Cough with phlegm: what and how to treat if there is no temperature
If adults have a persistent dry or wet cough, this condition indicates a loss of airway, which causes this or that disease.
Such a symptom is a kind of self-defense of the body and is caused when foreign particles appear in the respiratory organs, for example, it can be green sputum when coughing.
Often with catarrhal diseases, there is a cough with sputum, which coughs up. Sputum is a viscous thick liquid that is produced by the mucous membrane.
Its basis is water with glycoproteins, lipids and immunoglobulins. Depending on the composition, the foamy consistency can have a different color, which varies from pale yellow to green and brown. From coughing with obvious phlegm, expectoration occurs, and microbes and accumulated toxins are removed from the respiratory tract.In most cases, dry cough is transformed into a wet cough with phlegm, which is expectorated. The most common reason that provokes it is smoking.
During smoking, a large amount of mucus accumulates in the airways, which leads to a strong cough with phlegm.
Also smoking paralyzes the thin hairs that are in the airways, because of which expectoration is greatly complicated.
Causes and types of phlegm on coughing
Cough without fever can cause a variety of diseases. One of the reasons for the appearance of symptoms is the development of asthma. At the initial stage of the disease, the patient feels slight hoarseness and a dry cough with hard-to-recover sputum. After a while the wheezing becomes strong and a strong cough with sputum appears. In this case, a thick foamy mucus may form in the form of precipitates.
In addition, it can be noted:
- Another cause may be chronic bronchitis. A similar disease with chronic blocking of the airways causes a dry cough that gradually passes into a cough without temperature. In this liquid consistency can contain salty purulent mucus brown.
- Cough with yellow sputum often occurs as a result of the appearance of a common cold. In this case, the color of sputum during a cough may change, as pus accumulates in it.
- Mucus in large quantities in the way of breathing accumulates if there is an inhalation of dust, smoke and other irritants that provoke a cough with phlegm.
Often, these symptoms are observed with an allergic reaction or chronic sinusitis. A green liquid consistency when coughing is observed if the disease has become chronic.
A severe cough and with phlegm can also report the presence of such a serious disease as lung cancer. Therefore, it is worthwhile to be alerted if bloody veins are found in the consistency. Also, mucus may contain purulent clusters.
If the dry cough has flowed smoothly into a cough with phlegm, this can be a signal of the development of pneumonia. Yellow or gray salted phlegm in turn changes color due to the activity of bacteria present in it.
Yellow sputum when coughingThe appearance of yellow sputum may indicate that the patient develops bronchitis, pneumonia or sinusitis. In the event that a cough with sheer yellow sputum appears unexpectedly and abruptly, you should immediately consult a doctor to begin treatment as soon as possible.
Especially dangerous if the mucus contains purulent or blood clots. The yellow color appears, as a rule, when the main consistency is mixed with pus.
To accurately diagnose the disease and prescribe the right treatment, the doctor prescribes sputum analysis, which is collected in a special jar. The procedure is performed in the morning on an empty stomach, before that the oral cavity is rinsed with a weak antiseptic solution.
Also purulent sputum can be yellow with frequent smoking. With bronchitis, the color of the liquid consistency can reveal the cause of the disease and the presence of bacteria in the body.
Treatment is prescribed only after careful examination and clarification of the exact diagnosis.
White sputum curd consistency indicates the presence of respiratory tract fungus infection or tuberculosis. Fungi can affect the bronchi as a result of prolonged antibiotic treatment with reduced immunity. This leads to the appearance of a pathogenic microflora on the mucosa. In the case of tuberculosis, mucus is usually released in small amounts.
If white spots are found in the white sputum, the doctor can diagnose a pulmonary complication due to damage during the coughing of the laryngeal vessels. A white, watery consistency may be caused by external stimuli, a viral infection or diseases of the respiratory organs.
Transparent sputum indicates that the inflammatory process is absent. A thick and transparent consistency can indicate that lung inflammation, bronchitis, allergies, asthma or colds develop.
With a constant increase in the amount of mucus and sputum, the patient is poisoned, so it is important to start treatment on time to prevent congestion in the bronchi.
Cough and blood
Bloody splotches in the sputum when coughing report a respiratory disease. If such symptoms appear, you should immediately seek medical help in order to identify the causes and start the necessary treatment.
When the reasons lie in the development of lung cancer, the blood in the sputum is in the form of veins. Including a cough with blood can be caused by bronchitis, in this case you can find small scarlet veins in a small amount.
If the causes are the development of pneumonia, fresh cords of blood will appear from the cough with sputum. From what caused the painful symptoms, it will depend on what treatment the doctor will prescribe.
A protracted coughProlonged is a cough that lasts more than four to eight weeks, with a positive dynamics to recovery is not observed. This condition is a very disturbing symptom that reports a serious illness.
Before the treatment begins, the doctor prescribes the X-ray of the lungs to exclude cancer. The reasons for this state of the patient can be reduced to the presence of inflammation, bronchial asthma, tuberculosis. A prolonged cough may also occur in heavy smokers with prolonged bronchitis. Such a disease is considered chronic and it is difficult to cure it.
A prolonged cough is observed in people who, in the nature of their activities, are associated with chemicals. In particular, with constant contact with asbestos, people often develop asbestosis disease.
To get rid of the disease, it is required to change the kind of activity, so as not to contract with the stimulus, there are no other ways to solve such a problem.
The appearance of cough in the morning
Quite often people cough in the morning, and there's nothing to worry about. Thus, they cough up phlegm, which accumulated overnight in the respiratory tract. However, it is important to understand that in healthy people mucus departs in small amounts. If a large amount of sputum is produced, there may be reasons for this.
Most often in the morning, heavy smokers and coughing up mucus inveterate smokers. As you know, a morning cough of a chronic nature signals about tobacco poisoning. If you do not start treatment on time, the symptoms will only increase.
Causes of severe cough in the morning can also be chronic lung disease, tuberculosis. The patient can cough intensely if mucus from the nasal sinuses is stuck in the throat.
Treatment of cough with phlegm
When cough and sputum is caused by acute respiratory viral infection or bronchitis, the accumulated consistency is difficult the physician prescribes treatment with the use of special mucolytics, which dilute sputum. Also, in the case of difficultly separated sputum, expectorants are prescribed.
Many people, worrying about their health, sometimes refuse to take medicine, giving preference to folk remedies. However, it must be borne in mind that such treatments may also have contraindications and cause side effects. Therefore, before starting treatment, you should consult your doctor.
It is also important to understand that mucolytic and antitussive drugs can not be taken at the same time, otherwise the patient's condition will only worsen.
Medicinal products that relieve cough are divided into three main groups:
- Expectorants are prescribed if it is required to treat symptoms of a cold with sparse phlegm.
- Anti-cough medicines are prescribed when it is necessary to treat an unproductive and dry cough.
- Mucolytic drugs are used when it is required to treat symptoms with thick, viscous and difficult to separate sputum.
Coughs of expectorant actionQuickly and effectively cure moist cough Althea's preparations, including Mukaltin, Alteika syrup and Althea's Root, will help. Medicinal expectorant is prescribed if it is necessary to treat acute and chronic pathologies of the respiratory system in the form of bronchitis, emphysema of the lungs, tracheobronchitis. The drug is used for viscous hard to separate sputum.
The drug dilutes the consistency, relieves inflammation, stimulates the wave-like contractions of the walls of the bronchi, so that mucus is easily removed from the respiratory tract. However, to treat Althea with symptoms is contraindicated in case of individual sensitivity, ulcer of the duodenum and stomach. Diabetics should also be cautious during treatment.
Preparations based on thermopsis help to cure cold symptoms by irritating the center of breathing, which contributes to expectoration of sputum. This includes pills for coughing Termopsol, Kodelak bronchus with thyme. The medicine has an expectorant, anti-inflammatory and mucolytic effect due to the content in the active elements.
Quickly cure a wet cough is helped by breastfeeding, which includes such medicinal herbs as oregano, mother-and-stepmother, plantain, licorice, sage, anise, marshmallow, pine buds from cough, chamomile, violet, ledum, calendula.
Also, many prefer to treat the symptoms of cold with the help of the Bronchophyte elixir, it contains a rosemary, plantain, anise, licorice, sage, violet, thyme.
Mucolytic drugs for coughing
Mucolytic drugs are prescribed to drink when you need to treat bronchitis. Such preparations dilute sputum, improve its excretion and, thus, break favorable conditions for the reproduction of pathogenic organisms.
Drugs, the active ingredient of which is acetylcysteine, help get rid of severe symptoms in chronic bronchitis. They are also taken with laryngitis, otitis media, pneumonia. These drugs are contraindicated for pulmonary hemorrhage, bronchial asthma, adrenal pathology, hepatic and renal insufficiency.
