Stool disorder in the form of diarrhea is a common disorder of the digestive tract. It can take a different length of time depending on the causes. Suffer this disease, not only children, but adults. Therefore, after finding out the cause of diarrhea, it is worthwhile to start timely treatment so as not to dehydrate the body.
- Diarrhea in an adult - which can be the cause
- Symptoms and varieties in color
- How to stop diarrhea fast
- Home Treatment
- Treatment with medicines
- Treatment with folk remedies
- Diets with diarrhea
Treatment of diarrhea in pregnancy at a later date Causes and treatment of diarrhea with blood in adults Diarrhea in early pregnancy - what to do and what to treat Diarrhea in adults - reasons and treatment at home We treat fast diarrhea at home
Diarrhea in an adult - which can be the cause
Disruption of the gastrointestinal tract in the form of diarrhea or diarrhea is a quickened liquid or cough-like stool. As a rule, a frequent stool, caused by a disorder of the intestine, runs without temperature. Diarrhea can last from one day to several weeks, depending on the causes and severity of the course. If the disorder of the stool is observed for more than 21 days, then chronic diarrhea is diagnosed.
Causes that can lead to diarrhea:
- viral and bacterial infections;
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract associated with a violation of the production of enzymes;
- non-infectious inflammatory processes in the intestine;
- hormonal disorders;
- reaction to taking medicines - after taking antibiotics, the balance of the intestinal microflora is often disturbed;
- neurogenic factors;
- recovery period after surgery on the digestive tract;
- a sharp change in climate and diet;
- overeating and indigestion.
This is not a complete list, diarrhea can be caused by a variety of reasons.
Symptoms and varieties in color
Possible symptoms that accompany an adult with diarrhea:
- general deterioration of health;
- nausea, attacks of vomiting;
In some cases there is a discoloration of the stool. It depends on the causes of diarrhea. Green diarrhea often accompanies dysentery. Its coloring in a similar color is associated with a violation of the balance of the intestinal microflora caused by the transmitted infectious diseases and against this background by the use of strong antibiotics. Diarrhea of green color can be accompanied by a characteristic fetid specific odor.
White diarrhea is more common in children, mostly up to a year. It can be caused by excessive feeding of the child with an artificial mixture or starting during the period of complementary feeding. In older children, it appears as a result of indigestion of complex carbohydrates.
Causes of white diarrhea:
- disruption of the gallbladder;
- taking medications - antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, oral contraceptives;
- dysbacteriosis and dehydration of the body.
Depending on the cause, vomiting and diarrhea may occur-symptoms of food poisoning or intestinal infection.
In some cases, there may be frequent stools, but not diarrhea, which can be caused by increased intake of foods rich in fiber and stimulating peristalsis, and fermented milk products.
- Yellow diarrhea is due to the fact that the passage of stools through the intestines is carried out at an accelerated pace, and they do not have time to form properly. However, partial absorption of the active substances and their enzymatic treatment takes place.
- Black diarrhea can be caused by two causes: a stomach bleeding and eating a large amount of beet, the reception of activated charcoal.
- Diarrhea with mucus may occur for various reasons, the symptoms should be considered together, since diagnosis of only one symptom is difficult.
- The cause of diarrhea with water is dysentery, which leads to frequent, profuse emptying of the intestines, which causes severe dehydration of the body. Urgent medical care is required.
- Diarrhea with foam is a symptom of infectious infection, in addition there are symptoms: general malaise, weakness, temperature.
Important!Deterioration of overall health, changes in color and volume of feces, diarrhea with blood, mucus in stools suggests the need to see a doctor to determine the cause of diarrhea.
How to stop diarrhea fast
In most cases, with not complicated by other symptoms of diarrhea, you can cope with it yourself. The main task of the patient is to prevent dehydration of the body. To this end, it is necessary not only to consume more liquid, but also to maintain water-salt metabolism.
- To this end, rehydrating drug - Regidron. In his absence, you can prepare saline by adding a little salt to the water, such a remedy will be useful throughout the period of the disease.
- Chamomile tea is also useful. The fluid must be drunk frequently, throughout the period when diarrhea is observed.
- One of the most accessible means as an absorbent is activated charcoal. It must be taken at the first symptoms of diarrhea in an amount of 5-10 tablets.
It is necessary to limit the food. The intake of food should be small frequent portions, exclude heavy food.
With prolonged copious diarrhea, deterioration of well-being, vomiting, pains and spasms in the abdomen and other symptoms that aggravate the patient's condition, medical care is needed.
