Chronic tonsillitis - symptoms, treatment, causes, complications
Chronic tonsillitis is a condition of palatine tonsils, in which, against the background of a decrease in local natural protective functions, their inflammation periodically occurs. Therefore tonsils (tonsils) become a constant focus of infection, with chronic allergization and intoxication of the body. Symptoms of chronic tonsillitis are clearly manifested during periods of relapse, when during an exacerbation increases body temperature, lymph nodes increase, pain appears, sore throat, pain when swallowing, unpleasant odor from mouth.
Against the background of reduced immunity and in the presence of a chronic foci of infection, patients with tonsillitis chronic form in the future may suffer from such diseases as rheumatism, pyelonephritis, adnexitis (see Fig. inflammation of the appendages of the uterus - symptoms and treatment), prostatitis, etc. Chronic tonsillitis, sinusitis, sinusitis are social diseases of a modern inhabitant of a megalopolis, because the unfavorable ecological situation in cities, monotonous chemical nutrition, stress, overwork, an abundance of aggressive, negative information has a very negative effect on the state of the immune system of the population.
Why does chronic tonsillitis occur?
The main function of palatine tonsils as well as other lymphoid tissues in the human pharynx is to protect the body from pathogenic microorganisms that enter the nasopharynx with food, air, water. These tissues produce such protective substances as interferon, lymphocytes, gamma globulin. In the normal state of the immune system on the mucosa and in the depth of the tonsils, lacunae and crypts are always present both non-pathogenic and opportunistic microflora, in correct, natural concentrations, without causing inflammatory processes.
As soon as there is an intensive growth of bacteria coming from outside or present conditionally pathogenic bacteria, Palatine tonsils destroy and remove the infection, leading to the normalization of the condition - and all this happens unnoticed for rights. If the balance of microflora is disturbed for various reasons, described below, the sharp growth of bacteria can cause angina - acute inflammation, which can occur as a lacunar sore throat or follicular angina.
If such inflammations become protracted, often recur and poorly treatable, the process of resistance to infection in the tonsils weakens, they do not cope with their functions of protection, lose the ability to self-purification and themselves are the source of infection, then develops a chronic form - tonsillitis. In rare cases, approximately 3%, tonsillitis can develop without a preliminary acute process, that is, its occurrence is not preceded by angina.
In tonsils of patients with chronic tonsillitis, bacterial analysis reveals almost 30 pathogenic bacteria, but in lacunae the most numerous are streptococci and staphylococci.
It is very important, before the start of therapy, to take an analysis for the bacterial flora with the establishment of sensitivity to antibiotics, since pathogenic microorganisms are very diverse and each of them can be resistant to certain antibacterial means. When prescribing antibiotics at random, with the resistance of bacteria, treatment will be ineffective or completely ineffective, which will lead to an increase in the period of recovery and the transition of angina to chronic tonsillitis.
Diseases that provoke the development of chronic tonsillitis:
- Violation of nasal breathing with polyps (polyps in the nose, treatment), adenoids (treatment of adenoids in children), purulent sinusitis, sinusitis (treatment of sinusitis with antibiotics), curvature of the nasal septum, as well as dental caries - can provoke inflammation of the palatines tonsils
- Reduction of local and general immunity in infectious diseases - measles (see. symptoms of measles in adults), scarlet fever, tuberculosis, etc., especially in case of severe leakage, inadequate treatment, incorrectly selected medications for therapy.
- Hereditary predisposition - if in a family history there is chronic tonsillitis in close relatives.
Adverse factors provoking exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis:
- Low amount of liquid consumed per day. A person should drink at least 2 liters of liquid per day, as well as low water quality, consumed daily (use only purified water for cooking, special filters for water)
- Severe or prolonged hypothermia of the body
- Strong stressful situations, constant psycho-emotional overstrain, lack of adequate sleep and rest, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome
- Work on harmful production, dustiness, gas contamination of premises in the workplace
- The general adverse environmental situation in the place of residence - industrial enterprises, the abundance of vehicles, chemical production, increased radioactive background, abundance in the residential premises of household goods of poor quality, emitting harmful substances into the air - cheap household appliances, carpets and furniture produced from toxic materials, the active use of household chemicals (chlorine-containing products, washing powders and detergents with a high concentration of surfactants and etc.)
- Alcohol abuse and smoking
- Inadequate nutrition, an abundance of carbohydrates and proteins, limited consumption of cereals, vegetables, fruits.
When the process begins to acquire a chronic form in the tonsils, the lymphoid tissue from the tender gradually becomes denser, replacing the connective tissue, there are scars that cover the lacunae. This leads to the appearance of lacunar plugs - closed purulent foci, in which particles accumulate food, tobacco tar, pus, microbes, both living and dead, necrotic epithelial cells of the mucosa lacunae.
