Antitussive, expectorant for dry cough
Coughing is a protective, reflex reaction of the body, which removes the pathological altered bronchial secretion from the respiratory tract. Sometimes it occurs when there are foreign substances in the trachea or bronchi.
Coughing is not a disease, it is a symptom, therefore it should be treated as a manifestation of the underlying disease. The choice of medications that affect cough, depends on the individual characteristics of the person, the type and clinical manifestations of the disease.
The effectiveness of the basic treatment of any disease accompanied by a cough, significantly increases with the rational use of antitussive, mucolytic and expectorants. We will consider the causes of dry cough and drugs used to soften it and transfer it into productive, into humid.
What is the best medicine for dry cough?
The choice of medication depends primarily on the nature of the cough and must be agreed with the physician:
- Cough is dry, painful, painful, unproductive, frequent, leading to a loss of appetite and sleep, choice -
- A productive cough, but with a hard to separate, thick, viscous sputum, a choice -mucolytic drugs.
- The cough is productive, with phlegm, and it is not viscous, and not thick - the choice of expectorating cough medicines.
- Mucolytic agents can not be used simultaneously with antitussive drugs.
Dry cough - causes:
Most often, dry cough occurs at the onset of a cold, flu, acute bronchitis, pneumonia, as well as inhaling various substances that irritate the mucous membrane. In the case of a severe attack of dry cough, inspiration is accompanied by a wheezing noise between coughing jerks. This is due to the narrowing of the lumen of the bronchi, larynx or trachea and leads to shortness of breath. Before the attack of dry cough can feel pain with a deep breath.
Causes of dry cough:Read also on the topic:
- Dry cough without fever in adults-causes
- Barking cough in a child - treatment
- Chest Cough - Instruction
- Treatment of dry cough in children and adults
- Why dry cough does not go away, causes of dry cough
- Herbion from dry and wet cough - instruction
- Sinecode - instructions for use
- Causes of dry cough without fever
- Inhalation with bronchitis and laryngitis
- Allergic cough - symptoms
- Antibiotics for bronchitis
- Laryngitis in a child - treatment
- Viral, infectious diseases - ARVI, influenza, parainfluenza, pneumonia, bronchitis, etc.
- Allergy-allergic rhinitis, allergy to dust, chemicals, may be the initial sign of asthma.
- Bronchospasm - spasm in the bronchial tubes
- Medicines that reduce high blood pressure - enalapril maleate, caproptil, lisinopril.
- Reflex response to smoke, cold air, sharp odor
Strong dry cough - what to treat?
The better to cure a dry cough? The use of antitussives is considered advisable only at conditions when the cough is strong and often dry (exhausting) and only as prescribed by the doctor.
If the cough is dry, unproductive, it should first be transferred to the moist one, and then use mucolytic or expectorant drugs. And also with an unproductive cough, combined drugs that have both antitussive and expectorant effect are effective:
Sinekod - instructions for use
Dosage Form: Tablets for children in syrup and in drops for oral administration.
Pharmacological action: Sinekod - antitussive drug, has a direct effect on the cough center. Has an expectorant property, has a moderate anti-inflammatory, bronchodilating effect, improves spirometry. It is indicated for acute dry cough of various origin.
Contraindications: Do not use in pregnant and lactating women. Children under 2 months are contraindicated, children under 3 years can not use syrup, only drops, tablets are contraindicated for children under 12 years.
Side effects: Nausea, dizziness, diarrhea, allergic reactions.
Price: syrup 220 rubles, a drop of 320 rubles. AnalogOmnitussyrup 150 rubles, tab. 190 rubles.
Herbion - plantain syrup
Dosage form: syrup
Pharmacological action: Herbion - a combined medicine of plant origin, has antitussive, expectorant, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory effect. In the composition extracts of flowers mallow and grass plantain lanceolate. The drug softens and relieves dry cough.
Contraindications: Hypersensitivity to herbal preparations, intolerance to fructose. Take precautions with diabetes.
Side effects: Allergic reactions.
Price: the average price for pharmacies is 220 rubles.
Dosage form: elixir, syrup
Pharmacological properties: Kodelak Phyto-combined antitussive. Contains codeine and extracts of thermopsis, thyme and licorice. Has an expectorant effect.
Contraindications: bronchial asthma, children under 2years old, pregnant and lactating women, with respiratory failure and hypersensitivity to plant components preparation.
Side effects: allergic reactions, nausea, vomiting, headache, drowsiness, constipation. With prolonged use, drug dependence develops to codeine.
Price: 130-140 rub.
Dosage form: tablets, drops for internal administration
Pharmacological action: Stopoutsin - combined antitussive and secretolitic action. The composition includes butamirate citrate, which has a local anesthetic, bronchodilator and antitussive action, and Guaifenesin reduces the viscosity of sputum, improving its departure. Effective with dry cough in children and adults.
Contraindications: Children under 1 year of age and pregnancy during 1 trimester should not be used.
Side effects: Allergic reactions, rarely - vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache.
Price: drops 70-80 rubles., Tablets 130-140 rubles.
Dosage form: syrup, elixir, lozenges
Pharmacological action: Combined drug with anti-inflammatory, expectorant, bronchodilator effect. The syrup and tablets contain the extract of thyme herb, and the elixir also contains the root extract of the primrose. Bronchicum is universal, it is an effective expectorant for dry cough and damp. At the stage of the disease, when a dry cough Bronchicum helps to cope with severe attacks, transferring a dry cough to wet. Then, with a damp cough, he facilitates expectoration of the sputum, contributing to its excretion from the lungs.
Contraindications: Syrup is contraindicated for children under 6 months, and children under 6 years of age should not take troches, patients with significant violations of liver and kidney function, with individual intolerance, during pregnancy and feeding the chest.
Side effects: irritation of the gastric mucosa, allergic reactions.
Price: 270 rubles.