Bromhexine and its preparations Solvin and Bronchosan are widely used in the conduct of inhalations. The effect of treatment can be seen after only 2 days. With increased viscosity, sputum is prescribed to drink drugs based on carbocisteine, among which medicines such as Fluidite, Fluviert, Bronhobos and Libexin Muno.
An interesting video in this article offers information on how to cure a cough.
Cough with phlegm without temperature - how to treat?Everyone knows that cough is a protective reaction of the body. With his help, a person is released from sputum, as well as various harmful substances. Many people ask: why does a cough develop without temperature? What does this symptom speak about? Quite often a strong cough, in which there are no signs of a cold, acute respiratory viral infection, influenza, indicates a very severe allergic reaction.
Causes of a wet cough without temperature
A person can cough when inhaling dust or other allergens. Also a strong cough appears in the case of polluted air. To clarify the diagnosis is best to complete a complete examination.
It is important to understand that a painful wet cough without a rise in temperature can indicate a serious illness of respiratory organs, lungs. Sometimes a coughing fit occurs after a person inhales corrosive gases, tobacco smoke, or food gets into his respiratory tract.
Different color of sputum when coughing
During the diagnosis, the coloring of sputum is of no small importance, and one must pay attention to it, because it indicates the development of a serious respiratory disease:
- Pneumoniaalmost always accompanied by yellow-green or yellow sputum.
- Bronchial asthmahas a clear and dense sputum.
- Croupous pneumoniaaccompanied by the release of rusty sputum.
- Gangrene lungsalmost always when cough accompanied by phlegm green.
- Pulmonary edemacharacterized by frothy sputum.
- Malignant lung tumoraccompanied by phlegm with blood fibers.
- Bronchitis or influenzacharacterized by a yellow-green, purulent sputum with blood.
- Lung infarctionaccompanied by bright red sputum.
- Fungal lung infectioncharacterized by a cough with white lumpy phlegm.
How to get rid of a wet cough without temperature for a day?
With timely treatment, you can quickly get rid of this unpleasant symptom. To do this, folk healers recommend that you pay attention to the healing collection, which includes: linseed, linden, plantain, mother-and-stepmother. Take a tablespoon of herbal collection and brew in a glass of boiling water.
Also, be sure to try these time-tested recipes:
- Fig with milk. It is necessary to take 250 ml of milk, add in it figs (2 tablespoons), all boil on a small fire. Insist for about half an hour, then grind to a mellow consistency. Use three times a day.
- Cranberry juice with honey.Add a tablespoon of honey to a glass of juice.
- Lime teahelp quickly get rid of a wet cough. You need to take half a glass of water, add 100 grams of honey and 200 grams of lime, and also put 100 grams of birch buds. Warm up all about 20 minutes. After straining the mixture, add another teaspoon of aloe juice. The remedy is taken after breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Berries of Kalina.Boil the viburnum, then mix it with honey in equal proportions. Take no more than a tablespoon.
- Badger fatis the best anti-inflammatory. It helps to get rid of even a prolonged cough. You need to take a small amount of fat and rub your breasts. This curative product will help you quickly cure a wet cough that has long been troubling.
How to treat a severe cough without fever?
Note that using antibiotics when coughing without temperature, there is no point. Perhaps this kind of cough appeared after the inhalation of toxic substances, as well as after smoking, in case of an allergic reaction, infection with ascarids, worms and after prolonged exposure to dust.
Antibiotics are prescribed only if a person has tracheitis, bronchitis, laryngitis, pneumonia or tuberculosis. A strong wet cough without high fever, still need to be treated, strictly adhering to the basic medical recommendations.
Many are mistaken when they think that a wet cough without temperature can not be a sign of pneumonia. Quite a lot of cases when pneumonia occurs without high temperature, therefore it is important to undergo examination:
- To hand over a sowing of a sputum.
- Make a fluorography of the lungs.
- To hand over the general analysis of a blood.
In order to get rid of a wet cough, you must first find out the exact cause of its appearance. In smokers most often it appears early in the morning, while sputum can be with blood. If, in addition to a cough, there is a runny nose, sore throat, most likely, you have ARVI.
Features of treatment of wet cough without fever in an infant
Sometimes a wet cough appears in the toddlers. What are the causes?
- Bronchial asthma.When the disease cough is almost always accompanied by a sputum discharge.
- A night attack of a cough.In children, a strong cough can be a symptom of a dangerous disease - whooping cough. Cure it with conventional medicines is not possible. In this case, there is a paroxysmal night cough with vomiting.
- Barking cough in babiesappears with an acute inflammatory process in the nose, larynx, nasopharynx. With a strong coughing, chest and stomach tighten. Wet coughing in a child, in which there is no temperature, is an alarming symptom, which immediately needs to contact the pediatrician.
So, do not think if a cough without temperature, it is not at all dangerous. This is not true! Wet cough, which does not pass a long time, indicates a serious pathological process in the body. It is important to establish the cause of its occurrence in a timely manner. When diagnosing a doctor, the doctor takes into account the nature of the sputum, how badly the symptom runs, conducts all the necessary tests, only then makes a decision about the treatment. To any cough you need to be treated quite seriously, otherwise everything can end with serious consequences. Do not joke with your health, do not do self-diagnosis and self-medication, just go to the doctor!
Cough with phlegm
Medical specialists apply to such a concept as cough with phlegm, the term "productive." This means that during the coughing episode, the production of bronchial tubes is allocated - mucus secretions, which are excreted with coughing movements outward.
It is believed that such discharge is a sign of purging the pulmonary system, and therefore one of the symptoms of an early recovery. Nevertheless, it should not be forgotten that the presence of mucous secretions may also indicate the development of serious diseases, for example, bronchial asthma, pneumonia, oncology of the respiratory system, ischemic disease heart.
Causes of cough with phlegm
Excretions during expectoration can appear exclusively in respiratory tract diseases, representing the result of increased production and secretion of bronchi (during bronchitis or asthma), the effusion of blood plasma from the vasculature into the pulmonary cavity (during pulmonary edema), the release of pus from the cavities (with abscess, tuberculous caverns, bronchiectasis).
The most common reasons are:
- upper respiratory tract infections (respiratory viral infections and pathologies);
- obstructive form of bronchial inflammation;
- allergic conditions, including bronchial asthma;
- abscess of the lungs;
The exact reason for triggering a cough reflex can only be determined by a diagnostic method, while Of great importance is the characterization of bronchial secretions, as well as the presence of other associated symptoms.
Is sputum cough phlegm?
Is it contagious if it coughs productively? This question is often of interest to many patients, especially the mothers of small children who doubt about whether it is possible to lead a child into the kindergarten, if the seizures become productive and began to clear slime.
It is worth noting that cough syndrome is contagious regardless of whether it is wet or dry if it is caused by a viral infection. On average, the period of "infectiousness" (in medicine - contagiousness) of a viral disease varies from 5 to 10 days from the time of the onset of the first symptoms. However, some diseases can be dangerous for others for a longer period:
- diphtheria - up to 2 weeks;
- whooping cough - up to 18 days from the onset of the illness. As a rule, after 28 days, the patient who has recovered whooping cough will not be exactly dangerous, even if the coughing trouble continues to bother the patient.
Therefore, it is not entirely correct to believe that if a child has a temperature stabilized and a mucous secret has appeared, then the risk of infecting other children is canceled. The virus often continues to exist in the body and is released by the patient when exhaled and sneezed.
Symptoms of coughing with phlegm
As the symptoms of the disease progress with the accumulation of excretions of the bronchial tree, it becomes necessary to purify the respiratory tract from the accumulated secretion. In this case, a cough reflex works-a call for a sharp exhalation of the air, due to irritation of the bronchial walls with a mucous secretion.
When there is an abundance of mucus, it is important to distinguish the cleansing process from the transition of the inflammatory pathology to the chronic form.
Usually coughing movement originates from a sharp and deep breath, which lasts no more than 2 seconds. After that, the guttural musculature, covering the vocal chink, is also sharply reduced. Bronchial muscles immediately come to tone, the abdominal muscles contract - this action of the muscle fibers is aimed at overcoming the resistance of the closed glottis. At this time, the pressure within the chest cavity is about 100 mm Hg. Art. Then there is a sudden opening of the glottis and an exhaled exhalation. Basically, if the bronchi have accumulated secretions, the cough reflex is triggered involuntarily, but the patient himself is able to trigger it independently.
As a rule, the cough and cramping of the bronchi by itself are not a disease - they are just symptoms of another disease, which is important to detect and cure. Do not ignore other signs that indicate the presence of the disease:
- difficulty breathing, shortness of breath;
- temperature increase;
- loss of appetite;
- pain inside the chest;
- wheezing when breathing;
- change in color and other properties of sputum.