In closed lacunae, figuratively speaking, pockets where pus accumulates, very favorable conditions are created for the preservation and reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms, toxic products of vital activity of which with a current of blood are carried throughout the body, affecting almost all internal organs, leading to chronic intoxication organism. This process is slow, the overall work of immune mechanisms is lost and the body can begin to respond inadequately to a constant infection, causing allergies. And the bacteria themselves (streptococcus) cause severe complications.
Symptoms and complications of tonsillitis
Chronic tonsillitis in the nature and severity of inflammation is divided into several types:
- Simple recurrent form, when often there are tonsillitis
- A simple lingering form is a prolonged sluggish inflammation in the palatine tonsils
- A simple compensated form, that is, relapses of tonsillitis and episodes of angina occur rarely
- Toxico-allergic form, which is 2 types
With a simple form of chronic tonsillitis, symptoms are meager, limited only by local signs - pus in lacunae, purulent plugs, swelling of the edges of the arch, lymph nodes increase, there is a foreign body sensation, discomfort when swallowing, dry mouth, smell from the mouth mouth. During periods of remission, symptoms are absent, and during exacerbations up to 3 times a year there are tonsillitis, which accompanied by fever, headache, general malaise, weakness, prolonged period recovery.
1 toxic-allergic form - in addition to local inflammatory reactions to symptoms of tonsillitis, general signs of intoxication and allergization of the body - increased body temperature, heart pain with normal ECG, joint pain, increased fatigue. The patient is more likely to suffer from influenza, Orvi, recovery after illness is prolonged.
2 Toxico-allergic form - with this form of the disease, tonsils become a constant source of infection, and the risk of spreading it throughout the body is high. Therefore, in addition to the above symptoms occur violations in the joints, liver, kidneys, functional disorders of the heart, detected ECG, heart rhythm is disturbed, acquired heart defects may develop, rheumatism, arthritis, urinary-genital diseases sphere. A person is constantly experiencing weakness, fatigue, subfebrile temperature.
Conservative local treatment of chronic tonsillitis
Treatment of chronic tonsillitis can be surgical and conservative. Naturally, surgical intervention is an extreme measure that can irreparably damage immunity and protective functions of the body. Surgical removal of tonsils is possible in the case when with prolonged inflammation the lymphoid tissue is replaced by a connective tissue. And in cases when a parathonsillar abscess occurs in the toxic-allergic form 2, an autopsy is shown.
Indications for the removal of tonsils:
- Increased tonsils interfere with normal nasal breathing or swallowing.
- More than 4 sore throats a year
- Peritonsillar abscess
- Koneservativnaya therapy without effect more than a year
- There was an episode of acute rheumatic fever or there is a chronic rheumatic fever, kidney complications
Palatine tonsils play an important role in creating an infectious barrier and inhibit the inflammatory process, are one of the components of support and local and general immunity. Therefore, the otolaryngologists try to preserve them without resorting to surgery, try to restore the functions of the tonsils by various methods and procedures.
Conservative treatment of exacerbation of a chronic process should be performed in the Lor center, a qualified specialist who will prescribe comprehensive adequate therapy depending on the form and stage of the disease. Modern methods of treatment of tonsillitis are conducted in several stages:
- Rinsing lacunae
There are 2 ways to wash the lacunae of the tonsils - one using a syringe, the other using the Tonsilor attachment. The first method is now considered obsolete, since it is not sufficiently effective, the pressure created by the syringe, is not sufficient for thorough washing, and the procedure is traumatic and contact, often causes a vomitive reflex in patients. The greatest effect is achieved if the doctor uses the nozzle "Tonzilor". It is used both for washing and for the administration of medicinal solutions. First, the doctor makes the lacunae washed with an antiseptic solution, while he clearly sees that it is washed out of the tonsils.
- Ultrasonic medicinal irrigation, treatment with Lugol
After cleaning from the pathological secret, you should change the tip to an ultrasound, which due to ultrasound the effect of cavitation creates a drug suspension and with effort delivers the drug solution to the submucosal layer of palatines tonsils. As a medicine, 1% Miramistin solution is usually used, this remedy is an antiseptic that does not lose its properties under the influence of ultrasound. Then, after this procedure, the doctor can treat the tonsils with Lugol's solution (see Fig. Lugol with angina).
- Therapeutic laser
The laser therapy session also has a good effect, reduces swelling and inflammation of the tissues and mucosa of the palatine tonsils. To achieve better results, the source of laser radiation is placed in the oral cavity closer to the tonsils and the posterior pharyngeal wall.
- Sessions of vibroacoustic impact, UV
Such sessions are made to normalize microcirculation, improve nutrition in the tissues of the tonsils. UV - ultraviolet irradiation is carried out for the sanation of microflora, this old time-tested method has not lost its relevance and is considered quite effective.
All described methods should be conducted in courses, the number and multiplicity of which are determined individually in each specific clinical case. To achieve maximum effect, 5 to 10 rinsing procedures are required until clean wash water appears. This course of treatment is able to restore the ability of the tonsils to self-purification and the period of remission is significantly prolonged, relapses become less frequent.