Dosage form: syrup
Pharmacological action: Broncholitin is a combined preparation of antitussive, bronchodilating and bronchoseptic action. The composition includes Glaucina hydrobromide, which has a depressing effect on the cough center, a mild anti-inflammatory, analgesic effect. Basil oil has a minor sedative, antimicrobial, antispasmodic property. Ephedrine stimulates breathing, dilates the bronchi, has a vasoconstrictive effect, thereby eliminating the edema of the bronchial mucosa.
Contraindications: heart failure, children under 3 years of age, pregnant and lactating women should not be used.
Side effects: tachycardia, tremor, insomnia, drowsiness, visual impairment, nausea, vomiting, difficulty urinating, rash, increased sweating.
Price: 60 rubles.
Dosage form: tablets
Pharmacological action: Libexin is an antitussive remedy of peripheral action. It has a local anesthetic, bronchodilator effect, its antitussive effect is approximately comparable to codeine. Unlike codeine, Libexin does not cause dependence, does not affect the central nervous system. With chronic bronchitis has an anti-inflammatory effect.
Contraindications: diseases, with the release of abundant bronchial secretion, with caution used in childhood, in pregnancy is not recommended.
Side effects: dry mouth, temporary numbness in the oral mucosa, mild sedative effect, skin rash.
Price: 260-280 rub.
When the cough is not so dry, you can use this herbal preparation.
Dosage form: Brown syrup, the composition includes extracts of 10 medicinal plants - flowers of althaea, onmsma, hyssop, violet, alpinia, fruits of pepper, licorice root, leaves adhatodes and others.
Pharmacological action: Linkas - a combined preparation of plant origin, reduces intensity of cough, increases its productivity, has mucolytic, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory effect.
Contraindications: Children under 6 months of use is not recommended, with hypersensitivity to herbal remedies, use with caution in diabetes mellitus.
Side effects: allergic reactions.
Price: 130-140 rub.
To prescribe and determine the duration of administration of the listed medicinal, expectorant drugs with a dry cough should be the attending physician. There are cases when, with a painful, debilitating, non-productive cough, medications do not help, and simple methods of traditional medicine, such as mustard, cans, steam inhalations, warming ointments and creams bring significant relief and quickly transfer dry cough to wet.
Tablets for dry coughing for adults and children: reviews and prices
Do you know which are the most effective tablets for dry cough? If not, then in this article you will find all the necessary information.
Before taking pills for a dry cough, you should visit a doctor and find out why you are concerned about this ailment. After all, without clarifying the reasons for treating such a disease is extremely dangerous. This fact is due to the fact that all medicines that affect the cough reflex, as well as its productivity and intensity, are divided into three main groups:
- Drugs that have a deterrent effect on the cough center in the brain, as well as in the nerve endings of the receptors. As a result, the person is suppressed in whole or in part.
- Medications that favorably affect the smooth muscles and bronchial mucosa.
- Medications that have a positive effect on the state of bronchial secretion, that is, sputum.
As you can see, tablets from dry coughs for adults and children should be selected only after examination and finding out the causes of the disease.
Group of tablets affecting the cough center
As mentioned above, such tablets from dry cough have a direct effect on the cough center. Most often they will be used for partial or complete extinguishing of coughing attacks. Moreover, such drugs are prescribed only in the absence of sputum.
Currently, there are two types of similar drugs:
- C narcotic effect. These drugs include funds Codeine, Demorphan, Hydrocodone, Morphine Chloride, Kodipron, or Ethylmorphine Hydrochloride.
- Without the narcotic effect. These drugs include Glauvent, Sedotussin, Tusuprex, Sinekod and Pakseladin.
The best representative of the group
Tablets from dry cough "Omnitus" - this is the most effective antitussive medicine of central action. This drug is neither a pharmacological nor a chemical relative of an alkaloid opium. It directly affects the cough center.
It is these tablets from a dry cough that have a mild bronchodilator, expectorant and anti-inflammatory effect.
The dosage of the agent
This tool is prescribed only for oral administration. It is available in the form of tablets of 20 and 50 mg, as well as in the form of a syrup.
For adults, the medication "Omnitus" is prescribed 2 units (20 mg) 2 or 3 times a day. As for children, their dosage should be two times lower. Tablets should be taken only before eating, without chewing them.
If, for any reason, a person can not take the pill, then he is given a syrup. For adults - 6 measuring spoons (about 30 ml), and for children - twice less.
Price and reviews
Presented tablets from dry cough to adults and children are prescribed only if the cough reflex does not allow a person to calmly engage in their activities or sleep. According to the reviews, such a drug is coping well with the task. He quickly eliminates the perspiration in the throat and facilitates the patient's condition.
You can buy this medication in any pharmacy. On average, 10 tablets (20 mg) of Omnitus can cost about 200 Russian rubles.
Group of drugs of peripheral action
Such medications affect the receptors and smooth muscles of the tracheobronchial tree. As a result, the patient coughs up partially or completely. Such medicines include "Libexin "Helicidin" and "Levoprint". Consider the pharmacological action of the first drug in more detail.
Tablets from dry cough "Libexin"
The price of such a tool varies between 300-350 Russian rubles. You can buy it at any pharmacy.
Medication "Libexin" is a good antitussive drug of peripheral action. It blocks the links of the cough reflex as follows:
- Due to the local anesthetic effect, which significantly reduces the irritability of peripheral respiratory tract receptors.
- For the light of bronchodilator action. Due to this, suppression of stretch receptors occurs, which take a direct part in the cough reflex.
- By reducing the activity of the respiratory center (insignificant).
It should be specially noted that such a drug never provokes addiction and dependence.
Tablets from dry cough: instructions for use
Medication "Libexin" is prescribed only inward. Tablets should be swallowed whole, without chewing. This is necessary in order to avoid anesthesia of the oral mucosa.
Adults are prescribed 100 mg three times or four times a day. As for children, their average dose is about 25-50 mg (depending on the weight of the child).
Combined medicines have both bronchodilator, expectorant, anti-inflammatory, and cough reflex-reducing actions. These drugs include "Stoptussin "Protiazin "Tussin plus "Butamirat "Broncholitin "Lorain" and "Hexapnevmin." Let's consider one of the means in more detail.
