Tonsillitis is one of the most common inflammatory diseases in the palatine tonsils. There are several types of tonsillitis, in any case it begins with acute inflammation, which must be properly dosed so that no complications arise. Treatment of acute tonsillitis depends on the causes of the disease, it is important to properly appropriate the necessary funds.
- Acute tonsillitis: what is it?
- Than to treat acute tonsillitis in an adult and a child?
- Treatment without antibiotics
- Treatment with folk remedies
Chronic tonsillitis: removal of tonsils Symptoms and treatment of bacterial tonsillitis Symptoms and treatment of tonsillitis with folk remedies Acute tonsillitis in a child - symptoms, causes and treatment We treat chronic tonsillitis at home
Acute tonsillitis: what is it?
Acute tonsillitis is also often called angina, an inflammatory disease that usually occurs due to various infections. Inflammation affects the palatine tonsils, without proper treatment, it passes into a chronic form with periodic exacerbations.
The code for the ICD in this disease is J03, then in the list there are other types of tonsillitis. Most often, all acute angina due to development in the body is divided into the following groups:
- Primary tonsillitis. It occurs most often, in this case its causative agent is an infection of some nature. Especially infectious children and young people, the main way of transmission of infections that cause angina, is airborne. More cases of infection are recorded in the spring and autumn, in these seasons there are outbreaks of infectious diseases of the respiratory tract.
- Secondary tonsillitis. It arises from other systemic diseases, also caused by infections. In this case, tonsillitis is a complication of the underlying disease.
Thus, various infections are the main causes of acute tonsillitis. Most often, people with weakened immunity are infected, those who are in constant contact with already sick people. The likelihood of getting infected increases in people spending a lot of time in a large team.
Important!After infection, an infection can take several days, before a person feels the symptoms of malaise.
Symptoms of the disease often depend on the type of tonsillitis. The most easily catarrhal, the most difficult - necrotic. The main symptoms of any sore throat are severe sore throat and fever, other symptoms depend on the type of lesion:
- Acute catarrhal tonsillitis is characterized by low temperature and no signs of intoxication. Inflammation very rarely affects the tonsils, it passes several days after the onset of the disease, sometimes passes into a sore throat of another form.
- Acute lacunar tonsillitis is characterized by a defeat of the tonsils with the appearance of a purulent deposit in their area. At the same time, it does not go beyond the tonsils, it is easily cleaned without the appearance of bleeding. With this type of angina, the temperature rises to 39-40 degrees, symptoms of intoxication are observed.
- Acute follicular tonsillitis is characterized by the appearance of follicles, small formations, on the tonsils. The follicles are suppressed, when they are opened, a purulent deposit is formed that does not spread beyond the tonsils. With this type of angina, there is a high fever, all the symptoms of intoxication.
- Acute necrotic tonsillitis is the most serious form of the disease. On tonsils are formed areas with a dark touch, leaving in the tissues of the organ. When trying to remove it, bleeding occurs, and necrotic areas may appear outside the tonsils. There is a high temperature, the symptoms of intoxication are particularly pronounced, nausea can reach vomiting, there is a fever and confusion.
On a background of an acute tonsillitis various complications can be observed. Some of them develop almost immediately after the onset of the disease, such complications include otitis, sinusitis, various abscesses in the oral cavity, lesions of the lymph nodes.
There are also late complications that develop a few weeks after the onset of tonsillitis. They include articular rheumatism, rheumatic carditis and others, they develop due to incorrect or untimely treatment, as well as with extensive infectious lesions.
Acute tonsillitis in a child usually proceeds much more heavily than in an adult, it is more likely that complications develop. This can be explained by the fact that the children's organism is much weaker, more susceptible to various infections.
The correct diagnosis is made when analyzing the whole picture of symptoms, blood analysis, pharyngoscopy. Sometimes additional tests may be performed, this depends on the individual characteristics of the course of the disease.
Important!Without timely treatment, mild forms of tonsillitis can pass into severe.
Than to treat acute tonsillitis in an adult and a child?
When treating angina, an integrated approach is important: you need to eliminate the cause of inflammation - infection, remove the main symptoms, prevent the occurrence of complications. For this, various drugs and folk remedies are used.
Antibiotics are not used in all cases to find out whether they are necessary, should establish a kind of infection. Antimicrobial agents are required for acute bacterial tonsillitis, when the pathogen is a bacterial infection. Most cases of the disease occur in the acute streptococcal form, it is this pathogen that occurs most often.
Treatment with antibiotics should be under the supervision of a doctor, the ENT should choose the most appropriate medicine. Usually the course of antibiotics lasts 5-10 days depending on the chosen remedy, do not prolong it or shorten it yourself. In rare cases, repeated courses are required.
Usually, angina is prescribed antibiotics based on Amoxicillin. This drug is most effective in inflammatory diseases in the throat, in comparison with other analogs, less the likelihood of side effects and the development of complications. Amoxicillin can be used for adults and children, the dosage depends on the age and weight of the patient.
Examples of antibiotics based on this active ingredient: Flemoxin, Amoxiclav, Solutab. They are effective in acute purulent tonsillitis and other types of angina.
Treatment without antibiotics
Treatment at home without the use of antibacterial agents is required in other cases of angina, when the pathogen is an infection of a different kind. In addition to bacterial, acute viral tonsillitis is common. Often they flow easier than diseases of a bacterial nature.
In this case, no specific drugs are needed to suppress the pathogen, it is more important to raise the immunity and improve the body's defenses, to remove painful symptoms. To do this, use some medicine, gargling.
First of all, a patient with a sore throat needs a bed rest, if a serious case, hospital treatment may be needed, but this happens rarely. The patient should drink more liquids, preferably, plain water. The diet with angina should be simple, advise eating more fruits and berries rich in vitamin C.
To relieve inflammation and sore throat, the following drugs are recommended:
- Jox and others.
Each drug may have its own contraindications, you should carefully read the instructions for use before use. Do not take pain medication for a long time.
It is advised to gargle, it will help to destroy the infection, relieve pain and inflammation. The simplest recipe for a rinse solution is one teaspoon of sea salt for a glass of warm water. You can also prepare a solution based on antiseptic - furatsilina.
Symptoms of angina should begin to disappear after a few days after the start of treatment. If relief does not occur within 5 to 7 days, you should consult your doctor and review the treatment regimen.
Treatment with folk remedies
There are various folk remedies that help fight acute tonsillitis. They will not cope with the infection itself, but they will help to remove inflammation in the throat, strengthen the protective properties of the body.
- To strengthen immunity in tonsillitis, it is recommended to mix one tablespoon of lemon juice and one tablespoon of sugar, taking this remedy three times a day. It is also useful to drink cranberry juice or eat cranberry jam.
- Gargle with the chamomile. A tablespoon of dried grass should be poured a glass of hot water, insist for forty minutes, then dilute a little. Gargle as often as possible. The same rinse aid can be prepared based on sage.
- With tonsillitis it is useful to drink a lot of tea, you can add mint or lemon balm, lemon. These herbs help fight infections, inflammatory diseases, lemon increases immunity and resistance of the body.
By combining folk remedies and basic treatment, it will be possible to achieve the most notable positive results. The main thing is to undergo treatment under the supervision of an otolaryngologist, especially if acute tonsillitis occurs for the first time or occurs in severe form.
In general, with this disease the prognosis is favorable, in most cases it proceeds without complications. If all the rules of therapy are followed, the probability of transition of the acute form to chronic is sufficiently small.