To avoid the removal of palatine tonsils and treatment led to a persistent result, such effective treatment is desirable. to spend 2-4 times a year and independently to conduct supportive preventive treatment at home, gargle (see. all solutions for gargling with angina).
Recent studies of scientists lead to the conclusion that in chronic sinusitis, sinusitis, tonsillitis, an important role is played by imbalance of microflora mucous nasopharynx and conditionally pathogenic microorganisms begin to multiply with an insufficient amount of useful flora that inhibits the growth of pathogenic bacteria. (cm. The causes of sinusitis are in the sinus dysbiosis)
One of the options for preventive and maintenance treatment of tonsillitis can be gargling with drugs containing live cultures of acidophilic lactic acid bacteria - Narine (liquid concentrate 150 rubles), Trilact (1000 rubles), Normoflorin (160-200 rub). This normalizes the balance of the microflora of the nasopharynx, contributes to a more natural recovery and a longer remission.
Medication effective treatment
Only after establishing an accurate diagnosis, clinical picture, degree and form of chronic tonsillitis the doctor determines the tactics of managing the patient, prescribes a course of drug therapy and local procedures. Drug therapy is the use of the following types of drugs:
- Antibiotics for tonsillitis
This doctor prescribes this group of drugs only with an exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis, antibiotic treatment should preferably be carried out on the basis of bacterial culture data. Appointment of drugs blindly may not lead to the desired effect, loss of time and deterioration of the condition. Depending on the severity of the inflammatory process, the doctor can prescribe antibiotics for angina as a short course the most light and safe means, and a longer course with stronger drugs that require probiotics (see also Sumamed in angina). In the latent course of tonsillitis, treatment with antimicrobials is not indicated, since this additionally disrupts the microflora and the gastrointestinal tract and the oral cavity, and also suppresses the immune system. 11 rules how to take antibiotics correctly).
With the appointment of aggressive antibiotics of a wide spectrum of action, as well as with concomitant diseases of the digestive tract (gastritis, colitis, reflux, etc.) with the initiation of therapy should take probiotic drugs that are resistant to the action of antibiotics - Acipol, Rela Life, Narine, Primadofilus, Gastrofarm, Normoflorin (cm. the entire list of probiotics-BAA and Linex analogs)
In severe pain syndrome, the most optimal is Ibuprofen or Nurofen, they are used as symptomatic therapy and with minor pain their use is not advisable (see. complete list and prices of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs in the article Stabbed back pain).
To reduce edema of the mucosa, edema of the tonsils, the posterior pharyngeal wall, it is necessary to take desensibilizing preparations, as well as to more effectively absorb other medicines. Among this group is better to use the drugs of the last generation, they have a longer, prolonged action, do not have a sedative effect, stronger and safer. Among the antihistamines, the best ones are Tetrin, Parlazin, Zirtek, Letizen, Zodak, as well as Telfast, Feksadin, and Fexophast (cf. List of all medicines for allergies). In the case when a patient with a prolonged reception is well helped by one of these drugs, you should not change it to another.
- Antiseptic topical treatment
An important condition for effective treatment is gargling, for this you can use various solutions as ready-made sprays, and dilute special solutions yourself. It is most convenient to use Miramistin (250 rubles), which is sold with a nebulizer, 1% solution, Octenisept (230-370 rubles), which is diluted with water 1/5, as well as Dioxydin (1% rp 200 rubles 10 ampoules), 1 amp. diluted in 100 ml of warm water (see. list of all sprays for the throat). Aromatherapy can also have a positive effect if you make a gargle or inhalation of essential oils - lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus, cedar.
- Immunostimulatory therapy
Among the drugs that can be used to stimulate local immunity in the oral cavity, perhaps, only Imudon is indicated for use, the course of therapy is 10 days (resorptive tablets. 4 r / day). Among natural products for raising the immunity you can use Propolis, Pantocrinum, ginseng, chamomile.
- Homeopathic treatment and folk remedies
Experienced homeopath can choose the best homeopathic treatment and if you follow his recommendations, it is possible to extend the remission as much as possible after the acute inflammatory process has been removed by traditional methods therapy. And to rinse your throat, you can use the following medicinal plants: turn, sage, chamomile, eucalyptus leaves, willow buds, Icelandic moss, aspen bark, poplar, as well as the roots of the bloodlet, elecampane, ginger.
- Mitigating agents
From the inflammatory process and the intake of certain medicines there is dryness in the mouth, pershenia, sagging in the throat, in which case very it is effective and safe to use apricot, peach, sea buckthorn oil, taking into account the individual tolerability of these products (absence allergic reactions). To properly soften the nasopharynx, you should dig in any of these oils in the nose a few drops in the morning and in the evening, when burying the head should be thrown back. Another way to soften the throat is 3% hydrogen peroxide, that is, 9% and 6% solution should be diluted and gargled for as long as possible, then rinse the throat with warm water.
