Pinch of the sciatic nerve is a pathological manifestation that occurs when the largest nerve in the human body located in the musculoskeletal tunnel is squeezed and manifested by severe pain in the leg.
Usually pathology develops on the one hand.
In the zone of risk of manifestations of the disease - men engaged in heavy physical activity. The most common pinch of the sciatic nerve is manifested at the age of 30 years.
The pathology can be completely eliminated if the doctor visits the neurologist on time for diagnostic and competent treatment, and if all the prescriptions and recommendations of the specialist are observed.
Causes of the disease
The factors that affect the pinch of the sciatic nerve are :
- Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine. In this case, the nerve is in a compressed state between the displaced vertebrae. Intervertebral hernia in the lumbar spine.
- Injuries of the spine, characterized by displacement of the vertebrae - subluxations, dislocations and fractures.
- Pregnancy, especially in the 3rd semester.
- Inflammation of muscles.
- Significant and frequent physical activity.
- Abscesses of the rectum, localized in the lumbar region.
- Tumors of the spine.
- Spondylosis of the lumbosacral spine.
- Degenerative spondylolitis.
For reasons that increase the likelihood of developing a pinched nerve, include:
- herpes zoster;
- frequent and prolonged hypothermia;
- tuberculosis of the spine;
- diabetes, causing nerve pathology;
- multiple sclerosis;
- effects on the body of toxins and heavy metals;
- diseases of pelvic organs of an inflammatory nature;
- excess weight.
Symptoms of pathology
The main manifestation of a pinch of the sciatic nerve is severe pain in the buttock and leg.
Painful sensations have the following characteristics:
- cutting, burning and stitching;
- pain reaches such a strength that a person can lose consciousness;
- condition is improved when lying;
- seizure often occurs at night after heavy physical work or hypothermia, as well as a combination of both negative factors;
- pain increases with coughing, sneezing and laughing;
- in standing position a person can not rest on a sore leg;
- there are pain intensifications during standing, walking and sitting on a hard surface;
- symptom first manifests itself in the region of the back surface of the thigh, then - on the leg and legs;
- when the attack subsides, the residual pain sensations remain in the lower back.
Excessive sweating of the legs, abnormal gait, weakness of the muscles in the affected area, inability to flex the leg in the knee or the difficulty of performing this action, burning and tingling in the foot and lower leg, breaking of the foot turn and bending of the fingers are observed in addition to the pain sensations in the pinch of the sciatic nerve.
Symptoms of bursitis of the knee joint and treatment at home.
How to provide first aid for kidney colic? Find out by reading the article on the link.
Diagnosis of the disease
First of all, the specialist will interview the patient to identify the pathological complaints and perform a qualified examination, which shows a decrease in sensitivity on the affected side and changes in tendon reflexes.
To determine the cause of pinching of the sciatic nerve, the doctor prescribes the following diagnostic tests:
- Computed tomography - allows you to see the minimal changes in the spinal column.
- Radiography of the spine - examinations can detect gross bone pathologies.
- Ultrasound examination of pelvic organs.
- Magnetic resonance imaging.
- Radioisotope scanning of the spine - allows you to diagnose a tumor.
It is important to start competent treatment in time to avoid the development of unpleasant complications: spontaneous defecation, urinary incontinence, significant pain, curvature of posture, loss of sensitivity or complete limitation of limb mobility, necrosis of nerve roots.
Treatment of pathology
There are two main areas of treatment - conservative and surgical.
In case of exacerbation the patient is recommended bed rest , the bed should be with a hard mattress. It is necessary to limit the motor activity and perform hygiene procedures only with outside support. When the state improves, it is allowed to expand the regime, but it is necessary to use the cane.
The special diet of is important during an exacerbation period when a person complies with bed rest. From the daily diet is recommended to exclude smoked, fried and spicy food. Dishes should be in a warm form. To exclude constipation should include in the food liquid food - meat, dairy and vegetable soups, cereals in milk.
Among drugs, the following drugs are prescribed:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - Ibuprofen, Orthofen, Dexalgin, Denebol, Ketanov. At the initial stage of therapy, drugs are administered intramuscularly, then it is possible to use drugs in the form of tablets.
- Ointments and gels - Voltaren, Finalgon, Diclofenac.
- Means for protecting the gastric mucosa - Kwamatel, Ranitidine, Rabeprozol in combination with Fosfalugel, Almagel, Maalox.