The drug "Stoptussin"
This drug has mucolytic and antitussive effect. Butamirate dihydrocitrate, which is part of this drug, is a local anesthetic a substance that affects the nerve endings of the bronchial mucosa, which, in fact, provides antitussive effect.
In turn, a component such as guaifenesin, is able to increase the secretion of bronchial glands and reduce the viscosity of mucus. The first effect is achieved by direct exposure to the bronchi. As a consequence, secretion is secreted and its viscosity is reduced.
Reception of the drug
Tablets "Stoptussin" it is desirable to take after eating food. They are not recommended to chew. The medicine should be washed down with plenty of liquid (for example, water, fruit juice or tea).
It is impossible not to say that this medication is produced not only in the form of tablets, but also in the form of drops. To obtain a medicinal solution, they must be dissolved in 100 ml of liquid. The dose of the drug depends on the patient's body weight. Its price varies between 100-150 Russian rubles.
Mucolytic group of drugs
Now you know what effective tablets for dry cough can be taken to eliminate an unpleasant ailment.
I also want to talk about a group of drugs that have a mucolytic effect. It should be noted that such funds are taken exclusively with a wet cough. Such medicines include the following: "Lycorin "Devyasila root "Terpinhydrate "Solodka "Althaea "Sodium benzoate "Isad "Ammonium chloride "Sodium citrate "Guaifenazine" and so on.
These drugs can reduce the viscosity of phlegm and remove it from the bronchi. However, due to the large list of medications, it is rather difficult for an average person to understand which antitussive drug should be used to ensure that the treatment is as effective as possible. This is why we recommend that you contact an experienced therapist for treatment.
Basic principles of treatment
About what the best pills for cough dry exist, we told above. But you are deeply mistaken if you think that the medicine will very quickly contribute to your complete recovery. After all, any treatment should be carried out in a complex manner.
As is known, at the very beginning of the development of inflammatory processes in the respiratory tract or in other diseases, which in no way are associated with the pathology of the respiratory organs, cough can be quite heavy, nasal and painful character. The situation of the patient is aggravated also in the event that the disease proceeds without the formation of sputum.
Of course, the only way to eliminate this ailment is the use of antitussive drugs. However, for a more effective treatment, the patient is often recommended other means. As a rule, they include various multivitamin complexes that are able to maintain the immune system of a person at the proper level.
If you do not want to take the vitamins purchased at the pharmacy, they should be replaced with fresh vegetables and fruits.
What drugs should I give to children?
Do not dry-cough tablets for children in any case should be with a narcotic effect. If you do not know what preparations belong to this category and which ones do not, then it is not recommended to purchase them yourself. It is better to consult a pediatrician who will prescribe the most effective remedy.
Typically, small children are prescribed not pills, but similar medications, but in the form of syrup or drops. As for the form, such as sucking or effervescent remedies, for babies they also do not fit, although the effect from them comes very quickly.
So, for children who have a dry cough, the following drugs are recommended:
- Medication "Libexin". Give small children should be very careful. The duration of this remedy is rather short (about 3-4 hours).
- The preparation is Glaucin or Glavent. He does not have a narcotic effect, in connection with which he can be assigned to a child from the age of 4.
- Bithiodine. Comparable with "Codeine but not addictive and has few side effects.
- Medication Stoptopsin. Has mucolytic effect. Use only for children over 12 years.
- The drug "Broncholitin". Produced in the form of syrup. The spectrum of application of this remedy is very large - from catarrh of the respiratory tract, pneumonia and bronchitis, to treatment of COPD pertussis and bronchial asthma.
As for adults, they can also use these drugs to treat dry cough, but at high dosages.
Drugs for dry coughing for adults: expectorants
Cough is a protective reaction that allows the body to respond to stimuli. Such an unpleasant symptom appears when smoke, dust or some chemical substances enter the throat.
Quite often it occurs in the case of allergies. But often the cause of this symptom lies in the presence of an infectious disease. With a dry and long cough, the throat is irritated, which prevents the patient from relaxing at night.
The primary cure for cough is that it must first be made productive. For this purpose, expectorants with dry cough are shown, making the sputum not too viscous.
Causes of a coughAs a rule, dry cough is accompanied by diseases such as influenza and acute respiratory infections. This manifestation often indicates the presence of irritation of the mucous by some object.
Another attack can happen with pneumonia or bronchial asthma. A characteristic sign is a whistle when inhaled. With this phenomenon, you need to quickly consult a doctor and conduct treatment in the hospital, where the patient will need to take effective antitussive tablets.
Sometimes a dry cough occurs when hypertension is treated. After all, some remedies (Enalapril, Liznopril, Maleat) strongly irritate the throat.
In this case, when you cough, you need to drink special preparations. In addition, you need to stop taking medicine from high blood pressure or to reduce their dosage.
Allergy to pet hair and pollen often leads to bronchospasm. In this situation, there is a sharp cough, and this symptom does not go away until the treatment with an antihistamine is performed.
A persistent allergic cough is very problematic. If it is not treated, then bronchial asthma can form.
What to choose tablets
Today, the pharmacy sells various antitussive drugs that help to eliminate perspiration in the throat and cough reflex. However, the cough syrups and all sorts of syrups should be prescribed by a doctor.
In order for the treatment to be effective, it is first important to determine the causes of such an unpleasant manifestation. So, various analyzes are used, with the help of which the diagnosis is specified. After all, in certain cases, the therapy of an allergic cough with the use of simple expectorants is unsuccessful.
With a debilitating dry cough that does not allow resting at night, often combined medicines are prescribed. Such drugs dilute sputum and remove irritation in the throat, which allows you to translate dry cough into the wet.
But it is important to note that mucolytic cough drops can not be drunk when antitussive drugs are taken.