Cough with expectoration during pregnancy
In pregnancy, any disease is perceived extremely negatively: still, it is not known how the disease will affect fetus, as well as pregnancy itself, and medications throughout this period should be taken very selectively. However, there is an indisputable fact that in pregnant women immunity is clearly weakened, so ARD with ARVI during gestation, unfortunately, is not uncommon.
Cough syndrome during pregnancy is also often found: it is not only possible to treat it, but it is also necessary. Illiterate or untimely treatment can pose a serious threat to pregnancy. First of all, coughing jerks can provoke an increased tone of the uterus, which can lead to painful spasms and even detachment. At the same time, arterial and intra-abdominal pressure increases, which can provoke miscarriage at early stages or premature birth at later stages of gestation.
When respiratory illnesses, it is necessary to see a doctor, and not only: it will be better if the woman remembers the doctor for any anxious or suspicious symptoms. It should be borne in mind that coughing attacks and mucus secretion from the bronchi can accompany not only a cold, but also diseases of the stomach, thyroid, heart. Do not start treatment yourself, let the medical specialist do it.
Types of phlegm on coughing
Bronchial mucous accumulations are pathological excretions that go out in the process of coughing tremors from the respiratory tract. In healthy people, too, mucus is produced inside the bronchi: this mucus performs a protective function, not allowing dust, chemicals and bacteria to penetrate to the lungs. If the amount of this mucus increases, pus with other impurities is added to it, then it is usually said about the appearance of moist discharge. Allocation is divided into several types, which depends on their number, color, odor, density, multilayeredness.
Let's talk about the types of mucous secretions for respiratory diseases.
- Green sputum when coughing is usually a companion of many inflammatory pathologies involving the bronchi and lungs. Such diseases can be provoked by a bacterial and viral infection, or have an allergic nature. To the listed diseases carry protracted bronchitis, croupous pneumonia, bronchial asthma, tuberculosis, oncology, etc. As a rule, green dense mucus is a sign of a stagnant purulent process in the lungs.
- Cough with hard-to-recover sputum appears most often as a consequence of ARVI or ARI, and can also be the result of stagnant phenomena in the lungs. If the slimy secret has too dense consistency and viscosity, then it is difficult for him to get out of the respiratory pathways, it accumulates inside the bronchi, provoking constant coughing, not bringing relief.
- Blood in sputum when coughing can appear as a result of a small and harmless bleeding from the capillary vessels of the bronchial tree, which could burst during a coughing attack, and due to serious disease. Therefore, the presence of blood should alert, especially if such a sign is present for several days, or if the discharge contains a large amount of blood. Do not forget that the admixture of blood can get to a secret from patients with tonsils, nasopharynx, bleeding gums.
- Yellow sputum when coughing - this is the result of the appearance of pus in the secretions. Most often this is a sign of an incomplete bronchitis, or its transition to a chronic form. If you continue to neglect treatment, then over time, such a secret can change the color from straw-yellow to rusty or green (an obvious sign of a purulent process).
- Cough with purulent sputum often indicates the development of stagnation inside the lungs, especially if the discharge becomes much thicker. Broncham becomes difficult to remove the purulent secret, which accumulates and can acquire an unpleasant smell and taste. As a rule, without therapy with antibiotics in this situation can not do.
- White sputum when coughing is potentially able to appear with inflammation of the lungs. If the white secret is secreted by lumps, or resembles cottage cheese, then this unambiguously means that the causative agent of pneumonia is a fungal infection. In this situation, antibiotics will not help: special anti-fungal therapy will be needed.
- Black sputum when coughing is in most cases a professional sign - such excretions are typical for miners, masons, excavators. To learn more about the presence or absence of the disease, you will have to pass the secret to the analysis.
- Gray sputum when coughing, as well as black, often accompanies respiratory illness in representatives Some professions, whose work is related to the presence in the air and inhalation of a large amount of dust with suspended particles. To the same category carry heavy smokers, inside the respiratory organs which are deposited nicotine gums, giving the secreted secretions a gray tint.
- Pink sputum when coughing is a sign of the presence of a small amount of blood inside the mucus. Most often this is the result of the bleeding of bursting capillaries, which can occur with too aggressive coughing attacks. However, for such pink discharge it is necessary to observe: if they last more than 3 days, or change color to intense red, then you should immediately contact a specialist.
- Red sputum when coughing indicates the appearance of blood in the discharge. This can be considered as hemoptysis in tuberculosis, actinomycosis, oncology of the respiratory system, with abscess, pulmonary infarction, heart failure or pulmonary edema. This condition is considered very dangerous and requires immediate medical attention. In rare cases, redness of the secretion may be caused by taking certain medications.
- Transparent sputum when coughing is the most innocuous kind of mucous secretions. Usually such a sign accompanies the onset of respiratory illnesses, when complications are still absent, and the disease can be cured without any negative consequences. Nevertheless, if the mucus is viscous, "vitreous this may be a sign of bronchial asthma.
- Frozen sputum when coughing occurs with anthrax or pulmonary edema. Both that, and other disease are considered very serious, that demands the immediate reference to the doctor.
- Dense sputum during coughing usually appears at the initial stages of the transition of the dry process to wet, or with stagnant phenomena. To the mucous secret was not thick, use thinning medications, chest massage. It is also recommended to use a large amount of alkaline warm liquid.
As you can see, the characteristic of the secretions has the most important diagnostic value. No less important role is played by the description of coughing attacks, so we will dwell further on this symptom.
Types of cough syndrome
Wet cough syndrome is considered a natural physiological phenomenon, through which the accumulation of accumulated mucus from the tracheobronchial tree occurs. However, many are concerned that such a symptom is not always the same. Can this prove anything? In some cases, it really can, because manifestations of cough reflex are a valuable informative moment in setting the right diagnosis.
- A painful cough with phlegm is able to indicate that the mucus is too viscous to go out without hindrance. Therefore, in order to push out a thick discharge, the respiratory tract needs to exert much more effort, which causes soreness or even heaviness in the course of the bronchi. To facilitate the release of mucus, use medications that dilute it.
- Cough with viscous sputum is often characteristic of croupous pneumonia, an inflammatory reaction in the respiratory system. With properly prescribed treatment, after a short time, such mucus becomes liquid, begins to expectorate well.
- Coughing spells with phlegm can be observed with a large accumulation of mucus in the bronchi. If there are many discharges, they gradually begin to irritate the bronchial walls, which provokes a coughing attack. Such an attack continues until all the discharges leave the airway. Then the accumulation occurs anew, and the process repeats. To ensure that mucus does not accumulate in large quantities, it is recommended to periodically move, walk around the room, do light gymnastics. Massage of the chest is useful.
- Cough after eating with phlegm is often not a sign of respiratory diseases. He has other causes associated with the pathology of the digestive system. This symptom is characteristic for peptic ulcer, gastroesophageal reflux, as well as other gastrointestinal diseases. To clarify the diagnosis, it is better to consult a gastroenterologist.
- Cough with phlegm without temperature is a characteristic symptom of ARI or viral infection in patients with weakened immunity. The absence of fever at this stage is not an excuse for ignoring the disease. Treatment is prescribed accordingly with other available symptoms.
- Cough with phlegm and a temperature of 37 ° C is considered one of the typical signs of ARI. This temperature is not dangerous, it does not require the appointment of antipyretic drugs. Moreover, the use of tablets and potions that "knock down" the temperature is highly discouraged in this situation. Temperature values of about 37-3, ° C mean that immunity works, and the body struggles with the disease on its own. In this case, you do not need to interfere.
- An allergic cough with sputum is less common than without it. Usually it is not accompanied by an increase in temperature, there may be a runny nose. If the bronchial secretion is excreted, then, as a rule, it does not contain an admixture of pus or blood - the clearing is transparent. Attacks occur more often at night or after contact with an allergen: animal hair, dust, pollen, etc. 8.
- Cough with phlegm and runny nose - a common occurrence in ARVI or with allergies. It is necessary to distinguish these two diseases: in ARVI often there is a fever, and with allergies it should not be.
- Dyspnoea and cough with phlegm in many cases mean the initial stage of bronchial asthma. This disease consists in worsening patency of the bronchi due to bronchospasm, inflammatory puffiness of mucous membranes, ingestion of bronchial mucus. All these factors have the complex name "obstruction of the bronchi". Shortness of breath with worsening of the condition occurs paroxysmally: in the intervals between attacks the patient usually feels quite satisfactory.
- Cough of the smoker with phlegm - heavy, with wheezing, occurs more in the morning. Slime from the bronchi can be light, sometimes with a gray tint, with an unpleasant smell of nicotine gums. The cough reflex works in response to irritation of the bronchial walls with cigarette smoke, the obstruction of bronchioles with tobacco resins, and the accumulation of a protective secret in the respiratory system. It is observed regularly, almost constantly, can be accompanied by inflammatory processes (chronic) of the trachea, bronchi, larynx.