Diet therapy is an integral part of successful treatment, any hard, hard, spicy, fried, sour, salty, smoked food, very cold or hot food, saturated with taste enhancers and artificial additives, alcohol - significantly worsens the condition patient.
Treatment of chronic tonsillitis
Angina or tonsillitis is a common throat disease, in which lymphoid tissues stop protecting the body from infections, becoming their own hotbed. If there is no treatment for the disease, complications arise: rheumatism, arthritis, pyelonephritis, liver, lung disease. Angina negatively affects the cardiovascular, digestive and endocrine system. It is dangerous chronic tonsillitis in pregnancy.
How to treat chronic tonsillitis
Folk methods help suppress the cause of tonsillitis, clean the tonsils from inflammatory exudates and plugs. In the treatment, you can not do without gargling, but antibiotics are shown only in severe cases. The question of homeopathy is open: some doctors prescribe drugs from tonsillitis with an easy stroke of the pen, others refer to evidence-based medicine, speaking about the effect of placebo.
Treating tonsillitis with folk remedies is an effective and cheap method of bacterial therapy. Here are the recipes:
- Infusion of cloves. Pour in a thermos 10 colors of a carnation and, l of boiled water. Leave for 3 hours, then pour into another place. Apply orally three times a day for half a cup, as a treatment for tonsillitis, or rinse your throat. Suitable for adults and children.
- Healing herbs. Flowers of chamomile, calendula, violets, lindens and St. John's wort, pine buds, as well as eucalyptus leaves - proven natural antiseptics in the treatment of tonsillitis, are applied by collection and separately. A tablespoon of a "green" medicine pour 1 tbsp. water, boil for 5 minutes and leave overnight. Apply inside 2 tbsp. spoons.
- "The King of Spices." Mix the chopped garlic head with 2 h. spoons of unfiltered vegetable oil, close tightly. After 5 days strain, add 1 hour. l. lemon juice - a miracle cure for the treatment of tonsillitis is ready! Use in the morning and at night for 10 drops.
- Propolis. How to treat tonsillitis in adults: mix the ground bee glue with alcohol in equal proportions, clean for a week in a dark place. Apply tincture 3 times a day on a dessert spoon, washing down with warm water. Spend three courses in 2 weeks with a break for 7 days. Treatment of tonsillitis in children: Propolis dissolved in a water bath in equal quantities with butter, add 2 tablespoons. l. honey. To dissolve for 1 hour. l. "Sweets" three times a day. Store in the cold.
The fight with tonsillitis begins with a gargling of the throat. "Old man" furatsilin and sea salt will relieve tonsils from pus. This will be a preparation for the further treatment of chronic tonsillitis. Another "antique" drug - the solution of "Lugol" is popular. Local antibacterial preparations Bioparox and Hexoral are often prescribed. Antibiotics of systemic action are prescribed only in the acute stage of tonsillopharyngitis.
Inhalation of medicinal substances is an additional therapy for chronic tonsillitis. They remove inflammation of the tonsils of decoctions of antiseptic plants, medicinal solutions. However, inhalations are ineffective in the treatment of decompensated tonsillitis in the catarrhal form of the disease, contraindicated at high temperature, general intoxication.
Removal of tonsils in chronic tonsillitis
In Soviet medicine, the removal of palatine tonsils was an ordinary operation. In the US, this method is generally put on stream, all the time removing the children "unnecessary" body. After such experiments, serious diseases began to occur in place of tonsillitis, so now tonsillectomy is performed when conservative treatment does not help.
Treatment with ENT surgery:
- The classic operation is awful to look at, but still a popular way of treating tonsillitis: palatine tonsils completely cut out or pulled out under general anesthesia.
- Using a microdetector - soft tissue is cut and ground using a rotating tool. Pain syndrome is not so pronounced, but more time and narcosis takes place to "grind" the tonsils.
- Laser tonsillectomy - allows you to excise only the affected areas of the tonsils, solder the blood vessels, preventing excessive blood loss. The healing period is not fast.
- Electrocoagulation is an operation using electric current, it does not cause pain and bleeding.
- Coblation is an operation for excising tonsils. The device converts the energy of electricity into a plasma stream, through which proteins break down into water, carbon dioxide, nitrogen-containing substances.
- Cryodestruction - freezing and tearing of tonsils with the help of liquid nitrogen. The postoperative period is painful, requiring enhanced antiseptic care.
- The ultrasonic scalpel is the application of high frequency oscillations that heat the tonsils to 80 ° C, cutting them.
Modern methods of treatment of chronic tonsillitis
Cauterization of tonsils - sparing surgery. This is an intermediate method between conservative therapy and complete removal of lymphoid tissue. With neglected tonsillitis, when antibiotics are powerless, freezing or exposure to the laser is considered optimal, because they not only keep the sick tonsils, but also "turn them into healthy ones."
