Barley on the eye is a disease of the century, in which inflammation of the sebaceous gland, hair bulb or meibomian gland is observed. Its development is facilitated by hypothermia, prolonged stress, decreased immunity, violation of the rules hygiene, infectious diseases, including SARS and influenza, alcohol abuse, lack of sleep. Barley is external and internal. The disease progresses rapidly and lasts no more than 7 days. In this article, we will consider methods of treating barley with medicament, surgical and folk remedies.
- 1Definition of disease
- 3.2Folk remedies
Definition of disease
Barley (hordelium) - purulent inflammatory process, affecting the lower or upper eyelid.May affect the hair bulb, meibomian gland or sebaceous gland. The disease in 95% of cases causes Staphylococcus aureus, but it develops more often against a background of low immunity, stress, hypothermia.Also, factors contributing to the development of the disease are bad habits, malnutrition, beriberi, violation of hygiene rules.
The main symptoms of barley can be considered:
- inflammation of the eyelid;
- the appearance on the century of a compaction with an abscess, which in due course should mature and open independently;
- redness in the area of the pustule.
Also, the symptoms of this disease are itching, foreign body sensation in the eye, increased tearing.If the pathology develops against the background of a common infectious disease, the patient may also experience dizziness, fever, nausea and lack of appetite, a general weakness.
In the most severe cases, the patient has an increase in cervical lymph nodes. Such a symptom is an indication for urgent medical treatment.
In medicine, distinguish between internal and external barley. The first develops against the background of the defeat of meibomian glands, the second is formed when the sebaceous glands are blocked. Internal barley has a longer course, it often gives such complications as haljazion.
Patients who have discovered the symptoms of barley, you need to contact an ophthalmologist.He will be able to establish a diagnosis at the first examination with eyelid twisting in side lighting.This diagnosis is sufficient if the patient has developed barley for the first time.
If a person often relapses barley, he should be additionally diagnosed with an endocrinologist, dermatologist and gastroenterologist. He may also be given additional tests for glucose in the blood and urine, tests for demodex and eggs of helminths. Carrying out of such researches allows to establish the reason of development of disease and to pick up the most effective methods for its treatment.
Barley, both external and internal, is well treatable.In most cases, therapeutic methods are used to combat it, involving the taking of local drugs, as well as vitamin complexes and antibiotics (in the presence of bacterial infection).To eliminate the symptoms of the disease and alleviate the general condition of the patient, folk remedies can be used. They can be used only after agreeing such treatment with a doctor.In extreme cases - with prolonged inflammation of the meibomian gland and large amounts of barley - treatment of internal barley in the lower eyelid is performed surgically with a reconstructive medication therapy.
Patients who have not yet ripened barley are advised to regularly wipe the affected area with antiseptic drugs, including ethyl alcohol and calendula tincture. On the recommendation of a doctor, you can speed up the process of ripening the pustule. To do this, you can use UHF, thermal compresses, as well as a blue or bioconon lamp.
Warming barley at home can be done if the patient does not have an elevated temperature. Otherwise, you need only use antiseptic drugs.
After opening the pustule, it is necessary to bury the eyes with antibacterial drops of Floxal or Cyproed.You can also pawn antibacterial ointments for the lower eyelid. Most often for these purposes apply tetracycline or hydrocortisone ointment.
All preparations used for eye treatment should be at room temperature. The use of cold ointments or drops can cause hypothermia of the optic nerve.
To improve the general condition of the patient, during the whole period of treatment it is necessary to take vitamin complexes with an increased content of vitamin C.If a person has a fever, he can give Ibuprofen or Paracetamol.
Treatment of barley may involve the reception of folk remedies.For this purpose, the following can be used:
- Warm compresses.For them you can use sachets with black tea. They contribute to the maturation of barley. Warm compresses should be applied to the eye 3-4 times a day, leaving the remedy on the eyelid for 5-10 minutes. Instead of regular tea, you can use a decoction of chamomile. Prepare it this way - take a tablespoon of pharmacy grass, pour it with boiling water and insist for at least a day. The finished product is decanted, is collected on the cotton wool and applied to the eye.
- Lotion based on aloe.To prepare such a tool, you need to cut an aloe leaf, grind it, pour water and leave it for 8 hours to infuse. After this, the product must be filtered, moistened with a fleece and put it on the eye for 20 minutes.
- Herbal preparations.To prepare this remedy you need to take a tablespoon of St. John's wort, marigold and chamomile, mix them and pour a glass of boiling water and leave to infuse for an hour. After this, the agent will need to be expressed and add to it 5 drops of propolis tincture. In the resulting mixture, you need to dip a cotton swab, and then treat it the damaged part of the century.
- Infusion of fennel.This tool is also used for making compresses. Prepare it this way: 2 tablespoons of the collection pour a glass of boiling water, and then put for a quarter of an hour in a water bath. Then it is decanted, cooled, dampened with cotton wool or tampons and treated with a lid.
- Carrot and oil juice.This tool is used to lubricate the eyelashes. For its preparation take a teaspoon of carrot juice, castor, dog-rose and sea-buckthorn oil. All components are thoroughly mixed, and then applied to the eyelashes with a special brush.
Before using any folk remedy, you need to make sure that you do not have allergies to it. To do this, you should first apply a small amount of broth to the elbow bend and wait a few hours. If you do not have any allergic reaction, the folk remedy can be used.
If during the first week of the patient there are no improvements, the pustule does not open himself, but The inflamed area strongly presses on an eyeball, the doctor can make a decision about surgical removal barley.In the course of it, the abscess is opened, the purulent contents are removed, and then an antibacterial ointment is placed on the affected area of the eyelid.
If the patient is infected with meibomian gland, remove the hard part of the inflammation, then remove the pus and lay the antibacterial agent on the place of barley formation. The eye is closed for several hours with a monocular bandage.
After such treatment, the patient does not remain visible traces of surgical intervention on the eyelid. Usually patients tolerate surgery well. Any complications with this method of treatment are rare.
To avoid the appearance of barley, you must follow simple rules of prevention.They provide:
- compliance with personal hygiene rules, use only personal towels and handkerchiefs;
- balanced nutrition, eating foods rich in vitamins and minerals;
- use of vitamin complexes in autumn and winter;
- protection from stress;
- compliance with sleep patterns;
- timely treatment of any infectious diseases, refusal of self-treatment;
- refusal from bad habits, including smoking and alcohol abuse;
Also, in order to prevent barley, it is very important not to allow hypothermia of the body, especially in the spring period, when immunity in many is weakened. To do this, it is very important to always dress for the weather, avoid drafts, and air flows from air conditioners.
In general, barley is one of the most common diseases that occur in ophthalmology. It can occur against a background of a viral or bacterial infection that is introduced into the body, often occurs with hypothermia, weakened immunity or during stress. There are external and internal forms of the disease. Barley can be treated with medicines very well.To get rid of it, you need to contact an ophthalmologist, undergo a screening and further therapy using all prescribed medications and procedures.And then you can easily heal it.