The list of tablets that are most often prescribed for a prolonged and dry cough:
These cough lozenges are the best remedy, diluting the secret in the bronchi, which makes it possible to translate an unproductive cough into a damp cough. This medication is often used if it is necessary to carry out complex treatment of bronchial asthma and chronic pneumonia.
Bromgexin has no contraindications. But occasionally there may be a high sensitivity to certain components of the remedy.
Reception of these tablets can not be combined with preparations containing caffeine, after all such therapy will be ineffective. For violations of the gastrointestinal tract, medication should be agreed with the attending physician.
Adults should drink three times a day. And when the dry cough turns to wet, Bromhexine should be stopped.
Halixol is an effective cough medicine for adults, the main component of which is ambroxol hydrochloride. List of excipients:
- microcrystalline cellulose;
- sodium carboxymethyl starch;
- lactose monohydrate;
- magnesium stearate.
Halixol exerts an expectorant and mucolytic effect. It helps in the presence of chronic diseases of the respiratory system. In particular, it is prescribed for infectious diseases of respiratory organs.
However, such pastilles from cough can not be taken until 15 years. And during pregnancy these antitussive tablets can be drunk, starting from the second trimester. With renal insufficiency, Halixol is not prescribed.
Ambroghexal is the best cough medicine for adults, belonging to the group of mucolytics. The active ingredient is ambroxol hydrochloride. The list of auxiliary components includes:
- silicon dioxide colloidal;
- calcium hydrogen phosphate dhydrate;
- magnesium sarate;
- sodium carboxymethyl starch.
Treatment with Ambroxol should not be given if the patient is younger than 6 years old. In addition, tablets are contraindicated in the first trimester of pregnancy and when breastfeeding. People suffering from an ulcer, the drug should be taken under close medical supervision.
Lazolvan is the best mucolytic medicine that helps if a dry cough needs to be transformed into a moist one. The main active ingredient of the drug is ambroxol. Additional components include:
- magnesium stearate;
- lactose monohydrate;
- colloidal silicon dioxide;
- corn starch.
Lazolvan is effective when treating the cough reflex in influenza and acute respiratory infections. In addition, it is used if it is necessary to dilute sputum in bronchial asthma and pneumonia.
Such tablets from a dry cough adults can not drink during breastfeeding and in the first trimester of pregnancy. Another drug is contraindicated in the treatment of children and adolescents.
You should know that Lazolvan is considered a mucolytic, for these reasons, its reception can not be combined with treatment with antitussive medications. Otherwise, the process of excretion of sputum from the bronchi is difficult.
When coughing adults should drink 3 tablets Lazolvan for the day. When the cough becomes wet, then the drug should be stopped.
Omnitus - pastilles from cough, the active ingredient of which is butyrate citrate. Auxiliary components:
- magnesium stearate;
- lactose monohydrate;
- anhydrous silicon dioxide colloidal.
This antitussive drug helps with severe attacks provoked by infectious diseases: acute respiratory disease, pertussis, influenza. In addition, Omnitus can be prescribed to suppress the cough reflex if an operative intervention has been performed.
Omnitus is an inexpensive but effective medication for non-productive cough. The cost of such pastilles is not more than 200 rubles. However, you can not buy a medicine without medical advice.
Quite often, patients become intolerant of certain components of the drug. Moreover, pastilles are contraindicated in the period of breastfeeding. In the second and third trimester of pregnancy, Omnitus is prescribed if the potential outcome is higher than the harm that may affect the health of the fetus.
Libexin is prescribed if it is necessary to eliminate an unproductive cough. The active substance of the drug is prenoxdiazine. Additional components are:
- corn starch;
- lactose monohydrate;
- magnesium stearate.
Cough antitussives can not be taken in patients with a disease that causes a high separation of the bronchial secretion. It is worth noting that pregnant women and children - this drug can be taken.
Therapy must necessarily be carried out under medical supervision. Occasionally, a high sensitivity to the main substance of the drug is observed.
Stopoutsin is indicated when dry cough occurs. To simultaneously obtain several effects, combined medicines have been developed. These tablets are Stoptopsin, which has an antitussive and expectorant effect, so this is an excellent expectorant.
The main active substance of the drug is dihydrocitrate butamirate. As additional components are used:
- magnesium stearate;
- colloidal dioxide;
- glyceryl tribehenate;
- microcrystalline cellulose.
Lauraine's antitussive lozenges are a low-cost but effective remedy. The composition of the drug is phenylephrine, chlorphenamine and paracetamol.
The medicine has a combined effect. Often, it begins to take, when there are primary symptoms of colds in adults.
This medicinal substance dilutes sputum, general strengthening of immunity and lowering of temperature. However, for pregnant women and children under 6 years of age, the drug should not be taken.
In addition, allergies and people who have problems with the gastrointestinal tract Loraine should be used with extreme caution.
Can I not expectorant for dry cough?
Only the attending physician can prescribe a certain drug to treat an unproductive cough. But what if there is no possibility to seek medical help in a timely manner? In such cases it is possible to apply recipes offered by traditional medicine.
So, with the help of non-traditional treatment it is possible to eliminate unpleasant manifestations of colds. In addition, fast liquor sputtering is promoted by warm drinks.
For this purpose, the milk should be slightly heated, and then add 1 hour to it. l. honey. This tasty drink has an expectorant effect and eliminates irritation in the pharynx.
Equally effective is inhalation based on herbal medicine at home. For this purpose, you need to prepare 2 liters of water and bring them to a boil, and after adding a couple of drops of tincture of chamomile. Treatment is carried out this way: the patient leans over a bowl of hot liquid, covering his head with a warm towel. A video in this article will help with the choice of treatment with a dry cough.
The best cough remedy. The best remedy for dry cough
What is cough is known to many, because not always this condition is associated with illness. In this way the body clears the respiratory tract from viruses, bacteria, dust or foreign bodies that have got into them. Cough can be caused by different reasons, but in any case it irritates and does not allow to work and rest normally. In most cases, it signals a serious illness and requires immediate treatment. Many people are looking for the best cough remedy, but it's impossible to understand the abundance of drugs without the help of a doctor. After all, if you choose the wrong medicine, you can only aggravate the problem. Therefore, before you start treatment, you need to consult a doctor and determine what cough worries the patient. In addition, in most cases, even the best cough remedy will not help, if its cause is not eliminated. On the contrary, it can only get worse.
