Watermelon is a berry related to melons.
It has a high content of useful elements and low calorie content, so the value of watermelons for human health is high enough.
But there are some contraindications, which you should read before eating this delicious and fragrant fruit.
- Chemical composition
- Useful properties
- Harmful and prudent
- Contraindications to application
- Daily norm
- How to choose ripe and sweet
The benefits of watermelon are determined by the elements in it( per 100 gr of edible part) - vitamins:
- 0.1 mg beta-carotene;
- 0.06 mg B2;
- 8 μg B9;
- 7 mg C;
- 0.2 PP;
- 17 μg A( RE)
- 0.1 mg E;
- 0.09 mg B6;
- 0.04 mg B1 0.3 mg PP( niacin equivalent);
- 12 mg of magnesium;
- 110 mg of potassium;
- 14 mg calcium;
- 16 mg sodium;
- 7 mg of phosphorus.
Microelements in the berry are represented by iron( 1 mg).
And do you know how to make a balanced diet menu for a week for weight loss? The technique is described in a useful article.
About the symptoms and treatment of multiple sclerosis folk remedies are described on this page.
The nutritional value of the product is the following:
- water - 92.6 g;
- carbohydrates - 5,8 gr;
- di- and monosaccharides - 5.8 gr;
- proteins - 0,6 gr;
- of dietary fiber - 0,4 gr;
- ashes - 0,4 gr;
- fat and organic acids - 0.1 gr.
Watermelon is a low-calorie berry, one kilogram contains 380 calories.
Watermelon is a juicy and sweet berry with fragrant flesh. Due to diuretic properties, due to the high water content, watermelon:
- helps to cope with swelling( how to brew leaves of cowberry during pregnancy is written here),
- to remove excess fluid from the body.
Therefore, berries are often used for weight loss( reviews on kvass from oats are published in this article) and holding days of release. In addition, it is useful:
- for the excretion of cholesterol - it contains enough fiber that enhances intestinal peristalsis;
- with kidney stones - under the influence of watermelon, the level of alkali in the urine of patients rises and the stones dissolve completely;
- after a course of antibiotic treatment;
- for hepatic diseases;
- for poisoning.
Juice from the pulp of the subcortex( white) is more valuable than the red juice - it has the strongest diuretic effect.
As a rule, it is mixed with apple or citrus juices to make the drink less concentrated and more tasty.
It should be consumed half the glass at a time, otherwise, the diuretic effect may be too strong.
Watermelon should be included in its menu for people with cardiovascular diseases .The magnesium and potassium contained in the berry help to regulate the work of the organs and prevent the deposition of salts.
And what do you know about the symptoms of cough with heart failure? How it can be cured is written in a useful article.
About the treatment of hepatitis at home with folk remedies written here.
On the page: http: //netlekarstvam.com/ narodnye-sredstva /lekarstva/ produkty-pitaniya / izyum.html read about the benefits and harm of raisins when losing weight.
These substances help the body to be toned, support the work of the nervous system, relieve chronic fatigue and loss of strength.
Berry is also useful for hypertension , which is due to its diuretic property. Watermelon is an excellent antidepressant, it will help to establish a sleep, relieve depression and normalize the mood.
It is used for weight loss .
The minimum number of calories contained, sweet pulp, giving a sense of satiety, and removing water from the body - these properties make watermelon irreplaceable in the fight against fatness( about laminaria dried for weight loss read here) and overweight.
The berry must be eaten with dehydration and the like. Juice from watermelon is a delicious and aromatic drink that will quench your thirst in hot summer days and help digestion.
Watermelon crusts are useful for excessive edema of - they are dried and used in the preparation of infusions:
- the crusts are steamed with boiling water in the calculation of 1 cup for 2 cups of water, drink half or quarter chilled in case of colon diseases;
- with edemas boils the crusts in water in a ratio of 1 to 10, drink at least 3 times a day.
Seeds of berries are used as an anthelmintic remedy, and if they are grinded and mixed with milk, a folk remedy helps stop the uterine bleeding and restore the body.
Harm and caution
Despite the abundance of useful properties, watermelon can harm the body. It's all about the use of nitrates by farmers when growing fruit.
Chemicals remain in berries and, when consumed, can cause poisoning and cause significant damage to health.
Nitrates are used to accelerate the growth of watermelon - it is fed with special fertilizers that accumulate in the pulp, the subcortex, the seeds of the berry.
They accumulate in the pulp of watermelon, which contributes to the lack of sunlight and an abundance of moisture.
If the watermelon is stored for a long time, the transformation of nitrates into harmful substances can occur in the fetus itself.
Nitrite adversely affects on blood functional, hemoglobin, resulting in the development of hypoxia.
Children and people suffering from cardiovascular diseases and diseases of the excretory or respiratory system suffer the most poorly from watermelon poisoning.
Contraindications to the use of
From eating watermelon, drinking juice from its pulp and applying folk remedies based on berries - it is recommended to abandon when:
- urinary incontinence;
- problems with kidney function;
- the presence of stones having a diameter of more than 5 mm;
Consultation of a doctor before eating berries is necessary for those who have problems with excretion from the body of liquids and cardiovascular diseases.
In pregnancy, , especially in recent months, it is important to eat watermelon in moderation.
Watermelon is a useful and delicious fruit, but even a high content of useful substances in it does not negate the need to eat the berry moderately:
- is not recommended for children under the age of two;
- for a baby under 3 years, the average daily intake of berries is 7-95 grams;
- for children under 6 years, per day, can be up to 130 grams of pulp.
It is important to monitor the quality and degree of maturity of the watermelon, because for the child's body toxins, nitrates and microbes that can be contained in the fruit are dangerous.
How to choose ripe and sweet
Watermelons ripen not earlier than July, if grown in the South or similar warm climate.
Russian watermelons reach ripeness only by the end of August - at this time and it is recommended to buy berries.
Choosing a ripe and delicious fruit will become easier if you know certain secrets:
- in ripe berries the pattern on the crust is bright, and she herself is hard and shiny;
- the best fruits are medium-sized;
- "tail" - dry, moderately long;
- on the side of the watermelon is a speck of orange or yellow.
In addition to the external signs, the ripeness of the fetus can be determined as follows:
- when immersed in water, a ripe berry floats on the surface;
- when tapping on the crust inside you can hear the ringing - in thick-skinned watermelons it is high, and for thin ones it is lower.
It is not necessary to buy watermelons with cracking cracks, cut and damaged.
Before consumption, berries must be rinsed under warm running water.
To store whole watermelons, the following conditions are necessary:
- is a cool, darkened room with a temperature of 0 - +5 degrees;
- equipped shelves - watermelons put up "tails", so that the fruits with each other are not in contact.
Cut watermelons should be stored, exclusively in the refrigerator, while the surface must be covered with food film - such measures will prevent harmful bacteria from entering the watermelon and allow the product to remain fresh for longer.
The use of mature, ripe watermelons in a moderate amount will bring the body a lot of benefit, saturate it with vitamins and other useful elements.
Watch a video about the benefits and harm of watermelons and melons for human health.