- Physiological (natural) pain in pregnancy
- Pain of a pathological nature accompanying pregnancy
- Possible diseases with abdominal pain
- Related Videos
The reason why the abdomen hurts early in pregnancy is not always the threat of bearing. Pain can also be caused by digestive tract diseases. Do not forget that the onset of pregnancy is accompanied by a powerful hormonal restructuring, so the risk of exacerbation of chronic pathologies or the development of new ones is high.
Physiological (natural) pain in pregnancy
Can stomach ache at the onset of gestation for physiological reasons? Yes, it is possible. And for the most part of all cases the stomach hurts in the first days of pregnancy for quite natural reasons. To worry about this woman is not worth it. Physiological soreness does not cause any particular inconvenience and is practically invisible to it.
In the first week of pregnancy, pain can occur as a result of the introduction of the fetal egg into the endometrial mucosa. Sometimes it is accompanied by a slight bleeding: a woman can notice a little blood on her underwear. And this unscheduled bleeding can be a sign that she is pregnant.
In the first month of pregnancy, the soreness in the lower abdomen is caused by the significant production of progesterone, and also as a result of other changes taking place in the body. All this does not require medical treatment and should not frighten a woman.
Most often, abdominal pains in the early gestation period occur due to natural causes
Pain of a pathological nature accompanying pregnancy
But in the early stages of gestation, abdominal pain can also be threatened for its further development. During the first trimester of pregnancy, diagnosis is not ruled out:
- Dead pregnancy. The condition is characterized by a halt in the development of the fetus and its death. There is a natural abortion of the fetus, which is accompanied by painful spasms in the lower abdomen.
- Ectopic pregnancy. Fixation and development of the fetal egg occurs in the cavity of the uterine tube. When its diameter is exceeded, a break occurs, which is accompanied by a strong painful syndrome.
- Threats of abortion. Sometimes the abdomen hurts in the first weeks of pregnancy with the development of the threat of spontaneous interruption of gestation. In this case, a detachment of the fetal egg occurs, accompanied not only by pain, but also by the presence of bloody discharge. They can represent both light smear and full-fledged bleeding. The power of pain can also vary. Started on time treatment in certain cases can save the fetus.
- Yellow body cysts. The yellow body is used to maintain the pregnancy at the beginning of its development. Its task is the production of progesterone until the formation of the placenta is completed. The cyst formation is accompanied by painful pulling. Treatment of the cyst does not require, but can burst as a result of significant physical exertion. To become the reason for violation of integrity can be sexual contact. Symptoms are quite specific - severe pain, heavy internal bleeding.
Abdominal pain in early pregnancy may indicate a miscarriage
Possible diseases with abdominal pain
In addition to gynecological problems, a woman can develop other diseases that are not associated with the development of gestation.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
If a woman has a stomachache in early pregnancy, and the pain syndrome is weakened after the release of the intestine, then the irritable bowel syndrome may become the cause. As additional symptoms may act:
- diarrhea / constipation;
- increased gassing;
- the content in the feces of mucous particles;
- persistent urge to defecate.
Treatment of the disease consists in following a diet. It is recommended that pregnant women drink as much pure water as possible, reducing, or better completely giving up caffeine, and also increasing the volume of products containing fiber.
Sometimes the abdomen hurts during pregnancy in the early stages as a result of the development of diverticulitis. The disease is accompanied by the formation of spherical capsules on the mucosa of the large intestine, which then become infected and become inflamed as a result of infection with the fecal masses.
Symptoms of diverticulitis become:
- increased total body temperature;
- nausea, resulting in vomiting;
Treatment of the disease should be handled by a specialist. The doctor can prescribe antibiotics and pain medications taking into account developing gestation, as well as observance of bed rest and liquid diet. In exceptional cases, if the disease threatens the development of pregnancy, therapy can be carried out in a hospital.
Acute appendicitis is the next reason why specific pain may occur in the abdomen during early pregnancy. This disease is very dangerous and requires immediate surgical treatment.
The signs of appendicitis include:
- Suddenly developing pain syndrome, localized in the periapical zone. Later soreness captures the entire abdomen, and after a few hours from the onset of the attack, it descends to the bottom, sensing to the right. The pain is felt constantly and bearable.
- Increased body temperature, sometimes accompanied by nausea and vomiting.
- The localization of soreness depends on the location of the inflamed vermiform appendage. If it is located under the liver, the pain is determined in the upper right side of the abdomen. When he leaves behind the cecum, he will be ill on the right side of the lower back. Sometimes soreness captures the entire abdomen.
A sharp cessation of pain indicates a breakthrough in the inflamed vermiform appendage. When this symptom occurs, the pregnant woman needs urgent hospitalization.
Exacerbation of peptic ulcer
In the first weeks of pregnancy the stomach hurts, what to it can be the reason? Changing the hormonal background can provoke exacerbations of ulcer pathology. Pain in the abdomen in this case occurs several hours after eating.
Exacerbation of the ulcer is accompanied by a fairly typical symptomatology: the completion of a painful attack is abundantly vomiting, bringing relief, mainly soreness is determined in the middle upper abdomen, sometimes in the hypochondrium, rarely in the lower abdomen.