Types of cough
Depending on the characteristics of the disease and you need to choose the drugs. After all, different drugs have different effects. And before you determine the best cough remedy, you need to know what it is. Usually, the instructions to the medicine indicate which form it is treating.
- Dry cough can occur for various reasons. In general, it causes irritation of the mucous by chemical or physical factors. It also occurs with viral infection and colds.
- A wet cough is characterized by the spitting of sputum accumulating in the lungs or bronchi. It can be unproductive when it is viscous and coughs up with difficulty. Or wet, when there is a lot of sputum.
Causes of coughing
- Catarrhal and infectious diseases - tonsillitis, tracheitis or SARS. They can be viral or bacterial. This is the most common cause of cough.
- Inflammatory diseases of the bronchi and lungs - bronchitis, pneumonia, lung abscess or tuberculosis.
- Allergic reactions, such as bronchial asthma.
- Irritation of the respiratory tract by chemical substances or dust.
- Heart failure.
- Ingestion of foreign body in the respiratory tract.
- Organic brain damage or neurosis.
- Taking certain medications, for example, drugs that lower blood pressure.
How correctly to cure cough?
Without determining the cause, it caused, to cope with the symptom will be almost impossible. And in some cases, and completely contraindicated taking antitussive or expectorant funds. But most often, when they are looking for the best cough remedy, they try to eliminate the most common cause of it - infectious and inflammatory diseases. In this case, you need to remember that the disease begins most often with a dry cough, which eventually turns into a wet cough. Therefore, treatment should be changed during the course of the illness. It is not recommended to suppress dry cough, it is necessary to try to translate it into a more productive one, so that the bacteria and viruses that caused the disease come out with phlegm. And with an allergic cough, on the contrary, preparations are prescribed that suppress the cough reflex and antihistamines. If the cough has arisen on the nerves or on the background of heart failure, you do not need to take any additional medicines at all. Having cured the underlying disease, a person gets rid of it.
Features of the action of cough drugs
When the cause and type of the disease is clear, then you can choose the drug for its treatment. All of them have different effects:
- Suppress the cough reflex. Such drugs can be based on narcotic drugs, and they can be purchased only on prescription. They are needed if the cough is painful and dry. He does not allow to communicate, eat, or sleep. But in no case can they drink with a damp cough, so that there is no stagnation of phlegm in the lungs.
- Expectorants increase the production of sputum and facilitate its excretion by stimulating the bronchi. Such medicines are used only for the treatment of a damp cough, if it is dry, they will be useless.
- If there are a lot of sputum, but she coughs up with difficulty, you need to use mucolytics. These are the means that dilute it and facilitate the excretion.
- There are also local cough remedies. They treat it with an anti-inflammatory and aseptic effect. Sometimes they have a local anesthetic effect, and if the cough was caused by irritation of the respiratory tract, it stops.
- Recently, there have appeared combined preparations that contain various substances and complex effects on the respiratory tract.
Types of cough drugs
- Tablets or capsules. Most often they are used to treat cough in adults. This form of the drug is convenient, if the treatment is long, and the drug should be taken several times. After all, they are easy to take with you and drink at work or on the road.
- Effervescent soluble tablets or powders have a more rapid effect, by facilitating absorption and a large amount of water drunk. But they can have a negative impact on the gastrointestinal tract.
- Syrups, drops and medicines are most often used to treat children, since they have a pleasant taste. They are also easily and quickly absorbed.
- Tablets or lozenges for absorption are used mainly in the treatment of cough caused by infectious diseases of the upper respiratory tract or allergic reaction.
- Means for inhalation, rinsing and compresses are used to relieve cough that has appeared as a result of inflammation.
In many cases, a dry cough is so painful and exhausting to a person that the only way to save it will be to suppress it. Such medicines are divided into two groups:
- Means for suppressing dry cough, affecting the cough center in the brain. They are used only in the absence of sputum and come in different bases:
- with narcotic effect - preparations Codeine, Hydrocodone, Morphine Chloride and others, sold only on the prescription of a doctor;
- without narcotic effect - means "Tusuprex "Sinekod "Glavent" and others (they can be purchased without a prescription, but it should be used cautiously).
- Drugs that affect the nerve centers of the middle parts of the respiratory tract. This means "Libexin" or "Levopron."
The best remedy for dry cough
But recently, most often prescribe drugs of a new generation, which have a combined effect. With infectious and inflammatory diseases, if cough is unproductive and there is no sputum, complications are possible, since the infection is not eliminated from the respiratory tract. Therefore, we need drugs that do not suppress cough symptoms, but help to sputum. But dry cough often so exhausts the patient that it is necessary to slightly reduce its intensity. Modern combination drugs have this property. The most famous of them are the funds Stoptussin, Tussin plus, Butamirat, Lorain, and others.At the moment, the best remedy for dry cough is the drug "Broncholitin". Its peculiarity is that in addition to antitussive substances (glaucin and ephedrine), it contains basil oil. It expands bronchi, has an anti-inflammatory effect and reduces the viscosity of phlegm. This drug has a mild non-narcotic effect on the cough center and the musculature of the bronchi and is available as a syrup. Therefore, we can say that this is the best cough remedy for children over 3 years old.
How to take medications for dry cough?
Choose a tool you need strictly individually. For example, children are better suited medicine in the form of syrup, and soluble tablets are much faster than usual. But you need to know that, unlike expectorants, even the best cough drug without sputum has many contraindications. You can not take most of these medicines:
- children under 3 years;
- pregnant and lactating women;
- people with allergic reactions;
- those with respiratory failure or bronchial asthma.
In addition, it must be remembered that as soon as sputum begins to depart, it is necessary to change the drug. Suppress such a cough can not be in any case, as this can cause serious complications.