Treatment of tonsils with a laser allows you to remove inflammation directly in the affected area, and the process of recovery makes it almost lightning, for two to three days. In addition, laser irradiation is used for the conservative treatment of tonsillitis as a physiotherapy procedure. In this case, the course of therapy is 10 sessions.
Cryotherapy - the therapeutic effect of cold on the human body, is divided into general and local: the second causes local effects, without affecting the central nervous system. When exposed to tonsils, painful tissues are destroyed, torn away, they are cleaned, starting to work at full strength. This physiotherapeutic procedure is suitable for babies starting from the age of three.
Prophylaxis of chronic tonsillitis
"Anginishers" often ask the question: "How to cure chronic tonsillitis once and for all?" In time, the initiated therapy of children will help not only to avoid tonsillectomy, but also completely get rid of the disease. Adults have a chance to bring the disease into deep remission. For this you need:
- Once a half a year, go through a course of treatment of tonsillitis with medicines.
- To spend a vacation in the "right" places: the sun with the sea will do what is beyond the power of the most modern drugs.
- Limit salt and fried foods, spices, citrus, alcohol, exclude hard, very cold or hot food.
- To pay attention to psychosomatics - "body protest" in cases with chronic tonsillitis in a child speaks about the hyperope of parents and "swallowed" offenses. In adults, there is constant stress.
Video: treatment of tonsillitis in children
This name was heard by all the responsible parents: the popularity of the doctor is inferior, perhaps, only to the fictitious character of Korney Chukovsky, Aibolit, and to a very real colleague - Professor Roshal... In his program, Dr. Komarovsky tells how to treat chronic tonsillitis, explains the causes of angina development, calls indications for removing glands.
Feedback on treatment
Marina, 37 years old: At me now all signs h / t, in general the exacerbation of a chronic tonsillitis occurs or happens in general. Somehow I thought lightly of him: it hurts my throat and hurts, rinsed with an antiseptic - I forgot. I could not think that there were such serious consequences. I will definitely treat my throat!
Elena, 24: I do not understand how you can score on a sore throat? It's a nasty smell from the mouth, the person is contagious. I treat chronic tonsillitis at home: every three months I rinse my throat with a solution of furacilin (2 tablets per glass of hot water, the course - 10 days).
Anton Sergeevich, 54 years old: As a child, the son was suffering from chronic tonsillitis - he was sent to remove tonsils. But before the operation, they went to another doctor who prescribed treatment: vacuum flushing of the lacunae of the tonsils with "Tonzillorom massage with phonophoresis, rinsing - once every six months. And compulsory trips to the sea. For about 10 years, my throat was not sore! But they could cut out the amygdala!
Tonsillitis: Definition, Symptoms and Signs of Disease
- Bacterial tonsillitis
- Viral tonsillitis
The term "tonsillitis" refers to the infection of the palatine tonsils.
Your tonsils are small, oval-shaped tissues located on either side of the back of the throat.
They are part of the immune system and help protect the rest of the body from microorganisms that enter the mouth.
But sometimes viruses or bacteria attack the tonsils themselves. If this happens, you will feel sick for a few days.
Sometimes the infection penetrates beyond the tonsils, causing sinus, rhinitis, bronchitis and other diseases.
Many different bacteria and viruses can lead to tonsillitis.
In addition, you can easily get infected from sick people. Therefore, the answer to the question "is contagious is tonsillitis" is affirmative.
- Bacteria that most often cause tonsillitis are called streptococci. These bacteria can also cause sore throat without affecting the tonsils.
- Without special tests, it is impossible to say what causes the disease, bacteria or viruses. Symptoms are the same.
TreatmentSurgical Antibiotics Drugs In Pregnancy In Children Folk Remedies
If you have one episode of tonsillitis, doctors call it acute tonsillitis. But if you regularly (five or more times per year) are sick with tonsillitis, this is a sign of chronic tonsillitis.
Symptoms of chronic tonsillitis occur in children more often than in adults. Girls can suffer from his relapses more often than boys.
Symptoms and signs of tonsillitis
Symptoms of tonsillitis include:
- persistent sore throat;
- redness of the glands and throat;
- difficulty of feeding (children);
- pain when swallowing;
- redness of the eyes;
- headache, dizziness, weakness;
- pain in the abdomen (due to swelling of the lymph nodes in the abdominal cavity);
- increased cervical lymph nodes;
- white patches on the tonsils;
- pain in the ear (from nerves that are in the back of the throat and go to the ear).
Less common signs of tonsillitis:
- "Fluffy" language (with a touch),
- "Rotten" smell from the mouth;
- problems with opening the mouth.
Bacterial, viral and purulent tonsillitis: causes
How does bacterial tonsillitis occur?
Bacterial tonsillitis (photo above) can be caused by a variety of different bacteria, but most often its cause is group A streptococcus bacteria. Tonsillitis can be acute and chronic.
In the past, severe bacterial infections, such as diphtheria and rheumatic fever, were the trigger for the onset of the disease. Fortunately, these days this happens very rarely due to vaccination and improved treatment of these diseases.
