasing cough. He treats such diseases as pertussis, croup;
- syrup with mucolytic effect, such as "Ambrobe" is prescribed in order to soften the cough and dissolve thick sputum;
- syrup with spasmolytic action, for example, "Pectolvan Ivy", is taken to relieve a painful, barking dry cough.
Preparations for allergic cough
The most effective way to cure this kind of cough is to eliminate the source of allergy. This can be animal hair, dust, chemicals (washing powder, aerosols). In case this did not solve the problem, you need to use the drugstore drugs that suppress the allergic reaction. Only a doctor is entitled to prescribe a treatment. It is necessary to know that such medicines have an effect if you cleaned your house of the cause that caused the allergy. Otherwise, the action will be weak.
To ease the obsessive cough in a child, the doctor often prescribes a dry potion. This drug before consumption is diluted with boiled water and taken internally. Advantages of dry medicine:
- has a natural composition, which includes the root of licorice;
- has a wide range of actions, it is used as an expectorant, relieves spasm, painkiller;
- convenient dosage in the form of bags, used immediately after manufacture;
- large expiration date.
With pneumonia, inflammation of the bronchi, trachea and laryngitis, the doctor, in addition to folk methods, prescribes soluble powders from a cough, such as "ATSTS". This medicine is taken for 7 days. Relief comes on the second day of treatment. Well dissolves the dried sputum and allows it to easily release bronchi and lungs. Due to the irritating and antioxidant effect it fights bacteria and infection, which is caused by ARVI.
What to do if a dry cough does not go away
The longer the child coughs, the faster the coughing habits in the brain are formed. The reason is gone, and the seizures remain for months. In most cases this is due to dehydration of the body, low level of humidity in the house. These reasons are easily eliminated by copious drinking (not carbonated, not sweet drinks), daily wet cleaning, or by the inclusion of an air humidifier (preferably).
Video: Komarovsky on a dry cough
All respected doctor Komarovsky as no one else will be able to talk about the causes of the onset of a prolonged dry cough, how to help alleviate the condition of a sick kid and his parents if the child has cough all night. Available and with the humor inherent in this pediatrician, he will disclose information about the methods of treatment, about contraindications to these or other methods. Answer the most exciting questions of parents.
Feedback on treatment
Irina, 27 years old: "My son is 3 years old. A month ago I started to go to the kindergarten, less than a week passed and fell ill next morning. I returned home with fever. Dry cough only began at night. I did not know what helped in such cases and began to treat it with folk remedies: I made chamomile, mother-and-stepmother and rose hips. After applying herbs, a few days later the cough became wet, the runny nose disappeared. "
Olga, 25 years old: "After discharge from the hospital, my baby has a dry cough. I did not know how to properly treat in children up to a year this disease. The child was without temperature and there were no other signs of a cold. Accidentally I saw the transfer of Dr. Komarovsky, who talked about coughing in children. The reason was found in the soft toys and carpet that were in our room. "
Natalia, 32 years old: "When my child has an unproductive cough, I think it's from the dry air in the house and I know how to stop the illness: I spend wet cleaning in the room, I enter the drinking regime, in the form of clean water and warm tea with honey, I turn on the humidifier for the night from dry air, I air the house. I do not close the window for sleep, even in winter. And that's all! I do not welcome any chemistry, and we do not go to the doctors, we do not drip anything into our nose. "
Methods for removing a strong cough in a child at nightAttacks of night coughing disrupt the sleep of the child, do not rush to give antibacterial drugs, can only worsen the situation. It is important to find out the reason in time, only then to begin the necessary course of therapy. If at night the child is disturbed by a cough that can result in vomiting, the main thing is not to panic. Cough is a defense, it appears in the inflammatory process in the bronchial system, the upper respiratory tract. During the cough, the body is cleared of a large number of bacteria in the disease.
Causes of coughing at night
When a child sleeps, a lot of mucus begins to accumulate in the area of the nasopharynx, it does not resolve, it can stagnate. When a large amount of mucus accumulates, it begins to overlap the area of the nasopharynx, because of this cough is reflex.
This happens to the lungs, when a person lies, mucus and sputum may not resolve at all, because of this, blood circulation in the lungs area may be disturbed. Most often the disease appears in late autumn.
Provokes a paroxysmal cough at night cold, overdried air. Because of it, the mucous membrane is strongly irritated in the larynx, so a strong cough appears.
It is important to treat the cough under the supervision of the therapist, because often, especially in young children, a strong cough at night can cause choking. It must be urgently treated.