How to treat a wet cough?
It is very important that the sputum accumulating in the respiratory tract recedes easily. Many drugs for the treatment of wet cough are designed to enhance and facilitate its isolation. When there are a lot of sputum, you need to help the airway to get rid of it. Therefore, the composition of drugs for the treatment of wet cough includes substances that restore cells of the broncho-pulmonary tissue. In addition, they dilute sputum itself. Most often, these drugs have an anti-inflammatory effect and contain plant components. The best remedy for a wet cough is Bromhexine. It easily helps to cope with the disease and has few side effects. Therefore, it is given even to children.The "ACC" tool dilutes sputum very well, making it easier to leave. In addition to these, the most popular preparations for wet cough, the following medicines are also effective: Sinupret, Gedelix, Glitsira, Ascoril and some others. But they should be used only according to the doctor's prescription.
The best expectorant
From cough, which is accompanied by a small amount of sputum, there are many medicines. Their purpose is to help in its passage by stimulating the bronchi or reducing its viscosity. Of course, according to the individual reaction, they need to be selected. But there are drugs that are not only effective, but also safe. They include plant components, and they can be given even to children.
- Syrup of licorice root has anti-inflammatory and immunostimulating action and helps to sputum.
- The drug "Mukaltin" has been known for a long time. This medicine is based on the root of the althaea - the best remedy for a damp cough. In addition to the expectorant action, the "Mucaltin" agent has an anti-inflammatory effect and slightly dilutes sputum.
- The drug "Thermopsis" is also a fairly well-known herbal remedy with an expectorant effect. It increases sputum secretion and reduces its viscosity.
How to help the child?
Cough exhausts any person, but is especially bad when children suffer. Respiratory ways of babies are very sensitive to any external influences, and the majority of effective preparations to them is contraindicated. In general, children older than 2 years are given plant-based syrups: the preparation "Pertussin "Thermopsis "Doctor Mom licorice root syrup or althea. Many parents are looking for the best cough remedy for children, not only among official drugs, but also in traditional medicine recipes. Long since this ailment cope with the help of broths of herbs, honey solution, inhalations and compresses.
Despite the abundance of drugs from different types of cough, many are still being treated with home remedies, using old recipes. Conveniently this is because all the ingredients for this are always at hand, and they cause less side effects. What are the most popular recipes?
- The best cough remedy is honey. It is used alone or in combination with other products. Those who do not have allergies to it, successfully cure both dry and wet cough. And such drugs are very popular with children. For example, a mixture of ground hazelnuts with honey. It helps a lot if you mix a spoonful of honey with warm milk or lemon juice. Even just dissolved in water this product works wonders. A juice of radish or onions with honey is the best cough remedy. The testimonies of those who tried it testify that it can cure even a persistent chronic illness.
- Often when coughing it is recommended to drink broths of herbs. It is best to help the chamomile, mother-and-stepmother, elecampane, oregano and sage. They can be used separately or in collections. But to drink such teas you need half a glass several times a day. You can also use such decoctions for inhalations.
- Onions and garlic are also an effective tool for alleviating the condition of the patient when coughing. And they use them both inside and outside for various compresses.
- Many healers recommend using cough to drink the juice of cowberry or viburnum with honey. Some people are helped by fresh carrot juice with milk.
But any means, both official and popular, should be used only after consulting a doctor.
Drugs for dry coughing for adults and childrenAn unproductive cough without separating the sputum is a bad sign. Dry bronchospasm can indicate a reflex response of the body to ingress of foreign particles, smoke, cold air into the respiratory tract, or development in various diseases:
- Heart failure.
If in the first case an unpleasant symptom does not require medical therapy and passes itself after cleaning airway, in the second - very often the patient has to take any medicine from dry cough.
The danger to the body of unproductive spastic exhalations, which are a symptom of various ailments, is The fact that they do not help the body get rid of the pathogenic mucus that leads out pathogenic microorganisms. Therefore, the first task of the doctor after examining the patient is to establish the correct diagnosis and to identify the cause of the unpleasant symptom.
Effective cough medicine
After the doctor determines the etiology of unproductive bronchospasms, and also takes into account the individual characteristics of the patient's body, a scheme for combating the disease is determined. Sometimes, in order to reduce the intensity of dry cough, and eventually and its complete cessation, it is sufficient to prescribe drugs for the treatment of the underlying disease that causes them:
- With respiratory and respiratory diseases of the respiratory and nasopharyngeal organs - the use of antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory drugs and vitamins. The safest and best cure for dry cough (adults and children), helping to regenerate it in wet, is a profuse drink and peace.
- With allergies - excluding contact with the irritant and taking antihistamines.
- With heart failure - the use of drugs that improve the work of blood vessels and an organ that pumps blood.
If the symptom is intrusive and sufficiently intense, and such therapy does not help to get rid of it quickly, the doctor prescribes a medicine for dry cough. The following preparations are often used:
Sinecod (drops, syrup)
Suppress dry bronchospasm, acting on the cough center. Helps to facilitate breathing. Has a bronchodilating effect. Used for dry cough of any etiology.
During medication, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness, skin allergic reaction may occur.
You can not take this medicine from a dry cough during pregnancy, during lactation, with increased sensitivity to the drug. Drops are prohibited for children under 2 months, syrup - up to 3 years.
Medicine for a severe dry cough caused by the flu, SARS, colds, tracheitis, bronchitis. In addition to the suppressant has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect.
Treatment can lead to malfunction in the digestive tract and intestines, as well as the manifestation of allergies.
It is forbidden to take with diabetes mellitus, intolerance to fructose, the emergence of intolerance to components.
Kodelak Fito (Elixir)
The cure for barking cough (dry), which arose with diseases of the respiratory organs of various etiologies.
Dependence on the drug may develop.
It is not allowed to take alcoholism, respiratory insufficiency, for people suffering from bronchial asthma.
Used as a means to suppress dry cough and dilate the bronchi. It is recommended for bronchitis and asthma.