When treating diarrhea at home, the patient must comply with:
- rest - especially in cases when diarrhea is caused by stress, it is possible to take sedatives;
- reception of a sufficient amount of fluid - diarrhea is fraught with dehydration;
- diet - at the first sign of diarrhea food should be adjusted;
- taking appropriate medications.
Effective home remedy for diarrhea - phytotherapy, which includes the reception of herbal decoctions.
Restrict to treatment at home is possible only in those cases when there is no temperature over 390, there is no vomiting, the color of the stool is not changed.
Important!Long-term diarrhea accompanied by other symptoms requires qualified medical care and appropriate treatment.
Treatment with medicines
The purpose of medications depends on the causes of diarrhea.
- sorbent reception - activated carbon, smectite, kaolin;
- means aimed at reducing intestinal secretion - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as indomethacin, diclofenac;
- enzymes - mezim, creon, pancreatin;
- probiotics - bifidobacterin, lactobacterin;
- tablets that have an effect on the intestinal motility - loperamide, imodium.
Important!The medication should be administered on time and according to the instructions, since the joint intake of certain types of medicines can reduce their effectiveness. This applies in particular to the intake of absorbents.
Treatment with folk remedies
Treatment with folk remedies is possible in the absence of other symptoms, in addition to a loose stool. Used broths of astringent herbs, aimed at reducing the secretion of the intestine.
For this purpose, use a decoction from the bark of oak, cones of alder, cherry fruit, chamomile. For its use 1 tbsp. l. any herb or a mixture of them pour a glass of water at room temperature, put in a water bath and bring to a boil, simmer for 10 minutes. Cool, strain and take 3-4 times a day for half a glass.
As an agent against diarrhea, infusion of walnut partitions is effective. It must be prepared in advance. 300 g of septum nuts pour 1 glass of vodka or alcohol, insist 3-5 days. Take 5-10 drops to 4 times a day. The course of treatment continues until symptoms are eliminated.
In disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, infusion of mint leaves is useful. 1 tbsp. l. peppermint pour 1 cup boiling water, cool, strain and take half the glass on an empty stomach until the state is normal.
Helps reduce the symptoms of diarrhea of bird cherry. They have astringent, antiseptic action. They can be used in the form of infusion, jelly, tea. The infusion is prepared from 4 tbsp. l. fruits, they must be poured with 1 glass of cold water, infused for 8 hours. Drink during the day in small sips. For making tea 1 tbsp. l. Fruit pour a glass of boiling water.
Potato starch is used in disorders of the gastrointestinal tract and diarrhea. 1 hour l. dissolve in half a glass of cold water, drink in a gulp.
Diets with diarrhea
In the period of the disorder of the intestine, a strict diet is required to prevent new diarrhea attacks and facilitate the work of the digestive tract.
What to give at first? The first day should be limited to the preferential use of liquid, say black tea with milk and without, a decoction of bird cherries or chamomile, blueberry jelly, breadcrumbs of white wheat bread.
What can you eat with diarrhea? Porridges on the water, lean meat and fish in boiled fried form, crackers, biscuits, baked apples. Food should be heated to a comfortable temperature, thoroughly chewed and eat in small portions. If necessary, take prescribed medications while eating.
Nutrition for diarrhea strictly excludes:
- fatty meat and fish;
- fried food;
- carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol;
- spicy food;
- smoked products;
Vegetables and fruits should also be limited at the time of treatment and restore normal bowel function. An exception can be a potato. Its use in the boiled form on the action is similar to absorbent drugs.
Adhere to the diet should be at least a week, then the diet is expanded and returns to the usual.
Disorders of the bowel affect both adults and children. There are many reasons for its occurrence. As preventive measures for the appearance of diarrhea:
- adhere to the rules of personal hygiene - wash your hands with soap in hot water after the street, visiting the toilet, contact with animals;
- fruits and vegetables before washing to wash - the best option is to beat them with boiling water;
- use only fresh food for food - adhere to the shelf life and storage conditions of products;
- avoid stressful situations or take sedatives;
- store food in the refrigerator in a clean container, it is also unacceptable to store the finished and raw products together;
- avoid food in public places where foodstuffs stay for a long time outside the refrigerator or are not freshly prepared;
- to consume pure water: filtered or bottled.
When visiting countries with exotic climate and food, you should carefully experiment with the kitchen, as an unusual diet can cause a strong bowel disorder. Also, do not consume local raw water to avoid the risk of catching an infection. Before the trip, you should prepare a first aid kit in case of unforeseen circumstances, as well as consult a doctor if there is a tendency to intestinal disorders.
Given the variety of causes of diarrhea and the factors that contribute to its appearance, one should pay close attention to personal hygiene and contact the doctor in a timely manner.