- Tonsillitis is transmitted in the same way as a cold and flu. It is contained in millions of tiny droplets, which when coughing or sneezing "come out" of the nose and mouth of the infected person. Other people inhale these drops and become infected.
- You can get bacterial tonsillitis by touching the place where such a drop landed, and then touching your face.
How does viral tonsillitis occur?
Microorganisms that cause viral tonsillitis include:
- rhinoviruses - viruses that cause colds;
- influenza virus;
- parainfluenza virus - causing laryngitis and croup;
- enteroviruses - cause diseases of the hands, feet and mouth;
- Adenovirus is a common cause of diarrhea;
- measles virus.
It is important to know
In rare cases, viral tonsillitis can be caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, which causes inflammation of the glands. If so, the patient will probably feel very bad. During the medical examination, enlarged lymph nodes along the entire body and enlarged spleen will be revealed.
How does purulent tonsillitis occur?
Acute purulent tonsillitis is an acute non-specific inflammation of the palatine tonsils, often accompanied by pharyngitis. It is more common in children and adults under the age of 20 years. This disease requires compulsory treatment.
The main causes of purulent tonsillitis are:
- beta-hemolytic streptococcus;
- a stick of influenza.
Pathogens are usually hidden in the tonsils and are activated when the human immunity is weakened by fatigue, cold or other causes. Then the pathogens quickly multiply and cause the disease.
Symptoms of purulent tonsillitis:
- basically - a sore throat;
- pain when swallowing, often with irradiation in the ear;
- visible edema of the tonsils;
- visually visible spots of pus.
This condition can often lead to an abscess of palatine tonsils.
Treatment of tonsillitis: bacterial tonsillitis and antibioticsAntibiotics are used in the case of bacterial tonsillitis, whose treatment with their help is usually successful. But with viral illness, treatment with such drugs is useless.
The antibiotics of the penicillin group are most often prescribed. People who are allergic to penicillin can be treated with erythromycin. Reviews about erythromycin are pretty good, but you should not self-medicate. This drug should be taken only as directed by a doctor.
Treatment with oral antibiotics in duration takes 10 to 14 days.
- Drugs containing antibiotics can be prescribed if the symptoms of tonsillitis become worse with time or the patient has a high temperature for a long time.
- Studies have shown that treatment with antibiotics from tonsillitis can reduce the time of illness by about a day.
- They also reduce the risk of complications, such as rheumatism, although complications in the treatment of viral and bacterial tonsillitis are rare in any case.
- Diarrhea, skin rash or indigestion - frequent, but minor side effects of admission.
How to treat bacterial tonsillitis in addition to antibiotics
Home treatmentTreatment at home Folk remedies Rinse throat Inhalation Diet Propolis Chlorophyllipt Massage of tonsils Sea-buckthorn oil CollectionNo.37 Lugol
In addition to taking antibiotics, patients who want to know how to treat bacterial tonsillitis should provide their body with adequate sleep.
- Patients should respond promptly to weather changes to maintain normal indoor humidity and prevent the body from subcooling.
- Exercises that improve the body's ability to fight the disease are very useful in tonsillitis. But the degree of physical activity should be adjusted by the attending physician or the physiotherapist. Overstrain in tonsillitis is not the best help and so to the suffering organism.
- Refrain from smoking during illness.
- How to treat bacterial tonsillitis quickly and easily? Drink plenty of liquids (not alcohol) and eat semi-liquid foods at room temperature. Hot water or tea can temporarily increase unpleasant sensations in the throat.
- Try to eat and drink regularly, even if your throat hurts. Hungry and dehydrated people experience symptoms such as headache and fatigue.
Viral tonsillitis and its treatment
If tonsillitis is caused by a virus, it is likely that the immune system will cope with it for several days.
At the same time, there are a number of things that you can do to help yourself or your child while treating viral tonsillitis.
- With the help of paracetamol or ibuprofen, symptoms such as pain and fever can be alleviated. When taking medication, do not disregard the instructions on the package. Otherwise, you can incorrectly calculate the dose, then the remedy will not work or will have a strong side effect.
- Patients with indigestion, stomach ulcers, kidney disease or asthma should not take ibuprofen.
- If you are pregnant, give up ibuprofen and take only paracetamol in accordance with the instructions of a gynecologist or midwife.
- Children under the age of 16 should not take aspirin.
- Means such as lozenges and sprays (for example, Miramistin Spray) are often used in the treatment of viral tonsillitis, as gently soothe the unpleasant sensations in the throat.
- Some people believe that gargling with a soft antiseptic solution can help alleviate sore throat, although there are no serious clinical studies regarding the effectiveness of the solution.
Than and how to treat tonsillitis in adults and childrenIf you have repeated attacks of tonsillitis or it interferes with daily life, the doctor can suggest the removal of tonsils.
This will be done during an operation known as tonsillectomy.