Occasionally there is dizziness, nausea, low blood pressure.
It is forbidden to use people who have undergone myocardial infarction and who have hypotension.
Very effectively help to remove these medicines dry cough in an adult and a child, but you should remember that their independent use is unacceptable. Only the doctor decides on the advisability of taking the medication and its dosage.
What medicines are ineffective in dry cough?
Symptomatic treatment of unproductive bronchospasm is directed to their degeneration into moist ones. The intake of drugs that suppress their intensity is not prescribed too often and only if an unpleasant symptom does not allow a person to live normally:
- It prevents sleep.
- Constantly occurs in the daytime and manifests itself very strongly.
In order not to make a mistake in choosing the right medication, one can never determine the expediency of using it independently. Whatever the medicine for coughing (expectorant, overwhelming, relieving spasms or having another effect), it is only the doctor who can decide whether to take it in this or that way. That's why you should not choose the drug yourself and take it, following only the instructions. Much more effective will be the treatment of dry cough, begun in the doctor's office and passed under its strict control.
Means for coughing adults
Effective cough for adultsInfluenza and colds are characterized by pathological conditions of the respiratory tract, accompanied by clusters of sputum in the lungs and bronchi. When looking for cough medicine, one should not forget that the nature of the symptom determines the choice of remedy for eliminating the cough itself. On whether a wet cough or dry, then depends on the presence of allergic reactions to the constituent components of the drug.
An effective cough remedy for people of all ages, from child to adult, is inhalation. If it comes to an infant, it should be kept for a few minutes in a bathroom with steam and high humidity. Older children and adults can be inhaled over a wide saucepan with boiling water. It is necessary to cover the head with a bath towel. You can add a few spoons of soda, fir oil or juniper oil to the water. You can carry out inhalation over the bay leaf or boiled potatoes.
In order to stop coughing for adults, it makes sense to drink warm milk, which contains lemon juice and a small amount of honey. As additives, milk of black radish, tea from lime flowers, mother-and-stepmother, infusions of elderberry or crimson leaves also will suit the milk. If you combine the juice of a bulb with honey it will also be a good result.
Folk remedies for coughing adults
Folk cough remedies are good for their simplicity and availability of application. They eliminate the need to flee to the pharmacy for pills and do not give any contraindications at all. In every kitchen, you can find many products that can help in cough. One such product is honey, which can be called the most effective remedy in this matter. If the cough is not very strong, it can be quenched by means of a glass of water, in which to dissolve a spoonful of honey. The effectiveness of honey is enhanced when adding garlic, lemon and other products to the water.
Garlic is a known folk remedy against colds. Garlic cloves can be kept constantly with you during the riot of epidemics of colds, and also put it in your children's pocket, sending them to school. To quickly and effectively cure a runny nose, you can regularly rub your feet with garlic.
A good cure for coughing in adults is warming up. It can be performed in the following ways:
- I use a mustard compress that has a local effect of irritation and relieves inflammation of the lung tissue. It is the application of mustard plasters to the chest;
- Lubricating the breast of an adult with liquid honey, heated in a frying pan to about the body temperature of a person. The compress is closed with permanent paper, then it remains until a sensation of warmth in the chest appears;
- you can take an ordinary bath towel, moisten it in vegetable oil and wrap around the perimeter of the chest. Within half an hour all symptoms of lung diseases and cough are eliminated;
- a good compress of mashed potatoes. To cook it, you need to put warm boiled potatoes in a cellophane bag and attach to your chest.
Folk remedies for dry coughing adults
In the event that an adult has a dry cough with almost complete absence mucus, the body experiences difficulties with the elimination of infection, because it is not excreted from the body mucus. The pathogenic bacteria and microorganisms accompanying the spread of infection are not deduced, as a result of which a dry cough begins to disturb the person. It is precisely the method of such a conclusion.
To eliminate dry cough in an adult human medicine, the following methods are suggested:
- The use of hot milk with the addition of alkaline water and honey, thus the formation of a significant amount of mucus will occur, resulting in an early cessation of dry cough. Also a good result provides the use of fatty cream. If there are any individual contraindications to the use of dairy products, you can drink strong tea with added butter.
- For an adult, a mixture of sugar and onions is recommended for the treatment of dry cough. To the previously prepared onions, sugar is added, the mixture is well mixed and infused over one night to form juice. The medicine should be taken in the morning, first of all the juice, then you must eat the onions. Gradually, the dry cough begins to recede.
- An ancient means of eliminating dry cough in adults is the combination of honey with a radish. For its preparation, the head of a black radish is taken, in it a hole is made, into which honey is placed. Insist should be for three hours. Eat in the morning before breakfast, before dinner and in the evening before dinner. You can increase the effect of the application if you add carrot juice.
- Effective honey with the addition of lemon. For proper preparation, add glycerin to the lemon. The composition is thoroughly mixed, after which it must be added honey. In the event that the dry cough is not too intense, use should be three times a day. If the cough is dry and very strong at the same time, it is necessary to apply the remedy up to seven times a day. The dosage of the syrup can be reduced if the cough goes down.
Folk remedies for coughing adults expectorant
To date, there is a large number of traditional medicine that can help clear the sputum from the adult person's respiratory tract. They are characterized by minimal costs when using them, and a sensitive effect.
Most often in order to prevent cough, infusions from all sorts of herbs, rubbing, inhalation and other methods that require the use of natural remedies are used. If the cough has passed into an acute form, there is a sense in the application of medical treatments in combination with folk recipes. In this case, before direct application it is necessary to get advice from a doctor to avoid side effects from the joint use of the medications.
In most cases, expectorants contain various herbs in their composition. It can be a root of licorice, oregano, thyme, coltsfoot and others, used in the form of broths. A good folk remedy that causes an expectorant effect is the onion with its broad spectrum of action, including anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect.
An excellent expectorant has proven to be honey. Its composition has to provide a remarkable bactericidal action, which does not allow the reproduction of bacteria. In diseases of organs and respiratory systems, it makes sense to use honey for internal use and for inhalation.