Diseases that cause a violent cough at night
1. If a cough is provoked by a viral infection at night, it is accompanied by a strong cold.
2. Cough can appear due to chronic rhinitis, sinusitis.
3. If the cough is accompanied by tingling, perspiration, this indicates pharyngitis of a chronic nature.
4. When a coughing wheezing, it speaks of bronchial asthma. If the child has a mild form other than a cough at night, there are no other symptoms. To clarify the diagnosis, you need to immediately consult a therapist.
5. If the cough lasts a long time at night, while it is dry, it indicates a disease - whooping cough. The disease is easy to distinguish from others, seizures are repeated at the same time, can be aggravated at night. When a child coughs, his face becomes very red, tears appear, lead breath, may be accompanied by severe vomiting.
6. When a child is often troubled by heartburn, a cough at night can be a symptom of reflux.
7. Because of adenoiditis, when the mucus enters the laryngeal region, the child breathes in the air with air, begins to dry out the mucous membrane, a violent cough begins.
8. Care must be taken to the symptom, which is accompanied by high fever, deterioration of the child's condition, it can speak of a serious illness.
Ways of getting rid of a child from a night cough
1. How often can I give a baby at night? With the help of it you can get rid of a dry cough. It is best to prefer warm milk with the addition of Borjomi mineral water, honey, butter, as well as herbal tea based on chamomile, dog rose, linden. When a child does not breathe a nose, he makes it with his mouth. With abundant drinking, you can moisturize your throat, so get rid of a strong cough. If the child has six months, you need to give a decoction on the herbs with a spoon, no more than three times a day, under one teaspoon. If the child is an adult, you can give a decoction on the herbs on a tablespoon.
2. Pay attention to the air in the room, do not allow dry air, constantly ventilate the room, especially when the room is heated, because of it the respiratory system becomes irritated.
3. Often a cough can be triggered by an allergic reaction, this requires the child to give an antihistamine.
4. If the child has not yet reached the age of six months, in no case should antihistamines, rub off the breast, use steam inhalation.
5. Force the child to roll over, so the sputum will not have time to accumulate.
In cases where cough after a course of treatment has not been taken for a long time, it is necessary to consult with the attending physician, blood tests, X-rays, and bronchoscopy.
Remember that coughing always indicates that the body is actively fighting the disease, so not It is worth to focus on the treatment of cough, you need to get rid of the main reason that caused it. Most often at night, an allergic cough worries, so pay attention to which pillow the child is sleeping on, maybe his body does not perceive stuffing from sheepskin, feathers, poor-quality sofa padding, pajamas, on the powders with which the bed is washed. If the cough has appeared abruptly, notice that you have a new one at home, often allergies are aggravated by red eyes, a problem with the skin, dermatitis, itching, redness in the face or body.
That the child was easier to clear his throat, the child's therapist can prescribe medications that will help to get out sputum faster and cough will become productive
If the child's cough is dry at night and it is difficult for him to clear his throat - the doctor can prescribe expectorant medications.
At night, advise to use a compress with potatoes, for this it must be boiled beforehand, a little cool, mash in puree and attach to the back of the child, first go to the diaper, then just compress, so as not to burn the child's skin. On top put on something warm, so that the respiratory organs get warm well. After cooling, the compress is removed.
Thus, cough at night is a symptom of many diseases, do not immediately begin to stuff the child with different medicinal chemical preparations, if he has an allergy and you start giving antibiotics, the situation will only get even worse. The main thing is to monitor the air in the room, give the child plenty of drink and provide him with peace of mind, often in children a strong cough at night can be a consequence of severe stress, nervous strains.
How to calm a child's cough?An ordinary cold or a viral illness - almost any child's malaise of such a plan is accompanied by a cough. Of course, experienced moms know that this is a natural reaction of the body, with the help of which it is released from pathogens and accumulated sputum. But, when the child begins a strong paroxysmal cough, the first thing that parents worry about is how to relieve the baby's condition. Therefore, in the course are any means and means.
Today we will talk about how to calm an attack of a strong cough in a child, depending on its nature and etiology.
How to relieve dry cough in a child?
Basically, an unproductive (dry) cough appears at the outset of a disease that occurs as a result of hypothermia or the penetration of viral agents. The phenomenon is very unpleasant, often accompanied by pain in the throat and nasal congestion. In such cases, in order to calm an obsessive cough in a child, it is necessary to soften and moisten the laryngeal mucosa, since the reflex arises precisely because of its irritation. To facilitate the condition will help a cup of warm milk with cocoa butter and honey, inhalation with essential oils (eucalyptus, lemon balm, mint). During the day, you need to provide a crumb of copious drink. In particular, to soften the mucous membrane and remove the stiff cough of a small child, both children's herbal teas and various plant-based syrups and lozenges will help. It is also recommended to lower the temperature in the children's room and moisten the air.
