The human coccyx does not perform any important functions, but close to it there are many nerve endings, which can cause discomfort. Pain in the coccyx - the reasons for men may be different, to provoke them may problems with vertebra, serious pathologies in other systems.
- Treatment of pain in coccyx
The causes of pain in the coccyx in women Pain in the coccyx by sitting: reasons and treatment Pain in the coccyx in pregnancy: causes and treatment We get rid of pain in the coccyx at home We treat a sore throat at home - easily and quickly
Anatomical features of the structure of the male vertebra make it less mobile than in women. Therefore, the diseases of the supporting system should be less frequent for them. But an unhealthy lifestyle, inattention to one's own health leads to a quick cause of deformation of the vertebrae.
Important!Coccygeal pains often indicate the diseases of the intestine and bladder, arise from problems
The main factors that can cause pain in the coccyx:
- pathological changes in the spinal column - osteochondrosis, pinching of the nerve roots;
- pain syndrome occurs with a fall, sometimes manifests a few years after the injury;
- tumors, metastases;
- constant sitting on soft sofas and armchairs - vertebrae are deformed, change their habitual position
- nervous and physical overwork;
- diseases of the rectum - anal fissures, hemorrhoids.
Important!About the causes of pain in the coccyx in women, we wrote here.
Sometimes unpleasant sensations can be caused by adhesive processes that have arisen after surgical interventions, developmental anomalies.
In men on the coccyx, there may be a slight swelling, a cone, which causes severe pain - the coccyx cyst. This pathology develops against the background of the epithelial coccygeal path, inflammatory processes in the hair follicles, chronic trauma, festering fistula, abscess.
Pain in the coccyx at night often increases. The main reasons - a poor-quality mattress, an incorrect position of the body during sleep, excess weight. Strong night pains are characteristic for all chronic proctologic diseases, can testify to presence of tumors of pelvic bones.
The coccyx consists of cartilaginous tissue and 4-5 bones, is mobilely connected to the sacrum, and the muscles of the pelvic floor are attached to it. Therefore, pain syndrome and inflammatory processes often occur against the background of problems with the organs of the small pelvis.
- Pain in the coccyx region is often piercing, discomfort can be permanent or periodic.
- Discomfort can be localized directly in the coccyx, or in nearby tissues.
- The pain below the coccyx may be caused by trauma to the pelvic bones, or other parts of the spine.
- If the acute pain is caused by general pathological changes in the spine, then it feels like a jamming of the nerve endings. A thorough diagnosis and correct treatment are necessary.
Important!About the symptoms and treatment of pain in the coccyx during pregnancy, read in our article.
Deaf, aching pain in the coccyx is one of the most dangerous symptoms, which often indicates the presence of inflammatory processes in the genitals. If such a symptom is constantly ignored, then over time the probability of diagnosing prostate adenoma is high.
Important!If a vascular network is found on the sacrum, the child should immediately consult a doctor. Such a sign signals the presence of benign or malignant tumors in the spine.
Methods of self-diagnosis of pathological changes in the coccyx:
- pain syndrome increases with prolonged sitting position, standing and walking easier;
- painfully to rise from a chair, to bend forward;
- the act of defecation is painful;
- intolerable muscle pain around the coccyx;
- fall, injury, infatuation with extreme sports;
- work associated with long trips.
With pathological changes in the rectum, pain in the coccyx is accompanied by a difficult act of defecation, constipation, in the feces can be present impurities of blood. It is impossible to stay in the sitting position for a long time, because a strong pain syndrome in the anus area disturbs, sometimes there is a subfebrile temperature.
If the coccygeal pains are accompanied by unpleasant sensations in the groin, painful urination, mucous and purulent discharge from the urethra - this indicates an acute or chronic prostatitis.
Important!Learn more about the causes and treatment of pain in the coccyx when sitting.
If there is pain in the sacrum, you must visit the therapist. On the basis of complaints the doctor will give a referral to the orthopedist, traumatologist, proctologist. At the initial stage of diagnosis it is necessary to pass an analysis of urine, blood, lymph.
Radiography is an obligatory type of research for pain in the sacrum. With its help you can see how the bones of the coccyx are located, whether there are changes in the shape and structure of the bones, to detect fresh and chronic traumas.
If you suspect a disease of the rectum, you will additionally have to undergo a digital rectal examination, make ultrasound of the pelvic organs, a biopsy to exclude the presence of tumors and inflammatory processes.
Important!If there is a suspected presence of metastases, radioactive isotopes are introduced into the body, and then their radiation is recorded.
MRI helps to identify and exclude pathological changes and hernias in the lumbar spine. With magnetic resonance examination of the pelvic organs, inflammatory processes in the bladder are seen.
Treatment of pain in coccyx
The basis of conservative treatment is pain medication.
- If the pain is moderate, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs will help - Ibuprofen, Naproxen. They are used in the form of microclysters or candles.
- Strong pain syndrome is eliminated with the help of Novocain blockade, injections are made into soft tissues around the coccyx. For injections, you can use Diprospan, Kenalog.
In addition, prescribe intake of laxatives of plant origin. To reduce pain, doctors recommend sitting on special pillows, which help relieve the area of the sacrum.
Not only medicines, but manual and physiotherapy are used in the treatment. Manual therapy improves blood circulation, blood stasis and muscle spasms disappear, and the coccyx's mobility is restored. Acupuncture significantly reduces the manifestation of pain syndrome.
Effective methods of physiotherapy:
- mud therapy and paraffin therapy;
- ultrasound and UHF;
Important!Many injuries of the spine require surgical intervention - an old or fresh fracture of the coccyx dislocation, closed fracture with or without displacement.
At home, to relieve pain, you can rub fir oil into the coccyx region, or make a mixture of 30 ml of vinegar and 60 ml of warm honey. But home treatment is not recommended for diseases of the tailbone, it is necessary to undergo a preliminary examination in order to establish the cause of the pain syndrome.
Important!The coccyx hurts: how to treat at home? Read here.
Special exercises will help reduce pain in the coccyx, they contribute to relaxation and strengthening of muscles. Exercise should be done slowly, smoothly, it is necessary to do a little respite between exercises. The complex must be done in the morning and in the evening.
LFK with coccygeal pain:
- Lie on your back, the surface should be flat and stiff. Legs bend at the knees, slowly lower them to the floor in different directions. Try to bring your knees back to their original position, while resisting with palms. Do 10-12 repetitions with an interval of 15 seconds.
- Without changing the starting position, press between the knees a ball of medium diameter, place the palms in the navel area. Knees press on the ball, while the hands must put pressure on the stomach, prevent it from bulging. The number of repetitions is 7, they need to be done with a break of 10 seconds.
- In the same position, the ball is clamped with feet of straight legs. Squeeze the ball, count to 5, relax for 10 seconds. Make 7 repetitions.
- The initial position too, bend the knees, dilute them to the sides, raise the pelvis, strain the gluteal muscles. Lock the position for 5 seconds, relax. Repeat the exercise 8 times.
Important!With pain in the coccyx, you can not run, jump, walk fast, make sudden jerky movements.
Pain in the coccyx in men may indicate pathologies of varying degrees of complexity. To prevent the appearance of unpleasant symptoms, you need to monitor the weight, try to eat less unhealthy food and alcoholic beverages, exercise regularly, do not forget to visit a doctor on time.