- Preparations for the removal of spasms of the muscles of the back - Sirdalud, Mikodalm.
- Group B vitamins for normalizing the interaction of tissues with the affected nerve - Neurorubin, Milgamma.
- With intolerable pain, Novocain blockades are used.
On the second day after the manifestation of the disease, special therapeutic exercises are recommended, representing the movements of the foot and fingers. Further during the therapy, the patient is selected an individual gymnastic complex in accordance with the causes of pinching of the sciatic nerve.
exercise therapy can include the following exercises:
- knee flexion in the knees;
- lying with raised at an angle of 90 degrees with legs with the buttocks against the hard surface;
- rotation hips and others.
Positive effect on the patient's condition is provided by the physiotherapeutic effect of , which includes the following procedures:
- electrophoresis with Midokalm, No-shpoy, Novokainom.
- paraffin applications;
- magnetic laser therapy.
After reducing the inflammation of , it is recommended to use needle applicators, massage, hirudotherapy and acupuncture.
After the period of exacerbation of , a positive effect on the condition is provided by sanatorium treatment, which allows to achieve full recovery and exclude the risk of recurrence of the disease.
In severe and neglected cases, surgical treatment of disease - laminectomy, microdiscectomy, puncture laser discectomy, radiofrequency thermal annuloplasty, facetectomy and percutaneous automated discectomy - is used.
In folk medicine, there are many recipes that help alleviate the condition of the patient, which are not refuted by medical workers. But before using any product on the basis of natural components, you should always consult with your doctor.
The most effective folk recipes are as follows:
- In 200 ml of vodka should be insisted for 3 days at a cool temperature of 18-20 bay leaves medium size. The resulting healing mixture is recommended for rubbing into the sacral area. The positive effect is noticeable after 4-5 procedures.
- To prepare a remedy, you need to form a cake of 200 grams of flour and 1 tablespoon of honey .The resulting mass is applied to the sacrum before the night rest, covering with cellophane and warming with a dense woolen cloth. Reduction of pain is noticeable already in the morning.
- You can rinse affected areas with infusion from fir or pine buds, needles or dandelions of .To prepare the product in a jar of 0.5 liters, place the medicinal components and pour in vodka. Next, the remedy should be infused in a dark place for 1 week.
- To carefully grated hoppers add 1 tablespoon butter or lard fat .The ingredients are well mixed, and the agent is rubbed into the area of the hindered sciatic nerve.
- 5 liters of water is combined with 1 kg of oak bark and spruce , the resulting mass is boiled for about 30 minutes, filtered and added to the prepared water for taking a bath. The total water temperature should be a maximum of 37 degrees.
- In 1 cup of boiled water, dissolve 1 teaspoon of cranberry leaves .Use the product is recommended for 0.5 cup inside 3 times during the day.
- The following healing collection possesses a soothing and analgesic effect: the blackberry leaves, oregano, thyme and rosehip fruits are combined in a ratio of 2: 5: 3: 3, ground into a fine powder and used for brewing therapeutic tea that can be drunk during the day.
For maximum safety and effectiveness of folk remedies, it is recommended to follow the rules of preparation and use of recipes exactly.
What is Morton's neuroma: symptoms and treatment at home.
How to quickly cure otitis in children with the help of folk remedies? Read in this article.
For the reasons and treatment of hypotension, you can find the link - http: //netlekarstvam.com/ narodnye-sredstva / serdtse-i-sosudy / gipotoniya.html
Prevention of the disease
To avoid pinching of the sciatic nerve, it is recommended to follow simple measures for the prevention of pathology:
- Eliminate vertebral diseases.
- Conduct preventive examinations of the spine - computer tomography or X-ray.
- Get rid of extra pounds and try to maintain weight in the norm.
- Do not walk too often on high heels and on the platform.
- It is useful to conduct general massage courses.
- Do not lift the sharp weight.
- Take regular walks in the fresh air.
- It is recommended to sleep on a hard surface.
- Perform morning exercises regularly.
- Observe the correct posture.
- Do not sit on excessively low and soft chairs.
- Avoid hypothermia.
- To strengthen and stretch the back muscles, it is useful to practice yoga or swimming.
If you find the first alarming signs of the disease, you should contact physician as soon as possible to diagnose and prescribe competent treatment, including traditional and popular effective methods of eliminating pathology.
Only with timely assistance the patient will be able to avoid surgical intervention, quickly return to the old way of life without pain and avoid deterioration.
Also see useful video on the topic of the article: