Often, the first weeks and months of a newborn's life are overshadowed by his anxiety, caused by painful sensations in the tummy - colic that appear due to the immaturity of the gastrointestinal tract of the crumbs.
The digestive system of the baby is at the very beginning of development, and therefore, during digestion of food, it may have gases and difficulties with bowel evacuation. All this is the cause of colic.
It is important to understand that colic is not a disease or pathology, but a painful, but physiological and non-dangerous condition. The first colic may appear in babies after two to three weeks after birth and last up to four months. They arise in absolutely healthy children, with excellent appetite and normal development.
- Causes of
- Help and recommendations
- How to treat folk remedies?
The main causes of colic in children are:
- ingestion of air into the gastrointestinal tract during feeding
- non-observance of the nursing mother's diet .In order not to provoke a child to develop colic, it is better for her mother to stop using products that cause excessive gas production. Such products include: grapes, legumes, cabbage, mushrooms, kvass, watermelon, nuts, apples. Also, do not abuse the food with the content of wheat flour, chocolate, strawberries and citrus. The digestive system in each infant is individual and it is important to monitor the reaction of the baby after the mother uses certain foods;
- improperly prepared mixture of ( with artificial feeding).Here we mean the non-observance of the instructions during preparation of the mixture - excessive or insufficient dilution;
- overfeeding .It is better to feed the child less, but more often. This will avoid regurgitation and gas generation;
- child rarely or not at all spread on the stomach .This position contributes to the release of accumulated gases and reduce the frequency of colic attacks.
In addition to the above, colic can occur against a background of various diseases, such as, for example, lactase deficiency, intolerance to cow's milk protein, dysbacteriosis, or the presence of an infectious process in the body.
Symptoms of colic in infants are reduced to specific behaviors:
- Anxiety with shrill and prolonged screaming and crying.
- Gases and colic mostly occur late in the evening( after 17-18 hours).
- The baby presses the legs to the stomach, indicating that there are sharp, cramping pains in the stomach or intestines.
- Crying and restless behavior appear soon after feeding.
- Despite the pain and other symptoms of colic, the baby has a good appetite, normal stool and no abnormalities in weight gain.
- After the gas escapes, the child, as a rule, becomes lighter.
- The duration of colic attacks reaches 3-5 hours.
Immediate consultation with a pediatrician requires the following symptoms:
- the child does not gain weight or lose it;
- he has a loose stool, possibly with splashes of blood, mucus;
- intestinal colic lasts more than 5 hours a day.
Symptoms and treatment of colitis in the home.
Read about the symptoms and treatment of coccyx injury folk remedies in this article.
How to cure external hemorrhoids at home?http: //netlekarstvam.com/ narodnye-sredstva /zhkt/ naruzhnyj-gemorroj.html
Help and Recommendation
For the purpose of prophylaxis of colic in newborns, the following rules should be observed:
- Spread the baby on the tummy as often as possible. It is very useful to put the child on his stomach to his mother, thus ensuring their close contact. In this position, the stomach becomes warm and the colic recedes.
- It is very important to learn how to properly put the baby to the chest, excluding the ingress of air during feeding.
- After feeding, you should hold the child in position with a bar until the excess air comes out. After that, the baby will feel much better.
- Mom should follow the diet and certain rules of nutrition.
- It is necessary to do with the child gymnastics, which will help not only cope with colic, but also have a general strengthening effect on the body.
- In addition to gymnastics it is useful to do a tummy massage - by light stroking movements clockwise massage the abdomen around the belly button.
How to treat folk remedies?
To relieve the pain and anxiety of the baby with intestinal colic, you can do it yourself at home with the help of folk recipes and methods.
- Decoction of carrot seeds .Take 10 g of carrot seeds and brew in a glass of boiling water. Drink during the day.
- Decoction of chamomile and immortelle. Mix the dried herbs in equal proportions and boil with boiling water for half an hour. Strain, cool to room temperature and take half a cup three times daily before meals.
- Decoction from the bark of oak .Take an angelica, bark of oak and ayr in equal proportions of 10 grams and pour a liter of boiling water. Take 1/3 cup before meals.
- chamomile broth. One teaspoon of chamomile flowers is poured with one tablespoon of boiling water. Boil 10 minutes in a water bath and insist. Use as a tea leaves and drink 1-2 teaspoons several times a day. Dill water .One teaspoon of dill seeds should be steamed with a glass of boiling water. Insist 30 minutes and strain. Give the baby 1 teaspoon several times a day.
- Warm bath with chamomile broth .Such a bath will help to remove spasms in the tummy of a baby, calm it and relax.
- Warm diaper .Since ancient times, this method is used to treat colic. To do this, the diaper needs to be ironed with a hot iron and tied the baby's belly to it. It is better to use a warm diaper as a layer between the belly of the mother and baby.
- Gas outlet tube .This method is considered extreme. Use it is only when other methods and recipes do not help alleviate the suffering of the baby. To do this, the tube is inserted into the anus of the baby and by slow twisting translational movements we help him to get rid of the accumulated gases and feces.
Intestinal colic is characteristic of most children at an early age. The main thing is not to panic and to realize that this is a natural state in the period of the child's digestive and nervous systems. Many recipes and methods will help alleviate the pain and discomfort of the baby during colic at home.