- Cough with phlegm in the morning is observed with bronchiectasis, chronic bronchitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, and smokers with experience. To establish the cause of morning bouts, it is often necessary to check not only the respiratory system, but also the organs digestion, since often the mucus inside the lungs is a secretion of the stomach, abandoned by night sleep inside the respiratory ways. This happens during diseases of the esophagus - reflux-esophagitis.
- Night cough with phlegm occurs in bronchial asthma, cardiac insufficiency, sinusitis, pertussis. When diagnosing this type of coughing, attention should also be paid to other symptoms: soreness inside the chest or heart, color of discharge, temperature, runny nose.
- Bark cough with sputum may be a sign of obstructive bronchitis, pertussis, false croup, which is often found in children of childhood. In adults, it can be a sign of pharyngitis, laryngitis, and inflammatory process in the bronchi and (or) in the trachea.
- Coughing up to vomiting with sputum in children is common, as the cough and vomiting center is almost there. Therefore, even a mild attack can provoke the appearance of vomiting, especially if the baby has recently eaten. In adult patients, such a reaction may be a sign of disturbances in the digestive system, namely, peptic ulcer.
- A persistent cough with sputum is a clear sign of chronic damage to the respiratory system. This condition can be observed in heavy smokers, in persons working inside dusty unventilated premises or in chemical industries, as well as in patients who did not receive acute treatment bronchitis. Chronic diseases of the respiratory system are more difficult to treat. If the disease is associated with a professional activity, a change of place of work may be mandatory.
- Paroxysmal cough with phlegm is a frequent satellite of allergy, for example, bronchial asthma. During seizures, the patient experiences shortness of breath may secrete a mucous transparent secret from the bronchi. In breaks between attacks of the patient, as a rule, nothing disturbs - he feels almost healthy.
As can be seen, a cough reflex with secretion can be observed with various lesions of the trachea, bronchi, lungs, larynx, heart or digestive system. Therefore, it is very, very difficult to determine the cause of the indisposition independently. Trust a good doctor: a comprehensive diagnosis will help determine the disease in time to begin treatment of respiratory problems.
Who to contact?Pulmonologist General practitioner Family doctor
Diagnosis of cough with phlegm
The collection of data on the history of the disease is of great importance for the diagnosis of respiratory pathologies. The doctor will start by receiving the following information:
- When did the disease begin?
- Did other diseases, such as viral infections, precede him?
- Is the seasonality of the pathology traced, are there any seizures of shortness of breath or shortness of breath?
- Are there additional symptoms, such as a runny nose, stuffy nose, heartburn, stomach pain, etc.?
- Is there a temperature increase?
- What is special about bronchial secretions? What color are they? Is there a smell?
- Are there chronic diseases, bad habits?
- What are the features of professional work?
- Is there a tendency to allergies?
- Did the patient take ACE inhibitor drugs (captopril, enalapril, prestarium, etc.)?
After finding out the anamnesis, the doctor proceeds to a number of additional studies.
- Physical examination (general examination). Includes the detection of signs of heart disease, examination of the mouth, throat. The doctor pays attention to the increase in lymph nodes, the presence of free nasal breathing, the purity of the surface of the tongue and tonsils. Conducts audition of the lungs for the presence of wheezing, whistles, crepitations, as well as the nature of the listed symptoms.
- Chest x-ray. It is performed to detect neoplasms and tuberculosis changes inside the lungs, and bronchiectasis and sarcoidosis can also be detected.
- Evaluation of the functionality of external respiration - allows to detect bronchial obstruction, interstitial lung diseases, bronchial asthma.
- Analysis of bronchial secretions with microscopy of the material. Smears are stained by Gram and Tsil-Nielsen, mucus sowing and cytological examination are carried out.
- Instrumental methods of research. Methods of bronchoscopy with cytology and histology are used (mainly if there is a suspicion of oncological disease), biopsy of suspicious tissues, transbronchial lung biopsy, CT scan.
The diagnosis is based on a set of studies, based on the results of a general examination, analyzes of the coughing material and instrumental assessment of the state of the respiratory system.
Treatment of cough with phlegm
Some believe that if bronchial mucus is released, the disease does not need treatment. This is a great misconception. Treatment at this stage is mandatory. It should be aimed at facilitating the diversion of excreta and the elimination of the underlying disease.
If the discharge is poorly expectorated and remains in the bronchial cavity for a long time, it can lead to bacterial complications. Therefore, the most used medicines in this situation are expectorant medications, mucolytics and combined agents. Some of them make slime more liquid, while others control its production in order to produce exactly the amount of excreta that the organism can take out most easily.
Dilution of sputum during coughing can occur with the use of expectorants:
- plant (based on plants) - are represented by pectusin, solutane, tussin, piles, syrup "Doctor Mom
- synthetic - are represented by bromhexine, lazolvanom, ambroksolom, ATSTS.
Herbal preparations may have fewer side effects, but they are more likely to cause allergies, especially in pediatric patients. All this must be taken into account when choosing the means of treatment.
Treatment for a cough with hard-to-recover sputum should be done only with expectorants and mucolytic medications. In no case can you use antitussive drugs - they block the cough reflex, and hard to remove mucus in general ceases to be excreted. As a result, we get the accumulation of mucus inside the bronchi and lungs, the attachment of bacterial infection and complications, sometimes in the form of pneumonia. Choose medication carefully, after consulting with a doctor. We remind you that such medications should dilute and facilitate the excretion of bronchial mucus, cleaning the respiratory tract from the inside. Simultaneously, the main disease is treated, symptomatic treatment, immunostimulating therapy is carried out.
Means for coughing sputum
If the mucus from the bronchi is difficult to separate and removed, doctors recommend drinking plenty of warm liquid, including herbal teas and compotes. Apply medications that eliminate inflammation, having an enveloping, expectorant and bronchodilator effect, reducing the sensitivity of bronchial walls, increasing the cough threshold. If not contraindicated, you can use steam inhalation with the addition of various drugs and herbs. Inhalations help moisturize the mucous membrane, calm pain, improve the composition of mucus, relax smooth bronchial muscles.
At the same time, medicines based on thermopsis or ipecacuan should not be used in early childhood, since they can stimulate increased irritation of the respiratory system and the appearance of vomiting.
Let's consider the most effective means in more detail.
Inhalations with a spit with sputum often involve the use of herbal remedies: leaves of eucalyptus, sage, calendula, chamomile, St. John's wort, as well as preparations of Salvin and Romazulona. With inhalations of steam, it is recommended to use phytoncides - all known onions or garlic, the proportion: 0. In the pharmacy you can buy onion tincture on alcohol - it is used for the amount of 25 cap / 100 ml of pure water. A good effect is expected from such simple means that use on, l of water:
- sea salt or baking soda (1 h. l.);
- essential oil 10 cap. (eucalyptus, mint, needles, anise, peach);
- balm "Asterisk" - on the tip of the spoon.
You can use oils for inhalation - from sea buckthorn, olives, rose hips, rosemary.