The pain intensification is fixed during the physical exertion and somewhat abates in the position with legs tightened to the abdomen. The incessant pain syndrome is typical for ulcers that penetrate the pancreatic tissue.
Perforation of gastric or duodenal ulcer
In the first month of pregnancy, the stomach may ache as a result of exacerbation of peptic ulcer of the stomach or duodenum. A very dangerous condition becomes perforation (breakthrough) of the ulcer, in which the contents of the organ pour out into the abdominal cavity.
Perforation of the ulcer is accompanied by severe, sometimes intolerable pains
For pathology, incredibly strong pains of a dagger character are typical, developing without any prerequisites. Additional signs are:
- tenderness in the epigastric region;
- taking a forced posture - a woman presses her legs to her stomach;
- restriction of breathing - it becomes superficial, the muscles of the abdomen are very painful and practically do not participate in breathing;
- blanching of the skin;
- the appearance of cold sweat;
- reduction of pulse.
At the very beginning of the disease, soreness is felt in the region of the right hypochondrium. Then it can extend to the back area, the surface of the right shoulder, the scapular and subclavian zone. In rare cases, pain gives to the left.
After 6 hours from the onset of the disease (the second stage), the pregnant woman develops the symptomatology of peritonitis: increased heart rate, an increase in the overall temperature, the tongue becomes dry, bloating is observed with a simultaneous delay of feces and gases. At the third stage - 12-14 hours after the occurred perforation - there is an increase in the symptoms of peritonitis.
The abdomen becomes palpated as a board
Acute intestinal obstruction
Obstruction is the violation of the evacuation process of the contents of the gastrointestinal tract, caused by various pathological conditions. And this is also one of the possible causes of pain in the abdomen in the early stages of pregnancy.
The disease has an acute onset. It is accompanied by a constant cramping pain, which is strengthened by the obturation format of pathology - when the lumen of the intestine is covered by calcified stones, tumors, coils of worms or foreign bodies. With intestinal obstruction caused by spikes, infringed hernias or spikes, the stronger and uninterrupted.
The second frequent symptom of intestinal obstruction is vomiting. When you look at the tongue, its dryness is noted. In later stages, bloating, a decrease in heart rate and a decrease in blood pressure are observed.
Exacerbation of chronic enteritis
The cause of why there are pains in the lower abdomen at the beginning of pregnancy, may become an exacerbation of chronic enterocolitis. For the disease is characterized by the development of inflammation of the mucosa of the small intestine in some cases, combined with a lesion of the mucosa of the large intestine - enterocolitis.
At the beginning of the development of pregnancy, the exacerbation of the gastrointestinal pathology
The clinical picture of the disease is as follows:
- dull, diffuse pain localized in the upper / lower abdomen;
- severity of the stomach;
- feeling of bursting in the epigastric zone;
- deterioration of appetite;
- rumbling and bloating.
Acute form of pancreatitis
Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas and is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- incessant pains in the epigastric region, irradiating to the shoulders, shoulder blades - most often the woman describes them as girdling;
- nausea and vomiting, not bringing relief;
- The stomach remains swollen and tense;
- the development of jaundice is not ruled out.
The causes of the acute form of pancreatitis are diseases of the liver and bile ducts, as well as other digestive organs. At the very beginning of the attack, the pain extends to the left (less often right) hypochondrium region. They can give to the left shoulder blade, but in severe cases they are shrouded in nature. The nature of pain is long, contracting.
Exacerbation of the chronic form of colitis
In some cases, in the early stages of pregnancy, the abdominal pain hurts because of an exacerbation of the chronic colitis format, an inflammation of the mucosal surface lining the inner surface of the colon. The reason is the presence in the diet of a large volume of carbohydrates and a lack of protein foods, as well as the use of rough and poorly processed food.
Symptoms of the disease are:
- minor soreness, localized in the lower abdomen;
- feeling of heaviness and burning in the rectum;
- rumbling and pain in the projection of the rectum.
The cause of hepatic colic becomes the overlapping of the bile ducts with stones of different sizes. The state develops suddenly. The woman has a rapidly increasing intensity in her intensity in the area of the right hypochondrium, which becomes stronger in the supine position on the left side during a deep inspiration.
The attack in pregnant women can last as long as you want: from several hours to several days
It passes heavily and is accompanied by the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting with vomiting bile - it does not bring relief, staining the sclera in yellow of different intensity, increasing the overall body temperature. A woman needs to provide bed rest. Acceptance of any medications is prohibited, as well as food and water.
Pathologies of the gallbladder
If the pregnant woman began to have a stomach ache in the right hypochondrium, and the soreness began to increase after eating, then this is a typical sign of the development of cholecystitis - inflammation of the gallbladder walls.
For the acute form of the disease, the following symptoms are typical:
- acute pain of a pulsating nature;
- nausea, often resulting in vomiting;
- the appearance in the mouth of a bitter taste.
The development of hepatic colic, provoked by blockage of the bile ducts, indicates the appearance of almost intolerable pain in the right hypochondrium. Exacerbation or development of cholecystitis requires drug treatment.
Selection of drugs should be handled by a qualified specialist, since it is necessary to take into account the position of the patient. Pain in the abdomen at the onset of pregnancy may have different causes. And with the appearance of pathological symptoms, a woman needs medical advice.