In emergency situations, a doctor may prescribe medications that block a cough reflex.
How to relieve an attack of a damp cough in a child?
Reproductive cough is a kind of progress in treatment. Although it is much easier to crumbs yet, and parents are still worried about the question of how to relieve the child cough, especially if the attack started at night. In this case, you can warm the baby's legs, do inhalation or rub, you can simply take it to the bathroom and open the tap with hot water. Effective infusions of herbs, mother-and-stepmother, chamomile, calendula and plantain. As for medicines, mucolytics and expectorants are used. However, both can be given to children with extreme caution, and crumbs up to a year are completely undesirable. It is also contraindicated to take mucolytics in combination with drugs that depress the cough reflex.
How to relieve night cough / How to calm night cough
Cough is a protective reaction by which the body tries to remove dust, mucus and other foreign bodies from the respiratory tract. A variety of diseases, such as bronchitis, laryngitis, tracheitis, etc. accompanied by a cough that usually becomes stronger at night. This is due to the difficult withdrawal of mucus from the body in a supine position. Attacks of a night suffocating cough are a content unpleasant phenomenon, which must be combated. How to calm a night cough, read further in the article.
How to relieve night cough by traditional means?
1. If a night cough is caused by swelling of the respiratory tract or allergic reactions, then before going to bed should take an antihistamine a drug, for example, "Loratadin", "Tavegil" or "Suprastin", which will prevent spasms and relieve swelling. Before you start taking it, you should consult a doctor who will prescribe you a regimen and a daily dose.
2. To calm a night dry cough, you need to start taking expectorants, which you should appoint a doctor.
3. Herbal preparation "Mukaltin" can help an adult to calm a night cough. It is necessary to dissolve 3-4 tablets in one glass of warm boiled water and drink this solution during the day.
4. If the cause of dry cough at night is excessive dryness of air, then at night in the bedroom you should use a special humidifier. In addition, the bedroom must necessarily, as often as possible, air and vacuum, so that the dust does not provoke night coughing attacks, and the air was as fresh as possible.
How to relieve night cough with traditional medicine?
1. Relieve the night cough can be stopped in the following way. Add one teaspoon of butter to a glass of milk, boil the mixture. Then add a small pinch of soda into it. After you drink this remedy hot, you will sleep peacefully. If a strong fit of coughing does not give you an opportunity to boil the milk, drink, at least warm water - any warm liquid can soothe for the time a night cough. Using a lot of fluid, you provide an easier exit of sputum from the body. As drinks you can use tea with currants, lemon, raspberries, honey, breast picks.
2. A useful remedy to soothe night cough is the decoction of pine needles. Do inhalation from this decoction or just put it near the bed. Inhaling a pair of pine needles relieves respiratory tract spasms.
3. A good expectorant effect to relieve night cough, have the following herbs: licorice, mother-and-stepmother, elecampane, Ledum. Please note, with expectorant infusions should not simultaneously take antitussive.
4. Relieve the pain in the throat can be with warm vegetable oil. Take a little oil in the mouth, hold it a little and gradually swallow.
5. From dry night cough and perspiration in the throat can be got rid of by rinsing sodo-salt solution with a drop of iodine, and also, infusions of sage, chamomile and oak bark.
Thus, if your child or you are constantly disturbed by coughing attacks at night, you should urgently consult a doctor. Coughing is not a disease in itself, but, it can be evidence of any bacterial or viral infection, laryngitis, bronchitis, violations of the normal functioning of the organs of the gastrointestinal tract and the mass of other diseases. Only an experienced specialist can correctly diagnose a possible disease and prescribe a competent treatment. Coughing attacks, of course, can be alleviated and stopped by various folk methods, but self-medication is not recommended.
Why there is a night cough?
Basically, night cough manifests itself almost at the very beginning of the common cold, initially coughing attacks at night are dry and only later, gradually the cough becomes moist. In general, get rid of dry cough is not always, because bacteria are very irritating to the throat, thereby provoking new attacks. Now let's figure out how to calm a night cough.