Cough medicines with sputum are divided into several categories:
- products based on bromhexine (Bromhexin, Ascoril, Solvin);
- funds based on ambroxol (Ambrobe, Ambrosal, Flavamed, etc.);
- drugs based on carbocisteine (Bronhobos, Fluviert);
- means based on acetylcysteine (ACTS, Fluimutsil);
- vegetable preparations based on althea, anise, elecampane, plantain, etc. (Mukaltin, Pectussin, Bronchikum, etc.). •
Tablets from cough with phlegm:
- Carbocysteine - stabilizes the consistency of mucus, contributes to its exit from the broncho-pulmonary system. Assign 2 capsules three times a day, with the improvement go to 1 capsule three times a day;
- Likorin - normalizes the secretion of the bronchial glands, relaxes the spasmodic smooth muscle structures of the bronchi. Take ½ or a whole tablet 3 to 4 times a day after eating;
- Likvitorit - a drug of licorice, eliminates inflammation, spasm, improves expectoration. Assign 1-2 tablets up to 4 times a day for half an hour before meals;
- Mukaltin - a preparation of an althaea, a soft expectorant. Apply orally 1-2 tablets up to 3 times a day before meals. •
Antibiotics for coughing with sputum are prescribed only in advanced cases of the disease, as well as with suspected complications. In most cases, the following antibiotics are considered effective:
- penicillin series is represented by amoxicillin (Flemoxin), augmentin, amoxiclav, ampicillin and others. The listed medicines perniciously act on the majority of bacteria which cause an inflammatory reaction in the respiratory organs. If one of these drugs does not show the expected effect, it is replaced by another belonging to another group of antibiotics;
- fluoroquinolone series is represented by levofloxacin, moxifloxacin (Avelox). Such drugs are usually prescribed if antibiotics from a number of penicillins are ineffective;
- the cephalosporin series is represented by cefuroxime (also Zinnat, Aksetin), cefixime (Suprax), etc. These antibiotics are often used to treat inflammatory processes in the bronchi, lungs, pleura, etc .;
- macrolide series is represented by azithromycin (Sumamed), which is often taken with atypical pneumonia, where the pathogens are mycoplasma or chlamydia. •
Cough syrup with phlegm is a very popular remedy, especially in children's practice. Many syrups are analogous to tablets, with a similar composition and action. Children are more willing to take syrups: it is easier for them to swallow a sweet aromatic liquid than to swallow a bitter pill. To choose a syrup it is desirable, being guided by recommendations of the doctor:
- Linkas is a herbal medicine, it eliminates the fever, spasms of the respiratory system, improves the production of mucus by the bronchi. It is prescribed for pharyngitis, tracheobronchitis;
- vegetable syrup Suprima-Broncho - can be prescribed with laryngitis, pharyngitis, pneumonia, whooping cough, tracheobronchitis. May cause an allergic reaction;
- Syrup Lazolvan - a remedy from the group ambroksola. A very common and effective drug. Used for inflammation of the bronchi, lungs, bronchial asthma, congestion, bronchiectasias;
- Herbion - syrup from plantain. Treats inflammation of the respiratory system, helps even with a cough syndrome smoker;
- Bromheksin-syrup - mucolytic, promotes expectoration, thinning viscous mucus. Improves and facilitates the secretion of secretions;
- Erespal when coughing with phlegm - a syrup based on Fenspiride, an anti-bronchoconstrictor. Relieves spasms, eliminates inflammation, reduces the secretion of mucus by the bronchi. Actively used for bronchial asthma, bronchospasm, chronic bronchitis, pertussis, pharyngitis. Can be used in children from the moment of birth, from 2 hours. l. up to 6 tbsp. l. a day before meals. At reception there can be a drowsiness, frustration GASTROINTESTINAL TRACT. • \
Herbs from coughing with phlegm are the most acceptable treatment without medication. Pine kidneys, onion, garlic, marshmallow, mint, chamomile, plantain, mother-and-stepmother, St. John's wort, elephant, sage are used as components for the collections or therapeutic mixtures. Herbs can be used in the form of broths, infusions for inhalation, herbal teas for oral administration. A good effect is given by special breastfeeding, which can be purchased at any pharmacy. There are 4 types of such fees:
- No. 1 - althea rhizome, oregano, mother-stepmother leaf;
- №2 - mother-and-stepmother, plantain, rhizome of licorice;
- №3 - rhizome altea, anise, rhizome of licorice, pine buds, sage;
- №4 - chamomile color, Labrador tea, calendula, violet, rhizome of licorice, mint.
Vegetative components in these collections have complex mucolytic, expectorant, bronchodilating and anti-inflammatory effect. The secret begins to retire on time, the cough reflex is gradually docked.
Folk remedies for cough and phlegm
What other folk remedies are used in the treatment of respiratory diseases with expectoration of a secret:
- We put a whole lemon in water, boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool. Cut the lemon into 2 equal parts, squeeze the juice into which we add 2 tbsp. l. glycerin, top up to 200 ml with honey, mix. Accepted for 1 tbsp. l. received mass three times a day before meals and at bedtime.
- Mix the equal parts of freshly squeezed carrot juice, black radish and milk. We consume 6 times a day for 1 tbsp. l.
- Mix two chicken yolks, 2 tbsp. l. fresh butter, 2 h. l. natural honey, 1 hour. l. flour. We use the obtained mass for 1 hour. l. throughout the day, can be repeated.
- Take black radish (7 pcs.), Cut into slices, add a little sugar to each piece, leave it for 6 hours. The resulting juice is drained, then we take 1 tbsp. l. every 60 minutes.
- We prepare a kissel from a viburnum on honey, we drink during the day.
- We prepare the infusion of sage (1 tbsp. l. for 250 ml of hot water), we insist, filter, add equal amount of boiled milk. We drink 100 ml several times a day, with honey or sugar.
- Finely chopped, kg of onions, add 400 g of sugar and 40-60 g of honey, boil with 1 liter of water for 3 hours on low heat. Then cool it, drain the liquid. We consume 1 tbsp. l. about 5 times a day, it is possible during coughing seizures.
The use of folk remedies can be more effective if combined with inhalation by steam, using baking soda, medicinal herbs. A positive effect is observed when adding fir, cedar, eucalyptus oil to the fluid for inhalation. Such procedures are best done at night, before going to bed.
What if my cough does not go away with phlegm?
The appearance or intensification of the presence of pus in the mucous secretions, a significant increase in the amount of secretion, an increase in temperature indicators (preliminary signs of exacerbation) may be the reason for the earliest possible and soonest appointment antibiotic therapy. Begin such treatment with the use of ampicillin (1 g from 4 to 6 times a day), levomycetin (per, g four times per day), tetracycline, cefazolin, lincomycin.
To activate a protective immune mechanism, it is recommended to take vitamin drinks and multivitamin preparations. In order to stimulate the nonspecific resistance of the body, biogenic stimulants are used:
- an extract of aloe liquid injecting in / m or s / c of 1 ml per day for a month;
- biosedema IM injection 1 ml (2 ml) every day. For 20-30 days.
From herbal remedies it is recommended to add preparations from elderberry, nettle leaves, parsley root, willow bark.
If the condition steadily worsens, then there can be no question of independent treatment. Therapy should be carried out under the supervision of a doctor - therapist, pulmonologist, otolaryngologist, phthisiatrist.
Help with cough with phlegm
During an attack, the main type of help can be the acceleration of the removal of mucous secretions from the respiratory tract. In the laryngeal or bronchial cavity pathogenic microorganisms can accumulate, and they can be removed only with good expectoration. How quickly it will be possible to clear the respiratory tract from the secretions, so quickly the body will feel relief and begin to recover.
Simultaneously with the use of medicines prescribed by the doctor, the patient should drink a large amount of warm liquid to facilitate mucus evacuation. This will greatly improve the excretion of excreta and purification of the respiratory system. As drinking it is useful to use herbal teas based on lime flowers, dog rose, raspberry, currant, other medicinal plants.
If there is a mucous secret in the bronchi, then drugs that block the cough reflex should not be used. Such preparations include, for example, codeine, as well as all agents based on it.
You can give some advice to those who can not cope with the disease:
- monitor the humidity in the room (normal humidity should vary from 40 to 60%);
- if you smoke, drop it. Moreover, avoid smoky places;
- Avoid overcooling and sudden overheating, do not leave the hot room in frosty air;
- Avoid inhaling vapors of various chemical sprays, detergent-cleaners;
- Do not suppress the desire to clear your throat - so you clear the bronchi, making your condition easier.
Preventing cough with phlegm
The operation of the cough reflex is in most cases a symptom of the disease of the respiratory system, so its can be prevented if time to think about the prevention of respiratory diseases, such as bronchitis, SARS, acute respiratory disease, laryngitis, etc.
For prevention, factors that can provoke such diseases should be avoided: hypothermia, drafts, weakening of immunity, physical overload, stress, beriberi.
Avoid situations that can lead to irritation of the lungs: walk away from smoky, smoky, dusty and chemically treated rooms. Working with chemicals, lacquer-coloring substances can provoke the development of chronic respiratory damage. If being in such premises is inevitable, use appropriate protective measures - gauze dressings, respirators, etc.
If you are addicted to allergies or bronchial asthma, try to avoid provoking factors (contact with potential allergens).
Needless to say, smoking is one of the main factors in the appearance of chronic cough syndrome - very harmful for health in general. If you smoke, give up this habit. The rest can be advised to avoid places where people smoke. Passive smoking irritates the respiratory tract no less than smoking active.
A good preventive effect is provided by tempering the body. It is best to begin the procedure in the summer, when the body can easily tolerate temperature changes, and immunity in summer is considered more robust. Suitable for dousing with cool water, contrast showers, swimming in open water, air and sunbathing, outdoor sports. Winter hardening is better to do under the supervision of a specialist, because illiterate excessive cooling of the body can produce the opposite effect.
Prognosis of cough with phlegm
The prognosis directly depends only on the underlying disease, which triggered the cough reflex. If this symptom accompanies an acute viral or microbial infection of the respiratory system, then it is safely eliminated after the underlying disease has been cured.
If the cause of an attack is an allergy or the use of certain medications, then eliminating the allergen with substitution of drugs for others will help eliminate an unpleasant symptom.
A healthy lifestyle, adequate nutrition, lack of bad habits, active pastime can be the key to a favorable prognosis of respiratory diseases.
If the cough with phlegm is chronic, then getting rid of it will be more difficult - it can require complex complex treatment, often with the use of potent drugs and antibiotic therapy.