Most often it is carried out in case of tonsillitis in children.
Many doctors believe that than to treat tonsillitis regularly, it is better to get rid of it once and for all.
- Removal of the tonsils is carried out under general anesthesia, you will sleep during the procedure.
- Your mouth will remain open so that the surgeon can see your tonsils.
- The surgeon will use a special scissors to remove the tonsils and then apply the soluble sutures to the wound.
PreparationsMiramistin Dioxydin Bioparox
Than to treat a tonsillitis radically? Tonsillectomy is the answer to this question. This operation can be carried out in several ways:
- With the help of surgical instruments. This is the most common method, in which a surgical blade is used to remove tonsils.
- Diathermy. In this case, a probe is used that creates heat from the electric current to destroy tissue around the tonsils and remove the tonsils themselves. At the same time, heat seals the blood vessels and stops bleeding.
- "Cold" ablation. The method operates on the same principle as the previous one, but uses a lower temperature (60 ° C). It is considered less painful than diathermy.
How to treat tonsillitis in adults: recovery after tonsillectomy
For those who suffer from tonsillitis and are interested in how to treat tonsillitis in adults once and for all, the answer is one - the removal of tonsils.
- On average, after the operation, recovery takes 5 to 7 days. You may feel uncomfortable for up to two weeks after the operation.
- People who have undergone tonsillectomy should refrain from attending work for two weeks. This will reduce the chance to "pick up" the infection from a sick colleague.
- Speaking about how to treat tonsillitis in adults, we can not fail to mention that after tonsillectomy it is necessary to drink a lot of liquid, but avoid acidic drinks such as orange juice, since they will "sting" the unhealed throat.
- It is important after removing the glands to brush your teeth regularly, it helps fight infection in the oral cavity.
- Pain sensations usually occur within the first week after the operation and gradually disappear for the second week. Pain in the ear is a side effect of tonsillectomy and does not give cause for concern.
It is worth noting
After the tonsils have been removed, a white coating appears in the throat. Once the throat is completely healed, it will gradually disappear. This process will take about two weeks.
Than to treat tonsillitis in a small child
Sore throat is a classic symptom of tonsillitis, but it may be difficult for parents to understand that the child has a sore throat if he can not speak yet. Watch for a decrease in appetite and saliva. Sometimes a child with tonsillitis may experience excessive salivation, because it hurts to swallow.
Than to treat a tonsillitis at the child till two years? The best treatment is symptomatic help.
- Acetaminophen or ibuprofen can help relieve pain and fever.
- Offer the baby soft foods, such as bananas or pudding, and exclude from his diet tough foods such as toast.
- Encourage fluid intake. With tonsillitis, the organism of babies can easily become dehydrated, because they do not want to drink, if swallowing causes them discomfort. Let them drink gradually, but often. Soup, ice cream and fruit ice cream are also counted as liquids.
Talking about how to treat tonsillitis in a child, it is important to say and about what to treat is not worth it. Antibiotics are usually not prescribed in the treatment of tonsillitis, because these drugs treat bacteria, and most cases of tonsillitis are caused by the virus..
Symptoms of chronic tonsillitis in adults. Cause of the disease and treatment
Everyone knows what a sore throat is. During the development of the pathology, the patient has unpleasant symptoms, some of which even interfere with the habitual way of life. Often, throat diseases doctors call tonsillitis. It can flow in acute and chronic form. It is the last form of the disease that will be discussed later. From the article you will find out what can be the symptoms of chronic tonsillitis in adults. Also find out something about the methods of its treatment.
Before you tell us what are the symptoms of chronic tonsillitis (in adults or children), it is worth paying a little attention to the acute form of the disease. It is with her often begins the development of the described pathology.
Acute tonsillitis, in fact, is an angina. The main symptoms of the disease are sore throat, fever, general malaise, an increase in lymph nodes and so on. The cause of this pathology is a bacterial infection. It is caused by staphylococci, streptococci and pneumococci. These bacteria affect the tonsils from the outside. They can enter the human body by direct contact with an infected or domestic route. The absence of timely and correct treatment of acute tonsillitis translates the disease into a chronic form.
What is chronic tonsillitis?
If during an acute form of the disease the infection affects the larynx from the outside, the chronic tonsillitis develops directly from the tonsils. Bacteria, which were described above, colonize the entire lymphoid tissue. And with the slightest decrease in immunity - are activated.
The exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis may be manifested by signs that characterize the common angina. Let's try to understand what are the symptoms of chronic tonsillitis. In adults, they are defined much more clearly than in children.
Patient's feelings: complaints
- In the chronic form of the disease in the stage of remission in humans, there is almost never a temperature increase. However, if you use a thermometer, you can see on it values up to 3 degrees.
- An unpleasant smell from the mouth is present in almost all people suffering from chronic tonsillitis. All because of the fact that there are bacteria in the tonsils.
