Glaucoma is a very common disease of older people. This is a visual impairment caused by increased intraocular pressure. Pathology develops as a consequence of disruptions in the body due to the transferred diseases of a different nature. Most often this disease is noted in men and women who have reached the age of 60. However, diseases are also found in young people.
- What are the drops on the principle of action
- Drops with open-angle and angle-closure glaucoma
- Pilocarpine hydrochloride
- Prevention of glaucoma
Congenital glaucoma in children causes How correctly to treat glaucoma in the elderly We treat glaucoma with proven home methods Adenoviral conjunctivitis - effective treatment How to treat age-related hyperopia
For the treatment of glaucoma in priority use of funds in the form of drops for the eyes. This is due to the nature of the human disease and the convenience of using the drug. Let's try to understand what are the most effective and popular drops for the eyes in the fight against glaucoma, in indications for use and ways of using.
Important!Read here how to properly treat glaucoma in the elderly.
The main task in the treatment of glaucoma is the normalization of intraocular pressure. As a result of high eye pressure and poor outflow of fluid, damage and loss of optic nerves occur. This leads to serious eye pathologies and often turns to blindness.
Indications for use:
- high intraocular pressure;
- deterioration of vision;
- pain in the eyes and temples;
- acute manifestations of glaucoma. There is dizziness, nausea, vomiting.
Important!You can find out the causes of congenital glaucoma in children on our website.
What are the drops on the principle of action
By their action, eye preparations are divided into several groups.
- Drops for normal outflow of fluid, inside the eyeball. Such drugs belong to the group of cholinomimetics, they contribute to the outflow of fluid, and consequently lead to a decrease in the pressure of the eye. This - carbocholine, travoprost, latonoprost. Such funds can be used strictly according to prescription by an ophthalmologist, since they have a lot of side effects.
- Drugs to reduce the production of fluid inside the eye. Group of antihypertensive drugs. Reduction of the produced liquid helps normalize the pressure of the eyes. These medicines include: timolol, okumed, proxdolol.
Effective use of drops will be if you start immediately after the appearance of the first symptoms of the disease. Often, it is not possible to obtain the desired results precisely because of ill-timed treatment in the clinic and neglect of pathology.
Important!Read with us: proven methods of treating glaucoma at home.
When using drops, remember the features of the drug.
- At the beginning of use, it is necessary to test the patient's reaction to the drug. The fact is that the drops can act with the opposite effect. Sometimes pressure, on the contrary, rises. This is due to the individual reaction of the patient to the components of the drug.
- Each subsequent dose of drops reduces pressure. Since the drug begins to act after a while, you can not independently increase the dose.
- When using the drug, it should be changed 1-2 times a year. This must be done, because of the addiction to the drug and a decrease in their effectiveness.
Remember!Only a qualified specialist can choose an eye remedy without threatening your vision.
Drops with open-angle and angle-closure glaucoma
Some remedies proved to be very well proven in the fight against glaucoma. The principle of action is to achieve a normal outflow of fluid, a decrease in intraocular pressure.
Open-angle is the most common form of glaucoma. This pathology is characterized by a violation of the normal outflow of fluid inside the eye. As a result of constant pressure on the optic nerve, there is a deterioration in vision and its complete loss. The disease develops gradually.
At the initial stages has no noticeable symptoms. Often the patient turns to the doctor with a complicated form, which greatly reduces the effectiveness of treatment. The most popular drops for relieving symptoms of open-angle disease:
Drops are prescribed to reduce intraocular pressure. Applied with open-angle glaucoma. The dose is 1 drop in the morning and in the evening. After improvement, the agent is applied 1 drop per day, to maintain the normal functioning of the eyes.
In case of an overdose, burning, increased secretions from the lacrimal ducts, a feeling of discomfort in the eye area are noted.
Important!Timolol has many positive reviews and is quite effective in treating glaucoma.
The drug is used to fight open-angle glaucoma. Indications are high intraocular pressure and tone of the eye tissues. The dose of 1-2 drops per day. For best effect, instillation is performed before bedtime.
Side effects - redness of the shell of the eye, there may be a swelling of the eyelid. There are cases of discoloration of the eyes, increased eyelash growth.
Excellent tool, well proven in the fight against eye pressure. This drug is prescribed to treat open-angle glaucoma.
The dose is 1-2 drops per day. Doctors recommend that you perform the procedure before bedtime. Among the side effects of burning, redness, swelling. Inflammation of the eye occurs less often.
Important!Reviews about travatane, in advantage of cases, are positive.
The principle of the drug is to enhance the outflow of eye fluid. Act quickly, the result appears a few hours after instillation. The daily dose is 1-2 drops. Apply the drug before bedtime.
Among the side effects of irritation, a feeling of dryness, burning. Rarely there are pains in muscles, asthma.
Closed-angle glaucoma is characterized by a sharp increase in intraocular pressure. Most often one eye is affected. Among the symptoms there is a sharp deterioration in the patient's condition, pain in the eyes and temporal zones. Sometimes the disease is accompanied by nausea and vomiting. Cases of loss of consciousness are known.
In the treatment of closed-angle glaucoma, drops containing polycarpine are used. These include:
Drops are applied in a closed-angle form. The action is to narrow the pupil and remove moisture from the eye. The drug has a natural origin, gently and effectively acts on the body.
With acute symptoms of closed-angle glaucoma, the drug is prescribed 1 drop every 20 minutes throughout the day. After improvement, continue to instill 1-2 drops once a day before bedtime.
Important!Among the side effects of allergic reactions, lacrimation, burning and redness.
Drops are prescribed for acute closed-angle glaucomas 1-2 drops three times a day. Depending on the severity of the course of the disease, the doctor can increase the dose and duration of treatment.
Side effects may include itching, burning, tearing, dizziness, swelling of the eyelids.
Important!Do not increase the dosage of drops yourself. Treatment should be carried out strictly according to the prescribed scheme.
Prevention of glaucoma
Until now, there are no clear guidelines for the prevention of glaucoma. Some precautions will help to avoid eye disease, for this you should follow simple rules. These include:
- timely visit the ophthalmologist;
- avoid mechanical damage to the eyes;
- Avoid watching TV and working at a computer in a dark room;
- Do not expose sunlight to eyes, use dark glasses.
Take responsibility for your health and the health of people close to you, it will help to avoid eye disease.