Green sputum when coughing
Green sputum when coughing speaks of an inflammatory process in the bronchi, trachea or lungs with the formation of mucopurulent or purulent exudate.
With intense inflammation, the exudate accumulates and gets into the secretions of the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract affected by the infection.
Causes of green sputum on coughing
The main causes of the appearance of green sputum when coughing are directly related to those diseases, the symptom of which is a productive (wet) cough. Such diseases are tracheobronchitis, acute bronchitis and exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, pneumonia, bronchopneumonia, bronchiectatic disease, post-pneumonia purulent pleurisy (empyema of the pleura), and abscess lung.
As experts note, if coughing leaves green sputum, it means that such gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria are involved in the development of these diseases, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus viridans, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, Escherichia coli, Proteus mirabilis, Klebsiella spp., Serratia marcescens and other
Bronchotracheitis infectious etiology develops from tracheitis amid a fairly high temperature, rhinitis, pharyngitis or laryngitis, when the inflammatory process descends from the upper respiratory tract in lower. If the cough is dry at the beginning of the disease, with bouts in the mornings, then on the 4th-5th day the cough becomes productive, and yellow-green sputum appears on coughing.
For acute bronchitis, as well as exacerbation of its chronic form is characterized by a strong cough, in which the patient coughs up the mucopurulent exudate of a viscous consistency of yellow or greenish color.
Among the clinical signs of bronchiectasis arising from damage to the walls of the bronchi and their enlargement, there is a green sputum when coughing, often with bloody inclusions and particles of dead epithelial tissues of the bronchi.
In most cases of pneumonia (pneumonia), the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae, which doctors call pneumococcus, is to blame. However, pneumonia can also be caused by viruses (mainly RS virus) and fungal infection (pneumomycosis, developing due to fungi of the genus Candida, Actinomyces, Histoplasma, etc.), and even parasites (pneumocystis pneumonia). But a cough of a greenish color can be with any etiology of pneumonia.
And with especially severe forms of pneumonia in their tissues, a pyogenic capsule can be formed - a cavity with purulent-necrotic contents. In this case, an abscess of the lung is diagnosed, which eventually breaks through to the bronchi, and then a green sputum with pus, which has a pronounced putrefactive smell, leaves behind the cough.
Who to contact?Pulmonologist General practitioner Family doctor
Diagnosis of green sputum when coughing
The exact cause of diseases of the respiratory system, which are accompanied by a cough with green sputum, is designed to establish diagnostics. Unfortunately, the presence of green sputum when coughing is not always subjected to a comprehensive study with the use of proven diagnostic techniques. This leads to the fact that the appointment of antibiotics does not take into account the causative agent of the inflammatory process, and, therefore, with the same symptom antibacterial drugs may not work and do not lead to a cure of the disease or slow the recovery to a great extent and cause complications.
To find out the true origin of cough, a more thorough examination is needed on the basis of:
- a general blood test;
- biochemical blood analysis;
- a blood test for eosinophils, mycoplasma, etc .;
- sowing sputum on the microflora;
- sputum smear microscopy;
- general analysis of urine;
- analysis of urine for antigens;
- koprologicheskogo research (analysis of feces);
- chest x-ray;
- spirometric study of respiratory rates;
- Ultrasound or CT of the chest.
Treatment of green sputum when coughing
Currently, in the clinical practice, the etiologic treatment of green sputum when coughing, or rather, diseases that have this symptom, is carried out with the help of antibiotics.
Appointment Ampicillin (synonyms - Ampexin, Domipen, Opicilin, Pentrexyl, Riomycin, Cimexillin, etc.): adults - 500 mg 4 times a day; The daily dosage for children is calculated at 100 mg per kilogram of body weight and divided into 6 receptions within 24 hours.
Amoxicillin (synonyms - Augmentin, Flemoxin) adults and children over 10 years old take after meals, d, three times a day, children 5-10 years old, 5 grams, children 2-5 years old, 25 g three times a day. The minimum course of treatment is 5 days.
In the treatment of green sputum during coughing in adults (with pneumonia), an effective fluoroquinolone antibiotic of the third generation Levofloxacin (Levoflocin, Tavanic, Tigeron, Flexin, etc.) in tablets: before meals twice a day, p, 5 g; duration of admission - 5 days.
Practiced a five-day course of treatment of streptococcal respiratory tract infections with the antibiotic Rovamycin (in tablets by, and 3 million. IU). Adults should take it for 3 million. IU three times during the day, children daily dose is calculated per kilogram of body weight - 150 thousand. IU per day - and is divided into three doses. Also used are Azithromycin (Sumamed) and Erythromycin. And Josamycin (Vilprafen) is especially effective in the inflammation of the respiratory tract, triggered by Peptococcus spp. or Peptostreptococcus spp. Doctors recommend taking the drug 500 mg three times a day.
With pneumonia of fungal etiology, treatment of green sputum with cough should be performed with antifungal antibiotics, for example, Amphoglucamine. The recommended use of this is 10 to 14 days: adults - 200-500 thousand. ED twice a day (after eating); children - depending on the age (25-200 thousand. ED. 2 times a day).
With drug therapy of viral bronchitis and pneumonia, antibiotics should be supplemented with antiviral agents (Remantadine, Acyclovir, Virazol, etc.), which the doctor appoints individually - depending on the specific pathogen disease.
Treatment of green sputum during cough: means for liquefaction and coughing up phlegm
A key principle that all physicians adhere to by prescribing the symptomatic treatment of green sputum cough - in any case not to suppress the cough reflex, but to promote the coughing up of the accumulated exudate.
Expectorants act by dilating the bronchioles, which facilitates the excretion of phlegm. Tablets Terpinhydrate (on, 5 and, d) are prescribed one tablet three times a day. Mukaltin (on the basis of althea medicinal) should be taken before meals by, 5 g intake 2-3 times (before meals). Lycorina hydrochloride - on, mg 3-4 times a day (about 30-45 minutes before meals). Narrow-anis drops should be taken with a cough in this dosage: adults - 10-15 drops 2-3 times a day; children - at the rate of one drop for each year of life. Finally, Pertussin, containing in its composition extract of thyme and potassium bromide, stimulates the physiological activity of the ciliated epithelium and peristalsis of bronchioles, due to which any, including green sputum when coughing, moves from the lower parts of the respiratory tract to the upper ones, and from there is output to the outside. Adults should take Perthussin on a tablespoon three times a day, children - on a tea or dessert spoon 2-3 times.
Mucolytic drugs make sputum less viscous, which greatly facilitates its removal from the respiratory tract. Recommended medics Bromhexine (Bronchostop, Solvin) is used by adults and children over 14 years of age at 8-16 mg 3-4 once a day; children 6-14 years - 8 mg three times a day, 2-6 years - 4 mg, children under 2 years - 2 mg 3 times a day. The course of treatment is 5 days.
Ambrohexal (other trade names - Ambroxol, Lazolvan, Bronhopron, Mukozan, Mukovent, Mucobroxol, etc.) increases the production of mucus in the respiratory tract. Adults drug is given one tablet 2-3 times a day (after a meal) or 10 ml of the drug in the form of a syrup - three times a day. Children older than 6-12 years, the recommended dose of syrup is 5 ml (2-3 times a day); children aged 2-5 years - on, ml; up to 2 years - on, ml twice a day.
Acetylcysteine (Acestin, ATSTS, Mukoneks and others. trade names) adults and children over 14 years of age are prescribed 200 mg 3 times a day; children 6-14 years old - 200 mg each twice a day; for children 2 to 5 years, the drug is recommended in the form of effervescent tablets ATSTS - 100 mg 2 times a day.
Also can be used for coughing with green sputum pharmacy plant charges, which include the root licorice or althea, herb-coltsfoot and oregano, blackberry flowers, plantain leaves of large, seeds anise. Preparing the medicinal broth is simple: a tablespoon of the mixture is poured into 250 ml of boiling water (or two tablespoons per half-liter of water) and a quarter of an hour under a lid on a water bath; then the broth should be cooled, drain and take half a cup twice a day (after meal).
Prevention of green sputum during coughing consists in the effective treatment of cough in any pathology of the respiratory tract, without bringing it to the state of sputum stagnation in the bronchi and lungs. The faster you get rid of phlegm, the more favorable will be the forecast of green sputum when coughing. So, acute bronchitis can be overcome in ten days, but with chronic it will have to be fought much longer - one and a half to two months, or even more.
Remember that inflammation in the airways can lead to purulent bronchitis, chronic pneumonia, bronchiectasis, lung abscess. In the latter case, according to pulmonologists, serious problems arise, for the solution of which you may need urgent surgical intervention.
Therefore, you should consult a doctor if you have a green sputum when you cough.