- General malaise. Patients can complain of rapid fatigue, irritability, a feeling of dryness in the throat. They constantly want to moisten the larynx with water.
What does the doctor see?
If you come to the reception to a specialist, he will listen and write down all the complaints in the card. After that the otorhinolaryngologist will necessarily make an inspection. During the procedure, other symptoms of chronic tonsillitis can be determined.
In adults, the disease is characterized by swelling and looseness of the tonsils. Despite the stage of remission, the tonsils have a lot of depressions, in which there is a white accumulation of curd-like consistency. When the wells are cleaned, the surface of the mucous membrane remains red and inflamed.
If an adult has chronic tonsillitis, an increase in lymph nodes is an optional indicator. However, in most patients, small knobs are identified on the neck and occiput. Increased pharyngeal tonsils can also be probed through the skin under the jaw.
Symptoms of exacerbation of sore throat
Chronic tonsillitis in adults can be exacerbated with a certain periodicity. More often it happens in the cold season, when the patient lacks vitamins and there comes a decrease in immunity.
- During an exacerbation the body temperature rises. Its level reaches 39 degrees.
- The patient has a strong puffiness of the tonsils with the secretion of a viscous purulent secretion.
- There is a pain in the throat when swallowing, dryness, pershenia, cough.
- Often, exacerbation of chronic tonsillitis affects the nasopharyngeal tonsils - adenoids. There is a development of rhinitis.
- Lymph nodes, which could have been enlarged earlier, become more and more painful at this moment.
- The general intoxication of an organism against the background of infection spread is determined.
Why does the disease develop?
You already know that there are two main forms of tonsillitis. Chronic angina appears due to improper treatment of acute disease. Often the reason for the emergence of pathology is the uncontrolled use of antibiotics, antipyretics. As is known, during an increase in temperature, the body struggles with infection, the secretion of antibodies. Most microorganisms die at the moment when the level of your thermometer reaches the level of 38 degrees.
The cause of chronic tonsillitis can be diseases that occur in neighboring areas - dental caries, adenoiditis, sinusitis and so on. The aggravation of the disease develops due to low immunity, bad habits, malnutrition and lack of prevention of the disease.
Surgery: a controversial issue
Depending on what has chronic tonsillitis symptoms, and the treatment should be appropriate. If the bacteria in the tonsils are toxic to the body and greatly reduces the quality of life of the patient, surgical treatment is often suggested.
The procedure is under anesthesia. After it is carried out, the source of the disease disappears - the affected tonsils. However, doctors are dual to manipulation. After all, the lymphoid tissue is also the protector of the body. After its removal, the infection will go unhindered to the respiratory tract.
Antibiotics: is there a need?
Treatment of the disease often involves the use of antimicrobial agents. Doctors can recommend you such drugs as Amoxicillin, Flemoxin, Amoxiclav, Sumamed, Azithromycin, Biseptol, Suprax, Ceftriaxone and many others. In order to choose the right tool for you, you need to conduct research.
From the area of the pharynx, the lab technician takes a smear. After that, the sensitivity of microorganisms to certain preparations is studied. Only effective means are assigned. After all, to many of the listed compounds the bacteria can have resistance.
Treatment of pharynx with antiseptics and antimicrobials
May have tonsillitis complications. These are kidney pathologies or cardiac dysfunction. Therefore, it is important to follow all the points described by the doctor. Often, doctors with angina design treatment of throat. However, patients are careless about this, believing that antibiotics will be enough.
To treat affected tonsils prescribed such means as "Lugol "Chlorophyllipt "Miramistin" and so on. At the same time, lozenges for resorption with antibacterial effect, for example, "Grammidine can be administered.
Additional funds to help cure angina
Has chronic tonsillitis consequences in the form of reduced immunity. Therefore, immunomodulatory compositions are prescribed for therapy. It can be such drugs as "Anaferon "Isoprinosine "Likopid" and so on. They are taken only on the advice of a doctor.
Also, to restore a person need vitamin complexes. They can be purchased independently in each pharmacy network.
If it is found on tonsils, the plaque is removed. There is a manipulation in a hospital. The doctor uses a special tool to squeeze out a purulent secret from the depressions. After that, the tonsils are carefully treated with an antiseptic.
For the treatment of chronic tonsillitis in the acute stage, folk medicine is also used. This rinse with a decoction of chamomile and sage, hot drink, tea with honey and lemon, eating garlic and onions. The purpose of such events is to cleanse the tonsils and improve immunity. However, folk remedies are not always able to cope with the disease. In most situations, competent conservative therapy is necessary, in the absence of which complications and additional ailments develop.
A small conclusion: the outcome
You already know what chronic tonsillitis is. Symptoms and treatment of the disease are presented in your article. This pathology is very unpleasant and dangerous. Therefore, when the first symptoms of the disease should not engage in self-medication. As soon as possible, show your doctor and get qualified help. Always remember that the process can be complicated by diseases such as bronchitis, pneumonia. All the best to you, be healthy!