An excellent expectorant is the syrup of their horseradish with honey, performed in equal proportions. It should be noted that people who are allergic to honey, use this tool is not recommended. In large quantities, you should eat foods that contain vitamin C, such as lemon and viburnum.
Sputum expectoration is facilitated by inhalation with the use of iodine, the addition of soda, eucalyptus and essential oil. You can make rubbing with the use of turpentine and alcohol. It is best to rub yourself immediately before going to bed, in order to take shelter and sweat well.
Pharmacological means for coughing adults
Coughing occasionally bothers a person and people from all ages can suffer from it. The level of development of modern pharmacology makes it possible to apply a wide variety of cough suppressants. A variety of drugs for treating cough act differently, so they should be used skillfully, in order to avoid negative consequences. It can be complications in the respiratory, nervous and other systems of the human body.
An agent for dry cough in adults
To date, there is a wide variety of pharmacological drugs effective in eliminating dry cough in adults. Often this causes additional difficulties associated with the inability to determine the appropriate means for treating dry cough. If the treatment is carried out without conducting a preliminary diagnosis, it should not only help but also not harm the health of the person.
Below is a description of some remedies for dry cough that are very popular.
A remedy for the dry sine "Sinekod". The drug is characterized by an action directed at the center of the cough. Apply it should be in the acute phase of coughing. Contraindicated in pregnancy.
Means of combined action "Gerbion". The basis of the preparation is made up of natural ingredients. In addition to the action aimed at eliminating cough, the drug has antimicrobial properties. With increased susceptibility to the components of the drug is contraindicated for use. People with diabetes should take the drug only after consulting a doctor. There may be side effects from the use of the drug, such as an allergic reaction.
Broncholitin. The agent is characterized by the ability to influence the center of the cough. It has excellent antispasmodic and antimicrobial qualities. Causes the enlargement of the bronchi, promotes the removal of edema mucosa, improves breathing. Contraindicated in persons suffering from cardiovascular disorders. In the treatment of dry cough in adults, this drug can cause various side effects, such as insomnia, tremors, nausea and tachycardia.
Means for a strong cough in an adult
Recommendations for the treatment of severe cough in children are enough, but there is practically no way to eliminate a severe cough in an adult. Commonly known cough syrups may not have a proper effect, especially if a cough in an adult person persists for a fairly long period of time.
It should be taken into account the fact that cough does not always indicate the onset of a cold. This fact makes it necessary to visit a physician-therapist in order to make sure that cough is not a symptom of any serious illness. In the case of diagnosis, tracheitis or bronchitis should be prepared to treat these diseases long enough. This requires the implementation of all recommendations that will be issued by the attending physician. Since there is a danger of the transition of the disease to the chronic stage, it is necessary to take the procedures and medications in the physiotherapist's office for a certain period of time.
Expectorant against coughing adults
Expectorants for cough for adults have an effect on the epithelial tissue of internal organs, contribute to improving the motor activity of bronchioles. Sputum is moved from the lower parts of the respiratory tract to the upper ones, after which it is excreted. The use of expectorants can significantly increase the function of the bronchial glands, because in this case sputum will be released in large quantities and will not be viscous.
Expectorants for coughing adults are prescribed with a damp cough, if necessary rapid withdrawal of sputum in the acute form of bronchitis, pneumonia, inflammatory diseases of respiratory ways. Expectorants are made on the basis of medicinal plants. They can be presented in a variety of forms - herbal preparations, syrups, tablets and all kinds of suspensions are very popular.
Most known are expectorants for adults:
- cough syrup, tablets with plant, thermpsys lanceolate;
- syrup containing althaea root, altemix. The root of the althaea is part of the drug mukaltin, working with which you should follow the dosage, as exaggerating the norm can cause vomiting and nausea. Effectively the combination of the root of althea with licorice, sage, anise fruits, kidneys of pine. To prepare the solution, it is necessary to brew one tablespoon of herbal tea in a glass of boiling water, insisting for half an hour. You can drink after eating 100 ml.
Home remedy for coughing adults
A good tool for home use in case of coughing in an adult is a cocktail containing a mixture of honey and milk with soda. It should be heated milk, not bringing it to the boiling point, then stir in it half a teaspoon of soda with two teaspoons of honey. Formed broth should be drunk immediately, without tightening.
Compress from an adult cough
The effect of a warming compress from a cough is familiar to many even from childhood. This tool is effective for adults too. At home, you can apply a variety of ways of setting compresses from cough, the most famous of which is a potato compress. It is prepared as follows:
- Choose potatoes smaller, which will not be a pity to throw out and do not want to be cleaned.
- The potato is boiled in a uniform.
- After draining the water, the potato is folded into a polyethylene bag and wrinkled. Puree should not be done, you can only press down to give the potato a flat shape.
- A towel is placed on the chest for the patient, a potato pancake in the plastic bag is placed on top, another towel is placed on top and the patient is covered with a blanket.
- After the potatoes have cooled, remove the compress and cover the patient with a blanket.
Banks for coughing
To date, there are two varieties of medical cough coughs. Glass banks have been used for the treatment of colds for a long time. Nevertheless, they represent a certain danger, because they can poke around the edges and require an open flame for installation. There is another kind of cans - vacuum, made of polymers, which look like thick rubber. Their installation does not require fire, which makes the banks almost safe. In order to install such a jar, you just have to squeeze it in your hand and attach it to the installation site.
Cough inhalation for adults
Inhalations from coughing adults are divided into two varieties depending on the temperature of the incoming substances. They can be cold and hot. With cold inhalations, the person inhales the drug substance at room temperature, and the substance is not heated by anything. Hot inhalations involve the inhalation of heated vapors of a drug substance. If the temperature of the inhaled medicine is above 30 degrees, the inhalation is considered hot and the technique of its execution differs significantly from the cold inhalation. In general, inhalations are a great way to deliver medications to the mucous membranes of the respiratory system.