Causes of yellow sputum when coughing
Yellow sputum when coughing can manifest itself in those cases when a large amount of secretions accumulated in the lungs. Coughing is a natural attempt of the body to clear from excess. A similar mechanism can be called the same sneezing. That's why it's so important not to restrain yourself, but to cough well during the period of such attacks. But here it is important that the outgoing sputum spits out, and does not return back by swallowing.
Remembering the rules of propriety, during coughing, you should cover your mouth and not use your hand for such purposes, but always have a scarf or napkin with you. Firstly, this is the way cultural people behave, and secondly, the spread of infection is thus held back. In fact, cough is a reflex reaction that occurs in response to irritation of the respiratory tract and respiratory system. But if there is also sputum, then this can be evidence of an allergic, respiratory or infectious disease. It all depends on the nature of such secretions.
What is sputum?
Such a definition in medicine is a moist mucous discharge that forms on the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract and organs. Sputum may consist partly of saliva, which is mixed during the salivary glands, immune cells, various microorganisms, blood cells, dust, plasma and products that remain after disintegration cells. It should be noted that this mucus manifests itself only if the pathological process has begun in the body. Accordingly, if a person is healthy, then such a nuisance will not be bothered.
As already noted above, sputum may not only have a different color, but also a different consistency. There are a number of laboratory studies that can determine the cause of the onset of the disease precisely by analyzing the secretions. This helps the doctor to determine a number of therapeutic measures. By what percentage of this or that component in the sputum, you can judge not only the type of disease, but also about what stage it is. Attention is also paid to the extent to which the sputum is viscous.
As for the yellow secretions, they usually do not have a smell.But if an unpleasant smell begins to emanate from them, it is a direct sign that the cancer process or gangrene has started in the lungs. Therefore, the faster the treatment measures are taken, the better for the health of the patient. Since if you delay the decision of this issue, then the probability of surgical intervention will be very high.
How is yellow sputum examined?
As already noted above, in diseases that are accompanied by expectoration, the doctor necessarily takes a sample of sputum for analysis. Usually this procedure is carried out in the morning, while the patient has not yet eaten anything.
For maximum information, a specialist usually prescribes to his patient a bronchoscopy, which is carried out only under stationary conditions. With the help of this method, it is possible to assess the state of the bronchi and trachea. This procedure is performed using a bronchophoscope, which allows you to take a "clean" sample, that is, without mixing with saliva and other microorganisms that are in the oral cavity.
Yellow sputum may indicate such diseases as:
- Bronchitis. If the patient has bronchitis, the inflammatory process in the organs began as a result of a virus or harmful bacteria. This disease can go into a chronic form, especially after acute bronchitis. Also, such a danger awaits those who are long in a situation of severe pollution, for example, with a high concentration of dust or gas pollution.
- Sinusitis. As for sinusitis, this disease causes inflammatory processes in the paranasal sinuses. Such a situation can arise as a complication after the transferred infectious infections or if a person sustained a serious trauma associated with the person.
- Pneumonia. In this case, the disease develops against the background of infection in the lung tissue. This disease, if not taken in time, is fraught with a lethal outcome.
- Asthma. This pathology is more often congenital, it affects the respiratory tract and is provoked by different cellular elements.
To make a more accurate diagnosis, laboratory workers pay attention not only to color, but also to consistency, the presence of odor, the amount of secretions throughout the day, and so on.
Yellow sputum can still be not only a sign of a particular disease, but also an indication that a person has a decent smoking experience. This is due to the fact that cigarette smoke has gums that, during combustion, give a yellow color and color all surfaces that they contact. The same can be observed with the fingers of smokers: the nail plates often have a yellowish-brown hue.
Sputum of this nature is saturated with eosinophils, which, moreover, give such a color to secretions, so are also a direct sign of the presence of an infectious, allergic or chronic onset of the disease. A special cough deserves special attention, which begins without any apparent cause.
Therefore, if a person starts coughing and expectorating yellow sputum, he should immediately consult a doctor.
In this case, it is worth paying attention to the secretions themselves, because, in addition to color, they can contain purulent or bloody inclusions.
How to get rid of the problem?
First of all, it is necessary to undergo a series of examinations, on the basis of which the doctor will be able to determine the course of therapy. The fact is that every disease requires its own approach, and if it is an inflammation of the lungs, then treatment will have one direction, but if it is tuberculosis, then the question will be solved absolutely differently.
Among the general recommendations, it is indicated that the patient needs to rinse his mouth during this period. For this, antiseptic solutions are used, and after them the mouth is rinsed with ordinary boiled water. With regard to drug treatment, the patient is assigned:
- expectorant medications that help clear up the lungs of harmful accumulations;
- mucolytics, aimed at dissolving mucous formations;
- antibiotics that kill bacteria.
In fact, mucolytics act in such a way that the mucus remains in its quantity, but at the same time diluted and itself gradually comes out of the lungs. Specialists usually appoint "Ambroxol "Acetylcysteine "Bromhexine" and syrups based on licorice root. These drugs are good for bronchial asthma, bronchitis, cystic fibrosis and other similar diseases that are associated with the upper respiratory tract.
The main purpose of expectorants is to help remove mucus from the surface of the upper respiratory tract. Such drugs provoke a cough that the patient can not restrain. From this category, "Thermopsis "Trypsin" and sodium benzoate are popular.
In order for the healing process to proceed better, it is necessary to contribute to the expansion of the bronchi. This will help to pass the mucus to the exit easier and increase the permeability of the bronchi themselves. For such purposes, they write out for reception "Erespal "Stoptussin "Bromgeksin" and "Gedelix".
If sputum is yellow, then drugs with a narrower focus will be needed. These are the same antibiotics and antibacterial drugs..
It is very important to know that the treatment should be directed not at eliminating the symptoms, but at fighting the cause, which showed such signs. Therefore, it is advisable to seek help from a specialist who will prescribe a course of tests and, based on the results, will conduct a fight against the disease.
Mucus in case of cough - etiology of the diseaseMucus secreted by coughing can accumulate in the nasopharynx, bronchi or lungs. This happens for various reasons and is not always associated with respiratory diseases. Slime on cough irritates certain receptors and, speaking in simple nonmedical language, actively asks outside. It can be different in color and consistency, as well as in quantity. To come to the doctor for an appointment and say: "I'm coughing with mucus" is not enough. It should be explained when you have seizures, a dry or wet symptom they are accompanied, cause a rise in temperature and so on. In order to determine the etiology of phlegm, the specialist will prescribe laboratory tests.
Cough with mucus in a smoker
Inveterate smokers often note that they have yellow sputum when coughing. This happens most often in the morning. In this case, the attack does not stop until the person completely coughs. This is due to the constant irritation of the mucosa of the respiratory tract with resins and other harmful substances contained in nicotine products.
The tissues of the lungs and bronchuses of the smoker gradually undergo changes, which leads to chronic bronchitis and other more dangerous diseases. Among them, especially should be isolated lung cancer and emphysema, in which the smoker's cough also causes mucus from yellow to brownish hue.
When coughing mucus is released during bronchitis and pneumonia
If you have white or green mucus when you cough, and he himself is excruciating, debilitating and painful, a possible cause is pneumonia. This disease develops because of untreated colds and respiratory infections, and also as a result of severe hypothermia. The color of mucus in pneumonia can range from clear and white to green, periodically acquiring a brownish-yellow hue. Secret when pneumonia goes a lot. In this case, the mucus secretion during coughing is also accompanied by weakness, profuse sweating and a strong fever rise up to a fever.
Colorless white secretory fluid may indicate the presence of bronchitis. The bronchogenic disease most often develops after a flu or cold.
Cough with white and green mucus in pneumonia and bronchitis requires treatment with antibiotics, as well as expectorants. The latter are aimed at removing inflammation, diluting sputum and removing it from the lungs and bronchi.
Mucus in the throat and cough with laryngitis
Laryngitis is a disease in which the throat is inflamed. Cough with mucus in this disease is barking and paroxysmal. It can last a long time, causing attacks of suffocation. Laryngitis is most often accompanied by a laryngeal edema, in this case the patient is shown a course of hormonal drugs aimed at normalizing the mucosa.
During laryngitis, cough comes out in small amounts. It can be white or transparent.
Cough up white mucus when coughing, what's the reason?
Not always the cause of a cough with clear or white sputum are respiratory and broncho-pulmonary diseases. Sometimes this symptom indicates a prolonged contact with chemicals, fuel combustion products, epoxy resins and dust. It's about harmful production. Working on it, people often complain that when you cough, white mucus is coughing up. However, its color can be different depending on which substance irritates the respiratory system.
Such a cough, whose treatment should also be prescribed by a doctor, requires an advanced diagnosis, which includes not only laboratory, but also radiographic studies.