Usually, a dry night cough is characteristic only in the first days of the disease, at this time sputum is still coming and nothing clears up. It is because of this that the patient is so hard to get enough sleep and has a very severe headache in the morning. To get rid of dry cough, you can use various procedures that effectively moisturize the respiratory tract. You can resort to folk remedies and methods for treating dry cough, and you can use the pharmacy medications that your doctor will tell you.
How to calm a night cough - proven ways
1. How to calm night cough, if you just get sick, and cough while dry, and accordingly a coughing effect for the present is not present, it is necessary to accept preparations in which codeine is contained. This drug successfully coughs, but it can not be used for more than three days. Therefore, before using this tool, it is best to consult your physician. If you find any side effects, then the medication should be stopped immediately so that your general condition does not worsen, and an even more violent allergic reaction does not develop.
2. The safest way to relieve night cough is by inhalation with steam. To do this, you need to boil one liter of water, add a teaspoon of baking soda. Inhalation occurs in this way, take a container, lean over it, cover the head with a towel and breathe fumes, after the procedure should immediately go to bed. Why soda, first, it softens the mucous membrane, and effectively eliminates pathogenic bacteria. Inhalation is recommended to be performed regularly, best every day 3 or 4 times. You can use essential oils instead of soda, for example, fir, useful tea tree oil.
3. To calm night cough, you can take special expectorant drugs, or make broths from herbs. Very effectively helps the broth from the wild rosemary or from thyme. To make it you will need to boil water and brew 2 tablespoons of the herb in a glass. Take a decoction of 50 ml three times a day. With such a decoction you can cure a dry cough in almost one or several days.
4. To relieve night cough, it is recommended to buy in the drugstore peppermint or other cough drops. They should be absorbed before bedtime, with the help of candies you can soften the mucous throat. And another sudden night attack of a dry cough will be easier. Usually in the pharmacy you can buy pastilles to choose from, with different tastes, different costs, there are quite a lot of them and you can choose from what. Some pastilles in the composition have a decoction of medicinal herbs and essential oils. Such pastilles produce a lot of brands, so you should ask the pharmacist questions, which will tell you on their account. The most common side effects when taking such pastilles are absent, the maximum you can come across with is allergic reactions to individual components.
5. Another way to relieve the attack of a night cough is to dissolve a teaspoon of honey in a cup of warm milk. It is also recommended to add a pinch of soda, stir and slowly drink milk, then immediately lie down to rest.
How can I stop a child's cough?
How to stop a cough in a child - worries all parents. Especially if the child coughs hard, without stopping, suffocates. I want to stop this as soon as possible and help my child calm down.
Cough is a symptom of various diseases. Strong attacks occur most often at night. How to relieve cough in a child? To help the baby correctly, you need to know the cause of the cough. And the reasons can be set, and not always they are connected with catarrhal diseases, the coughing child - usual picture on reception at the pediatrist.
Causes of a cough
Cough is a protective reaction of the body, allowing to clear bronchi and trachea. At quite healthy children there is a slight coughing up to 10-15 times a day (usually in the morning hours) and this is the norm. But when an ailment causes suspicion, is painful for a child, it is necessary to consult a pediatrician.The problem in treating a cough is that often parents do not take it too seriously and are engaged in treatment alone, especially when it is not strong and no other symptoms are accompanied. Nevertheless, almost always the cough has serious causes.
The main reasons for the appearance of cough:
- inflammatory processes in the respiratory tract (bronchitis, tonsillitis, sinusitis, laryngitis, rhinitis, etc.);
- foreign object caught in the throat;
- allergic diseases of the respiratory system, bronchial asthma;
- diseases of the digestive system (often gastroesophageal reflux);
- heart disease;
- helminthic invasions;
- too dry air in the room.
To understand what is the cause of coughing, can only the doctor, after a survey.
Types of cough and its treatment
It is accepted to divide the cough into dry and wet. In the first days of inflammation of the respiratory system, there is a mostly dry cough, then passing into the wet one. But there are many varieties of both dry and wet cough. Depending on the reasons for its occurrence, it happens:
- Acute. Its duration is usually less than three weeks. Typically, it is caused by a viral disease, inflammation in the larynx (laryngitis), trachea, bronchi or lungs. At first it is dry and obtrusive. When tracheitis becomes barking, with laryngitis also with a sore throat. With pneumonia, it is immediately moist and deep. The main task in the occurrence of any signs of acute respiratory disease is the exclusion of pneumonia.
- Sudden. Suddenly, a cough (sometimes accompanied by a whistle) may indicate the presence of a foreign object in the respiratory tract.