Tuberculosis as the cause of this symptomIf a mucus of yellow and green tinge or with blood impurities emits when coughing, then, it may be about tuberculosis. This is a dangerous disease caused by a stick of Koch. It is sown using special laboratory tests. At an early stage, tuberculosis affects only lung tissue. In addition to the above symptoms, it is accompanied by pain in the chest area. It is worth noting that this disease in the early stages is completely cured by taking strong antibacterial drugs.
The third and fourth stages of tuberculosis are not cured completely. However, in such a state the patient is successfully supported by drugs. The triggered disease is especially dangerous because in addition to the lung tissue affects the intestines, the organs of the digestive tract and joints.
Tuberculosis is transmitted by air-drop and by contact-household way. Prophylaxis of its development is regular clinical examination, during which it is necessary to undergo fluorography.
If these symptoms are observed in you for a long time, while the condition gradually worsens, be sure to consult a doctor. Remember that diseases are easier to prevent at an early stage through proper treatment.
When you cough, phlegm with bloodThe appearance of blood in the sputum can be associated with various human pathologies. Determine the exact cause of this condition can only a doctor. In any case, coughing with sputum and blood requires a visit to a specialist who will prescribe a course of diagnostic measures. Treatment of a cough with blood is prescribed by a doctor depending on the established cause of such a phenomenon.
Sputum with blood when coughing is a serious symptom
About the presence of blood in the sputum may speak veins of a reddish or rusty hue. Single such veins usually appear when a small vessel is ruptured in the lungs. In this case there is no threat to life and health. But the appearance of well-distinguishable blood in sputum when coughing is a serious sign that can testify about tuberculosis, tumor processes in the lungs, inflammations and other severe diseases.
Sometimes the presence of blood in the sputum is associated with a history of chronic bronchitis. However, this is incorrect, since this pathology can not lead to the appearance of such symptoms.
Causes of cough with phlegm and blood
Blood in sputum when coughing in most cases - a sign of damage to the respiratory system. Such a symptom can be accompanied by various serious pathologies that pose a threat to human life and health. Causes of coughing with phlegm and blood can be several, the main ones are as follows:
- Lungs' cancer. This disease in most cases is detected in people who have a coughing with blood for a long time. When tumor processes in the lungs in the sputum may appear scarlet blood veins. Other symptoms of this pathology are a significant decrease in weight, pain in the chest, shortness of breath, lack of oxygen, prolonged painful cough, severe night sweats and other. The most susceptible to this disease are people who smoke for a long time, as well as working in the production with constant air pollution, for example, in the cement industry.
- Bronchitis of acute form. With a strong cough in sputum, small single blood veins may appear. In addition, bronchitis is characterized by symptoms such as fever, weakness, severe cough with sputum, sometimes purulent, shortness of breath, and others.
- Abscesses of the lungs, which are the formation of lung cavities filled with purulent contents in the lung tissue. Usually an abscess develops in people with a weakened immune system. Signs of this disease are chest pains, fever, prolonged time, bouts of night sweats, general malaise, disturbance of normal sleep and appetite, and cough, in which a large amount of sputum is produced with the presence of pus and blood veins.
- Bronchoectatic disease. With this pathology, weakness, dyspnea, a rise in temperature is possible. It is accompanied by a prolonged frequent cough with the separation of purulent sputum with blood.
- Inflammation of the lungs, or pneumonia. Typical symptoms of the disease are chest pain, a significant increase in temperature, a strong dyspnea, a sharp recurrent cough, in which a large amount of sputum with a trace of fresh blood. The color of the sputum itself can be "rusty" because of the coagulated blood.
- Tuberculosis. It is manifested by a decrease in body weight, deterioration of appetite, a constant slight increase in temperature approximately up to 3, degrees, constant attacks of cough with sputum discharge, in which pus and veins may be present blood. The appearance of a large amount of fresh blood in sputum during coughing is an unfavorable diagnostic sign.
- Embolism of the pulmonary artery. With embolism, the lumen of the pulmonary artery ligates. To the development of this pathology more slopes people after surgical operations, such as treatment of thrombophlebitis of the veins of the legs. Signs of the disease becomes dyspnoea, suddenly there are severe pain in the space behind the sternum, a cough with blood occurs a few hours after the first symptoms.
- Damage and pathology of the development of the heart valves and other similar heart diseases. With such diseases, normal blood circulation is disrupted, which leads to stagnant phenomena in the lungs. Symptoms of heart pathologies are severe dyspnoea, which increases with physical activity, and cough with phlegm and traces of blood.
- Cystic fibrosis. This pathology is characterized by a change in the functioning of the glands and is transmitted by inheritance. Respiratory cystic fibrosis, accompanied by a defeat of the respiratory system, manifests itself with symptoms such as cough with separation of thick sputum, in which is pus and blood veins, often occurring colds, while the infection quickly descends to the lower respiratory system.
- External factors. Coughing up with the blood can occur after some diagnostic measures, for example, biopsy, bronchoscopy, operations on the organs of the chest. There may be traces of blood in the sputum after taking certain medications.
- Pathology of the digestive system. This is a rare case when vomiting with blood or bleeding in the area of the esophagus, stomach or upper intestine is taken for the isolation of blood from the lungs. With diseases of the digestive tract, blood comes out, as a rule, in the form of clots, in large numbers, and its color is dark red.
Diagnosis of cough with blood sputum
Blood in sputum when coughing often indicates serious pathology, so in such cases, you should consult a doctor. For diagnostic purposes, the following measures can be taken:
- Bronchoscopy. With her help, you can identify bronchiectasis, lung tumors and other pathologies. This examination consists in examining the bronchi to determine changes in their walls, narrowing of the lumen and other injuries.
- Radiography of the chest. At its carrying out it is possible to estimate a condition of heart and lungs. Darkening in the lung area suggests the presence of embolism of the lung arteries, cancer or inflammatory processes.
- CT scan. This type of examination in detail shows the nature of changes in the tissues of the lungs. With its help it is possible to diagnose tuberculosis, lung cancer, bronchiectasis, abscess and other pathologies.
- Sputum analysis. Identifies the presence and number of pathogens in the bronchi, such as Koch sticks causing tuberculosis. In addition, sputum examination helps to detect pneumonia, abscess and other diseases.
- Analysis of sweat. With its help, there is a violation in the body of chlorine metabolism, characteristic of cystic fibrosis.
- General blood analysis. This examination shows the presence of inflammatory processes in the body.
- Coagulogram, it is a study of blood coagulability.
- ECG. It is carried out on suspicion that the cause of a cough with bloody sputum is heart disease.
- FEGDS. With it, the upper organs of the digestive system are examined. Such a study is necessary to exclude the pathology of the digestive system.
Cough with blood in sputum
In any case, if signs of blood are found in the sputum, it is necessary to consult a doctor for diagnosis. The specialist, after conducting the required studies, will be able to prescribe cough treatment with sputum and blood, aimed primarily at getting rid of the underlying disease. If more than a year has passed since the last radiographic examination of the lungs, then it is necessary to pass this study.
Urgently seek medical help should be in the following cases:
- the patient has a strong cough with abundant sputum and blood and liquid and clots;
- Coughing up with blood appears suddenly and is accompanied by a feeling of suffocation and pain in the chest;
- Coughing up with blood occurs after a fall or injury.
Immediately need to go to the doctor when:
- sputum discharge with blood arising suddenly, without a preliminary cold and a prolonged cough;
- blood veins in sputum when coughing periodically appear for a long time;
- blood is released when the person who smokes has a cough.
Medical treatment for all diseases accompanied by a cough with phlegm and blood, the doctor appoints. The following groups of drugs can be included in the treatment course:
- liquefying phlegm;
A strong cough and sputum with blood
With a strong cough and sputum with blood caused by infectious diseases of the respiratory organs, expectorants and thinners are usually prescribed. Representatives of this group are licorice root, pork collection, ATSTS, Lazolvan and others. For the same purpose, inhalations with medicinal plants can be used.
For the removal of spasms of the bronchi, salbutamol, its derivatives and analogues are used. Among other things, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and other agents are prescribed if necessary.
In cases of severe bleeding, when sputum is colored red, surgical intervention is often required. This condition indicates severe bronchial injuries.
Temperature, cough, sputum with blood
High fever, sputum with blood and cough, and shortness of breath and chest pain are all typical symptoms of influenza pneumonia. Such a disease develops, about a week after the onset of the flu. The nature of the inflammation, as a rule, is mixed bacterial-viral. The temperature can rise to 40 degrees or higher, signs of intoxication, shortness of breath, severe pain in the chest, attacks of painful coughing with sputum discharge with blood and pus are noted. If you suspect a disease, you should always contact a specialist. Otherwise, it is possible to develop complications such as pulmonary edema, acute heart failure, tracheobronchitis of the ulcerous-hemorrhagic type, abscesses. The consequence of such pathologies can become serious harm to health, and even the death of the patient.