- Protracted. Wet cough, most often after acute bronchitis. It happens also with adenoids, nasopharyngitis. Can last from a month or longer. A dry lingering cough occurs in schoolchildren with tracheitis. Happens with whooping cough. Wears paroxysmal, painful.
- Permanent or chronic. It is observed in chronic diseases of the respiratory system. It happens, both wet and dry, depending on the disease.
- Allergic. Dry, paroxysmal and painful. Occurs most often all at once as a sign of an allergic reaction. Sometimes it is a harbinger of bronchial asthma. It is quite difficult to distinguish it from a cold cough. It is necessary to find and eliminate the cause of the allergy.
- Psychogenic. Basically dry. Occurs as a reaction to stressful situations. It is of a persistent nature, it usually begins with ARI, then it becomes regular. It manifests only during the day, during sleep does not arise, to provoke its attack can be, touching on a topic unpleasant for the child. Requires in-depth study and specific treatment.
Treatment of cough is due to the diagnosis. Basically it consists in prescribing drugs that dilute sputum. To establish the diagnosis, the following studies can be assigned:
- chest X-ray;
- bronchoscopy (shown with frequent inflammation of the lungs, bronchitis, to detect a foreign object);
- sputum analysis;
- blood tests, feces and others.
- Observe the drinking regime. When coughing is recommended abundant warm drink - fruit drinks, herbal teas, compotes, water.
- Maintain optimum humidity in the room. This is especially true in winter, when the air in the premises is dry.
- To make medical inhalations. It is good to buy a nebulizer. This device sprays the medicine, allowing it to penetrate into the bronchi immediately. Without consulting a pediatrician, do nothing.
- Use drugs that are prescribed by a doctor. Usually it is an expectorant that removes phlegm, mucus and bacteria. They come in the following forms: liquefying phlegm, stimulating its retreat and combined (both liquefy and stimulate).
In the treatment of cough in a child, antitussive drugs are not recommended, the more you can not give them yourself. They act on the cough center, which is located in the cerebral cortex. This leads to stagnation of mucus, which significantly aggravates the course of the disease. But many make the mistake of giving the child with a wet cough such a drug. It can be prescribed only by a doctor, for example, with whooping cough or in preparation for an operation on the respiratory organs.
Night cough in childrenIn general, the ailment is aggravated at night. His attacks intensify, breaking the sleep of the child. This happens because in the prone position the mucus does not resolve and clogs the nasopharynx, which causes a cough.
At night it is harder to clear the throat, so it is intense and prolonged. The child becomes restless, does not sleep well or can not fall asleep at all. To reduce the number of coughing spells in children, you need to turn them from side to side during sleep.
Cooler and drier than during the day, air at night can also trigger seizures. Therefore, it is important to maintain the optimum temperature and humidity in the children's room. Ventilate it before going to bed. It is recommended to include an air humidifier or hang wet towels around the room.
Most often, night cough bothers children with viral infections, chronic respiratory diseases, bronchial asthma, adenoids, after suffering pertussis (the disease itself is also characterized by night attacks of cough).
How can I calm a child's cough?
Attacks of acute cough are observed with laryngitis. Children have an adult structure of the larynx. They are located above them, the ligaments are thinner and shorter, the lumen is narrower. Therefore, swelling in the inflammation arises from them faster and is dangerous in that it makes breathing very difficult. If the child becomes very difficult to breathe - you need to call an ambulance. Because of these features, coughing in children is much more frequent and lasting.
How to relieve a coughing fit in a child? There are several ways to stop a coughing attack, this will help the following tools:
- baby cough syrup;
How to calm a cough in a child and stop an attack:
- At night coughing. The child must be awakened, placed on the bed and given a warm milk or mineral water, a decoction of chamomile (sage), tea with jam. After that, the cough weakens, the sore throat passes.
- You can give a little honey (if there is no allergy) or butter. Honey or oil must be slowly dissolved. This will ease the sore throat. Very good effect gives honey buckwheat.
- Sometimes children's syrups and cough syrups are good. They contain essential oils and other ingredients that help relieve coughing.
- In some cases, inhalation is effective. It is necessary to give the child to breathe over hot water or use a special inhaler or nebulizer. But take into account that the newborns are up to six months of inhalation contraindicated. Humidification of air is necessary. Dry air is a common cause of sore throat, because of which you constantly want to clear your throat.
- You can soak a child's feet or warm it in the bath, make a grinding of the chest. But only if there is no temperature.
If nothing helps, call a doctor.
All procedures are best done by consulting with the pediatrician, as much depends on the child's age, for example, it is not recommended that small children put mustard plasters, do rubbing.